Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens

Go down 
+3
lifeingreathammond
UrRight
Artie60438
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty
PostSubject: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty9/7/2010, 9:19 pm

Fantastic news and Hammond residents should be very proud...
Quote :
HAMMOND | With much hoopla, black and gold balloons adorning the foyer, and a sheet cake, the Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opened its doors to 315 students in grades six through nine Tuesday morning.

The charter school, in the works for nearly five years, was touted as the brainchild of Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., who said during a news conference shortly before the lunch hour that it's been a "rocky road" to get the school established.

"I have a tendency to exaggerate, but it didn't make sense to me that the mayor has so little input in how the schools are run," he said.

McDermott said he wanted to establish an educational alternative for Hammond students and families, many of whom could not afford a private education.

"The school is another example of our ongoing efforts to make Hammond an attractive place to live and raise a family," he said.

The school's curriculum and instruction methods were developed by the Purdue University Calumet School of Education, and will focus on project-based learning.

Purdue Calumet Chancellor Howard Cohen said it's important to the university that students are well prepared, adding the new school's creation in an urban community would be a story for years to come.

"This is how urban education is accomplished. This is the future of education in America," Cohen said.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty9/8/2010, 12:08 pm

As much as so many stated they were against the charter school, I am all FOR it.

I am hoping that these students arriving were scanned for whether they are A, B, C, or D students...and follow-up at the end of the school year to see if it made a significant difference, which I believe they will show a big difference not only academically, but will be empowered to try harder to succeed.

I would be the first in line if I had to send my kids to school in Hammond...to get them in a charter school, if Catholic tuition would not be affordable.

I'm betting it will be a success.

Mattlapp stated that most of the teachers are new, with no "mentor" or prior experience.

I say that is an added PLUS!

Why? Teachers that are fresh out of college, are up with the present and older teachers teach the "old" way, don't keep up with the latest...that's my view.

How else would a teacher fresh out of college get experienced, anyway, with the older ones that really need to be blamed for the way they teach these kids, and don't really keep up with the "times"?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty9/8/2010, 12:10 pm

While I can't back up what I am about to tell you, I read while in Michigan, several charter schools showed that they were very successful in Michigan. There were quite a few of them, but I can't copy and paste, something stupid happened to my tool bar, and as usual.....
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty9/8/2010, 4:22 pm

UrRight wrote:
As much as so many stated they were against the charter school, I am all FOR it.
Me too
Quote :
Mattlapp stated that most of the teachers are new, with no "mentor" or prior experience.

I say that is an added PLUS!

Why? Teachers that are fresh out of college, are up with the present and older teachers teach the "old" way, don't keep up with the latest...that's my view.

How else would a teacher fresh out of college get experienced, anyway, with the older ones that really need to be blamed for the way they teach these kids, and don't really keep up with the "times"?
They're also not burned out or cynical like some older teachers.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty9/8/2010, 8:02 pm

Yeah, and ontheotherboard.com, nothing but depressing, down-right derogatory comments.

As usual, it's a "fix" like college-bound, and pre-judged to fail.

It's all because whenever something DOES happen that may turn out positive, they still see something "political" in it.

If that's the case, Mayor Daley wouldn't have been in office for 21 years.

Can't Mayor McDermott ever do anything to please anyone without having a damn finger pointed at him, politics set aside?

I wouldn't send my kid to Hammond High, just as Tiger said she wouldn't send her kids to the charter school.

What does she know how they are different, unless she gives it without a chance. How are they able to predict ahead of time, that those that can't afford Catholic/private school and instead attend a charter school, are doomed to failure automatically? That's the part that peeves me.

Give it a damn chance before you predict on the first day what will happen.

Read the Post-Tribune and see how they reported the new charter school, giving it much more credit and a different perspective than the NWTimes paper. NWTimes is so lacking in professional reporting, I suggest you all start reading the Post-Tribune and see real pictures of those kids....decked out the way they are supposed to be...I'm so sick of the damn criticism everyone has and blames everything on the mayor...just because they hang around old hags of teachers...they think they know everything.

You can't move forward with teachers teaching YOUR kids that TAUGHT YOU, TIGER how long ago? I bet they don't have the slightest idea how to teach technology which is the FUTURE.

And these kids need an environment where they aren't being disrupted with gang-banging fights, and a crooked administration running the school. Hell, I'd move out before I subjected my kids to the atmosphere at Hammond High.

Give the mayor credit for taking it little by little...at least.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty9/8/2010, 8:12 pm

I'm not just signaling Tiger..I'm pointing out every poster over there...that says it's doomed before it really begins.

iS THERE ANYTHING POSITIVE YOU CAN SAY? Same ole people, making the same ole' remarks..always the down side, never a "hope this works out".
Back to top Go down
lifeingreathammond

lifeingreathammond

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/18/2011, 4:07 pm

I know I'm very late on telling what I have to say on this. But, I am very familiar with the Hammond Academy. They have old teachers there that are very up to date. Definitely not right out of college. The teachers that came right out of college have trouble with disciplining children, but their way of teaching is great. All the staff of this school is amazing. Even the staff that are not teachers are always there to help students.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/18/2011, 5:22 pm

Finally a view from inside the school. It is nice to hear that the staff in all aspects are taking advantage of this opportunity.
Back to top Go down
lifeingreathammond

lifeingreathammond

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/18/2011, 5:56 pm

I've been hearing so many bad things about the school. Not just on the threads but out in public. I can honestly and truthfully say, "the school is great, and a wonderful opportunity Smile for anyone who attends."
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/18/2011, 8:46 pm

Life, without trying to be too personal, can you tell us how old you are and how was your schooling like before attending the HAST?
Back to top Go down
lifeingreathammond

lifeingreathammond

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/18/2011, 8:51 pm

15, School before attending HAST was normal. I liked it a lot because, I was with friends I have know forever but, HAST is a great learning opportunity that will give me a better learning experience.
Back to top Go down
freekey1

freekey1

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/18/2011, 8:58 pm

lifeingreathammond wrote:
I've been hearing so many bad things about the school. Not just on the threads but out in public. I can honestly and truthfully say, "the school is great, and a wonderful opportunity Smile for anyone who attends."

This is a great thing to hear. Yes, it is sad that whenever Mayor McDermott puts his support behind something, a small handful of haters feel the need to down it.
Life, it's good to hear something from the inside. It sounds like you enjoy going to the school.
Back to top Go down
lifeingreathammond

lifeingreathammond

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/18/2011, 10:37 pm

What people say on the outside and what goes on on the inside I have noticed are two WAY different things. Many people think our school is something you have to be great to get into, but it is not. The academy has changed many students already and we are not even out of our first year yet. I think if we had people behind the scenes they would have many better things to say about our school. I encourage anyone who is curious about everyday life at HAST to call and arrange a tour of our temporary school where you can see it in person.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty2/19/2011, 11:08 pm

Well life your learning a valuable lesson in that. Dont ever believe something just because youve heard it. Theres a reason hearsay isnt admissable in court.

Everything ive heard about HAST has been positive. well other then what a few people frustrated about not getting in are saying. And they just wish there were more charters like HAST in Hammond
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens   Hammond Academy of Science and Technology opens Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1