Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

now this is a stimulus package!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
the oracle

the oracle

now this is a stimulus package! Empty
PostSubject: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/11/2009, 4:46 am

congrats to the indiana house! http://www.indystar.com/article/20090211/NEWS0501/902110346/1304/LOCAL

unlike the federal package. which is 96.8% geared toward spending on programs with only 3.2% headed to infrastrucure spending, this plan is 100% geared for infrastructure improvements in indiana. when you actually breakdown the money, indiana will spend more on its infrastrucure next year, if this bill passes, then the much ballyhood fed bill would result in in indiana. (btw this plan would fund the little cal levee, and set aside potential money for an illiana expressway and/or part of the south shore expansion)

at first glance, im not a big proponant of spending the toll road trust fund either, on the other hand, the knowledge that nothing significant out of that funds interests revenues is being spent in this part of the state....so i say what the hell, it isnt doing us any good sitting there idly anyway...lets go ahead and spend it...and generate more state revenue through the jobs this bill creates!

the house passed the bill with a veto proof majority, however this bill is definately going to be vetoed...so the margin of the senate passage expected in a few weeks, will be very important to see if this bill has a chance at survival.

and no matter how you slice it...this is the first serious (and btw is a long overdue) challenge by elected indiana republicans, to the governors wishes. how the governor reacts could be very telling.

btw. speaking of the toll road money. it was just 2 years ago when we were promised by mostly republicans (a few dems too though) that money would go to infrastructure improvements, and lead to unprecedented job growth throughout indiana. well. in the last two months the state of indiana has had the largest increase of any state in job depletion! so i guess we were told wrong huh?

the toll road deal, the farther we get away from it, turns out to be worse, than even the naysayers predicted it would be. the thing is now that its old news, nobody seems to care anymore.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/11/2009, 6:30 am

Why do they always say, infrastrucure will "create jobs"? After all, for who? Those that are already in the field, working those type of jobs.

What's in it for young college grads, women or men that are baby-boomers, who lost their jobs early? People in certain fields unrelated to infrastracure?

I think they're passing quite a debt for our grandchildren to pay, with no clear plans where exactly this money should be spent on.

I'm really nervous about how they seem to dream up numbers, as every state holds their hands out.

What happened to the tollway money? Why has the toll road been not kept up by the foreignors, or did they forget to put that in the lease, along with snow removal...?
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/11/2009, 3:04 pm

infrastructure does legitamately create, and maintain jobs, but for the most part it does this in the short term in terms of construction workers.

there are however cases...say they are building a new power plant...where workers would be needed to maintain the facility permantly.

but more directly what they mean to imply is that infrastructure allows the private sector to create more jobs. for example the interstate system that ike built is likely the best job producer this country has ever seen. the commerce and industry that developed throughout the country because of it in the post war era is unprecedented in american history. the only thing that would come close in comparison would be the developments of the railroad industry in the early 1800's
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/11/2009, 5:44 pm

the oracle wrote:

unlike the federal package. which is 96.8% geared toward spending on programs with only 3.2% headed to infrastrucure spending,

Oracle,Where did you get these numbers from?
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/11/2009, 9:34 pm

a meeting with nirpc earlier this week. this was the information they gave out. and they also gave said that all of lake and porter counties would split 21 million between the two of them for infrastructure improvement work as of the latest proposal in the senate on monday (same number that appeared in one of the times stories today)

one added note regarding the fed money. it would be limited to federally regulated roads, bridges, water conduits (sewer lines connecting to federal waterways would qualify).

for those wondering hammond has put in a bid for that money to complete. i honestly dont know why its considered a federal road (but im told it is) the hammond bid is for the completion of the sewer line improvements (and road) of 165th street from about woodmar east to the state line.

i know munster is trying to get sewer work for their schoon ditch area out of the fed money as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/13/2009, 8:38 am

I think its stupid to cash out the toll road money to spend before we even get 1 cent from the porkulus package

leave the money alone, and spend the interest.

As soon as all that money is spent, then the state will need money again

And sorry Oracle, the toll road is a done deal, there is no getting around that and no one cares anymore, because its old news now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/13/2009, 9:38 am

165th is federal because it's part of the alternate route for 80/94. Keep going west and it connects back to 94 and to 294.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/13/2009, 1:53 pm

All but seven Democrats voted for the bill -- a 1,071 page, 8-inch-thick measure (& who had time to read through that?) that combines $281 billion in tax cuts for individuals and businesses with more than a half-trillion dollars in government spending. The money would go for infrastructure, health care and help for cash-starved state governments, among scores of programs. Seniors would get a $250 bonus Social Security check.

Obama claims the plan will save or create 3.5 million jobs, but Republicans said it won't work because it has too little in tax cuts and spreads too much money around to everyday projects like computer upgrades for federal agencies.

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/02/13/updates/breaking_news/doc49959f8a52db3857998754.txt

I have read over and over, that this is going to create a serious economic problem, far worse than we can ever imagine, if this stimulous for the whole nation is really going through. Too many states control their money, and do not do what the money is meant for.

It won't do a damn thing - mark my words.

P.S - Chicago outsourced its parking meters to "create a rainy day fund and to prevent future property tax increases". Bullcrap, I say. When is it ever enough for the politicians? When is it ever going to end? You might get it on one end, but you get poked somewhere else.

Seems this is the craziest this nation has gotten since I don't know when. How do you read an 8 inch think stimulation plan - and vote on it within a week? This is something our children/grandchildren are going to be paying for dearly. Not to mention the next 3-4 generations down. Democrats tax and spend...that's all they do. If this had indeed been a bi-partisian decision, I would trust it more.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/21/2009, 6:27 pm

wHERE ARE YOU GUYS? I just checked in tonite after many moons...is the board going down, and you guys are checked back at Northwest? What's going on?
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty2/21/2009, 11:58 pm

A couple of "hot topics" hit the papers and freetime started foaming at the mouth so some are keeping her in check. Fact is most of the news is at the National level and it is scary as HELL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: now this is a stimulus package!   now this is a stimulus package! Empty

Back to top Go down

now this is a stimulus package!
Page 1 of 1