Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty
PostSubject: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty6/24/2010, 8:40 am

http://www.post-trib.com/news/opinion/2425626,edit-maywood06xx.article

Homicide-free year in Maywood worth a look
Comments

June 24, 2010

Gary Mayor Rudy Clay, meet Mayor Henderson Yarbrough Sr. Gary Police Chief Gary Carter, meet Police Chief Tim Curry.

"Nice to meet you and how do you do? More importantly, how did you reach that amazing milestone in Maywood?"

Yarbrough and Curry last week acknowledged a homicide-free 365 days in their community, Maywood, Ill. Zero homicides in 52 weeks -- not bad for a community that racked up an average of one a month in 2008.

Maywood's last homicide was on June 14, 2009. That's the same day Gurjeet Singh, 26, was gunned down in an apparent robbery at the Gary gas station where he worked. Since then, Gary has registered 53 homicides. Maywood, zero.

Maywood, about an hour northwest of Gary, is about one-fourth the size of Gary, with 26,000 residents. The two communities have similar demographics, though poverty isn't as prevalent in Maywood as it is in Gary.

The one year without homicides pretty much coincides with Curry's tenure as chief. The 25-year veteran of the Maywood Police Department became the city's top cop on June 12, 2009.

Curry and Yarbrough credit police visibility, 79 surveillance cameras over its 2-square-mile village footprint, cooperation of community groups and schools, and the proximity of Loyola University's Medical Center's trauma unit.

Since he became chief, Curry has had the police officers focus on breaking up groups of loiterers, rounding up those with warrants and sending the others on their way. And he spends most of his time on the street, not in the office.

Some combination of factors, from police activity to community involvement, seems to be working in Maywood. Clay and Carter may be wise to talk to Yarbrough and Curry to determine if there's some way to bring the Maywood model to Gary. They could start in a 26,000-population corner of the city and set a goal for a homicide-free year, as Maywood did.

(ME) Every city/town should do what Maywood did. Congratulations to the police/and chief in Maywood.

Hope Hammond breaks those idiots up when they see them hanging around corners, or businesses.

I get approached for money at the Dollar store, the corner gas station, etc. for a dollar or some change, etc. I used to give in, now I tell them to leave me alone...there's help out there, walk there for food.

In one instance, I was asked if I wanted to buy drugs at the Dollar Store on 169th. I mentioned that before. I said, what kind...any kind I wanted I was told. Took his cell number. Usually I turn it over to cops, but lost it somewhere.

That's how I turned in a lot of them in Dolton. Take their cell number and their gang name, i.e., Bubba....and turn it into the cop station.

Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty6/24/2010, 3:41 pm

Last five days running back and forth to Menard's buying 20% off stuff to landscape the front, put new storm doors up, replace screens, etc. The kid wanted to buy two really nice chairs for the front porch.

I had already purchased a patio set and it sits in the garage locked until I want to use it...anyway, talked him out of it. Told him, "Heck, somebody will steal them when we're not here". I wanted the 7.00 plastic chairs; he wanted the 50.00 plus ones. We didn't buy any for the front porch. Thank God.

SHORE ENUF...10:40 a.m., my son's friend who had been helping replace things around here, pointed out the window and said, "Hey look, you were right...." I glanced out the window saw this black woman about 30 and quite overweight and short, really short, carrying down the middle of the street, walking very fast, trying to haul this big ole' nice chair that had to cost a hundred. Looked like my neighbors' who reside down the block opposite end of the block)...so I threw on my shoes, jumped in the car, and just that fast (30 seconds), she was gone.

I went up and down the alleys, everywhere....I assume and speculate she had a car waiting for her.

My neighbor has a fence around her beautifully decorated side/front yard that is at the corner end....missing. I just knew it. They have the most beautiful decorated yard with a fountain in front and I enjoy passing it...it just lifts you.

Glad I didn't buy the chairs....even at 7.00 buckaroos. I'll sit in the back and lock my little patio set up in the garage and not worry.

I just can't believe the nerve people have in broad daylight. Just can't believe it. I swear she had no time to disappear from me, but just that fast, she was no where in sight, so someone was sitting in an alley and picked her up. The alley is only one door away. Just speculating, but how do you disappear in seconds when the chair weighs more than you and if you were not stealing, how did you manage to disappear in 30 seconds?

I even checked out if there was a garage sale near...notta.

Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty6/25/2010, 12:00 pm

White van, man (black) asks for yard work, claims wife/girlfriend is pregnant, be on the look-out, please.

Both are desperate...what value do lawn items bring?

Think I'll catch them...got a plan up my sleeve. Broad daylight and will entice them!!!! I love playing detective....especially after getting ripped off before.

Who bets me I don't get'em? All I need is the license plates....and broad daylight.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty6/25/2010, 2:47 pm

No comments. Typical. even from Neighborhood watchdogs.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty6/26/2010, 3:46 pm

WELL, my article on Maywood...that didn't last long.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2435716,maywood-fatal-birthday-shooting-062610.article

Man fatally shot on birthday marks Maywood's 1st homicide
Comments

June 26, 2010

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE
A Berwyn man was shot and killed in Maywood Friday night -- his 24th birthday and the first homicide in a year for the west suburban city.

Jajuan Jenkins, 24, of the 7000 block of 16th St. in Berwyn, was fatally shot at 618 Legion St. in Maywood and was pronounced dead at 10:54 p.m. Friday at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. It was his 24th birthday.

Maywood police responded to a call of shots fired about 10:32 p.m. and found a vehicle leaving the area at a high rate of speed and followed it to Loyola University Medical Center, according to a release from Maywood police.

Jenkins was in the vehicle and taken inside to the emergency room, where he eventually died about 20 minutes after he was shot on his right side. The wound had traveled to his heart, the release said.

A 20-year-old woman was also shot in the leg, the release said.

A group of people who knew each other were in a fight over a previous matter near South 7th Avenue and Legion Street when the shots were fired, the release said.

An autopsy is scheduled for later Saturday.

Maywood police are investigating, although no one is in custody Saturday morning.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty6/26/2010, 4:35 pm

UrRight wrote:
WELL, my article on Maywood...that didn't last long.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2435716,maywood-fatal-birthday-shooting-062610.article

Man fatally shot on birthday marks Maywood's 1st homicide
Comments

June 26, 2010

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE
A Berwyn man was shot and killed in Maywood Friday night -- his 24th birthday and the first homicide in a year for the west suburban city.

Jajuan Jenkins, 24, of the 7000 block of 16th St. in Berwyn, was fatally shot at 618 Legion St. in Maywood and was pronounced dead at 10:54 p.m. Friday at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. It was his 24th birthday.
There goes the no hitter.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty6/27/2010, 2:44 pm

Someone must of read that article...it was in various newspapers a week before.

Bet they needed to prove them wrong!

Dang!

Bang, bang! - Your dead, so is the article. One killing a year is one too many.

Since the guy was from a different town/city, guess it doesn't matter where you are killed, or why.

Scary. I feel sorry for the police. You can't pay me enough if I was 6 foot and 4 inches tall, in good shape, with a family to take care of, to give me the courage they have to pull anyone over anywhere and risk your life.

I say the police have the most riskiest job ever...and deserve the salute we give to soldiers.

They are brave-hearts.

Except when I got a thief in the car willing to confess cuz he's so damn dumb, and they tell me to take him home, so the prosecuter can "call him". That was the dumbest thing I ever listened to...should have made a citizen's arrest by taking him straight to the police station and had him processed right away. Arrest then call the prosecuter. Not the other way around.

That's how he got away with all my stuff...probably moved on to do more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!   Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller! Empty

Back to top Go down

Wonderful Article on How To Rid of Crime - A Must Read,Chief Miller!
Page 1 of 1