Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

All things Lake Station

Go down 
+2
the oracle
paul87920
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
paul87920

paul87920

All things Lake Station Empty
PostSubject: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 12:22 am

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2008/12/12/news/lake_county/docec05e6be48bb3a228625751d000899cb.txt

Quote :
"They've come in and dug up a road and left it there for months with gravel and sand going all over the neighborhood," Soderquist said.

Unfortunately what Soderquist is saying is very true. What he fails to mention is that he's done the same thing when it comes to fixing the sewer lines. Come and check out Fayette St. The street is a total mess and he's left it that way for months. Now it's winter and he can't exactly fix it now.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 12:25 am

The Sub/Student Fight

There isn't an innocent being in this bunch Alamo, Zellers, and Marino are all thugs. Alamo needed to be fired, and those two needed to be expelled. Not one of them has any grounds for suing the school district. They were all out of line. I'm not going to take either side. There's too much that hasn't been told by the three of them and they just need to cut their losses and walk away quietly.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 12:34 am

Lake Station Re-Developing

Quote :
She refers to the new Lake Station-based NorthShore Health Centers clinic as a one-stop shop that will provide health care to the uninsured, the underinsured, as well as those with Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance.

"We're here to fill the gap. We do see the insured because they choose us over another provider," she said.

The 26,000-square-foot, two-story clinic has a service area that includes residents in Lake Station and New Chicago as well as those living in portions of Gary and Hobart.

"But for anyone who wants to walk in the door, we won't refuse them," Wilson said.

Services that will be offered include family practice, pediatrics and obstetrics.

In addition, the center will also provide space for South Lake Center for Mental Health, a Women, Infants and Children food nutrition office and the NorthShore Pharmacy.

Some services, including urgent care and the pharmacy, which will offer low-cost prescriptions, won't open until Feb. 1, she said.

NorthShore, a community-based comprehensive federally funded health care and education center, already operates two clinics in Portage.

Lake Station was long overdue for a complex like this. For years I've been going to Portage or Valparaiso when I am sick.

Quote :
Soderquist said plans are also under way for the construction of a new $7 million municipal complex, which will be built on city-owned property near the new library off Central Avenue.

I'm not too happy about this. It's going to move everything away from the East end of town which is the side I live on. Furthermore I don't believe we can afford this and during times like these we need to be living within our means.

Quote :
Lake Station/New Chicago branch of the Lake County Library; Torabi, a four-unit retail business; J & J's, three units with office space; Central Center; Lake Station Heating and Cooling's new warehouse; East Gary Concrete; Muffoletto's Bakery; Collectors Corner; Mexican Restaurant; Deppe Dog House Restaurant; Chris Anderson Law Offices and Liverpool Paint Hardware.

With the economy the way it is, it's really nice to see that a small city like Lake Station can still flourish. I didn't know about some of these businesses, but I was ecstatic when I heard of Muffoletto's reopening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 2:50 pm

Sounds nice. Funny how LS can flourish but poor little Whiting is going down the tubes.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 5:25 pm

I'll be honest I'm not very familiar to the Whiting area, but I read an article in the Post-Tribune that summed Lake Station up pretty well.

Dangerfield Station

Quote :
Lake Station long has been the Rodney Dangerfield of Northwest Indiana municipalities.

It never has gotten any respect.

In the 1970s, the city thought it had the answer to that lack-of-respect thing when it changed its name from East Gary to Lake Station. Other than the name change, everything else remained the same.

I think it's fair to say that unlike Rodney, Lake Station has never done anything to earn anyone's respect.

Quote :
While Lake Station is a city framed by Gary on two sides, Portage and Hobart, it has great potential, in part because of its easy access to Interstate 94 and the Indiana Toll Road.

This is what frustrated me the most. We've always had an advantage with the some of the biggest highways in the nation passing through Lake Station. I-65 running North and South and 80/94 running East and West. We are literally where the Crossroads of America intersect and we've never done anything to take advantage of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 5:35 pm

Ouch! I just posted a reply and it vanished!

Well I said looks like US 41 helps make Highland's claim, but LS had the rail station. So when it closed it kinda derailed your expansion plans there. Wink
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 5:49 pm

As nerdy as this sounds Lake Station living up to it's potential excites me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 7:53 pm

No, not too nerdy. In fact a little refreshing to see someone actually excited about their community.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/16/2008, 7:59 pm

this is like the only thread i havent posted in (sorry everyone i guess im over talkative now that conversation exists again) so i figured i correct that omission.

but i commend you paul for being so involved. i know little about your city except for what i learned in covering two council meetings their for wjob about 6 years ago (woa was that an experience! for you hammond folk just think three markovichs on the council, cynthia matesovski as the mayor, and two wes miller's during the public expression!)

btw, hows the radio biz? still have a gig going?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/17/2008, 7:10 am

Well Mirage, it's my home. It has been ever since I moved here from New Chicago when I was a year old. I always talked about leaving the place, but my family is so deep rooted in the region I can't ever see myself going too far, and even if I were to up and leave my mom will probably live out the rest of her life here. I think once you make a place a home you care more about it's future. The problem with Lake Station is that many move here seeing it as a stepping stone to start out with. Young families move here, establish themselves, and then move on.

It's a good thing Oracle. If we keep up the conversation this forum will not fail.

Oracle I don't know much about those people in Hammond, but I can only figure that's your nice way of saying that our city council meeting are a total circus. People scream and cuss like total idiots. It's like watching South Park when the mob amasses to complain to the mayor. Not much has changed in 6 years. I'm glad you got out alive.

Radio show took a hiatus this semester.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/17/2008, 10:43 am

Lake Station I think has great potential, the only problem is, like many cities, they never bothered to think long term

It seems the only developments are strip malls and instead of trying to re-open closed buildings,they just build new
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/17/2008, 11:40 am

You ever consider the possibility of a low power radio station? I'm not even sure it's still possible these days and would really be a labor of love but you could perhaps use it to promote the positive things in the city. Of course with the RIAA being such a PITA anymore I'm not sure if you could offer any music what with no budget and all. They all but tried to kill off internet radio stations.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/20/2008, 8:15 am

Soderquist Charges Dismissed

Quote :
Soderquist was indicted in September 2007 on allegations he illegally campaigned for Don Huddleston within the "chute" area just outside a polling place at the Lake Station library. Huddleston was running in 2006 for a spot as a Democratic precinct committeeman.

The charges stem from a complaint former Lake Station City Councilwoman Josie Collins made to the Lake County elections board and later forwarded to the prosecutor's office.

Poor Josie got quite the backlash for that one. They successfully ran one of theirs against her and he won. It's a shame. She has the best interests of the city in mind.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/21/2008, 2:25 am

So anyone who is following this thread will learn that I have a very love/hate relationship with Keith Soderquist. I don't like playing partisan politics on any level. I'm going to bitch when someone does something wrong and I'm going to praise when someone is doing something right. Well my last reply was a bitchy one and now it's time for praise.

Soderquist's First Year

Quote :
"We applied in January not knowing what September was bringing," Soderquist said.

Mid-September proved to be a devastating time for hundreds of Lake Station residents who had to be evacuated from their west-side homes.

Soderquist said a meeting with U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky, D-Ind., paid off since it was announced earlier this month that Lake Station and Hobart would share a $500,000 grant as a start toward flood control efforts.

I was extremely happy with how Soderquist handled the flood. He did an exceptional job compared to some of the other communities in the area.

Quote :
The $500,000 was part of $4.7 million in grants Soderquist was able to secure for the city this year. Some of the money already has been used for improvements to storm sewers and for a new emergency communication service.

I was happy with the way he has obtained funding for Lake Station, but I wish he had handled the storm sewer work better. They still need to fix up the streets they tore up to do the job. I mean he can't do it this winter, but it should have been done before hand.

Quote :
Lake Station also will share a $1.2 million federal grant with Portage for improvements at the intersection of Central Avenue and County Line Road.

"We've had a number of accidents there, it's been a very rough intersection," he said.

For this I felt like I really had an active role in the city. I live a couple of blocks away from this intersection. When Councilman McDaniel campaigned at my door for re-election I told him that this was one of the beefs I had with the previous administration. I'm glad my suggestion was considered and has been listened to.

Quote :
Soderquist said he has applied for $46 million involving 70 potential projects from President-elect Barack Obama's stimulus money.

Those proposals include such green projects as wind turbines and a geothermal heating and cooling system for the new municipal complex the city plans to construct.

This would be very beneficial for the city. I look forward to watching this go down.

Quote :
This year, the city has seen a revitalization in its downtown, particularly on Central Avenue, with the opening of a number of new businesses and the remodeling of some former businesses, he said.

I like driving through the city and seeing these improvements. Mock Park is beautiful. People actually use the park all the time now (weather permitting). The library is something to be proud of. Central Center has been brought out of the 70's

Quote :
Soderquist said he also is working with the Lake Station Chamber of Commerce on a Shop Lake Station program that would encourage residents to do their shopping in the city.

That program could include giving free T-shirts or mugs or even a percentage off water and sewer bills for those who provide $150 in receipts from purchases made at businesses in the city.

'We want to ensure people shop in Lake Station and we're doing our part," Soderquist said.

I like frequenting the businesses in Lake Station. It would be very nice to encourage others to do the same.

Quote :
Plans for downtown revitalization include construction of a $7 million municipal complex to be built on city-owned property near the library off Central Avenue.

I somewhat like this idea, and I somewhat don't. It frees up prime business space, but it moves things like the police and fire station away from my home.

Quote :
A sports complex, new park band shelter and an ice rink at Riverview Park are among Soderquist's future plans.

These all sound fantastic. What I'd really like to see is a decent sit down restaurant in Lake Station.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/24/2008, 2:47 pm

Hi Paul!

Are you familiar with "Lisa's Lounge?" It's in Lake Station, and it is a friend that owns it...

Haven't talked to her in a few years, is that place still open? Just wondering.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/25/2008, 1:06 am

UrRight wrote:
Hi Paul!

Are you familiar with "Lisa's Lounge?" It's in Lake Station, and it is a friend that owns it...

Where was Lisa's Lounge? Is that in New Chicago? Do you remember the address? If I'm thinking of the place it's right off of 6 near the Red Rooster. I'm almost positive if that's the place that it is still open.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/29/2008, 3:21 am

Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/30/2008, 5:07 am

Police Brutality Leads to Lawsuit Against Lake Station

Quote :
The suit accuses the city of failing to train and control Haas.

I don't know how they can accuse Lake Station for failure to train Haas. As far as I know this is an isolated incident. My guess is that Haas was trained and just wasn't following procedure. And I don't exactly know how you "control" someone who is out on the job.

Quote :
Jacob Newsome is suing the city of Lake Station and Officer Ryan Haas in Hammond federal court regarding an alleged beating that opened a head wound and required five stitches, the lawsuit claims.

Why the hell would Hammond go and hire him?
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/30/2008, 8:21 am

Hammond hasn't hired him that I know of. The only mention of Hammond in the story is the location of the federal court where the lawsuit was filed.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/30/2008, 12:13 pm

AH! I see,
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/31/2008, 5:52 am

Don't Drink and Drive

Quote :
For the third year in a row, Krazy Cab of Northwest Indiana will offer free New Year's Eve taxi service in several Northwest Indiana communities.

"It is our way to give back to the communities. It is all about keeping our communities safe," company representative Linda Stauffer said.

Stauffer said the company will take requests for the free rides from 10 p.m. tonight to 4 a.m. New Year's Day. They will provide services to people in Chesterton, Hobart, Lake Station, Porter, Burns Harbor, South Haven, Valparaiso and Wheeler areas.

Those wanting rides should give a one- to two-hour notice, said Stauffer, but they will not take reservations. The last call will be accepted at 4 a.m. Last year, the company continued giving free rides until 7 a.m.

Those needing a free ride should call the company at (219) 962-4949 or toll free at (888) 445-4844.

Stauffer said they will have six taxi cabs in service tonight.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/31/2008, 6:12 am

paul87920 wrote:
UrRight wrote:
Hi Paul!

Where was Lisa's Lounge? Is that in New Chicago? Do you remember the address? If I'm thinking of the place it's right off of 6 near the Red Rooster. I'm almost positive if that's the place that it is still open.

Yep, that's the one, turn left on Rt. 6 by the Red Rooster. Gotta go see her sometime. She used to run the bar for my ex, and then opened her own. Her dad had a car lot on the corner of Ripley & and some major street. Buy Here, Pay Here. Crook, though.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty12/31/2008, 1:00 pm

Then yes Lisa's Lounge is still operational. I just couldn't tell you 100% for sure who owns it these days.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty1/1/2009, 10:02 am

Fire Destroys Home

Quote :
It was a rough year for the small mobile home park along the shores of Deep River. Few residents remain after September's heavy flooding left much of the park and its residences uninhabitable due to mold and other damage.

This park is in awful shape, and before the sad events of September and yesterday it was a hub for drug use. It's been in bad shape for a long time and the mobile home park really needs to go.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty1/1/2009, 10:35 am

Convicted Murderer Arrested Again

Quote :
Convicted of murder in 1978 in the shooting death of Frederick Linderman at Inman's Ten Pin Tap in Valparaiso, Wolfe was released from prison in October 2005. Wolfe and Linderman had argued at the bowling alley before the October 1977 shooting, a factor that Porter Superior Court Judge Roger V. Bradford used in 1992 to reduce Wolfe's 50-year sentence by 10 years.

I don't know why a guy like that ever gets out of jail, and now he's accused of committing incest. This crime is on YOUR hands Bradford.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Lake Station   All things Lake Station Empty

Back to top Go down

All things Lake Station
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next