Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sparks

"Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty
PostSubject: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 7:40 am

Here is a link to a story in Newsweek about a parody song written about Barack Obama. I am a fan of comedy and parody songs. What is interesting is that it was distributed to members of the RNC national committee and defended by Chip Saltsman, a member of the RNC who is trying to become the head of the RNC. Several members of the RNC leadership have spoken out in support of Saltsman. Not surprisingly, Rush Limbaugh has played this song and others from parody album,"I Hate America". I think it is stunning that the RNC really thinks this kind of bigotry is OK from one of their leaders. The Republicans are coming off one of their worst elections in the history of their party. I would think they should be renouncing crap like this and trying to improve their image. However, as a Democratic who is opposed to many of the things the Republicans stand for, this is great news for my party. Keep up the good work,Chip.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 9:02 am

Come on Sparks, I think most of us know that if it were the democratic party who put out the parody, you would be cheering it on.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 9:15 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Come on Sparks, I think most of us know that if it were the democratic party who put out the parody, you would be cheering it on.
I would no more support a parody called "I Hate America" that promotes bigotry than I would be in support of a terrorist attack on the United States. However,the RNC sees things differently. I hope they continue on this path and leave running the country to people who actually care about it's future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 9:32 am

Are you sure its the entire RNC or just some idiot whose part of the RNC?? Cuz I'd hate to break your heart but there are bigots and idiots in both parties. ---put down the koolaid...

Maybe the person who leaked the song was part of the RNC and against the song and was his/her way of voicing their disapproval...hmm, maybe.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 10:03 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Are you sure its the entire RNC or just some idiot whose part of the RNC?? Cuz I'd hate to break your heart but there are bigots and idiots in both parties. ---put down the koolaid...

Maybe the person who leaked the song was part of the RNC and against the song and was his/her way of voicing their disapproval...hmm, maybe.

The guy who sent the CD wants to be the next leader of the RNC.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 11:06 am

sparks wrote:
Here is a link to a story in Newsweek about a parody song written about Barack Obama. I am a fan of comedy and parody songs. What is interesting is that it was distributed to members of the RNC national committee and defended by Chip Saltsman, a member of the RNC who is trying to become the head of the RNC. Several members of the RNC leadership have spoken out in support of Saltsman. Not surprisingly, Rush Limbaugh has played this song and others from parody album,"I Hate America". I think it is stunning that the RNC really thinks this kind of bigotry is OK from one of their leaders. The Republicans are coming off one of their worst elections in the history of their party. I would think they should be renouncing crap like this and trying to improve their image. However, as a Democratic who is opposed to many of the things the Republicans stand for, this is great news for my party. Keep up the good work,Chip.

Below are the lyrics to the song, as sung in the persona of Al Sharpton. They are little more than a paraphrase of the LA Times article upon which they are based (also below). The article itself was written in early 2007 by a half African-American, gay-sympathizing columnist. There was no uproar at that time. Only when Republicans expressed the identical sentiment did it become an issue.
The hypocrisy of the Left lives on.
And on.
And on.

(Sharpton impersonator, to the tune of Puff, the Magic Dragon):

Barack the Magic Negro lives in D.C.
The L.A. Times, they called him that
'Cause he's not authentic like me.
Yeah, the guy from the L.A. paper
Said he makes guilty whites feel good
They'll vote for him, and not for me
'Cause he's not from the hood.
See, real black men, like Snoop Dog,
Or me, or Farrakhan
Have talked the talk, and walked the walk.
Not come in late and won!
[refrain] Oh, Barack the Magic Negro, lives in D.C.
'Cause he's black, but not authentically.
Oh, Barack the Magic Negro, lives in D.C.
'Cause he's black, but not authentically.
Some say Barack's "articulate"
And bright and new and "clean."
The media sure loves this guy,
A white interloper's dream!
But, when you vote for president,
Watch out, and don't be fooled!
Don't vote the Magic Negro in --
'Cause -- 'cause I won't have nothing after all these years of sacrifice
And I won't get justice. This is about justice. This isn't about me, it's about justice.
It's about buffet. I don't have no buffet and there won't be any church contributions,
And there'll be no cash in the collection plate.
There ain't gonna be no cash money, no walkin' around money, no phoning money.
Now, Barack going to come in here and --
And now for something sensible:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ehrenstein19mar19,0,5335087.story?coll=la-opinion-center
Obama the 'Magic Negro'
The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.
By David Ehrenstein, L.A.-based DAVID EHRENSTEIN writes about Hollywood and politics.
March 19, 2007
AS EVERY CARBON-BASED life form on this planet surely knows, Barack Obama, the junior Democratic senator from Illinois, is running for president. Since making his announcement, there has been no end of commentary about him in all quarters — musing over his charisma and the prospect he offers of being the first African American to be elected to the White House.

But it's clear that Obama also is running for an equally important unelected office, in the province of the popular imagination — the "Magic Negro."

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

As might be expected, this figure is chiefly cinematic — embodied by such noted performers as Sidney Poitier, Morgan Freeman, Scatman Crothers, Michael Clarke Duncan, Will Smith and, most recently, Don Cheadle. And that's not to mention a certain basketball player whose very nickname is "Magic."
Poitier really poured on the "magic" in "Lilies of the Field" (for which he won a best actor Oscar) and "To Sir, With Love" (which, along with "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," made him a No. 1 box-office attraction). In these films, Poitier triumphs through yeoman service to his white benefactors. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" is particularly striking in this regard, as it posits miscegenation without evoking sex. (Talk about magic!)

The same can't quite be said of Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy," "Seven" and the seemingly endless series of films in which he plays ersatz paterfamilias to a white woman bedeviled by a serial killer. But at least he survives, unlike Crothers in "The Shining," in which psychic premonitions inspire him to rescue a white family he barely knows and get killed for his trouble. This heart-tug trope is parodied in Gus Van Sant's "Elephant." The film's sole black student at a Columbine-like high school arrives in the midst of a slaughter, helps a girl escape and is immediately gunned down. See what helping the white man gets you?

And what does the white man get out of the bargain? That's a question asked by John Guare in "Six Degrees of Separation," his brilliant retelling of the true saga of David Hampton — a young, personable gay con man who in the 1980s passed himself off as the son of none other than the real Sidney Poitier. Though he started small, using the ruse to get into Studio 54, Hampton discovered that countless gullible, well-heeled New Yorkers, vulnerable to the Magic Negro myth, were only too eager to believe in his baroque fantasy. (One of the few who wasn't fooled was Andy Warhol, who was astonished his underlings believed Hampton's whoppers. Clearly Warhol had no need for the accouterment of interracial "goodwill.")

But the same can't be said of most white Americans, whose desire for a noble, healing Negro hasn't faded. That's where Obama comes in: as Poitier's "real" fake son.

The senator's famously stem-winding stump speeches have been drawing huge crowds to hear him talk of uniting rather than dividing. A praiseworthy goal. Consequently, even the mild criticisms thrown his way have been waved away, "magically." He used to smoke, but now he doesn't; he racked up a bunch of delinquent parking tickets, but he paid them all back with an apology. And hey, is looking good in a bathing suit a bad thing?

The only mud that momentarily stuck was criticism (white and black alike) concerning Obama's alleged "inauthenticty," as compared to such sterling examples of "genuine" blackness as Al Sharpton and Snoop Dogg. Speaking as an African American whose last name has led to his racial "credentials" being challenged — often several times a day — I know how pesky this sort of thing can be.

Obama's fame right now has little to do with his political record or what he's written in his two (count 'em) books, or even what he's actually said in those stem-winders. It's the way he's said it that counts the most. It's his manner, which, as presidential hopeful Sen. Joe Biden ham-fistedly reminded us, is "articulate." His tone is always genial, his voice warm and unthreatening, and he hasn't called his opponents names (despite being baited by the media).

Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 12:25 pm

happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:

Below are the lyrics to the song, as sung in the persona of Al Sharpton. They are little more than a paraphrase of the LA Times article upon which they are based (also below). The article itself was written in early 2007 by a half African-American, gay-sympathizing columnist. There was no uproar at that time. Only when Republicans expressed the identical sentiment did it become an issue.
The hypocrisy of the Left lives on.
And on.
And on.

There is a huge difference between a columnist expressing his opinion and a leader in the RNC distributing a cd titled " We Hate America" to his fellow committee members. The CD takes shots at Blacks,Hispanics,women,gays,environmentalists,rednecks and fat people. This guy Saltsman is a fool for embarassing the Republican party like this and should be drummed out of politics.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 12:42 pm

sparks wrote:
There is a huge difference between a columnist expressing his opinion and a leader in the RNC distributing a cd titled " We Hate America" to his fellow committee members. The CD takes shots at Blacks,Hispanics,women,gays,environmentalists,rednecks and fat people. This guy Saltsman is a fool for embarassing the Republican party like this and should be drummed out of politics.

You claimed that the song parody was an example of bigotry, though I disagree. I think it was more a parody of the guilt of white liberals and their perception of blacks. Do you intend to explain why it is perfectly fine for this particular columnist to express his opinion, yet not OK for a Republican to express the identical sentiments?
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 12:48 pm

happy jack wrote:
You claimed that the song parody was an example of bigotry. Do you intend to explain why it is perfectly fine for this particular columnist to express his opinion, yet not OK for a Republican to express the identical sentiments?

Its all about intent. You can see, providing one is not hiding behind the "holier than thou" stance, that it is not just expressing opinion, but rather some hateful banter. If one expresses opinion, that is perfectly fine, once you cross over the line, and we all know where the line is, then it becomes hateful, and unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 12:58 pm

Face wrote:
happy jack wrote:
You claimed that the song parody was an example of bigotry. Do you intend to explain why it is perfectly fine for this particular columnist to express his opinion, yet not OK for a Republican to express the identical sentiments?

Its all about intent. You can see, providing one is not hiding behind the "holier than thou" stance, that it is not just expressing opinion, but rather some hateful banter. If one expresses opinion, that is perfectly fine, once you cross over the line, and we all know where the line is, then it becomes hateful, and unacceptable.

You have still not demonstrated that the parody involves bigotry and hateful intent. Please elaborate.
And, once again, since the song parody is based entirely on the article, why is the song being blasted as an example of bigotry, but the writer of the article gets a free pass?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 2:07 pm

Face wrote:
If one expresses opinion, that is perfectly fine, once you cross over the line, and we all know where the line is, then it becomes hateful, and unacceptable.

Now I understand.
You are the arbiter of where this mystical line is to be drawn.
Free speech for thee, but not for me.
All are free to say what they want, but some are freer than others.
Correct?
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 2:16 pm

happy jack wrote:
Face wrote:
If one expresses opinion, that is perfectly fine, once you cross over the line, and we all know where the line is, then it becomes hateful, and unacceptable.

Now I understand.
Correct?

Free speech is fine. In fact I would argue that free speech is probably the most important right we have, however once that free speech breaches the line where it becomes hateful, then it no longer becomes free speech but rather a weapon. Say what ever you and the others want, but we all know where the line is drawn, to hide under freedom of speech even knowing it is a biggoted and hateful manor is where the line is drawn. You are a smart guy, you understand, you are just trying to see how I articulate (sp) it. I may agree it may be freer for some, but when it comes to race, creed, etc..., there is very little tollerance, and rightfully so, in my own personal opinion. When was the last time Nigro was meant as an endearing term????? I am not black or really any other minority, but it still is offensive to me.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 2:21 pm

Face wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Face wrote:

Now I understand.
Correct?

Free speech is fine. In fact I would argue that free speech is probably the most important right we have, however once that free speech breaches the line where it becomes hateful, then it no longer becomes free speech but rather a weapon. Say what ever you and the others want, but we all know where the line is drawn, to hide under freedom of speech even knowing it is a biggoted and hateful manor is where the line is drawn. You are a smart guy, you understand, you are just trying to see how I articulate (sp) it. I may agree it may be freer for some, but when it comes to race, creed, etc..., there is very little tollerance, and rightfully so, in my own personal opinion. When was the last time Nigro was meant as an endearing term????? I am not black or really any other minority, but it still is offensive to me.
That's all well and good.
So, for the twelfth time I ask: Why, since they are both expressing identical sentiments, is the Magic Negro song parody an example of hate and bigotry and the Magic Negro column is not?
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 2:24 pm

Actually to me, they both are
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 2:29 pm

Face wrote:
Actually to me, they both are
And you never said otherwise - my mistake. I got your post mixed up with Sparks'. Sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 7:31 pm

I believe if speech is free then, it is free.
Who is to judge ?

If I hate you and voice it, so what!

Eliminate dogeball ,tag and keeping score "feelings" may be hurt.

I love Hitler, I hate blacks , whites or whatever, this is BS smokescreen designed to inhibit a view the PC crowd may not like.

Say what you want to me but you may get your ass kicked but I believe you should be able to say it .
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 9:12 pm

happy jack wrote:

You have still not demonstrated that the parody involves bigotry and hateful intent. Please elaborate.
And, once again, since the song parody is based entirely on the article, why is the song being blasted as an example of bigotry, but the writer of the article gets a free pass?

The term "Negro" is viewed by many as a slurs.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 9:34 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

In that case, are you claiming that both the article and the song parody are racist?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 9:46 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

In that case, are you claiming that both the article and the song parody are racist?

I wouldn't call it racist,but it's certainly a demeaning term when used today, and one that bigots use as a "code" like the term "savages".
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 9:51 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

I wouldn't call it racist,but it's certainly a demeaning term when used today, and one that bigots use as a "code" like the term "savages".

Does that go for both the song and the article?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 10:09 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Does that go for both the song and the article?

Yes,I think both were designed to push buttons.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 10:25 pm

Face wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Face wrote:

Now I understand.
Correct?

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me... we've all heard the rhyme... It is one thing my children and I have spoken about lately- don't let people's words affect you because it's just that a word.

I appreciate what happy jack said- there wasn't much of an uproar when the african american author wrote the piece for a paper but as soon as a white man (worse yet- a REPUBLICAN white man) does it he's crucified. Talk about hypocrisy!

Freedom of speech- if some ignorant doofus wants to make a parody so what? If his reputation is ruined over it, then it's his own fault and he will have to deal with the repercussions of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/28/2008, 10:28 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:

This is what I understand, however once again the work of one idiot is being placed upon an entire group of people. I doubt the entire RNC agrees with the parody that was put out, but once again the entire RNC is being blamed and are "evil"....
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/29/2008, 6:12 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:

This is what I understand, however once again the work of one idiot is being placed upon an entire group of people. I doubt the entire RNC agrees with the parody that was put out, but once again the entire RNC is being blamed and are "evil"....
When one member of a group acts dishonorably, it does bring shame to the entire organization. Some of the Republicans in the RNC have spoken against Chip Saltsman's lack of judgement.
Newt Gingrich wrote:
This is so inappropriate that it should disqualify any Republican National Committee candidate who would use it," Newt Gingrich, a Republican former House speaker, said in an e-mail message. Mr Gingrich said: "There are no grounds for demeaning him (Barack Obama] or for using racist descriptions."
The Republicans have serious problems within the party. It is no wonder that there is not a single black Republican in Congress.
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty12/29/2008, 9:26 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me... we've all heard the rhyme... It is one thing my children and I have spoken about lately- don't let people's words affect you because it's just that a word.

I appreciate what happy jack said- there wasn't much of an uproar when the african american author wrote the piece for a paper but as soon as a white man (worse yet- a REPUBLICAN white man) does it he's crucified. Talk about hypocrisy!

Freedom of speech- if some ignorant doofus wants to make a parody so what? If his reputation is ruined over it, then it's his own fault and he will have to deal with the repercussions of it.

Funny, they aren't just words. They are meant to demean others in some cases. If as you say they are just words, then why in any society to we have what would be called proper behavior, and proper speech? After all they are just words. When speaking to an audience, one would think and care how the people in that audience would take the words. If the intent of the paper or speech is meant to enlighten someone, that is one thing, but this intent was meant as a demeaning song. Yes they are just words, but they are also weapons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC   "Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC Empty

Back to top Go down

"Barack the Magic Negro" parody song draws support from RNC
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: