Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blago to fill senate seat

Go down 
+5
Face
Artie60438
paul87920
happy jack
sparks
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 12:26 pm

If Norm Coleman would do the right thing and concede,both Burris and Franken would get seated immediately,IMO.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 12:30 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
If Norm Coleman would do the right thing and concede,both Burris and Franken would get seated immediately,IMO.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not following your logic on this. How would Burris benefit from Coleman's concession?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 12:32 pm

What does Burris have to do with Coleman?
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 12:37 pm

party42 wrote:

Not one darn thing. Two entirely different sets of circumstances.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 1:53 pm

Personally I think the Dems F'd up on this. I think they should have let Burris be in the Senate for the two years & that would be it as far as the story goes.
The Republicans would've been squeling like like stuck pigs but so what, who cares.
By dragging this out they're not gaining anything & only supplying the right with ammo with this circus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 2:04 pm

edge540 wrote:
Personally I think the Dems F'd up on this. I think they should have let Burris be in the Senate for the two years & that would be it as far as the story goes.
The Republicans would've been squeling like like stuck pigs but so what, who cares.
By dragging this out they're not gaining anything & only supplying the right with ammo with this circus.

I disagree. Reid said long before Burris was appointed by Blago that they WOULD NOT seat anyone named by this Governor. I was under the impression that it was Dems and Rep. alike that agreed to that.

By not seating him it could open the seat up to a special election in which case it could be a Rep. that wins. The Dems don't want that. I believe the Senate is just trying to do the right thing under the circumstances. I don't think it would have been any different if it had been a white man or a Rep. Once again, they said they WOULD NOT seat anyone named by this governor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 2:22 pm

How did Blago replace Rahm and no one has a cow, but for Burris they are all having a fit. No matter how bad of a person Blago is, Burris seems to be a decent guy. Blago is still the gov. and he has not been charged yet. Don't they know they need another Dem in the senate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 2:30 pm

moniker wrote:
How did Blago replace Rahm and no one has a cow, but for Burris they are all having a fit. No matter how bad of a person Blago is, Burris seems to be a decent guy. Blago is still the gov. and he has not been charged yet. Don't they know they need another Dem in the senate
He didnt replace Rahm, there will be a special election on March 3 for that seat
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 4:08 pm

Face wrote:
party42 wrote:

Not one darn thing. Two entirely different sets of circumstances.

Actually there is,Face. Seating only 1 of them,Burris or Franken doesn't help Democrats. We'll need to pick off 2 GOP votes to force cloture. With both seated we only need 1. If Coleman would concede and let Al Franken get seated,then Burris would be seated immediately,imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 4:15 pm

I still fail to see your logic Artie. Of course the Dems would prefer another Dem to fill Obamas seat but the fact still remains, Blago was told not to appoint ANYONE, Dem or Rep. That is the whole point of denying Burris in the first place.

As for Coleman...he's already out. Franken has won fair and square.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 4:28 pm

party42 wrote:
I still fail to see your logic Artie. Of course the Dems would prefer another Dem to fill Obamas seat but the fact still remains, Blago was told not to appoint ANYONE, Dem or Rep. That is the whole point of denying Burris in the first place.

As for Coleman...he's already out. Franken has won fair and square.

Party,The problem is that like it or not,Blago is still the Gov and the appointment of Burris is legal. I believe Burris will get seated,but right now,his seat isn't that important,so they may be pressuring him to promise that he won't run again in 2010.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 4:38 pm

I seriously doubt if Burris is being pressured to do anything. How stupid would that be under the current circumstances.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how this plays out. It sure is a shame it is taking up so much time when I, for one, would prefer to not have the drama of it all to start out the new year and new administration.
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty1/6/2009, 4:53 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Actually there is,Face. Seating only 1 of them,Burris or Franken doesn't help Democrats. We'll need to pick off 2 GOP votes to force cloture. With both seated we only need 1. If Coleman would concede and let Al Franken get seated,then Burris would be seated immediately,imo.

For the first time in a long time, Harry Reid is putting ethics before politics. That is imo, why he is unwilling to seat Burris. Dick Derbin is following right behind him, and of course he is the Sr. Senator for Illinois. While I am not sure if they will continue to be able to block Burris, I do applaud them for taking the stance they have since Blago made the selection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blago to fill senate seat   Blago to fill senate seat - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blago to fill senate seat
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3