Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hammond Times

Go down 
+5
paul87920
UrRight
BigFan
Artie60438
hammonite
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/21/2011, 7:50 pm

KarenT wrote:
I have to disagree with you. I really enjoy reading the paper - not the online version. I check that, but it's not breakfast without a real paper.
I agree,but in the not too distant future I doubt if they'll still be publishing 7 days a week. Their display advertising has dropped off a cliff.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/21/2011, 7:53 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
UrRight wrote:

The NWTimes will be out of business I swear, within two years.

On what, exactly, do you base this insightful financial analysis?

What do you ever read paying 75 cents for that makes it worthwhile?

I dont like reading "news" I read two days prior from other newspapers.

I especially don't care for their "biased" local news reporting.

You can read it on-line for free. No one would pay to read it if they chose to make it an on-line newspaper. They are biased, their reporters are behind the times, scrambling for something to write..and well, I say eventually they will be out of business.

You can't even find a darn vending machine with their paper in Calumet City, if you want to drop three quarters, that used to never give you the paper anyway. Those vending machines kept your money. I quit gambling on those machines.

Anyway, total, stupid newspaper, compared to others.

Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/21/2011, 8:02 pm

KarenT wrote:
I have to disagree with you. I really enjoy reading the paper - not the online version. I check that, but it's not breakfast without a real paper.

Karen, my sis and I are the same way.....gotta have our newspaper while eating breakfast..or later at night, when bored.

But I don't put the money down for The Times anymore. If I want real news, I go to post-trib.com.

They actually carry more articles OUTSIDE of Hammond, and I just enjoy it more.

I buy what my sis in law loves..Trib, Trash Sun-Times, Herald News, and some other newspaper. We read four a day.

But I won't buy the Times because the SouthtownStar covers the areas where the Times miss in their IL edition. Usually they report 2 days after the SouthtownStar...my sis even reads some newspaper geared toward the Kankakee area.

My brother buys the Wall Street Journal, the "Journal" and some stock type newspapers. The freaking one bin out of two are full of newspapers.

Gotta have our newspapers...but not the ones not worth throwing in the recycling bin without reading.

All in all, the ones we read..when I go on-line with NWI.Times, I already read the suburban news 2 days earlier. Most articles are AP articles...concerning politics in Indianapolis, (i.e. the troopers, the unions, etc) was already mentioned they were going to demonstrate in Indianapolis 2 days before the "Times" reports it. What they reported, made me laugh. (Regarding the union crap). No big deal..I read national newspapers, individual state newspapers, and comparing them to The Times...

NO comparison.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/21/2011, 8:09 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
UrRight wrote:

[i]Frustration on the reporting.

Intuition.

Who cares what year..they are on their way out, anyway.
[/i]

Oh, um, COMMON SENSE.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/21/2011, 8:10 pm

You must work for them and if you do, be worried. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/22/2011, 12:20 pm

No, I just think it is interesting that because you don't like the paper you assume it is going out of business. Yet you have no idea of their business model, revenue streams, cash flow and other factors that measure the success of a business.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/22/2011, 3:58 pm

well it is already quite a bit smaller then it was say a year ago which was smaller then it was 5 years ago which was half the sized it was 15 years ago.

hard to argue with the trend. 2 years though? thats quicker then my expected time horizon...but id say less then 10 for sure.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/22/2011, 6:18 pm

What makes you think that the physical size of the paper has anything to do with revenue? Do you (or UrRight) really understand the business model of a publishing company?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/22/2011, 6:49 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
What makes you think that the physical size of the paper has anything to do with revenue? Do you (or UrRight) really understand the business model of a publishing company?
I would think that the smaller the paper,the less attractive it becomes to customers to purchase individually,and thus less revenue. Some of the Monday & Tuesday editions are so small they're a joke. Then there are the things that have been discontinued altogether like the weekly TV guide.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/23/2011, 4:24 pm

I pay less than 50 cents a day, based on my bill. UR - we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this - neither one of us will change the other's mind.

I hate the Post-Trib's new website. Haven't read that paper in person for over a decade - since they stopped putting it on my porch.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/23/2011, 4:54 pm

just to be clear im not trying to point criticism at the times specifically here...just at newspapers in general. sorry to say they dont sell near as well as they used to and if ya cant figure out a way to get revenue from the net,....well your in trouble these days. theres little doubt the p t is in dire straights themselves.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/23/2011, 4:57 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Then there are the things that have been discontinued altogether like the weekly TV guide.
I don't think it's practical anymore for any newspaper, regardless of its stature or readership, to include a comprehensive edition of a weekly TV guide. There are just way too many channels out there - you'd end up with a guide the size of a phone book.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/24/2011, 8:20 am

Robin Banks wrote:

I worked in a family print shop for 10 years. We published The Times (magazine) weekly cover. We printed things for the Cal Press.

I typsetted/lay-out/designed ads for local newspapers. Food ads, etc., on the south side of Chicago. (84th and South Chicago Avenue. IMAGE PRESS, INC., formerly Elcee Printing. (Same family owned, changed the name after Pops died).

Doesn't make me an expert, has nothing to do with what you're saying, other than we did publish the Final Call for that Hypocrite, Farrakhan, etc.

So, I know how newspapers are published and the revenue involved from advertisers.

I do read the Post-Trib online...and all the newspapers.

I meant to say, while my sis in law has to have a newspaper, like the Chicago Tribune and The Herald news, I misspoke.

I am eating breakfast right now. So I'll tell ya, I read a lot of different papers online, and not just area newspapers. I read other state newspapers.

But, even though I read local newspapers, and if you want to compare, there are more stories in other suburban areas than what the Times carries.

Also, if you haven't noticed, the same articles are standing there in the "Columnists" area. Some columnists, such as Keisling, isn't putting out new columns on a daily basis.

It's just my "gut feeling" the Times won't be in business in a few years.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/24/2011, 8:25 am

Robin Banks wrote:
UrRight wrote:

Apparently you haven't noticed the quantity of content, news-relatd.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/24/2011, 11:46 am

Sure I have. But the business model of newspapers today does not depend on newsstand sales. You say you don't like the Times but yet nearly every day you mention something you read in it.

Many people still enjoy picking up the paper and reading it. In a lot of towns the newspaper is the only source of local news.

The online revenue generated by the Times and its parent company is growing rapidly and has become a major source of income. So, by suggesting that because the paper is smaller than it used to be indicates some sort of financial shortfall and impending doom for the Times really shows a lack of understanding of the publishing business.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 2:29 pm

Why pay seventy five cents when you can read better local news online while eating cereal or oatmeL, from other papers that the Hammond Times reports?

They borrow news I read the day before on the SouthtownSTAR.. One story to back up my claim for example,, is the drunken thug ordered to drive by a Steger cop after he arrested the mom for a suspended license resulting from AZ, and the story is so scrambled, yet the Hammond Times, did hey send a reporter to the Will County Courthouse? NO.

The NWITimes.com just used the borrowed news. Word or word.
'
The NWI Times has no investigated reporting, no crime reports (my precinct captain has to email me reports, in.) We all can not attend crime watch meetings - my excuse is. I can not hear in meetings unless one on one.

But the fear of printing what residents really want to know and they omit is what leads to their demise.

People want to know about the most important factor that exists in every neighborhood nation-wide. ThT is where THE TIMES "just doesn't get it!"

You would be shocked reading other local papers, such as in Orland, Naperville, Joliet how many from Hammond have been arrested for crime.

People don't want to read Associated NEWS....they want real local news , facts concerning their neighborhood, no cover-ups or biased opinions from even the columnist.

It takes me five minutes to read the NWITimes.com online. Nothing entices me except maybe the
Even those comments are eating boring.

5 out all of them are from JCMT using different poster names.you can spot him in a second, no matter what the article is about.

He can't help it folks...he has a mentality of a second grader. When he ran a poll on Mayor McDermott, a whopping six people said Mayor was the laughing stock of the nation.

Too bad he did not run the same poll on himself....a whopping 3 million would have voted him an embarrassment not only to Hammond, but for using a dead person's friendship to keep a silly, stupid grudge alive. That is disrespectful, unethical and absurd. Knowing the other side of FT, she would yell out, "I knew against my better judgement I shouldn't have left my guard down".

Funny thing is..what did JCMT have to do to gain her trust? How much did it cost him vs her allegations I was accused of being paid to be her friend by the administration and "how much did they pay you?"

I find it ironic you had to pay to be her friend, JCMT. You must've been the "NERD," Exprasso66 she met in the library.

The whole who posed as a Mexican..but she said you were just a white nerd. Chou had a hand in her life...to help her beyond the computer. Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining, as JUDGE JUDY's book title reads.

Last edited by UrRight on 2/25/2011, 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 3:03 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
Sure I have. But the business model of newspapers today does not depend on newsstand sales. You say you don't like the Times but yet nearly every day you mention something you read in it.

Many people still enjoy picking up the paper and reading it. In a lot of towns the newspaper is the only source of local news.

The online revenue generated by the Times and its parent company is growing rapidly and has become a major source of income. So, by suggesting that because the paper is smaller than it used to be indicates some sort of financial shortfall and impending doom for the Times really shows a lack of understanding of the publishing business.
According to the CEO of Lee Enterprises:
Quote :
But Junck reminded shareholders that the print newspaper product remains the main staple in the equation.

“Throughout the recession and now, our audiences are massive and strong across all age groups,” she said “Although not growing in percentage terms, print remains the backbone of our business. It provides excellent results for advertisers and a preferred experience for a majority of readers.
http://qctimes.com/business/article_6ad468a8-3f70-11e0-9a05-001cc4c03286.html
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 3:29 pm

Oh..someone was posting while I was trying to correct..that explains the reason I could not correct after previewing. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 4:01 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Robin Banks wrote:

According to the CEO of Lee Enterprises:
Quote :
But Junck reminded shareholders that the print newspaper product remains the main staple in the equation.

“Throughout the recession and now, our audiences are massive and strong across all age groups,” she said “Although not growing in percentage terms, print remains the backbone of our business. It provides excellent results for advertisers and a preferred experience for a majority of readers.
http://qctimes.com/business/article_6ad468a8-3f70-11e0-9a05-001cc4c03286.html

Here is the next paragraph from her presentation that supports what I am saying:

“At the same time, digital alternatives for advertisers and readers have exploded. We have seized these digital opportunities and are rapidly growing revenue and audiences. We see big opportunities for online, mobile and tablets.”

I suggest that those who are interested in this topic read the entire article linked by Artie and not just the cherry-picked quote he chose.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 4:20 pm

Hey, Robin...sounds like you work for dyne NWITimes.

Allow me to give you advice and ask questions and offer some real life Observants.

My brother ""and sis in law are avid readers. My sis in law loves reading her local and Chicago news. They live in the sticks, in a new subdivision and believe in saving the environment. Fill two recycling bins, same size of their garbage bin. The two recycling bins are filled to the top, one bag or two of real garbage sits in the real garbage bin on Mondays. All three are picked up every week on Monday. They save even a small piece of aluminum RENOLD's WRAP the size of a thumbnail to recycle.

TWO years ago you could find one, two different newspapers on everyone's driveway. Today, only one neighbor within our few blocks of view gets one newspaper. Imagine the gas it took to deliver it.

How hard is it to just pick one up yourself? My sis in law and brother say they discontinued home delivery of t he Tribune even though offered a year' worth for twenty bucks!
@)
Why? Because they care The environment. They lively a subdivision as far south as Crete or Cedar Lake from I-80 WEST, off BRIGGS ST. Exit.

They can't fathom some poor delivery person spending gas and mileage on delivering a few newspapers in that area when they can just pick one up on the way home from anywhere on any given day.

So...I wonder how many actually subscribe with gas prices today..to deliver the NWI Times?....and how much it must cost them time wise, gas wise, payroll wise Nd say they Re profiting with home delivery?

I sense you work for them and you should be afraid for your job if not as. Reporter, but as. Delivery person with the rising gas costs. Every paper delivered by personal vehicle has to surpass the pay and wear and tear on your private vehicle.

So, given rising gas prices...it is cheaper to avoid delivering newspapers.

Another type of job that will soon be off the charts.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 4:29 pm

I can not get to the bottom when I preview to correct what words are misspelled because the actual post only shows the top, not the bottom where the corrections should be made. I am not drunk, high or anything. This sucks that my whole preview does not show up. NOT blaming this site...blaming this I-PAD.

Me, also. I miss a real keyboard.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 4:48 pm

HEY ROBIN...just because I don't like the NWITIMES doesn't mean I don't read it for what it is worth. NO news is good news!

I have property here....my son has two, businesses going in INDIANA. OK ? Something like dog or rental registrations affect us. The stupid thing is that you can look those things up on "GOHAMMOND.com"

Some local news is important, especially when Susan ¥Brown attends council meetings...etc. The rest is trash we read the day or two before reported by the Associated Press! Reported by the PIONEER PRESS' local entities.

Lee Enterprises suck.

When Keiesling is missing and returns to keep reporting on Chicago/Emanuel, you have to wonder if he was on furlough or whatever. Why is he focusing on ,Chicago and not on ,this area..or even Gary, IN where he could be investigating what Rudy the idiot does all day? Better yet, send an undercover columnist/investigator that they wouldn't recognize to observe whT the dead weights do all day. Subscriptions would soar if they went back to the days of real time reporters not taking up space.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 4:53 pm

Who the heck reads the advertisements. When something breaks I have my own connections. As far as food...I print my coupons.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 5:22 pm

Just to add to the juice, I think funeral homes are getting hit, along with tombstones and burials.

Why pay when you are not guaranteed to rest in peace. Besides, ashes to dust, people are donating their their organs, bodies to science.

My father is a ww11 vet with free burial. He doesn't want it, neither my mom. Both are eligible. Neither want the church involved even though they are devout Catholics.

They refuse to pay anything for after death. Just stay home and celebrate our lives and not our death. They grew up in an era where the home the deceased person lived in was laid .
out for a week. I grew up, where wakes lasted four days. Tombstones larger than life, over 8 feet tall were purchased years in advance.'

You don't see those beautiful monuments being purchased today, unless you are Emil Jones with an ego problem.

Watch the funeral business die out over the new generation. Most people will donate their bodies to science. My cousin arranged for her body to be donated to science. So did her husband. I arranged my temporal bones to be donated to the scientists studying hearing in Washington DHS, DC. The rest goes to whomever they feel my body should go to for research

Theory goes with a dying newspaper industry. WallStreet charges you to read on-line, so why wouldn't you think that trend would saturate the field?

If that does happen, no one is going to pay to read the NWITimes.com online. They can't compete.

Besides, they are biased!

POINT is, people of our generation, including those like my parents, are not going to pay thousands of thousands of dollars for a landfill of dead bodies. Look at Burr Oaks, Homewood and how you, if buried where O'Hara is relocating a cemetery in favor of a new runway, for the planes disrespect the peace.
Point is...watch the funeral homes didsappear

Last edited by UrRight on 2/25/2011, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Freakinlipad)
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty2/25/2011, 6:06 pm

Excuse my typos, ok?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hammond Times
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next