Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?

Go down 
+6
FFScott
the oracle
UrRight
voter3
sparks
Artie60438
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty
PostSubject: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/2/2009, 10:44 am

Someone is claiming that Jed said he had again decided that the Mayor would know longer be on the station anymore. Anyone know the details?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/2/2009, 12:59 pm

If this is true,it doesn't sound like a very smart move to me on WJOB's part. Businesses have been trying to reduce costs whenever possible,including cutting back on advertising.In order to compete for advertising dollars,you need listeners. Why would WJOB want to discontinue a popular program like the Mayor's call in show? WJOB already has a far lower profile in the community than they had a few years ago. They used to sponsor a golf outing, participate in parades, do remote shows. These are the kind of things that draw listeners to your station.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/2/2009, 3:44 pm

I dont have any idea if it is true or not but I always liked hearing from the public and trying to solve the problems that were called in. Seems to me if Jed isnt allowing the mayor on his show that maybe he is letting personal stuff get in the way of professional stuff. that is never smart business.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/2/2009, 4:41 pm

I would like to ask a question. In every given community that I've lived in, a "Channel 3" was devoted to open council meetings, or important messages within the community, and even advertisements from fellow community members.

I do recall some type of discussion as to why Hammond or Indiana is never included or never held a private channel with news, etc. Like NBC, ABC, or whatever. Why in this day and age, does Hammond or Indiana the state, not have a prominent, independent station on TV, vs. the old 1950's way of doing things on the radio?

It's especially important, because we are a part of the snow belt, we should not hear from Channel 2 on RARE occasions whatever little tid-bits they hand out about Northwest Indiana.

Why in the heck in this day of technology, does Indiana, not have their own tv station/news/weather/crime reports, or a channel exposing council meetings like other communities do?

I just don't understand it. The demand is there, it's an opportunity to get up and get "with it" technology wise. Listening to a radio doesn't sound modern to me, even though I wouldn't be able to hear directly what is being said.

But, a tv station, with captioning, looking for a market to create jobs..here's the opportunity and I wonder why it isn't being tapped into? Why do we have to listen to three channels of Chicago, our CNN for outside news? I want to know what is going on in Indiana...not Chicago. And I WANT captioning!
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/2/2009, 5:28 pm

i hope its not true. as far as i know jim and the mayor were getting on fine. i know the mayor was out of town between christmas and new years but i believe he came back on wednesday.

ur. nwi does have channel 56 (merrillville) and they have a local newscast. the number changes depending on your cable operator and wow customers (because it originates from naperville) in hammond dont get it.

comcast does operate a local channel 3 operation for its subscribers out of its merrillville/gary office as well. but they killed thier own news program a couple of years ago (still has some local origination though), and for some reason they have never extended that reach to its hammond subscribers.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/2/2009, 6:50 pm

Wow, that explains it. I've got WOW! Naperville? So I don't get the channel 56.

What the hell does Naperville know about Hammond? We're hillbillies, they are snobs!
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/2/2009, 6:53 pm

What's it take to get a channel in Indiana, without Comcast? Think Preacher could handle that? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/7/2009, 9:46 pm

No.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/7/2009, 9:57 pm

UrRight wrote:
What's it take to get a channel in Indiana, without Comcast? Think Preacher could handle that? Smile

$$$$ is what it would take

and I doubt Preacher has enough $$$$ to do it, even with selling ads and only talking for 5 minutes at a time and taking 5 minute commercial breaks
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/8/2009, 4:17 am

Mirage wrote:
No.

well. it was a quick post, but it qualifies. welcome back! (some were worried about you)
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/8/2009, 6:54 am

I never knew a guy (preacher) who could talk to himself for so long all the while laughing at his own jokes.

I would expect to hear the Mayors show tomorrow morning!
Back to top Go down
FFScott

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/8/2009, 12:28 pm

I think the mayor will be on tomorrow to announce the new Firefighter contract approved by a 3-1 margin by the men.
But I could be wrong. Surprised
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/8/2009, 3:03 pm

that would be a good thing if so.
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 7:41 am

Guess the story wasn't true. The mayor is on now.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 7:57 am

Let me know what he says, Board Monkey...I can't distinquish the words off a radio....anything that's important or funny. LOL
Back to top Go down
Big Unit

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 10:36 am

new ff and police contracts approved according to mayor on wjob
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 12:06 pm

FFScott wrote:
I think the mayor will be on tomorrow to announce the new Firefighter contract approved by a 3-1 margin by the men.
The Mayor's show was very interesting today.It sounds to me like the negotiator for the fire fighter's union cost you $4,800 when he turned down the $100/month bonus that the Mayor offered 4 years ago for firefighters who are Hammond residents. I am surprised that so many firefighters don't live in Hammond. I will say that the cool ones are Hammond boys. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 12:07 pm

sparks wrote:
FFScott wrote:
The Mayor's show was very interesting today.It sounds to me like the negotiator for the fire fighter's union cost you $4,800 when he turned down the $100/month bonus that the Mayor offered 4 years ago for firefighters who are Hammond residents. I am surprised that so many firefighters don't live in Hammond. I will say that the cool ones are Hammond boys. Very Happy

State law dictates that they do not have to(I believe). I think there is a limit as to how far they can live away from the city as well though
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 12:30 pm

mike3775 wrote:
sparks wrote:
FFScott wrote:

State law dictates that they do not have to(I believe). I think there is a limit as to how far they can live away from the city as well though
I'm aware of that.However,it is legal to pay a bonus for firefighters who do choose to live in the city of Hammond.It's good public policy as well,IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 12:43 pm

I am not saying I don't think its a good idea, I think it is.

But I can also see why some may feel that it is showing a bit of favoritism as well.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 12:47 pm

A union is supposed to represent all its constituents equally regardless of where they live. Seems like that's what the BA was doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/9/2009, 6:52 pm

mike3775 wrote:
I am not saying I don't think its a good idea, I think it is.

But I can also see why some may feel that it is showing a bit of favoritism as well.

I honestly don't see why new hired firefighters couldn't be offered more money to live within the city or even be required to do so period. I don't care what the union thinks about it.

I can at least appreciate the case against offering a bonus to current firefighters to live in the city. I don't agree with it but I can understand it better. But I would agree they shouldn't be forced to relocate as they should be grandfathered in.

A better case against such rules or incentives I might could see in the police department, especially if they participate in undercover operations. OTOH I don't feel city cops should be running undercover operations too much and that the county and state should really be enforcing the more serious crimes. Seems like this city's police don't care much about property crimes, which is exactly what they SHOULD be doing 2nd after traffic. Especially so if you consider property crimes to be associated with local gangs. Seems to me like we have too many jurisdictions covering essentially the same types of crimes like murders and little gets done by anyone about panhandling, gangs, and property theft unless someone gets killed.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/10/2009, 9:51 am

Robin Banks wrote:
A union is supposed to represent all its constituents equally regardless of where they live. Seems like that's what the BA was doing.
I think that it is the duty of the business agent is to negotiate the best contract possible. How is it in the best interests of the members to turn down a residency bonus? One third of the Hammond firefighter lost almost $5,000
because of his decision.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/11/2009, 5:47 am

not sure if this adds to the discussion or not, the credit for living in hammond issue, im told was also a matter for city teamster workers in our last contract negotiation in approx 2007. something like a one time 1500 dollar bonus for employees that owned a residence in the city. the teamster employees voted it down narrowly, and instead asked for a bigger raise. they didnt get it (but got a few other concesssions instead such as a quarterly on time and perfect attendance bonus). and when they went back to asking for the hometown bonus again they found it off the table.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty1/11/2009, 5:57 am

the oracle wrote:
not sure if this adds to the discussion or not, the credit for living in hammond issue, im told was also a matter for city teamster workers in our last contract negotiation in approx 2007. something like a one time 1500 dollar bonus for employees that owned a residence in the city. the teamster employees voted it down narrowly, and instead asked for a bigger raise. they didnt get it (but got a few other concesssions instead such as a quarterly on time and perfect attendance bonus). and when they went back to asking for the hometown bonus again they found it off the table.
I believe it is always good policy to have the employees of a city live in that city.The Mayor made a smart move when he required the department heads live in Hammond. Employees who live in the city have a greater stake in what happens to the city.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?   Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mayor McDermott No Longer On WJOB?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next