Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery

Go down 
+6
happy jack
UrRight
Face
sparks
stillhere219
Artie60438
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty
PostSubject: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/28/2009, 10:42 pm

Apparently the GOP still hasn't hit bottom......I guess they'll be spending the next 2 years hoping the stimulus will fail......

by Jed L
Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 03:24:24 PM PST

This is impressive, even for the Republican Party:
GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Recoveryplan
Not a single vote in favor of the economic recovery plan passed today by the House. Nobody expected overwhelming GOP support. But for every single Republican member to oppose a new economic recovery plan?

After the 2008 election, that's just stunning.

But perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise. It's the same thing that happened in 1993, when not a single Republican voted for Clinton's stimulus bill after the first George Bush's presidency.

Hopefully the economy rebounds just as strongly this time as it did back then.

(Side note about the screen capture: the final vote was actually 244-188. One Democratic switched from 'nay' to 'yea' at the last second.)

Update (3:27PM): This type of partisan obstruction by Republicans is just another example of why Americans overwhelmingly favor the Democratic Party on issues like the economy.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/1/28/181833/100/369/690168
Back to top Go down
stillhere219

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 6:11 am

Leave the Republicans alone. Can't you see they're busy licking Rush Limbaugh's boots? When they finish we'll see if that makes them feel all better.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 6:24 am

I think the vote makes the Republican party look even worse in the eyes of the public. Our economy is in bad shape because of the ideas the Republican party has encted for the last 30 years. Deregulation created the financial crisis on Wall street and the housing market. Tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans while our budget deficit skyrocketed. Lack of a plan to fix health care. No plan to deal with our reliance on foreign oil. No plan to deal with Global warming. It will be great to see the stimulus plan passed so that the Obama administration can start making government work for the middle class once again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 4:16 pm

Or how bout the 11 Democrats that agreed with the R's?

Boys and girls lets see what they thought...

Quote :
Honour roll: the 11 Democrats who voted against the stimulus bill

Or roll of shame, if you prefer. In all the hullaballoo over the fact that not a single Republican in the House of Representatives voted for the stimulus bill, it's easy to forget that there were also 11 Democrats (mainly Blue Dog fiscal conservatives) who voted against. So who were they and why did they defy their party and President?

1. Bobby Bright - Alabama's second district

Bright said: "I feel strongly that the American people must have confidence that a recovery package is worth its tremendous price tag. Congress could have done this by simply focusing on investments in infrastructure and targeted tax relief for individuals and small businesses, but this legislation includes billions in additional spending that will have little effect on the economy."

2. Parker Griffith - Alabama's fifth district

He said he wanted more funding for projects "such as NASA, water and sewer and transportation" in the fifth district. "We need to jump start our economy and create new jobs, but this bill does not do enough to cut taxes, support small businesses or invest in our research and development programs. I hope that we can work together to improve this bill as it moves through the process so that taxpayers are protected and we do more to invest in the programs and projects important to North Alabama."

3. Allen Boyd - Florida's second district

He said: "I have serious concerns that this level of deficit spending without a plan toward fiscal responsibility will only make our economic problems worse. This stimulus package does not address the issues that we know are at least partly responsible for the economic downturn, and that is years of irresponsible fiscal policies rooted in out-of-control spending and borrowing."

4. Walt Minnick - Idaho's first district

He said: "Economic stimulus, no matter how much you spend, is only going to work if the US banking and financial system is also functioning." He added that until banks are lending money again, it's unrealistic to expect results.

5. Brad Ellsworth - Indiana's eighth district

He said that he supported many of the provisions in the bill and "it's clear that our economy cannot get back on its feet without some help."

But "there were far too many provisions that would provide little to no economic stimulus. I hope that the Senate and conference processes will result in an improved final bill."

6. Frank Kratovil - Maryland's first district

He said before the vote: "A stimulus package of this unimaginable size needs to be met with the reality that a recovery and reinvestment plan is an extraordinary response to an extraordinary crisis. It is not an opportunity to abandon fiscal discipline in lieu wasteful spending. The plan includes projects to the tune of $200 million to rebuild the National Mall and $50 million in funding for the National Endowment of the Arts. Although these may be admirable causes, they certainly are not emergencies and should not be lumped in with legitimate efforts to strengthen our economy and get people back to work."

7. Collin Peterson - Minnesota's seventh district

He said in a statement: "In this difficult economy, many in Congress are rushing to write and pass another massive federal spending bill. In my view, what we're considering will not solve our problems, and may in fact make matters worse." He added that the bill should have focussed on "programs directly resulting in job creation and infrastructure projects, and for unemployment compensation and food stamps".

8. Gene Taylor - Mississippi's 4th district

He said: "If anything is in it for the Coast, I don't know. I don't think it's worth the $800-billion price tag. I do think there are lower cost ways to stimulate the economy. For example, the multi-peril bill will pay for itself."

9. Heath Shuler - North Carolina's 11th district

He said: "The legislation before the House today contained too much additional spending in areas that will not offer immediate economic stimulus."

10. Paul Kanjorski - Pennsylvania's 11th district

He said:"I strongly agree that we must stimulate our economy to help it recover from the current crisis. However, considering the magnitude of this program, is vitally important that the Congress and American people fully understand both the problem and proposed solution. All Members of Congress from both sides of the aisle needed to provide their input, but unfortunately this was not possible."

11. Jim Cooper - Tennessee's fifth district

He said: "This bill had too many congressional pet projects and too few of President Obama's plans for jump-starting the economy. I hope the next version of the bill stays closer to its purpose: helping America recover from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.''

So the R's are concerned with the pig and waste, the above D's are concerned also- wtf is wrong with that??
pig pig Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 4:26 pm

Not to mention the opinion that "reaching out for bi-partisan support" seems to mean telling folks "I won, I expect to get what I want."
Oh, and by 0611 this morning all the republicans I know were either already at work or on the way.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 4:33 pm

[quote="Ohhmama"]Or how bout the 11 Democrats that agreed with the R's?

Quote :

Or roll of shame, if you prefer. In all the hullaballoo over the fact that not a single Republican in the House of Representatives voted for the stimulus bill, it's easy to forget that there were also 11 Democrats (mainly Blue Dog fiscal conservatives) who voted against. So who were they and why did they defy their party and President?

So the R's are concerned with the pig and waste, the above D's are concerned also- wtf is wrong with that??
pig pig Rolling Eyes

Wow! 11 middle aged white conservatives,most of who are from the South,decide to play to their base. Gee,Who could have predicted that? Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 4:41 pm

[quote="Artie60438"]
Ohhmama wrote:
Or how bout the 11 Democrats that agreed with the R's?

Quote :

pig pig Rolling Eyes

Wow! 11 middle aged white conservatives,most of who are from the South,decide to play to their base. Gee,Who could have predicted that? Razz

You turnin' racist on us there Artie?

So now these democrats who disagree are doing so cuz their white and from the south? Could just be that they don't agree with your messiah.... oh shame on them! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 4:48 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

You turnin' racist on us there Artie?

So now these democrats who disagree are doing so cuz their white and from the south? Could just be that they don't agree with your messiah.... oh shame on them! Rolling Eyes

No racism,Mama. They're appealing to their base,just like the Repubs are doing. All of those you mentioned are from either the South,or from rural white districts. The Republican party is heading over a cliff as they're becoming a marginal southern party.
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 6:26 pm

Actually Artie, I am not impressed at all with the bill. First I thought a stimulis would mean immediat action. Most of the spending will happen in 2010. How can that help????? We need help now, hopefully by then this all will have passed.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/29/2009, 9:04 pm

Someone suggested today on the news (don't ask me what news) that the only way the economy will recover is if they lower the capital tax from 50% something down to 5.5% percent, with restrictions that they hire workers in America and don't outsource to other countries.

In my eyes, that's the only answer. Otherwise, it's full of pork. Especially when the original plan called for allocating the funds to states to spend it the way they need to with no oversight. I could only envision how Blago would dispense the funds, and of course the Gov. Mitch Daniels. No control.

I don't know about the other states, but looking at what happened with the original TARP, and what prevailed without oversight, I'm against any bailout.

My answer would be to bring back the jobs that the corporations outsourced, and if they feel they can't make it in America, move to where they are outsourcing. No tax breaks for them. Bring the jobs back here.=

I'm tired of shopping for cheap crap that falls apart at Walmart. I don't buy clothes there...I don't trust the dollar stores anymore, I don't want to buy anything unless it is manufactured in the USA. Help me try and find that. I have to grow my own vegs to makes sure it doesn't come from Mexico, I plant the garden in Michigan...I lean on my parents for canned goods they canned themselves. I'm trying to buy American, but what's left? The Amish for furniture?

This stimulous package is exactly the way I thought it would turn out. Shitz for nothing. Turf for nothing...contraceptives for people who can buy it themselves if they really had a brain...stupid crap.

Obama lost me now...I thought it was gonna be about "change". When it came to "no lobbyists" he got his cake, and ate it, too. Now we're up to 12 that are "vital". Give me a break. What changed? The beat goes on. :bball:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/30/2009, 1:50 pm

From what I've heard this bill is pretty much economic stimulus in name only. Sorta like the S&L bailout was supposed to help the banking community recover from bad debt, but really doesn't. Only difference now is yet more Dems in the Congress. Can't blame the GOP for this boondoggle. lol!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/30/2009, 3:13 pm

Mirage wrote:
From what I've heard this bill is pretty much economic stimulus in name only.

Still watching Fixed News and listening to the Limbecile,huh?

Quote :
Sorta like the S&L bailout was supposed to help the banking community recover from bad debt, but really doesn't.

It's nothing like the bank bailouts,which I'll remind, you was Bush's idea.
Quote :

Only difference now is yet more Dems in the Congress. Can't blame the GOP for this boondoggle. lol!

No,but when it shows some progress,we'll be sure to remind voters that the R's were 100% against it Razz
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/30/2009, 3:43 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Mirage wrote:
Only difference now is yet more Dems in the Congress. Can't blame the GOP for this boondoggle. lol!

No,but when it shows some progress,we'll be sure to remind voters that the R's were 100% against it Razz
And if it doesn't, it will be a riot watching you try to back-pedal away from it.
By the way, Artie, is this just a small part of The Big Plan?
When are you going to explain The Big Plan to us?

When?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/30/2009, 3:53 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Mirage wrote:

Quote :
Sorta like the S&L bailout was supposed to help the banking community recover from bad debt, but really doesn't.

Quote :

Of course it was only Bush's idea, Rolling Eyes Congress certainly had nothing to do with the last stimulus package.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/30/2009, 10:44 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Mirage wrote:

Quote :

Quote :

Of course it was only Bush's idea, Rolling Eyes Congress certainly had nothing to do with the last stimulus package.

President Bush says bank bailout is necessary boost to financial system

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson says the ‘hundreds of billions’ of taxpayer dollars that would go toward proposed relief program would pay off in market stability.

By James Gerstenzang and Maura Reynolds
September 20, 2008

The Bush administration, moving to restore deeply shaken confidence in the nation’s economy, unveiled measures today to rescue banks from billions of dollars in bad debts, taking what the president called “unprecedented action” plunging the government deeply into the financial market place.

The measures, which sent the market indexes soaring, involve emergency lending and an attack on short selling of stocks to fight downward pressure on share prices. Government officials and lawmakers are also hard at work on a plan to unfreeze the credit markets by finding a way to take billions of dollars of bad mortgage-backed assets off the books of financial institutions.

President Bush, in a statement from the White House Rose Garden, called the moves “decisive” and necessary to “get our financial system moving again.”

“This is a pivotal moment for America’s economy,” he said. ” … There will be ample opportunity to debate the origins of this problem. Now is the time to solve It.”
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/sep/20/business/fi-bushmarkets20
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/30/2009, 11:33 pm

Did you not click the link in my article where it talked about Bush and Congress "ramped up talks" about the bailout.. crap Artie, take off the blinders...
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 6:17 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Artie, take off the blinders...
He can't. Truth burns his corneas.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 9:15 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Did you not click the link in my article where it talked about Bush and Congress "ramped up talks" about the bailout.. crap Artie, take off the blinders...

This was Bush's idea,lock,stock and barrel. It's kinda like trying to blame the Iraq war on Dems just because they went along with it for the most part. It didn't work for that and it's not going to work for this.

Google 'bush bailout plan' and then try democrat bailout plan' and you'll see that I'm right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 9:44 am

Artie60438 wrote:

This was Bush's idea,lock,stock and barrel. It's kinda like trying to blame the Iraq war on Dems just because they went along with it for the most part. It didn't work for that and it's not going to work for this.

So in other words, the majority party in congress couldn't come up with a leader that would present a viable alternative and it's still all bushs' fault.
I don't understand how handing out condoms will stimulate the economy.
I also like how they are getting on the order of $93k each raises in their petty cash allowances, while bitching about the bonuses paid elsewhere. More "do as I say, not as I do" from the great minds in congress.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 10:03 am

Bill B wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

So in other words, the majority party in congress couldn't come up with a leader that would present a viable alternative and it's still all bushs' fault.
I also like how they are getting on the order of $93k each raises in their petty cash allowances, while bitching about the bonuses paid elsewhere. More "do as I say, not as I do" from the great minds in congress.

Exactly. twenty years from now, if we are all blessed to still be here, artie will still blame everything on bush. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 11:06 am

Bill B wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Name all the Democratic legislation that Bush didn't veto.

Quote :

I believe that's being removed,but explain to us how unwanted pregnancies help the economy and lower the burden on taxpayers?
Quote :

I also like how they are getting on the order of $93k each raises in their petty cash allowances, while bitching about the bonuses paid elsewhere.

I'm not aware of that. Do you have a link to substantiate that? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 1:08 pm

Aw shucks Artie, you can hand out condoms on the street corner, but if they had a half-a-brain, you know they aren't gonna use them except to have water balloon fights.

Smart kids/adults would buy their own protection. Ain't up to society to dole out crap the fools ignore even when it's free at Planned Parenthood.

Besides, it would put the Murray show out of business. One gal dragged eight different baby daddies in for DNA testing. None of the 8 guys was the father. Do you think a condom would have helped someone like that?

They should have tied her tubes after that show.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 2:18 pm

Guess doling out rubbers would've prevented this mess...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

Grammaw's kicking her out of the house, and guess who really needs a bail-out? affraid
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 2:55 pm

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1406752,013109StimulusReally.article

Artie, why the stimulas isn't stimulating, where the hell did my type size go?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty1/31/2009, 3:41 pm

Wrong-O Artie

Quote :
The 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, scheduled meetings in Washington this weekend with Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and other senators to press for her state's share of the package.

Quote :
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist worked the phones last week with members of his state's congressional delegation, including House Republicans.

Quote :
Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas, the Republican vice chairman of the National Governors Association, planned to be in Washington on Monday to urge the Senate to approve the plan.

There are even more who have said they'd take the money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery   GOP 100% Against Economic Recovery Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next