Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same

Go down 
AuthorMessage

We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same Empty
PostSubject: We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same   We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same Empty2/10/2009, 9:14 am

Quote :
INSIDE WASHINGTON: Congress retreats, luxuriously

http://www.fool.com/news/associated-press/2009/02/06/inside-washington-congress-retreats-luxuriously.aspx

Members of Congress were quick to shame corporate executives for over-the-top extravagance during the economic crisis, flying private jets and taking luxury junkets. But some lawmakers are strolling fancy resorts spending tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars and mingling with lobbyists.

"We're very mindful" of perceptions, House Democratic Caucus Chairman John Larson told reporters Thursday camped outside of the sprawling Kingsmill Resort & Spa in Williamsburg, Va., where House Democrats were on their annual three-day retreat, which by some estimates has cost $100,000 in the past. "It's serious and it's from morning till night. We've been dwelling, rightfully, on the economy," said Larson, D-Conn.

Republicans and Democrats in the House have passed new rules governing such trips even as lawmakers say the events are useful for negotiating public policy. But with a nation tightening its belt and already fatigued by stories of corporate excess, perceptions matter these days in Washington. Congress risks shattering its glass house throwing stones.

I need a couple of days at some expensive retreat. I'm sure after spending time getting pampered all day, I'll be able to better focus on the task at hand. Anyone willing to fit the bill?? Rolling Eyes

Oh- and add to that cost the use of both a helicopter AND airplane to get me there- after all, I'm pretty important IMO, and need a fancy way to get there- 'a la Obama...
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same   We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same Empty2/10/2009, 11:03 am

You left out this part...

Quote :
Democrats spend taxpayer money on their retreat but do not permit lobbyists to accompany them. The public pays for a charter train from Washington to Williamsburg for many of the 200 members who attend, as well as conference rooms, security and catering.

Republicans spend no public money on their retreat, which occurred last month at the historic Homestead resort in Hot Springs, Va., spokesman Matt Lloyd said.

But Republicans allow special guests to join them: lobbyists who are part of the Congressional Institute, a nonprofit organization that arranges events for both political parties. They pay $25,000 to join the institute, which allows them to attend the first night's dinner at the Republican retreat as well as other events throughout the year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same   We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same Empty2/10/2009, 11:11 am

For the record- this wasn't meant as a R vs. D thread...

This has to do with people in the g'vment spending OUR money to attend a retreat- 150 miles from their offices for pampering because what? The offices we already pay for just don't supply masseuses?

I don't care if they "do not permit lobbyists to accompany them". Do they really need to spend our money to get pampered? That is my point. Do you really think because "no lobbyists attended" they should get a pass? Come on! Lobbyists can still visit them in their offices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same   We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same Empty2/10/2009, 11:16 am

Wow, I honestly don't know which is worse. One one hand we are just getting shafted on the other we might be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same   We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same Empty

Back to top Go down

We're promised CHANGE, but big government stays the same
Page 1 of 1