Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

All things Lake Station

Go down 
+2
the oracle
paul87920
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
UrRight

All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty11/15/2009, 3:51 pm

paul87920 wrote:
Post Office Consolidation

As a Lake Station resident I for one do not want my post office consolidated with Miller's.

I just clicked on the article and read the responses, unbelievable! I used to work for the U.S. Post Office in Dolton, and man, can I tell you some stories! Some of the carriers drank their lunches on their routes! One guy died, the union boss at the time, staked out his house, and found the drunk dead, and tons of mail undelivered.

Another idiot who worked there, lived only two blocks away from me, and was caught throwing mail in the trash bin behind the "THEN" Arbie's restaurant in Dolton.

When the weather was unbearable, all the long-time carriers called in sick. One day, it was 65 degrees below zero, snow, with the wind factor added in. Tears flowed from my eyes and froze. I had no respite, my day was usually 7:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. That particular day I had not just my route, but three different others, and I didn't get home until well after 8 p.m.

I remember all the free samples being sent to the Post Office for us to deliver among our routes. Instead, we were told to stash them in our private vehicles, so we wouldn't have the aggravation of a heavier load.

It was privatized when I got hired, after leaving the Office of Personnel Mgmt. After I blew a whistle, the chief of the place left town, retired in Florida, and left his house for sale (back in the late '70s).

Anyway, to say they need to save money is a big joke. I despise going in any post office anywhere... they move as if they have lead in their butts and have 20 customers behind you when in actuallity, you're the only second customer in line. That's a joke. I remember being pounced on processing mail, working the front desk, hauling 500 lbs off the mail truck, doing special deliveries, and this is what the post office is now?

I wouldn't doubt for a minute that mailboxes will return. You can't beat just sticking a letter in a mailbox, and not see a face in the post office. The building will be there. Stamps will be automated through a machine with some type of technology that doesn't require a face, and everything shipped will come to your house with boxes saying, If it fits, it'll ship!" lot of baggage in the Post Office, but I say, until my generation takes over, allow the senior citizens to have access to what they are used to. They don't have the means to travel in a bad neighborhood to pick up their mail or even in another good neighborhood. Leave it alone, and start smiling at your customers, postal workers. You someday will be automated out. Until then, leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/5/2010, 4:31 am

Another Gaboian Going To Prison

I just wonder if he's any relation to murderer Jason Gaboian convicted just a few years earlier.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/5/2010, 9:33 am

paul87920 wrote:
Another Gaboian Going To Prison

I just wonder if he's any relation to murderer Jason Gaboian convicted just a few years earlier.

You know I just happened to read that and thought the exact same thing. I'd bet that there is. Same area,same drug of choice.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty2/14/2011, 3:29 am

The primary race for Lake Station has begun. There are currently no Republicans in the race yet. Personally, I think that sad. I'm more left-leaning, but I'd like to see the Democrats have to work to keep their jobs. It makes better politicians out of them.

Soderquist is running for re-election. He's been under a lot of fire in the papers, but he's related to half the city. He does things that I like. (green initiatives, Grand Boulevard Lake) The Riverwalk Subdivision was a huge flop. However, it's come at the expense of the city. He blames the city's debt on 12 years of Wadding. To be fair there's truth to that statement. However, what you never hear from him is a solution.

He managed a primary opponent. Durall. He was opposition to Wadding, and now Soderquist. He's a city watchdog. I don't know what to think of him.

His chances of winning are increased if others do not enter. Last election saw both a Wadding ally, and a woman who appealed to the Hispanic vote. Their votes combined were enough to topple Soderquist.

Samuels doesn't know what she's doing. She's unopposed for clerk-treasurer and will likely remain that way. She's a comical puppet of the mayor.

Judge Chris Anderson's also another mayoral puppet.

Szostek and Lara are at-large. Puppets of the mayor. (Notice a trend?) They are being opposed by Josie Collins. She's a former 2nd district councilwoman ousted last election by a Soderquist puppet. She was an independent voice and often subjected to ridicule by the Soderquist and Wadding camps as a result. A new face Rocha-Baldazo is on the list. I do not know much about her. I do fear that she may siphon needed Collins votes.

In my district McDaniel runs unopposed. He's a nice guy, but a Soderquist puppet. His accomplishments for our district amount to getting the pothole on Central that was next to the "Welcome to Lake Station" sign fixed. Meanwhile, this last term he allowed our district to lose the police station and fire station that was located here. Students walking to Bailey still have to dodge flying cars on Michigan Ave. or walk on the train tracks. Oh yeah, and the penis spray-painted on the side of the old dry cleaners is still there. But hey, we got that pothole fixed!

District 2 has puppet Huddleston running against Gutzmer and Miller. Unfortunately, he has a good chance of winning.

D3 has Rogers unopposed. I don't know much about him.

D4 has Pedroza against Ralph. Both are unaligned as far as I know.

D5 has Moss and Mendez as new faces, and puppet Long. Rick Long is a particularly cantankerous asswipe. I look to see him win again.

I would really like to see a more active Republican or third party in Lake Station. People with genuine good intent for the city are just absolutely silenced by alliances like the current Soderquististas and the former Waddingers.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty2/22/2011, 7:42 am

Have a question...if you are driving EAST on I-94E, and you exit at the "Ripley Street" south...when you enter that part of town, is that called, "Lake Station?"

Home of those "Buy Here Pay Here" car lots?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/14/2011, 11:05 am

UrRight wrote:
Have a question...if you are driving EAST on I-94E, and you exit at the "Ripley Street" south...when you enter that part of town, is that called, "Lake Station?"

Home of those "Buy Here Pay Here" car lots?

Yes. If you exit Ripley North you're also in Lake Station until you reach somewhere around US20. I'm not sure where the border is, but if you go far enough north you end up in Miller.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/14/2011, 11:07 am

There's an updated candidate list, and I will definitely post soon. 2 more mayoral candidates, 1 Democrat, and 1 Republican. A plethora of other council candidates too. Looks like it might be an exciting election year.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/14/2011, 11:18 am

Environmentalist's Dream

Quote :
The new municipal complex, being built at Central Avenue and Grand Boulevard, will include environmentally friendly features such as a wind turbine, three rain gardens, an underground geothermal system for heating and cooling, solar lighting and a green roof system.

This complex has evolved, and with it so has my opinion. When it's complete we'll actually be able to sell energy back to NIPSCO. I'm pretty happy with this decision, and it's a source of community pride.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/14/2011, 1:08 pm

paul87920 wrote:
Environmentalist's Dream

Quote :
The new municipal complex, being built at Central Avenue and Grand Boulevard, will include environmentally friendly features such as a wind turbine, three rain gardens, an underground geothermal system for heating and cooling, solar lighting and a green roof system.

This complex has evolved, and with it so has my opinion. When it's complete we'll actually be able to sell energy back to NIPSCO. I'm pretty happy with this decision, and it's a source of community pride.

Sounds like progress for the future.

Paul, I am now familiar of where Lake Station is. Always thought it was Hobart.

My best friend, Bon and her family lived most of their lives in Hegewisch.

I was so confused, thought it was Merrillville, south of Route 30. Turns out it is Hobart where they all relocated from IL.

Now, is Lake Station a nick name part of Hobart in that area south of Route 30, or is it called Hobart like my best-friend says?

I am trying to figure out if Lake Station is really Hobart.

Only because though they call "Robertsdale"' - Robertsdale, it actually is Hammond. Correct?

Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/14/2011, 5:02 pm

Lake Station is it's own city complete with a mayor and city council completely separate from Hobart.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/16/2011, 9:00 am

Confused. Hobart would be south of Route 30, then...south of Lake Station?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty3/17/2011, 1:52 am

Nope. Hobart is south of Route 6. Lake Station is north of Route 6.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty10/21/2011, 9:19 am

I haven't updated this in awhile, and although I doubt many are interested, I'd love to give an update.

Dirty, dirty politics here in Lake Station. We had an independent candidate for mayor who was disqualified in the dirtiest way. As an independent you can file before the primary in May or after the primary as a write-in. Brian filed before the primary in May. Now right before the write-in cutoff date, (I believe it's in August) an "appointed", unpaid, former Lake Station police officer with a potentially shady past, filed a complaint regarding Brian's paperwork. Even though the "complaintaint's" paperwork was not completed correctly either, the Democratic board and their hired attorney booted Brian off the ballot. He was stuck then as he couldn't run as write in either. Now, if you do research, it is noted I do believe, unless they changed it, if the clerk accepts the paperwork, you are on the ballot. He appealed, and I hate to say lost his appeal.

It gets better...

The environmentally friendly building I praised (regretfully now) was done on the dime of a $8.5 million loan plus interest. For the next 30 years, Lake Station will now make a biannual payment of $500,000.

I'm making friends in Lake Station. I'm becoming aware of some of the absolute crookedness that goes on in our small city. I have to be honest too. I had my motives for deleting the stuff, that I deleted otob, some of my posts over there represented unrefined beliefs that I had as a young 17-18 year old with no political ambitions.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty10/21/2011, 4:30 pm

Dirty, dirty politics here in Lake Station. We had an independent candidate for mayor who was disqualified in the dirtiest way. As an independent you can file before the primary in May or after the primary as a write-in. Brian filed before the primary in May. Now right before the write-in cutoff date, (I believe it's in August) an "appointed", unpaid, former Lake Station police officer with a potentially shady past, filed a complaint regarding Brian's paperwork. Even though the "complaintaint's" paperwork was not completed correctly either, the Democratic board and their hired attorney booted Brian off the ballot.

Wow, Paul. Sounds like these guys have POWER. It's going to take someone like you to make a big difference. I hope you keep your notes on this.

I'm so sick of dirty politicians, and lately, to my shock, police!

Read today (this is where the famous cop, Scott Peterson who's 2 wives went missing, is being held). The FBI is now investigating the Will County Sheriff's office. I am sick of politicians/public service entities hiring relatives that don't even go to school or know the law and get put in positions where they think they are above the law, and well, calls for the public to step up to the plate and expose them for what they are.

Get involved.

Blow the whitstle!

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/8327375-417/250000-in-heroin-missing-from-will-county-evidence-locker.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

All things Lake Station
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4