Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sparks

Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty
PostSubject: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 10:43 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090204/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bailout_executive_pay
President Obama moved to cap executive salaries of corporations receiving bailout money. I think this is a great move. I would like to see salaries of all executives of publicly traded corporations be linked to the performance of the company.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 11:00 am

sparks wrote:
President Obama moved to cap executive salaries of corporations receiving bailout money. I think this is a great move. I would like to see salaries of all executives of publicly traded corporations be linked to the performance of the company.
I have no problem with someone begging for a government handout having financial restrictions placed on him, but it is most certainly not the business of the government to set anyone's salary in the private sphere.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 11:08 am

happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:
I have no problem with someone begging for a government handout having financial restrictions placed on him, but it is most certainly not the business of the government to set anyone's salary in the private sphere.
I agree with you 100% that the government has no business setting salaries in the private sphere. However, I do not believe that companies that issue stocks that are publicly traded are private. Much of that stock is owned by middle class America, either as part of a pension fund or a mutual fund. The compensation for CEO's has increased with absolutely no accountability for performance. These fat cats have had a license to steal for far too long. This is just the start of what needs to be done to make Wall Street work for the average American.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 11:13 am

sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:
I agree with you 100% that the government has no business setting salaries in the private sphere. However, I do not believe that companies that issue stocks that are publicly traded are private. Much of that stock is owned by middle class America, either as part of a pension fund or a mutual fund. The compensation for CEO's has increased with absolutely no accountability for performance. These fat cats have had a license to steal for far too long. This is just the start of what needs to be done to make Wall Street work for the average American.

Then the solution is simple - don't purchase stock in companies with whom you have disagreements over executive salaries.
If you don't feel that a particular CEO is deserving of more money, then don't give him any.
You go your way, they go their way.
There is no need for government intervention.
Problem solved.
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 12:04 pm

sparks wrote:

Sparks, a publicly traded stock is a private company. Period. When the bank accepts tarp funds, then the government should step in a curb excess where they see it so the bank can get back on track.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 4:31 pm

Face wrote:
sparks wrote:

Sparks, a publicly traded stock is a private company. Period. When the bank accepts tarp funds, then the government should step in a curb excess where they see it so the bank can get back on track.
The government has the authority to regulate companies who have publicly traded stocks. IMO, when you have CEO's making hundreds of millions of dollars while that company is losing money, those executives are not acting in the best interests of the shareholders. I would like to see Congress pass laws that address the situation. I think it would help restore some trust back in Wall Street. Far too many CEO's treat the companies they run like their own personal piggy banks instead of acting in the shareholder's interests.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 4:39 pm

sparks wrote:
IMO, when you have CEO's making hundreds of millions of dollars while that company is losing money, those executives are not acting in the best interests of the shareholders.
Then the dissatisfied shareholders should pull their money out of that company. When the funds dry up, the CEOs will get the hint. Why should the government have anything at all to do with a person's private financial preferences?
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty2/4/2009, 4:49 pm

The shareholders can remove a CEO from office if they wish. It happens all the time. No need for government involvement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.   Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped. Empty

Back to top Go down

Executive salaries of companies receiving bailout money capped.
Page 1 of 1