Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty
PostSubject: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 1:35 pm

Promise made...Promise Kept! Goodbye to the dark ages of GW Bush!

Obama overturns Bush policy on stem cells
Source: AP

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Monday he is allowing federal taxpayer dollars to fund significantly broader research on embryonic stem cells because "medical miracles do not happen simply by accident," and promised his administration would make up for the ground lost under his predecessor.

Fulfilling a campaign promise, Obama signed an executive order expected to set in motion increased research that supporters believe could uncover cures for serious ailments from diabetes to paralysis. Obama's action, before a packed East Room audience, reverses former President George W. Bush's policy on stem cell research by undoing a 2001 directive that banned federal funding for research into stem lines created after that date.

Bush limited the use of taxpayer money to only the 21 stem cell lines that had been produced before his decision. He argued he was defending human life because days-old embryos — although typically from fertility clinics and already destined for destruction — are destroyed to create the stem cell lines.

The Obama order reverses that without addressing a separate legislative ban, which precludes any federal money paying for the development of stem cell lines. The legislation, however, does not prevent funds for research on those lines created without federal funding.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090309/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_stem_cells
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 3:09 pm

Yeah, what this economy needs right now- distributing more tax dollars to his leftist idealisms...

Why the hell does he seem to think he needs to do all this within his first couple of months in office? Why not work on getting this economy back on track, then work on projects like this?

Oh yeah- now I remember why-

Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells MAKINGMONEY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 3:13 pm

Using the stem cells from dead babies is what's moronic. I'm tempted to say it's a complete waste of money anyway. There's much more promise in adult stem cells but you wouldn't know it by the media.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 3:14 pm

shhh... don't say babies- it's "a blob" Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 3:17 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
Yeah, what this economy needs right now- distributing more tax dollars to his leftist idealisms...

Why the hell does he seem to think he needs to do all this within his first couple of months in office? Why not work on getting this economy back on track, then work on projects like this?

U. Michigan to launch embryonic stem cell programs
By JEFF KAROUB | Associated Press Writer

DETROIT - The University of Michigan announced Monday it was launching the state's first major embryonic stem cell research program since voters eased restrictions on such work in November.

The consortium, which will be based in the university's medical school, is expected to begin this spring. University officials say $2 million has been secured for hiring new scientists and technicians and other startup costs, and additional fundraising is under way.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-stemcells-michiga,0,7208032.story
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 3:50 pm

Mirage wrote:
Using the stem cells from dead babies is what's moronic.

What's even more moronic is claiming that this is a "dead baby"

Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells In-vitro-fertilization-4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 3:59 pm

edge540 wrote:
Mirage wrote:
Using the stem cells from dead babies is what's moronic.

What's even more moronic is claiming that this is a "dead baby"

Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells In-vitro-fertilization-4

You may not care for his looks but there's no denying those big blue eyes! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 4:20 pm

From what I'm seeing and hearing there are over 600,000 embryonic cells in the country right now, about 70 of them were adopted to be planted in other woman. All the others would be "tossed" away anyway. Why not use them to help other people get better? I'm all for this if it will help others.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 5:28 pm

party42 wrote:
From what I'm seeing and hearing there are over 600,000 embryonic cells in the country right now, about 70 of them were adopted to be planted in other woman. All the others would be "tossed" away anyway. Why not use them to help other people get better? I'm all for this if it will help others.

That's exactly the point,Party. We're not creating new embryonic cells,but using those that would be discarded anyway. The main reason Bush wouldn't allow it was nothing more than throwing a bone to the superstitious right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 6:40 pm

Ohhmama wrote:

Why you ask? Because he can walk and chew gum at the same time. People's lives are at stake here. We've already lost 8 years. How do you think people feel that have lost loved ones during that time that might have otherwise been helped?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 7:14 pm

RIIIGGGHHHTTTTT, I forgot- as long as it's the Omessiah spending the money, no one should care...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 7:34 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
RIIIGGGHHHTTTTT, I forgot- as long as it's the Omessiah spending the money, no one should care...

What are you talking about? I would have been very happy if Bush had allowed stem cell research and spent money to do it. It is badly needed.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 7:41 pm

Ohhmama wrote:

Ya know what? Because this is what he promised us he would do. Personally, I'm as pleased as punch about the reversal.

I'm sorry, but your party and its misguided policies were discredited by the election results. America's not buying what you're selling anymore. You guys lost. You really need to accept that fact. Every time I read a reference (by you or someone else) to Obama as "The Messiah" it betrays the fact that you guys haven't yet come to grips with your loss. I'd find that laughable, but the fact is, I actually care about some of you guys, in spite of the fact that we rarely agree.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 9:49 pm

Ohhmama wrote:

Quote :
“I’m very grateful that President Obama has lifted the restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research,” “These new rules will now make it possible for scientists to move forward. I urge researchers to make use of the opportunities that are available to them and to do all they can to fulfill the promise that stem cell research offers."
“Countless people, suffering from many different diseases, stand to benefit from the answers stem cell research can provide. We owe it to ourselves and to our children to do everything in our power to find cures for these diseases — and soon. As I’ve said before, time is short, and life is precious.”

Nancy Reagan
March 9th 2009
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090309/pl_politico/19787;_ylt=AlRNGyaN7pVYirR7aDo3W8ms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFlc2p0Mm11BHBvcwM4NQRzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX3BvbGl0aWNzBHNsawNuYW5jeXJlYWdhbnA-
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/9/2009, 10:04 pm

HATCH HAILS OBAMA DECISION TO LIFT BAN ON FUNDING FOR STEM CELL RESEARCH

http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=de3af197-1b78-be3e-e021-44ff3391f85d

Quote :
WASHINGTON -- Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) issued the following statement today in response to President Obama's decision to lift the ban on federal funding for stem cell research:

“President Obama’s decision to lift the ban on federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research offers renewed hope to millions of Americans afflicted with diabetes, leukemia, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries and a host of other ailments," Hatch said. "It also is gratifying to those of us who have been strong advocates of this research and who have worked so hard over the past 7 years to overturn the ban, which has hampered our scientists from making progress to the fullest extent possible in this promising field of research that may hold the key to curing so many of the world’s most deadly and debilitating diseases.

"I strongly believe that being pro-life means helping the living by allowing critically important and ethical medical research to go forward," the senator continued. "This research enhances, not diminishes, human life, and the President deserves credit for making that possible. Thanks to this decision, our nation’s scientists will maintain their pre-eminence in biomedical research and proceed, in accordance with strict ethical guidelines, with finding cures for diseases that affect virtually every family.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/10/2009, 7:56 am

The slippery slope has been well greased.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/10/2009, 9:25 pm

I'm wondering where this all ends. Now there's talk about funding research towards growing body parts as an alternation to donated transplants. I assume they essentially need to create a "fetus" to grow the organs. So if I understand this right then how can even the most liberal person not call that murder? Does human life only begin at the consent of a birth mother? So if a being were created merely for the harvesting of body parts it has no rights at all? That's just plain sick!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/10/2009, 10:54 pm

I'm still trying to understand why with the advances (the recent news of reprogramming these cells), why adult stem cell use isn't being pushed instead of embryonic?

why the need to kill babies if we can just use adult SC's...Oh wait- I get it - it'll affect the pro-abortion movement...
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/11/2009, 12:33 am

Ohhmama wrote:
I'm still trying to understand why with the advances (the recent news of reprogramming these cells), why adult stem cell use isn't being pushed instead of embryonic?

why the need to kill babies if we can just use adult SC's...Oh wait- I get it - it'll affect the pro-abortion movement...

What a load of crap. You act as if the science of adult stem cells has advanced to the point where they are now interchangeable with embryonic stems cells. That's just not the case.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics5.asp

It has absolutely nothing to do with what you call the "pro-abortion" movement. Do you honestly think that people like Nancy Reagan and Orrin Hatch are "pro-abortion?" Get real!

And what part of only using embryos that would otherwise be discarded don't you understand? Are you saying that throwing embryos into the trash is somehow OK, but the use of discarded embryos for scientific advancement to save lives is "killing babies?"

If so, how in the hell can you justify such a position?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/11/2009, 4:52 am

Hey let's go one step further into the absurdity of preying on the discarded undesirables. Hitler used to make soap & fertilizer & stuff out of the claimed subhuman Jews. So maybe when we do capital punishment we outta make it mandatory their remains be given to science and organ donation and base the method of execution on our intended use of the remains? Could you imagine the hue and cry over that?

Are you saying that throwing embryos into the trash is somehow OK

You gave me an idea. We should have a law that their remains should at least be destroyed as you would even do with a severed limb or removed body part, not just tossed into the trash.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/11/2009, 8:52 am

Scorpion wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:

What a load of crap. You act as if the science of adult stem cells has advanced to the point where they are now interchangeable with embryonic stems cells. That's just not the case.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics5.asp

It has absolutely nothing to do with what you call the "pro-abortion" movement. Do you honestly think that people like Nancy Reagan and Orrin Hatch are "pro-abortion?" Get real!

And what part of only using embryos that would otherwise be discarded don't you understand? Are you saying that throwing embryos into the trash is somehow OK, but the use of discarded embryos for scientific advancement to save lives is "killing babies?"

If so, how in the hell can you justify such a position?

So, the embryos lives are worthless, so experiment on them and then kill them. Adult stem cells are more stable, according to many scientists. IMO, the reason this law was thrown out, was to justify abortion. After all, the babies lives are sacrificed to save others. Doesn't that help the consciences of the pro-murder crowd???

OhhMama, you hit the nail on the head.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/11/2009, 8:55 am

Mirage wrote:
Hey let's go one step further into the absurdity of preying on the discarded undesirables. Hitler used to make soap & fertilizer & stuff out of the claimed subhuman Jews. So maybe when we do capital punishment we outta make it mandatory their remains be given to science and organ donation and base the method of execution on our intended use of the remains? Could you imagine the hue and cry over that?

Are you saying that throwing embryos into the trash is somehow OK

You gave me an idea. We should have a law that their remains should at least be destroyed as you would even do with a severed limb or removed body part, not just tossed into the trash.

This administration is using the same rationalism as Hitlers administration, to justify the mass murders of the babies.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/11/2009, 9:59 am

Tiger1 wrote:
IMO, the reason this law was thrown out, was to justify abortion. After all, the babies lives are sacrificed to save others. Doesn't that help the consciences of the pro-murder crowd???

It has absolutely nothing to do with abortion and btw,a majority of Americans support Obama's decision.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/11/2009, 10:14 am

Mirage wrote:
Hitler used to make soap & fertilizer & stuff out of the claimed subhuman Jews.

Tiger1 wrote:
This administration is using the same rationalism as Hitlers administration, to justify the mass murders of the babies.

He did that 'cause he believed in evolution.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty3/11/2009, 12:48 pm

Conservatives have had multiple chances to overturn Roe V. Wade since the 1970's. Though they have expressed their desire to overturn the decision, for almost 40 years they have lied to their constituents and failed to deliver. Republicans lied, and let their social conservative constituents down. I have my own views on abortion which are probably more appropriate for another thread, but I personally see no problem with embryonic stem cell research. I don't think it will encourage a woman to have an abortion, and I believe that if something good can come out of a horrific situation then I should be thankful for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells   Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama overturns moronic Bush policy on stem cells
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next