Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor

Go down 
+2
sparks
Artie60438
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty
PostSubject: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/5/2009, 1:30 pm

The most disturbing part of this is that this loon doesn't think she did anything wrong.....

Hillsborough GOP Committeewoman Quits Over E-Mail
By MARK DOUGLAS | WFLA
Published: February 5, 2009

TAMPA - Hillsborough Republican state committeewoman Carol R. Carter says she is resigning her post amid controversy over a racially tinged e-mail that she sent to eight friends.

"I have tendered my resignation," Carter said this morning, hours after a published report detailed an e-mail sent by Carter Jan. 30.

The e-mail questions how 2 million "blacks" could make it to the inauguration of Barack Obama but 200,000 couldn't make it out of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina.

Carter said she sent the e-mail to "eight people I thought were my friends," and never intended for it to become public. "It was an Internet joke," Carter said.

Carter said she deserved a reprimand for the e-mail but doesn't think it warranted the angry response it has received from state GOP leaders and others who are responding on blogs.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/05/hillsborough-gop-committeewoman-quits-over-e-mail/news-breaking/
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/5/2009, 1:54 pm

Bigots never do believe that their actions warrant the reaction that they receive. Carter said she deserved a reprimand for the e-mail but doesn't think it warranted the angry response it has received from state GOP leaders and others who are responding on blogs.
People like this never believe that their actions could be construed as racist. It's almost as if certain segments of the population take joy in the fact that so many of our poorest citizens had their homes and lives destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. I saw firsthand the damage that occurs from flooding last fall in Munster and it is not pretty. I hope others learn from this woman's mistake and not judge others by the color of their skin.
Back to top Go down
WhitingLib

WhitingLib

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/5/2009, 2:01 pm

sparks wrote:
It's almost as if certain segments of the population take joy in the fact that so many of our poorest citizens had their homes and lives destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

Yes, I have noticed. They act as if they "deserved it."
Sickening
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/5/2009, 2:21 pm

I got this same email from a friend who is a Rep. and I sent him back an email saying, that I had no idea but he could ask the new GOP leader Michael Steele. That shut him up fast!
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/5/2009, 2:49 pm

As most of you probably know the, "2 million "blacks" could make it to the inauguration of Barack Obama but 200,000 couldn't make it out of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina,"crack is just the latest rabid right talking point being used at what is left of the right wing circle jerk- the "other board."

Yeah, it's "typical." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WhitingLib

WhitingLib

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/5/2009, 9:44 pm

edge540 wrote:
As most of you probably know the, "2 million "blacks" could make it to the inauguration of Barack Obama but 200,000 couldn't make it out of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina,"crack is just the latest rabid right talking point being used at what is left of the right wing circle jerk- the "other board."

I just went "over there" and read some of the posts.
I'm staying away from there.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 5:33 am

WhitingLib wrote:
edge540 wrote:

I just went "over there" and read some of the posts.
I'm staying away from there.
It's reverting right back to what it used to be,the "Devil's Island" of forums.
Back to top Go down
stillhere219

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 6:17 am

It's pretty entertaining over "there" - like watching Fox News Network while this board resembles MSNBC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 7:38 am

I thought the Democratic party was all about tolerance?
And I love the mature, sensible way that "the other side" is being censured in this thread:
Quote :
loon
Quote :
read the demented, rabid, racist
Quote :
right wing circle jerk
Quote :
Bigots

It's one thing to say that she was wrong and needs punishment, but the name calling doesn't help your case.
And I feel the same, no matter who is doing the name calling, R or D.

Last edited by Bill B on 2/6/2009, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarified my position)
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 8:09 am

So tell us Bill, you would have a big problem calling David Duke a bigot or racist?

I don't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 9:20 am

David Duke is an avowed member of a self-proclaimed racist organization, so he is therefore a racist.
But every person that has ever made an insensitive remark is not a racist.
In this case the joke, in the form of ironic humor, was in very bad taste and race-based, but that does not mean that Ms. Carter is a racist.
Much of the 'humor' that goes around is directed at those in power but that doesn't mean that it is automatically racist. Is doonesbury racist because of the stereotypes that are addressed in the strip? It could be argued that they are being perpetuated by the comic, therefore he is racist.
Is it prejudiced to point out the irony of 100's (I heard 600) private jets flying into DC for the inaugeration of a common man? Or to point out that people can't afford digital converters for their tvs but can get to DC for the weekend?
Life is full of irony, deal with it, and while you're at it look up tolerance in the dictionary. The concept flows in more than one direction.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 9:27 am

Bill B wrote:
I thought the Democratic party was all about tolerance?
And I love the mature, sensible way that "the other side" is being censured in this thread:
Quote :
loon

It's one thing to say that she was wrong and needs punishment, but the name calling doesn't help your case.
And I feel the same, no matter who is doing the name calling, R or D.

Bill,I'm the one who referred to Carol Carter as a "loon". In retrospect,maybe I should have referred to her as a "mean spirited,ignorant,bigot".

How would you describe someone who thinks a catastrophic disaster where over 1800 people lost their lives is humorous?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 9:40 am

Bill B wrote:
David Duke is an avowed member of a self-proclaimed racist organization, so he is therefore a racist.
But every person that has ever made an insensitive remark is not a racist.
In this case the joke, in the form of ironic humor, was in very bad taste and race-based, but that does not mean that Ms. Carter is a racist.
Much of the 'humor' that goes around is directed at those in power but that doesn't mean that it is automatically racist. Is doonesbury racist because of the stereotypes that are addressed in the strip? It could be argued that they are being perpetuated by the comic, therefore he is racist.
Is it prejudiced to point out the irony of 100's (I heard 600) private jets flying into DC for the inaugeration of a common man? Or to point out that people can't afford digital converters for their tvs but can get to DC for the weekend?
Life is full of irony, deal with it, and while you're at it look up tolerance in the dictionary. The concept flows in more than one direction.
Great post,Bill. This will become a fantastic forum if everyone will discuss subjects on this level. BTW, I also
thought Edge's post was very insightful. Clearly, David Duke represents the kind of ignorant,hateful politics that have no place in a democracy.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 10:05 am

stillhere219 wrote:
... this board resembles MSNBC.
Please don't say that too loud - you'll dash all hopes of attracting any more intelligent posters.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 10:13 am

After all the uproar, I have yet to see anyone on this thread attempt to answer the question that was posed in the e-mail (and feel free to substitute the word 'people' for the word 'black' - it doesn't alter the underlying question).
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 10:18 am

Hmmmm, I didn't know that all of those 2 million at the inauguration were black people from New Orleans.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 10:47 am

I believe the question being asked is: If 2 million people could cram themselves into a restricted space in one or two days, why couldn't 200,000 people move themselves out of a restricted space into an unrestricted space after having been given four days notice?
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 10:52 am

No I don't think so:
quote:
Quote :
"The e-mail questions how 2 million "blacks" could make it to the inauguration of Barack Obama but 200,000 couldn't make it out of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina."

Me no see anything about "restricted space into an unrestricted space."

Here's the full unedited quote:
"I'm confused. How can 2 million Blacks get into Washington D.C. in subzero temperatures when 2 hundred thousand couldn't get out of New Orleans in 84 degree temps with 4 days notice?"

Clearly, it's simply a lame joke.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 11:14 am

edge540 wrote:
No I don't think so:
quote:
Quote :
"The e-mail questions how 2 million "blacks" could make it to the inauguration of Barack Obama but 200,000 couldn't make it out of New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina."

Me no see anything about "restricted space into an unrestricted space."

Here's the full unedited quote:
"I'm confused. How can 2 million Blacks get into Washington D.C. in subzero temperatures when 2 hundred thousand couldn't get out of New Orleans in 84 degree temps with 4 days notice?"

Clearly, it's simply a lame joke.
Physics 101, edge.
I'll type slowly so you get it.
The continental United States is a virtually unrestricted space - you know, you've heard the song - spacious skies, amber waves, purple mountains, fruited plain, sea to shining sea, etc.
The National Mall is a restricted space, with finite boundaries, yet 2 million people from across the unrestricted fruited plain managed to cram into it, under adverse weather conditions, without incident, in about two days.
Now, the flooded areas of New Orleans are what we who have a first-grade grasp of physics would call a 'restricted' area. Given four days notice, with lives at stake, one might be forgiven for thinking that the people who were in that 'restricted' space (see above) would have a desire to move into the 'unrestricted' space, i.e., the rest of the country, or at least a few miles inland. But they chose not to.
And that is the question.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 11:33 am

happy jack wrote:
I believe the question being asked is: If 2 million people could cram themselves into a restricted space in one or two days, why couldn't 200,000 people move themselves out of a restricted space into an unrestricted space after having been given four days notice?

Because just maybe they had the resources....like a car,airfare,hotel reservations,and the cash on hand to pay for it. You do realize that a lot of the people that didn't make it out were devoid of those resources,don't you?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 11:36 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Because just maybe they had the resources....like a car,airfare,hotel reservations,and the cash on hand to pay for it. You do realize that a lot of the people that didn't make it out were devoid of those resources,don't you?
Thanks for setting me straight, Artie. I didn't realize that none of those people had legs.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 12:02 pm

happy jack wrote:
Quote :
Physics 101, edge...

Physics doesn't have aqnything to do with it.
Spin it all you want jack.

It was lame, bigoted, foot-in-your-mouth joke that backfired.
Anybody that has a first-grade grasp of common sense would agree.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 12:08 pm

edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Quote :
Physics 101, edge...

Physics doesn't have aqnything to do with it.
Spin it all you want jack.

It was lame, bigoted joke that backfired.
Anybody that has a first-grade grasp of common sense would agree.
I'm not talking about the rightness or wrongness of the e-mail - I'm just waiting for an answer to the question asked in the e-mail, and it has not been forthcoming.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 12:22 pm

Really?
You're seriously waiting for an answer to a lame, bigoted joke?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty2/6/2009, 12:39 pm

Here's the Wonkeete's take on Carol Carter's follow up "apology" e-mail.
If we can’t laugh at the people we used to keep as slaves and continue to torment with outrages like the “eh” response to Katrina, then what can we laugh at, right? Anyway — and obviously — this was hardly the only recent incident of Hillsborough County, Florida GOP officials sending racist emails specifically about the great crisis of these people’s lives: a negro elected president, of America!
http://wonkette.com/406018/hilarious-racist-email-gets-gop-official-fired
Before anyone gets their shorts in an uproar, this is clearly satire which I view as very funny, taking a well deserved shot at a bigot who should have know better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor   GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor Empty

Back to top Go down

GOP's Twisted Sense of Humor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next