Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Scorpion

Scorpion

Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty
PostSubject: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 12:35 pm

Here's a link to the video and transcript. Any thoughts?

Transcript: Obama's Speech To Congress

[Edited by Admin. In the future, please do not use HTML IFrame commands to embed third-party video content. Use of IFrames almost always embeds advertisements along with the content, as it did with the original video from MSN. Please instead use sources that support embedded flash, such as Youtube. The above video is from Youtube, was supplied by CSPAN, and was embedded using the BBCode YOUTUBE command available on this board. From now on, third-party content embedded using IFrames that also contain advertisements will be deleted. Thank you.]
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 1:32 pm

I liked it a lot. I thought it was bold and honest. I'm very glad that he addressed health care as this needs to be on the front burner. He also made sure to mention that the deficit was inherited from Bush and spelled out his tax plan and cuts for everyone making under 250K. I also thought that the reminder that 57 Minneapolis cops are keeping their job as a result of the stimulus sent a strong message.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 2:52 pm

I thought it was good too. What I don't like is that the taxpayers are not getting as much of a bailout as the banks and wallstreet are. I see a lot of people falling through the cracks with this stimulous. My husband and I are a good example of that. My husband and I have 9 years left on our mortgage, he has been laid-off for 4 months now. We would love to refinance back to a 30 year loan just to lower our payment for the time being but we can't, we have no jobs and can't seem to find any in this economy.

I still say the stimulous would be much more effective if they gave the taxpayers making under $250,000 a good chunk of money. They could have given every taxpayer $50,000 and would have spent way less than they will be spending as it is right now.

If I had $50,000 right now I might take a vacation, go to a restaurant, buy a new car, go to the mall, etc. etc. Now that would help the economy! I'd even be willing to pay taxes on that money!

Mortgages would be getting paid, credit card bills would be paid and things would be getting back in order. Why can't they see this? The government gave everyone, or most, a $600. check almost a year ago with the same idea, get people to spend money. The problem was, it wasn't enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 7:10 pm

party42 wrote:
I thought it was good too. What I don't like is that the taxpayers are not getting as much of a bailout as the banks and wallstreet are. I see a lot of people falling through the cracks with this stimulous. My husband and I are a good example of that. My husband and I have 9 years left on our mortgage, he has been laid-off for 4 months now. We would love to refinance back to a 30 year loan just to lower our payment for the time being but we can't, we have no jobs and can't seem to find any in this economy.

I still say the stimulous would be much more effective if they gave the taxpayers making under $250,000 a good chunk of money. They could have given every taxpayer $50,000 and would have spent way less than they will be spending as it is right now.

If I had $50,000 right now I might take a vacation, go to a restaurant, buy a new car, go to the mall, etc. etc. Now that would help the economy! I'd even be willing to pay taxes on that money!

Mortgages would be getting paid, credit card bills would be paid and things would be getting back in order. Why can't they see this? The government gave everyone, or most, a $600. check almost a year ago with the same idea, get people to spend money. The problem was, it wasn't enough.

I truely mean no disrespect when I say this, and it's only my opinion, but I personally feel that it's fiscally irresponsible to say that if you got $50 grand from the gov't, and having no job, you would go on vacation, the mall, out to eat, etc. etc. IMO, another reason why the gov't shouldn't just hand out money to anyone and everyone, businesses included. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't feel for you and your situation, because I do and I truely wish you and your husband the best as well as all the other people who have been screwed in this situation.

For Artie, and other Democrats to blame this whole "recession" thing on Bush is ridiculous. Yes this happened under his administration, but it's a democratically led Congress and in my opinion, Congress is most at fault, both parties included. I think what we are seeing is the result of big government and it's incessant need to have it's hand in every aspect of our lives, feeding it's own desire for more and more power and money by way of lobbyists. In one handshake a deal is made, with the other hand, money is being shoved in our "leaders" pockets. We have "leaders" handing money to businesses left and right, all the while condemning them for the way they are spending it- yet doing the same things themselves. Why the hell are they giving these businesses the money in the first place, and why are they still handing out the money? Let these businesses fail. Stop trying to interfere and govern every aspect of our lives. Quit wasting money on pet projects. Stop making the hard working folks of this nation support those individuals who are too lazy to get off their azzes to help contribute to this society. Don't force banks to give mortgages to individuals who clearly can't afford the homes they purchase and then wonder why we are in the situation we are in. I wonder if our founding fathers thought- Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, meant by the hands of our government? Somehow me thinks not.

Do I see this economic situation getting better anytime soon- no. Why? Because as I stated above- the same people trying to "fix" this mess are the same a-holes who, I belive, got us into this in the first place.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 7:20 pm

"I think what we are seeing is the result of big government and it's incessant need to have it's hand in every aspect of our lives,"

So if Republicans want less government involvement, why do they care about abortion and gay marriage? They don't want to be involved, unless it's in the bedroom?

KarenT
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 7:34 pm

Ohhmama wrote:

I truely mean no disrespect when I say this, and it's only my opinion, but I personally feel that it's fiscally irresponsible to say that if you got $50 grand from the gov't, and having no job, you would go on vacation, the mall, out to eat, etc. etc. IMO, another reason why the gov't shouldn't just hand out money to anyone and everyone, businesses included.

I understand what you are saying here but I was talking in generalities. If everyone was given that kind of money it would stimulate the economy to the point where my husband would be working again. He is in construction. How many people do you think would be building a new house if they had that kind of money? How many would be buying a car, clothes, furniture etc., etc? It would all trickle down to the rest of us in some way or another for the good. I seriously doubt if I would be going on vacation when I don't even have a job even if I did have $50,000 handed to me today. But others would and that is what is needed to kick start the economy again.

IMO they are not giving the money to the right people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 8:27 pm

party42 wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:

I truely mean no disrespect when I say this, and it's only my opinion, but I personally feel that it's fiscally irresponsible to say that if you got $50 grand from the gov't, and having no job, you would go on vacation, the mall, out to eat, etc. etc. IMO, another reason why the gov't shouldn't just hand out money to anyone and everyone, businesses included.

I understand what you are saying here but I was talking in generalities. If everyone was given that kind of money it would stimulate the economy to the point where my husband would be working again. He is in construction. How many people do you think would be building a new house if they had that kind of money? How many would be buying a car, clothes, furniture etc., etc? It would all trickle down to the rest of us in some way or another for the good. I seriously doubt if I would be going on vacation when I don't even have a job even if I did have $50,000 handed to me today. But others would and that is what is needed to kick start the economy again.

I can see what you are saying in regards to stimulating the economy and I can agree to a point that the money isn't going to the right people, because I truly think the government should not be bailing out all these companies and I think they are only doing so to benefit themselves in the long run. I don't really know if someone would build a house if they got all that money, but quite possibly they could pay their bills and have extra money at the end of the week to breathe and do some of the things you mentioned, I know that's what I would do. Here's my fingers crossed that your hubby can get a job when Indy gets it's share of Bammy's stimulus... ><
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/25/2009, 11:48 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
party42 wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:

I can see what you are saying in regards to stimulating the economy and I can agree to a point that the money isn't going to the right people, because I truly think the government should not be bailing out all these companies and I think they are only doing so to benefit themselves in the long run. I don't really know if someone would build a house if they got all that money, but quite possibly they could pay their bills and have extra money at the end of the week to breathe and do some of the things you mentioned, I know that's what I would do. Here's my fingers crossed that your hubby can get a job when Indy gets it's share of Bammy's stimulus... ><

Thanks mama, we are hoping the same thing. We can hang on for at least another year if we have to. I'm currently listening to Oprah, don't usually do that, they are reporting on the tent cities that are springing up all over the country right now. It's very upsetting to hear what these people are going through. I can't believe our country has come to this. I've never been much of a camper so I don't even have a tent. Maybe I should get one while the getting is good. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 7:30 am

Ahh yes, good 'ol Oprah... wonder if she's kicking herself for promoting her overly expensive "Favorite Things" everyone just had to have!
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 7:53 am

What people forget is that the money the government is spending is actually our money. I know that if I want my money to go to a car company I would like a car in return. Likewise, if my money goes to a bank, I want interest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 8:17 am

$50,000 per family would be a Blessing ! If the government is really serious about jump-starting the economy, this is the only logical way to do it.

My priorities would be:

1. Pay off my mortgage.

2. Remodel/repair my home.

3. Install solar panels to reduce my blasted RIPSCO bill.

4. Replace the rest of the carpeting in my home.

5. Give to Charity.

6. Take the Honeymoon Honey and I never had. Sad

7. Put the rest into a savings account for future use.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 11:19 am

Ohhmama wrote:

For Artie, and other Democrats to blame this whole "recession" thing on Bush is ridiculous. Yes this happened under his administration, but it's a democratically led Congress and in my opinion, Congress is most at fault, both parties included.

Who decided it was a good idea to start a war with a country that was no threat to us and cut taxes for the rich at the same time? 6 of the last 8 years the R's had complete control of everything. The last 2 years the Dems had a razor thin "majority" that couldn't get anything done because of either the Repubs blocking the legislation (they set a new record for that) or Bush vetoing it. As the financial atmosphere worsened we continuously misled by Bush and the Repubs as to problems. Does anyone remember McCain's famous "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" a day or so before the stock market completely tanked? So yes,I do blame this all on Bush and the Repubs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 12:07 pm

Of course you would, and of course you would convieniently forget the facts that a good chunk of your beloved D's also voted YEA for that war. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&vote=00237&session=2

Please don't try feeding me the bs that this is all the Repub's fault.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 12:13 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
Of course you would, and of course you would convieniently forget the facts that a good chunk of your beloved D's also voted YEA for that war. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&vote=00237&session=2

Yes,but keep in mind that we were all misled by Bush.

Quote :
Please don't try feeding me the bs that this is all the Repub's fault.

OK,I can see I won't change your opinion,but I look at the results of the last 2 elections as a validation of my position.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 12:19 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Who decided it was a good idea to start a war with a country that was no threat to us and cut taxes for the rich at the same time? 6 of the last 8 years the R's had complete control of everything. The last 2 years the Dems had a razor thin "majority" that couldn't get anything done because of either the Repubs blocking the legislation (they set a new record for that) or Bush vetoing it. As the financial atmosphere worsened we continuously misled by Bush and the Repubs as to problems. Does anyone remember McCain's famous "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" a day or so before the stock market completely tanked? So yes,I do blame this all on Bush and the Repubs.
Don't you think it was a good idea to liberate millions of people from a dictator that was murdering hundreds of thousands of his own people?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 12:34 pm

LoisLane wrote:

Don't you think it was a good idea to liberate millions of people from a dictator that was murdering hundreds of thousands of his own people?

No,I don't. We took our eye off Afghanistan where the real threat was and the cost has been a record setting deficit. It's been estimated that up to 1.2 million Iraqi's lost their lives as a result.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORB_survey_of_Iraq_War_casualties

Even the Iraqi's themselves didn't think it was a good idea,as evidenced by the thousands of American casualties that occurred after the fall of Saddam.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 12:52 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

Even the Iraqi's themselves didn't think it was a good idea,as evidenced by the thousands of American casualties that occurred after the fall of Saddam.
Have you even spoken to anyone that served in Iraq? They (Iraqis) are actually thankful that we were there. Before you respond, don't ask for a link. I got this first hand from several people that have come back from there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 4:15 pm

LoisLane wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Have you even spoken to anyone that served in Iraq? They (Iraqis) are actually thankful that we were there. Before you respond, don't ask for a link. I got this first hand from several people that have come back from there.

I don't need a link either. I too, know several who say just the opposite. The majority DO NOT want us there and never did. And even if they did want us there, too bad. They should take care of their own problems. We should have stayed out of Iraq. After the billions we have spent there look at the condition of our own country now. I don't think it was worth it at all.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 4:44 pm

LoisLane wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

No offense Lois,but a few unsubstantiated anecdotes aren't going to change my opinion. If Iraq was so 'thankful",
then why did Bush have to fly in under the strictest secrecy every time he visited there and why did he never venture out of the "Green Zone"?

Last,but not least,let's not forget this last expression of their gratitude...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 4:52 pm

Sock and Awe! How could we forget? And why should we? Have some fun with this.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/26/2009, 5:06 pm

party42 wrote:
Sock and Awe! How could we forget? And why should we? Have some fun with this.

Hahaha. Before some here jump on us for laughing about it let me explain my feelings. I thought the shoes being thrown at Bush was hilarious,but only because they didn't actually hit them. If they had hit him it wouldn't have been funny at all.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/27/2009, 8:28 am

LoisLane wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Yeah, I bet the 100,000 Iraqi men, women & children that are dead are thankful too.

I bet the hundreds of thousands that mamed & wounded are even more thankful.

...and so are the 4 million displaced regugees living outside of Iraq.

Repeating absurd right wing talking points never gets old, does it?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/27/2009, 11:15 am

edge540 wrote:

Repeating absurd right wing talking points never gets old, does it?

Right now there's a major wingnuttery festival going on. It's called CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) where all the usual nutjobs gather to show off their insanity. Some of highlights were John Bolton joking about Chicago getting nuked which got a huge laugh from the crowd and some other loon still questioning Obama's citizenship. Last but not least,our favorite campaign prop,Joe the Plumber,showed up was treated like a rock star.

I believe that the grand finale includes a speech from Rush Limbecile. Stay tuned!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/27/2009, 12:55 pm

Boy, talk about taking something out of context... the libbies have a total hard on today...whew...

He was referring to Obama lack of concern of foreign policy by saying that Iran and it's possible nuke delivery on the US was a "tiny threat".

The Chicago comment was sarcasm....

He also said "The threat to the safety of any American is a threat to our nation", which drew a round of applause....

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty2/27/2009, 1:07 pm

Ohhmama wrote:

The Chicago comment was sarcasm....

Sorry,but I just don't see where the possible nuking of Chicago is funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress   Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next