Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?

Go down 
+5
voter3
the oracle
BigWhiteGuy
KarenT
UrRight
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
UrRight

WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty
PostSubject: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/5/2009, 11:05 pm

Is something amiss here? I know I have been called to duty somewhere else. The weather is getting so nice that I can't resist getting up early and drinking the coffee, watching the sun rise.

But. something is really missing...some things you only expect in winter snow...people are missing.

Where are the friends that made this board possible, and why has everyone abandoned it? Or, is it just "ME" and my imagination? What's everyone been up to?

What I have been up to is caring for my sis-in-law's mom who was the darling of all ages. Very independent, desite her obstacles in life, having been served to take care of her mentally-challenged brother in the "hey-days" and after losing her son, her brother, she married my sis-in-law's father, at age 50. Both were successful people. Her husband died 12 years ago. She paid extra for a caregiver, not wanting to be a burden on the family. For twelve years she paid for that extra insurance, along with Blue Cross and Medicare, A & B. She requires full time help. She had a tumor wrapped around her spine, and into her stomach, spleen, liver and a blood clot in her lung. All we do for her is take care of her the best we can, and she's a peach to care for. She wears the "bag".

After twelve years of paying for a caregiver if she ever needed one, guess what? They think she doesn't need one. I'm the one that does what she paid into for twelve years...I'm the one waiting on her hand and foot, and keeping her out of the nursing home. I am the one asking why the insurance company can call the shots and say she doesn't need a caregiver...even though if I hadn't been there, my bro, my nephews, her step daughter, she'd get shoddy care in nursing home that would charge four times over.

Anyone out there in IL that knows who to contact when someone pays for twelve years for a caregiver, to avoid the nursing home, only to be told that they didn't qualify for family (CNA certified) to reduce what it would cost to keep her out of a nursing home, but reimburse someone who is actually cleaning up the crap, occupying, never leaving their side, 24 hours around the clock, monitoring meds, regulating food, driving her to dr.'s appt, but can't get reimbursed for her twelve years of paying into this insurance policy?

She can very well pay for my assistance, and has. I put a stop to it. Much as I need the money, what the heck is wrong when someone paid into this for twelve years, and tells the recipient they don't qualify. I would love to invite these "guys" to spend one day emptying/changing shit bags, cleaning the toilets, disinfecting everything..and sitting next to a woman with a clear mind, that paid a good sense of taxes, insurance premiums, only to have the state thumb their noses up at her. Oh, pizzed I am..and I will get to the bottom of where she paid twelve years for a caretaker only to be shit on. 81 years old, cancer in her stomach, spleen, liver and a blood clot in her lung. Broke her shoulder, wrist before I insisted on taking care of her for NO MONEY. Where is the insurance she paid in? I can't wait to get to the bottom of this, and don't think it can't happen to you. Medicaid provides better coverage than this. I'm mad as heck.
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/6/2009, 4:04 pm

With kids in school and graduation coming up, I'm just busy. I've said for years that May is like December without presents at the end.

So sorry about your friend. Thank God she can afford what she needs. Is she trying to get somewhere for around-the-clock care? I don't know if I could do what you're doing - you're an angel.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/6/2009, 6:28 pm

UrRight wrote:
Is something amiss here? I know I have been called to duty somewhere else. The weather is getting so nice that I can't resist getting up early and drinking the coffee, watching the sun rise.

But. something is really missing...some things you only expect in winter snow...people are missing.

Where are the friends that made this board possible, and why has everyone abandoned it? Or, is it just "ME" and my imagination? What's everyone been up to?

What I have been up to is caring for my sis-in-law's mom who was the darling of all ages. Very independent, desite her obstacles in life, having been served to take care of her mentally-challenged brother in the "hey-days" and after losing her son, her brother, she married my sis-in-law's father, at age 50. Both were successful people. Her husband died 12 years ago. She paid extra for a caregiver, not wanting to be a burden on the family. For twelve years she paid for that extra insurance, along with Blue Cross and Medicare, A & B. She requires full time help. She had a tumor wrapped around her spine, and into her stomach, spleen, liver and a blood clot in her lung. All we do for her is take care of her the best we can, and she's a peach to care for. She wears the "bag".

After twelve years of paying for a caregiver if she ever needed one, guess what? They think she doesn't need one. I'm the one that does what she paid into for twelve years...I'm the one waiting on her hand and foot, and keeping her out of the nursing home. I am the one asking why the insurance company can call the shots and say she doesn't need a caregiver...even though if I hadn't been there, my bro, my nephews, her step daughter, she'd get shoddy care in nursing home that would charge four times over.

Anyone out there in IL that knows who to contact when someone pays for twelve years for a caregiver, to avoid the nursing home, only to be told that they didn't qualify for family (CNA certified) to reduce what it would cost to keep her out of a nursing home, but reimburse someone who is actually cleaning up the crap, occupying, never leaving their side, 24 hours around the clock, monitoring meds, regulating food, driving her to dr.'s appt, but can't get reimbursed for her twelve years of paying into this insurance policy?

She can very well pay for my assistance, and has. I put a stop to it. Much as I need the money, what the heck is wrong when someone paid into this for twelve years, and tells the recipient they don't qualify. I would love to invite these "guys" to spend one day emptying/changing shit bags, cleaning the toilets, disinfecting everything..and sitting next to a woman with a clear mind, that paid a good sense of taxes, insurance premiums, only to have the state thumb their noses up at her. Oh, pizzed I am..and I will get to the bottom of where she paid twelve years for a caretaker only to be shit on. 81 years old, cancer in her stomach, spleen, liver and a blood clot in her lung. Broke her shoulder, wrist before I insisted on taking care of her for NO MONEY. Where is the insurance she paid in? I can't wait to get to the bottom of this, and don't think it can't happen to you. Medicaid provides better coverage than this. I'm mad as heck.
The wife just got out of the hospital for 6 days (infection from radiation treatments) and I get a letter from Blue Cross/Blue Shield saying they will cover two days, but I am responsible for the other four. Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Bull Shit. I told the hospital to try collecting, because they did not tell me that only 2 days were covered. If I have to, I'll only pay $100 a month. As long as I pay, they can't do a damned thing about it.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/6/2009, 7:27 pm

sorry for my abscence. been busy as hell. what with still preparing for and waiting on my new house (damn seller had some lien issues to clean up, probably wont be in it myself until early june) and now running two households (sister broke foot cant walk or drive, which means my 13 year old niece and 9 yr old nephew have a new driver, chef, and butler)...so basically ive been too busy to be too involved with much stuff outside of that lately.

of the city tidbits i do know about right now. look for a new teamsters contract to be finalized, proposed, and public in the next few weeks to a month or so...and the charter school is almost a 100% go. (dont worry about the issues with the state legislature....the application was put in before the legislation...so the proposed legislation wont effect it....)

and finally. big things are about to happen on the...well ill just say in the northern half of the city. give it till the end of summer. and a major good thing will be announced...that even the supposed haters will have to appreciate at least a little bit.

other than that...its a supposed political off year. but if your looking for rumors?

i hear dominguez may actually wind up supporting philpot for sherriff when the time comes....which is an absolute stunning development to me...much less a few other people. assuming philpot, who would be the likely front runner in a field of kucyecich, buncich, ligeon, and at least half a dozen others wins...well then the resulting musical chairs in lake county government...would a hell of an interesting spectator sport after next years primary.

as for how is work going? well the weather has finally changed and my little band of patchers are finally starting to get caught up. lots of streets are basically beyond the capabilities of patch...and will need to be resurfaced. of the ones i know are getting resurfaced this year. tapper, tell, 176th, caroline (in the water gardens), 139th.

there are numerous others that will be resurfaced mind you...those are just the ones i know about(contact your councilman or the city engineer if your looking for yours to be on the list).

anyway...wont be too much longer till i suspect ill be back on chipper duty again.

oh one more thing the papers missed. nobody wants to pay for the northcott bridge contract (county is saying it would take 3-5 years) which would really put pressure on the munster politicoes. but munster has nowhere near the bonding capacity thanks to its new golf course to pay for its half of the cost. so look for an alternative solution to be proposed on that in a few months (assuming the county doesnt bend). this solution could both keep the bridge open...and permantly eliminate any flooding risks

also. i have been hearing some panicked voices reguarding a few recent incidents inside and outside of hammond lately. the whiting murder yesterday, a few in ec recently...and of course a couple in hammond earlier in the spring.

this is typical when the whether first breaks. maybe not in the specific neighborhoods the acts have recently occurred in. but in general good weather brings out more crime. if you look at the overall trends for murders in lake county you will see they typically spike in may and june. im not saying that these incidents are in any way acceptable or to be tolerated. in fact i'd like to see more anger and community action in an attempt to stop it. however there is no reason for any panic talk either. things are no worse now, than they have been in any other recent year, crime wise. and in many categories crime is actually still down over where it was just a few years ago, and with the unemployment and economic situation as it is, thats actually a really encouraging thing...not such a negative one.

oh. as for the swine flu? that was the most rediculous national press over reaction to any story that i have seen in some time. for god sakes i know the person at puc who had it. and it was actually less stifling than the normal flu. joints hurt a bit worse...tired all the time. but his fever was actually pretty mild compared to a flu he had a few years ago. and now it turns out that pro rated over the cases the cdc knows about. the death rate for swine flu is about 1/4 that of normal flu outbreaks. so everybody...take a deep breath and relax on that one.

later all. hope all is well

-steve-
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/14/2009, 8:01 pm

I think a shortage of controversial topics has slowed the boards. there are usually some topics that get the blood pumping. Right now until the governor and the legislators come up with a budget telling us what they are or are not cutting there isnt much goin on.

I will take addresses for high grass...we cant be everywhere!
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 12:25 am

Well, my grass/lawn has v=been overgrown for sometime, now. Taking care of grammaw, four stage cancer...I stopped by my house Sunday, and was astonished. So much yard work to do, and grass to be replanted, etc.

I get from Saturday 2:oo p.m. off until Monday a.m. I get the hint. Time to mow, clean, rake, plant new flowers. I only wish grammaw for all my efforts...would get well.

Grass will be mowed, lawn raked, gutters put in, flowers/bushes will be in. Will hire a private lawn service. Forgive me for neglecting. I love my sis-in laws mom, not exptected to live much longer.

One thing I learned was, "the dirt, the grass will be there long after I'm gone."

I know, got the hint... will manicure the lawn, plant the annuals, and replace the broken screens, wiindows that breakins did. Then, get an alarm system.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 12:37 am

Off Topic, but I got th message. Give me this weekend to clean it up, even though my daughter is flying in from a world tour, and will probably pay for the alarm. The yard will be lanscaped this summer. That's your point, right?
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 6:33 am

Whose point?
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 7:29 am

my point was that if there is high grass in your neighborhood give me the address and we will see if we can get it cut. No hidden message...but if it gets your grass cut that works to!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 8:07 am

No offense intended, but when the empty lots get mowed by the city, EVERYTHING gets whacked. Isn't there also a lien put on the property for the mowing??? Right now the empty lot next door is being assessed as a $91,000 house, and currently back property taxes of over $10,000 are owed on it. FYI, the property taxes for this empty lot are $5,000 a year.

We have been taking care of the lot next door to us,picking up the trash, planting flowers, bushes, and grass seed. We know several people who are also adjacent to empty lots/abandoned houses, who are doing the same as us. When it is next door to you, you have no choice, realisticly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 9:26 am

voter3 wrote:

I will take addresses for high grass...we cant be everywhere!

Across the street and a couple of houses down from Chico's house.
And stay away from my alley until Sunday Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 9:28 am

Well I haven't been around much because my job was abolished in Jan.; I still work for the same people, just in a different location and position.
Between getting my schedule bounced around, and going to school myself (ahem, 4.0 thank you) I have only been glancing at the boards once in a while.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/15/2009, 9:35 pm

Well, it's good to see the gang back. Off topic or on. Whew, it takes a toll on the mind...I worry about the house, yet when I get free time, I'm burned out.

I was like you, Tiger. I mowed next door, when I mowed my lawn. It's been a few difficult months, but just when you think you'll have time, more important issues come up. Such as my daughter coming in at 11:00 p.m., from Palm Springs, FL, to Chicago, with no mention of what her agenda is...while my agenda is strictly regulated. Because I love and care for "Grammaw," she won't allow anyone else to take care of her personal needs. Which leaves my time with my daughter "up in the air". Even Memorial weekend, is screwed up. That's my mom's birthday, but opening wknd at Bass Lake, IN (Knox), where my daughter wants to see her dad. So, right now, it's impossible to plan.

My time on the board and answering emails are limited. Any ounce of sleep is most welcomed. Although Gram is a peach to care for, I still have to be next to her in substitute of her ringing a bell. Nurses come and go.

Oh, I feel so badly that I'm neglecting my house. My son is tied up for the summer at Bass Lake, and expanding the business. I worry about the lawn, wanting to make it a priority to upgrade the yard. Guess I'll just have to do as little as I can along the way..But, I miss you guys.

BWG, I feel for you. I think the best thing to do was what you did. I just question, why I have better insurance than her, and don't really deserve it like she should. She worked as a court reporter all her life, paid her bills on time, made investments, but yet, the insurance company, BC/BS tells HER what kind of health care she needs. That sucks. I invited them to come and spend one day and night with her. Then tell me what part of the insurance she paid into, doesn't apply. Stage four cancer, blood count 1.7 when 4.7 is the minimum? Discontinue her chemo until further testing to see if the tumor stopped growing? C'mon, the cancer was already in every vital organ, and how stupid do you need to be to be an insurance company?

Need to do away with insurance companies telling the patient what they need. Time to tell the DR(s) to tell the insurance company what the payer needs. Oh, is this communist country yet?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/16/2009, 9:31 am

May is finals month for me. I'm anticipating taking summer courses along with a summer internship before I go overseas for the fall semester. I'll pop in every now and then, and an occasional PM is always welcome.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/16/2009, 9:51 am

Paul,What country will you be studying in?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/16/2009, 11:12 am

Cambridge, UK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/16/2009, 6:11 pm

AWESOME PAUL !!! Smile
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 3:45 pm

voter3 wrote:
my point was that if there is high grass in your neighborhood give me the address and we will see if we can get it cut. No hidden message...but if it gets your grass cut that works to!
I have seen several homes with "for sale" signs in the yard and grass over a foot high. Are you actively pursuing vacant homes where the grass hasn't been cut?
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 4:39 pm

all the time. if they are for sale we call the realtors and expect them to get it cut. if it doesnt get cut we cut it and lien the property. not good to go to closing and find out their is a lien because the realtor didnt get the grass cut!!

we have to give ten days to comply then we can cut and lien. if it has a green tag on the door or window we know about it if it doesnt call us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 5:22 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:

The wife just got out of the hospital for 6 days (infection from radiation treatments) and I get a letter from Blue Cross/Blue Shield saying they will cover two days, but I am responsible for the other four. Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Bull Shit. I told the hospital to try collecting, because they did not tell me that only 2 days were covered. If I have to, I'll only pay $100 a month. As long as I pay, they can't do a damned thing about it.

I'm sorry to hear that BWG- I hope she is doing better!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 5:50 pm

paul87920 wrote:
Cambridge, UK
I studied in Belgium for two years before I went for my Masters. Good luck, have fun, and be careful.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 6:44 pm

LoisLane wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
Cambridge, UK
I studied in Belgium for two years before I went for my Masters. Good luck, have fun, and be careful.

Thank you. How did you like Belgium?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 6:52 pm

paul87920 wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
Cambridge, UK

Belgium was my favorite, but Germany was a close second. When you get the time, (and money) see as much of Europe as you can.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 7:00 pm

LoisLane wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
Cambridge, UK

Belgium was my favorite, but Germany was a close second. When you get the time, (and money) see as much of Europe as you can.

While I'm over there I get a three week midterm break (no Thanksgiving break though). I'm purchasing a Eurrail Pass to travel on. People I've talked to loved our school's Germany program. They study in Reutlingen and Tublingen. (not sure if I spelled those right) I want to see as much as I can so I'm definitely open to any recommendations. What's great about my program is that it is designed for me to immerse myself in British and European culture. My classes begin on Monday mornings and end mid Thursday afternoons.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty5/18/2009, 7:11 pm

Paul, my daughters favorite was Ireland, with Scotland a very close second. I really hope you have the chance to check things out, but be wary of pickpockets, they are everywhere over there. Get yourself a neck wallet. They are like a thin wallet that you put around your neck like a necklace, and tuck it in INSIDE of your shirt. Put your passport, credit cards, and paper money in it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?   WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP? Empty

Back to top Go down

WEATHER IS GREAT, ONE EXCUSE, BUT WHAT'S UP?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Indiana/Illinois :: Hammond-
Jump to: