Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Broadcast Academy at Area Career center

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sparks

Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty
PostSubject: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/17/2010, 7:30 am

I'm writing this as WJOB's morning show is being broadcast from the new broadcast studio at the Area Career center in Hammond. The video feed is superb and the sound is first rate. This new program at the old Hammond Tech is open to students from throughout Lake county. There are students from Munster and Schererville who are attending this school because of the incredible opportunity it represents. As time goes by, I think this academy is going to produce a large number of region residents who become broadcasting and media professionals.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/17/2010, 8:55 am

I agree. Everything looked great. I just wish JED & WJOB had spent more time familiarizing themselves with the technical stuff like airing phone calls before doing a live remote.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/17/2010, 9:48 am

Actually, I thought things were far better without the phone calls. I was able to comment on the great job Dr. Watkins is doing with the school city. The next call was our favorite grifter and JED cut her off. All of the programs were far more positive and focused without calls. I hope JED does more programs like this in the future. If WJOB wants to increase their market share, they need more positive programming like this. We had family fly in from Seattle last week and they thought the Preacher's show was the most pathetic radio they had ever heard. I had to tell them that most of WJOB doesn't feature washed up drunks.
As far as the technical glitches, I have found that the best way to learn is to just do it. That way you find out what kind of issues you have and can address them. I'm sure that the McHaters are totally melting down. JCMT used my screen name as Parkwaydave on the WJOB chat board today and I hammered him. He really can't handle the interactive format. As he tried to slam McDermott, I was commenting on the fact he was a deadbeat dad. What a loser. It was all kinds of fun. I have to go back to work, have a great day.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/18/2010, 4:49 pm

Speaking for my daughter, I can remember her getting her foot in the door as a 13 yr. old, promoting Hanson (brothers in a band)...dropping off material at B96.
I remember being so mad her insisting I drive her downtown as an eighth grader promoting this group. How wrong I was.
Brian, a guy from the station saw her determination, and perserverance, and he eventually took her under his wing. When it came to college, she attended NUI. Brian directed her to the pier, where college students stayed, so she basically was on her own, not just promoting the group, but got hands on experience in a real radio station, guidance and worked, went to school and interned at Channel 5 News.
She wasn't getting the proper education regarding her career, and paid top pay, taking out loans to join Columbia University on Michigan Avenue...staying up all night long in between interning, holding a job at the Marriott and babysitting, etc.
I do think this may be good starters for those interested in the field, but it doesn't come without going through a real college and connections.
She is living in L.A., does preparations for world tours for celebrity singers, has connections with radio broadcasters...but the thing is...even after touring worldwide with Britney Spears...you need an extreme background in marketing, sales, promoting, etc. They are not going to hire kids out of this school, Sparks.
It takes a LOT to get where she got...and she was in Peoples' Magazine, didn't brag about it, just that, it takes more than what you are promoting. You need to hold a real degree, intern and work the field without pay to prove yourself before you are hired.
I'm hoping they would offer one big school with different areas where different interests are involved...to prepare them for college. This school will not guarantee a job.
My daughter took college-oriented subjects in high-school that prepared her for dual roles not just in communications, but in promoting, and executing ideas in the entertainment center.
I'm not bragging, but she's met a lot of celebrities and turned down jobs...some are a dime a dozen...some need the use of her brain. She takes the jobs that utilizes her knowledge, experience, and her diverse educational background.
She can take care of herself and I never have to worry about her being without a job. She worked her azz off to be in that position and has thousands of connections. Her old boss begs her to this day to please move to Cleveland and be his assistant, "Can't do without you!" He's a billionaire...
She values her lifestyle, loves LA too much to move. Money is not her motive...loving and living and working the life she loves matters more than money.
This school does a little bit better than what they offer in high schools in Hammond, but I wish really and this is my perspective:
Separate the deviant from those that want to excel. Put the deviant in trailers, (ding-dong schools)...and allow those that want to exceed, take their education as a high regard to rest in peace without hall fights, being threatened, etc.
They did that back when I attended high school in the '70s. School was for those that wanted to learn. The trailers parked in the courtyard were for ding-dongs.
That's what Hammond should do with all their high schools. One for learning, one for ding dongs.
My wish is that they someday change the law that no one is allowed to drop out at 16. NO ONE. If they do...they get in the barnyard with criminals and clean the jails until they are 18. Watch how fast the drop rate will drop if that were to occur.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/19/2010, 11:18 am

UrRight wrote:

I do think this may be good starters for those interested in the field, but it doesn't come without going through a real college and connections.
True,but it's an opportunity to think about and explore another career path. While gettng an on-air broadcast job is extremely difficult,there are many,many other positions in the technical behind the scenes are of broadcasting.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/19/2010, 12:33 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
UrRight wrote:

True,but it's an opportunity to think about and explore another career path. While gettng an on-air broadcast job is extremely difficult,there are many,many other positions in the technical behind the scenes are of broadcasting.
You're 100% right about the # of jobs that are available working behind the camera or microphone.
Cable TV and Satellite radio are fueling the demand for people with technical skills and experience.Even finding an on air position is much easier than it was back when you only had three major TV networks.
Back to top Go down
BigFan

BigFan

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/19/2010, 1:58 pm

Just like the performing arts academy at Morton, this will make students well prepared for college of arts. Having this experience will make them better prepared to be accepted into premier schools throughout the country. These kids will now be able to compete with the well financed school kids in wealthy areas around the country. This is also another way to combat new home owner hesitation of moving to hammond because of the school system. You child can now attend state of the art vocational training, a performing arts academy, or the new charter school. It's nice to see the good snowballing in hammond.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty12/19/2010, 4:21 pm

I wish when I was in high school they would have had better opportunities to prepare us for college.

Back in the '70s they made you take HOME ECONOMICS...how to cook and sew (although I already knew how to make a dress, I had fun picking on a classmate, altering her pattern...she chased me from one side of the building to the other...)

But, back then it was so stupid. Not even teaching you to be anything but a housewife. LOL

Thankfully, back then, a rep from what was called the U.S. Civil S ervice Commissionvisited the typing pool office and gave us typing tests, and I got hired right after graduation.

The guys had the automobile repair course...I just believe now, these kids who go to school today should have every opportunity in any given field that is in the future. Anything but what is offered before this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broadcast Academy at Area Career center    Broadcast Academy at Area Career center  Empty

Back to top Go down

Broadcast Academy at Area Career center
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Indiana/Illinois :: Hammond-
Jump to: