Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty
PostSubject: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 12:55 pm

This was in the Sun-Times today, submitted by Editor Matthew Nickerson, under "Nation & World". I tried getting a link, but it only appears in the real paper, no link to the actual column shown in today's paper.

I'm furious!

WASHINGTON - "The College Board, made up of 5,000 schools and best known for the SAT, is urging Congress to give illegal immigrants tuition aid and a path to citizenship as states move to bar them from paying in-state tuition and enrolling."

Yep, that's all folks! While our American citizens/kids are paying their own hefty college loans, this "College Board" wants to award illegals? What in the hell is going on with our country?

It just doesn't feel like the USA anymore. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 2:51 pm

Here's the AP's article on it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jI638BApG3Mw7qEJyIjzQsxELqdgD97N1SE00

Quote :
"We absolutely believe it's important for opening up economic opportunities," Rudin said.

So... they want to encourage illegals to work here... illegally.

Quote :
The Supreme Court ruled in 1982 that illegal immigrants are entitled to a K-12 public education, but federal law is silent as to their college rights.

I'm legal and the last I checked I didn't have a right to college either.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 3:10 pm

During the Twentieth century, the United States dominated the world. We possessed the strongest economy,the most powerful military forces and the best educational system. I attribute much of that success to the commitment our government made in the nineteenth century to ensure every child who lived in this country had access to free public schools. If we are to continue as a world leader, I believe we must expand access to college for anyone who wants to go. The strongest weapon a free society has is an education.However, I also have no doubt there are those on the right who prefer that much of the country remains ignorant so they can start winning elections based on Guns,gays and abortion again.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 3:32 pm

Sparks, I'm for helping kids in school. You can't put a price tag on education.

Being educated doesn't guarantee white collar crime disappears, but it would give those bozos' that entered our country illegally, not taking the proper steps required by law, a FREE pass to education at taxpayers' expense.

I think this contradicts what our constitution dictates - that you must take the proper steps to become an American citizen. It didn't say you can enter illegally, and enjoy our country as illegals.

We do have enough trouble as it is with our school systems, not being able to provide sufficiently for our children. Not to mention one other problem: those that are legal, but are not taught English before entering pre-kindergarten on up, certainly is a drain on our teachers and students.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 6:07 pm

sparks wrote:
During the Twentieth century, the United States dominated the world. We possessed the strongest economy,the most powerful military forces and the best educational system. I attribute much of that success to the commitment our government made in the nineteenth century to ensure every child who lived in this country had access to free public schools. If we are to continue as a world leader, I believe we must expand access to college for anyone who wants to go. The strongest weapon a free society has is an education.However, I also have no doubt there are those on the right who prefer that much of the country remains ignorant so they can start winning elections based on Guns,gays and abortion again.
Public schools are NOT free. They are supported 100% by taxes. Illegals do not pay taxes. Therefore, they are not entitled to ANYTHING.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 6:30 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Public schools are NOT free. They are supported 100% by taxes. Illegals do not pay taxes. Therefore, they are not entitled to ANYTHING.

That's not what the Supreme Court said about the matter in 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

Quote :
Revisions to education laws in Texas in 1975 withheld state funds for educating children who had not been legally admitted to the United States and authorized local school districts to deny enrollment to such students. A 5-to-4 majority of the Supreme Court found that this policy was in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment, as illegal immigrant children are people "in any ordinary sense of the term", and therefore had protection from discrimination unless a substantial state interest could be shown to justify it.

The court majority found that the Texas law was "directed against children, and impose[d] its discriminatory burden on the basis of a legal characteristic over which children can have little control" — namely, the fact of their having been brought illegally into the United States by their parents.

You may not agree with the Supreme Court, but the children of illegal immigrants are entitled to a public school education in this country.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 6:35 pm

sparks wrote:
The strongest weapon a free society has is an education.However, I also have no doubt there are those on the right who prefer that much of the country remains ignorant so they can start winning elections based on Guns,gays and abortion again.

I'm pro-education don't get me wrong, but what this bill does is make a privileged class of people. I'd pay out my ass if I wanted to go to an out-of-state university. (Fortunately I live in a great state for choosing colleges.) I'm on the low end of the totem pole. Ask an international student how much they pay to go to an American university. Not only did they have to pay out the ass, but they also had to prove that what they did in their foreign high schools are up to our educational standards.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 6:42 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
Everyone who is in this country pays taxes. Sales tax is charged on their purchases and property taxes are paid on the places they rent. Taxes are paid on the cars they buy and the fuel they use to run them. Most illegals do have taxes taken from their paychecks because it is illegal to pay wages without deducting taxes. It is really sad that the right-wing media has demonized people that are willing to work hard to provide a better life for their families. We would not have an illegal immigration problem at all if employers weren't willing to break the law to save a few bucks on wages. It's real simple, no jobs equals no money which means no immigration problem. How hard is that to understand?
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 6:44 pm

sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
Everyone who is in this country pays taxes. Sales tax is charged on their purchases and property taxes are paid on the places they rent. Taxes are paid on the cars they buy and the fuel they use to run them. Most illegals do have taxes taken from their paychecks because it is illegal to pay wages without deducting taxes. It is really sad that the right-wing media has demonized people that are willing to work hard to provide a better life for their families. We would not have an illegal immigration problem at all if employers weren't willing to break the law to save a few bucks on wages. It's real simple, no jobs equals no money which means no immigration problem. How hard is that to understand?
Like to see a link showing how much income tax the illegals pay...
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 6:55 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24054024/
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty4/22/2009, 7:10 pm

Scorpion wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24054024/
Nice link. It is interesting that social security taxes paid by illegals helps keep the system solvent.
The impact on Social Security is significant, though, because most of that money is never claimed by the people who pay it but instead helps cover retirement checks to legal workers.

Federal law prohibits paying Social Security to illegal immigrants, but the administration factors in both legal and illegal immigration when projecting the trust fund's long-term solvency.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!   Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants! Empty

Back to top Go down

Colleges push aid for illegal immigrants!
Page 1 of 1