Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hammond Times

Go down 
+5
paul87920
UrRight
BigFan
Artie60438
hammonite
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
hammonite

hammonite

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/5/2011, 4:06 pm

I was reading the Hammond Times online, something I rarely do. I wanted to find out what happened at the meeting in Robertsdale regarding sewer backup and my paper had not arrived yet.

I found it appalling that the Hammond Times would allow such immature user names, comments and accusations towards the Mayor of Hammond, that are not even relevant to the story.

Do you think other local newspapers allow this type of behavior? The Hammond Times is starting to remind me of The National Enquirer. Your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/5/2011, 5:18 pm

It's simply the same lack of moderation that eventually shut down their message boards. IMO,if they want to let people express their opinions,then they should have a duty to monitor the content being posted. Obviously they don't care. They prominently mention "Do not feed the trolls" when they should have said "Trolls will not be tolerated". They may as well have put up a sign saying "Welcome trolls".

Back to top Go down
BigFan

BigFan

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/6/2011, 12:24 pm

I stopped tryin on that board long ago. Too much nonsense. It's a waste of time. Jcmt loves it and has about 40 screen names.
Back to top Go down
hammonite

hammonite

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/6/2011, 2:41 pm

Artie, I was not around when the Hammond Times Message Board was up & running. From what I hear, a few of the trolls from tob are responsible for the closure of that board.

I have been compiling an email list including Chicago newspapers & television stations suggesting they compare the quality of Chicago area newspapers to the Hammond Times.

I mentioned that I am especially interested to see if other quality newspapers allow trolls to make the type of responses allowed by the Hammond Times.

It will be interesting if one of the television stations decide to run with it. I am sure the CEO’s of the Hammond Times will love this.
Back to top Go down
BigFan

BigFan

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/6/2011, 3:01 pm

The indy star is similar as is yahoo sports from my experience.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/6/2011, 6:49 pm

hammonite wrote:
Artie, I was not around when the Hammond Times Message Board was up & running. From what I hear, a few of the trolls from to are responsible for the closure of that board.
Hammonite,In all fairness,it was the Times who was ultimately responsible for the idiotic decision to allow members to instantly delete others posts,which by default would sometime delete the entire thread,by simply clicking the 'alert moderators" button. People got their posts deleted and of course retaliated by deleting others,and the rest was history. Naturally,the first person who found out about it was the #1 chronic complainer about others posts,FT.
Quote :
I have been compiling an email list including Chicago newspapers & television stations suggesting they compare the quality of Chicago area newspapers to the Hammond Times.

I mentioned that I am especially interested to see if other quality newspapers allow trolls to make the type of responses allowed by the Hammond Times.

It will be interesting if one of the television stations decide to run with it. I am sure the CEO’s of the Hammond Times will love this.
That's a great idea. What these trolls don't realize are that a lot of people reading those posts may be looking to move into the area and or purchase property. What better way to familiarize your self and get a feel for a region than read the prospective region's newspaper? Imagine what goes through the mind of prospective residents when they read those nutty comments.
Good luck with your project.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/8/2011, 7:06 pm

BigFan wrote:
I stopped tryin on that board long ago. Too much nonsense. It's a waste of time. Jcmt loves it and has about 40 screen names.

It does seem to me many are sock-puppets, not from different users. Why? Same replies to any subject bringing responses that have nothing to do with the subject.

Hijacking the news and inserting the usual "JCMT" responses that you know belong to him under different names. You can spot him in a minute.

Under other newspapers you may report it as spam, false advertising, different areas of abuse.

NWI does not give you the option to report a particular abuse. Well, the reason.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/9/2011, 7:40 pm

Everyone is leaving the north, heading south.

Sick of corruption, lying, taxes, opting for warmer weather to deal with life and have fun while coping.

That's where I am heading...way south.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty1/10/2011, 12:58 am

UrRight wrote:
It does seem to me many are sock-puppets, not from different users. Why? Same replies to any subject bringing responses that have nothing to do with the subject.

It keeps the forum relevant in searches. The other site is the top result in a google search of Northwest Indiana.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/19/2011, 8:37 am

hammonite wrote:
Artie, I was not around when the Hammond Times Message Board was up & running. From what I hear, a few of the trolls from tob are responsible for the closure of that board.

**********************************************************************************

Hammonite, back to your subject about the Times comment section after you read an article, and find absurd, unrelated comments, etc.

If you log on to the www.Post-Trib.com or say, www.chicagosun-times.com and sign up to be a member...when you log in, and wish to make a comment, they supply checkboxes next to everyone's comments. You are then allowed to check the proper box and report others for abuse, advertising/spam, Vulgar, "other", etc. A lot of the posters are banned permanently for abusing.. advertisement (selling products on-line in the comment section), which has not a thing to do with a story.

All the sister papers from Pioneer Press have the same option. (Southtown, Herald News, etc.)

The Times Newspaper should take a look at how those papers are set up. Even the Chicago Tribune has a "report abuse" box with several boxes to check. They then remove the comment. Eventually some are banned and labled as "Poster has been banned from making comments".
Back to top Go down
hammonite

hammonite

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/19/2011, 6:40 pm

The Hammond Times aka Hammond Enquirer is desperate from what i hear. Don't be surprised to see them shut their doors for good.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/19/2011, 8:01 pm

I was under the impression that they are in better shape than the Post-Trib.
Back to top Go down
BigFan

BigFan

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/19/2011, 9:32 pm

You can report abusive comments on the times as well. It's just hard to keep up with unemployed trolls posting bs 24/7/365, copy/paste, etc etc
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/19/2011, 10:50 pm

the problem with the times board is they actually review the posts before they put them up for view...so in thier case they are actually showing tacit approval of any comment on the site...and are therfore open for any liable or slander claims that may arise.

now this board for example...can simply remove a post once theres a valid complaint. and if they do so in a reasonable manner...there is no real liability towards the board.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/20/2011, 8:53 am

the oracle wrote:
the problem with the times board is they actually review the posts before they put them up for view...so in their case they are actually showing tacit approval of any comment on the site...and are therefore open for any liable or slander claims that may arise.

You sure about that? When I post there the comment never takes more than a few minutes to appear. I really doubt they have someone sitting there monitoring it in real time.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/20/2011, 9:55 am

hammonite wrote:
The Hammond Times aka Hammond Enquirer is desperate from what i hear. Don't be surprised to see them shut their doors for good.

You couldn't be more wrong. By the way, you might have a little more credibility (not much) if you actually used the correct name of the paper.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/20/2011, 11:36 am

Artie60438 wrote:
the oracle wrote:
the problem with the times board is they actually review the posts before they put them up for view...so in their case they are actually showing tacit approval of any comment on the site...and are therefore open for any liable or slander claims that may arise.

You sure about that? When I post there the comment never takes more than a few minutes to appear. I really doubt they have someone sitting there monitoring it in real time.

they do have someone approving them. when a post gets submitted they get an email in the newsroom which is monitored 24/7 so on slow news periods yeah it will get posted pretty quick as the person on duty may not have much else to do. but when stuff is going on youll often notice maybe 10 posts will get put up at once. thats because they were busy doing other responsibilities and wind up approving multiples at a time.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/20/2011, 7:31 pm

Hammonite:I AGREE WITH YOU. Went off-topic, but on-topic again.

I predicted that the other day on my post. The NWTimes will be out of business I swear, within two years.

Everyone i know say it's a waste of paper.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/20/2011, 7:33 pm

And...soy-based ink, if they use it.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/20/2011, 7:37 pm

And...soy-based ink, if they use it.

That paper isn't worth 25 cents..or, to even line a bird cage.

Inconsistent timing of columnists posting stupid crap, trying to focus on IL (Keisling), not investigative reporting...repeating articles with one paragraph changed for "updating".

I could go on, but if you think no news is "good news," buy the Times of Northwest Indiana/and Suburbs of IL.

Blandest piece of crap to even line a bird cage with.

Reporting on stories they don't even check out facts on.

I hate that newspaper. Worst one that I ever read. Borrows news I read the day before.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/21/2011, 1:14 am

UrRight wrote:
Blandest piece of crap to even line a bird cage with.

As an avid avian enthusiast, I implore you not to ever line a bird cage with newspaper. The ink can be very toxic to a bird. Always use corn cob litter. Pet stores sell it.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/21/2011, 9:45 am

LOL. I can see all the birds I want that gather around the various feeders my dad has outside the kitchen window, no matter the season. I enjoy the hummingbirds, especially. A bay window in a kitchen nook where we watch them eating while we eat!

I don't have an" inside" bird. LOL

Corncobs are standing upright (on nails) on all corners of the lower patio deck to feed the squirrels all year long. For some strange reason, the birds don't crap on the deck!
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/21/2011, 11:45 am

UrRight wrote:

The NWTimes will be out of business I swear, within two years.

On what, exactly, do you base this insightful financial analysis?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/21/2011, 7:01 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
UrRight wrote:

The NWTimes will be out of business I swear, within two years.

On what, exactly, do you base this insightful financial analysis?

Spending 75 cents for what what I can read online.

Missing articles days, weeks, maybe a month apart...Nagle, Keisling ( who is now focusing on IL), and the lack of "Letters to the Editors..."

I suspect in the future most newspapers will eventually ask us to "Pay to READ" online. Sure, if they are credible, it beats the local news I read two days later...about Chicago.

Reading about Gary's crime report in the Post-Trib doesn't exactly make me want to pay 75 cents a day for.

I get my dribble from my council woman, and my "neighborhood watch" crime unit...and get emailed everyday what the Indiana Times fails to keep up with.

Keisling admitted they are going down in the dumps. That was last year, can't remember the month.

Anyway, I don't need a newspaper to tell me crimes they DON'T report..cuz I have my back covered by Janet V, who I support for being placed on the council. She visited me, she knows what goes on...and sends daily crime reports out.

I should say, MORE THE TIMES.COM OR THE POLICE REPORTS REPORT. I get "everyday reports" from her. I send them to my childhood friend that has a cousin that owns a rental in our area. I gave him the "gohammond.com" site, to see the latest new ordinances, i.e., reporting rentals, etc.

Janet and her husband informs me more than a darn newspaper. I wish I had known them sooner, and I wish I had at least a thousand for their constant emails alerting me to crimes in the area.

They deserve a real contribution, and help on their endless endeavor. I don't care what party they belong to. They proved who they are and what they are about. I could't do without that communication because Janet knows I can't hear in public meetings, and makes sure I am informed via emails.

No comments attached; just the facts on reporting.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty2/21/2011, 7:04 pm

I have to disagree with you. I really enjoy reading the paper - not the online version. I check that, but it's not breakfast without a real paper.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hammond Times Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hammond Times   Hammond Times Empty

Back to top Go down

Hammond Times
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next