Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nice Try (Hammond) Times...

Go down 
+2
paul87920
KarenT
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty
PostSubject: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 8:30 am

Gee, this used to be optional. Now it is mandatory. More Big Brother.
The Times wrote:
nwi.com's story comments now require readers to register a valid email address to post.

By entering your email address, you will be among the first to receive information and details in the coming weeks on how to join "My NWI, which will allow you the chance to not only gather information and meet new people, but to join interest groups, discover connections between their neighbors and gain access to local businesses through services for special offers, discounts and exclusive members-only discounts.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 9:10 am

I saw this. I usually post comments under KarenT. I was totally surprised to get a call from a city department about a post criticizing them! My email has my last name, and that's the last time I put the email where they wanted it - since then, I just type some letters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 12:48 pm

Yep, nothing like getting a phone call from your "elected official" because of a negative post you put online. Been there. BUT, why don't they RETURN your call if you have a problem?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 4:10 pm

Yeah, won't be leaving any comments at the Times anymore. Thanks for the heads up both of ya.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 5:16 pm

KarenT wrote:
I saw this. I usually post comments under KarenT. I was totally surprised to get a call from a city department about a post criticizing them! My email has my last name, and that's the last time I put the email where they wanted it - since then, I just type some letters.

What dept. karen? I dont know of any dept head that is on here that would call someone because of a post on a message board and if they did why wouldnt you say what dept?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 7:13 pm

LoisLane wrote:
The Times wrote:
nwi.com's story comments now require readers to register a valid email address to post.

By entering your email address, you will be among the first to receive information and details in the coming weeks on how to join "My NWI, which will allow you the chance to not only gather information and meet new people, but to join interest groups, discover connections between their neighbors and gain access to local businesses through services for special offers, discounts and exclusive members-only discounts.
I think a private company has every right to run their free website however they choose. If you don't like it, don't post comments there.Problem solved!
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 10:02 pm

Sparks, you would be the last person on earth to back up your statement.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 10:06 pm

First they lost their board. Now the comment area where they want private info before posting...Goodbye. Times - you aren't worth a niclkle to give away my privy. I already gave that to you. But that isn't enuf for you? Gosh, not even worth hitting on your website. Good Luck, NWITimes. There is always the Post-Tribune that is at least a day ahead of you on real time news. Not borrowed AP articles. Good Luck. That place just destroyed the last piece of action that made it worthwhile to click on after you read the real news at P-T.

Say Goodbye now. They just buried themselves further.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 10:08 pm

I wasn't able to correct "nickle" up there. Site went blan when hitting "edit". What the heck is going on with this site?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 10:09 pm

Darn, even "blank" cam out as "blan" when I tried to say "Blank!" Maybe this is some new kind of fun, here. LOL
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 10:11 pm

Now look, came came out as "cam". What the heck? I'm typing 2 words a second, and it comes out different. Last try. Just proofread this, and if it comes out different, this site needs some explanation to making us out to be looney.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/16/2009, 11:28 pm

This is just rumor, but I heard that the Post-Tribune will be out of business by the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/17/2009, 7:46 am

Voter - it was a comment about the Chicago Dash service. I mentioned that we had tried to get info on monthly passes in person, by phone, and by email and never received a reply. The woman who called apologized for not getting back to us earlier, but I was spooked by how quickly (same day) she found me.

As a school employee, I'm not supposed to publicly state any opinions either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/17/2009, 4:40 pm

sparks wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
The Times wrote:

I think a private company has every right to run their free website however they choose. If you don't like it, don't post comments there.Problem solved!
But, they do NOT have the right to divulge anyone's e-mail address or IP without a court order. They use the excuse that your e-mail address is necessary to provide updates and discounts from sponsors. Bullshit! It is a way of identifying nay-sayers, and is wrong. Thing is, they are on the way out, and they know it.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/17/2009, 7:01 pm

Voter - it was a comment after a Times online article, not anything on a message board. The email address had to go from the Times to the city. They found me in the phone book, using my last name in that addy.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/17/2009, 9:53 pm

Sorry but I find that very unlikely ! As someone who has been on the discussion boards and also comments on articles frequently I find it very hard to believe that the Times would call the city and inform them of anyones comments. It just doesnt happen!!
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/18/2009, 8:57 am

Yeah, I'll agree that it's awful if they're giving out personal info, but a valid email is pretty common for responses and comments on just about every news site/blog I frequent. To be fair, though, I do have a hotmail account just for that purpose. That way they can spam it all day long and it's anonymous enough I don't have to worry about it. I log in just enough to keep it active.

'Course, that's if the Times accepts emails like Hotmail. I wouldn't post if they required my personal one.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/18/2009, 3:40 pm

KarenT wrote:
Voter - it was a comment about the Chicago Dash service. I mentioned that we had tried to get info on monthly passes in person, by phone, and by email and never received a reply. The woman who called apologized for not getting back to us earlier, but I was spooked by how quickly (same day) she found me.

As a school employee, I'm not supposed to publicly state any opinions either.
I can understand that school employees may have some restrictions as far as commenting about the school system they work for, but I find it hard to believe that public schools would have the right to prevent employees from expressing their opinion publicly about other matters.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/18/2009, 4:35 pm

Doesn't work, does it? Voter - sorry you don't believe me. I didn't comment on the article about the DASH service yesterday for that reason. Hubby tried it and it was longer and more expensive than the train. He said it's a possibility if weather delays the train.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/19/2009, 2:26 pm

all you need to do is use a fake email address.

I use haha@fakemail.com whenever I leave a comment, and so far every one of my posts have been approved

I noticed that they now allow posts that they used to not allow now that they require emails. But they do not send confirmation emails, so how would they know its fake?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/19/2009, 2:53 pm

mike3775 wrote:
all you need to do is use a fake email address.

I use haha@fakemail.com whenever I leave a comment, and so far every one of my posts have been approved

I noticed that they now allow posts that they used to not allow now that they require emails. But they do not send confirmation emails, so how would they know its fake?
Uh, 'cuz you just told 'em...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty6/20/2009, 9:11 am

well for the past few days, its still allowed

I use that, I also use others

If they say you need to have a legit email addy, I have fake ones for those also.

If it gets to the point where they want verification, I will quit posting responses, until I find a way to fake it(which wouldn't take long)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nice Try (Hammond) Times...   Nice Try (Hammond) Times... Empty

Back to top Go down

Nice Try (Hammond) Times...
Page 1 of 1