Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Republicans War on Women

Go down 
+7
edge540
KarenT
UrRight
sparks
WhitingLib
Heretic
Artie60438
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/1/2012, 8:31 pm

‘Huge shift’ among female voters gives Obama lead in battleground states
Quote :
There is often a gender gap between the two political parties, with woman voters tending to favor the Democrats while a majority of men support Republican candidates. In recent weeks, however, as the Republican Party has become embroiled in the contraception issue, that gap has widened into an abyss.

A survey of a dozen swing states taken by USA Today shows President Obama leading Republican front-runner Mitt Romney by 51% to 42% among registered voters, just a month after having trailed by two points. Most of that change comes from women under 50, who now support Obama over Romney by roughly 60% to 30%, while in mid-February, the figures were more equal.

Obama now leads Romney among all women by 18 points and trails him among all men by just a single point. Romney is strongly favored only among men over 50, with whom he has a lead of 56% to 38%.
Looks like the GOP war on women is already starting to pay dividends. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/5/2012, 7:47 pm

RNC Chair: GOP’s ‘War On Women’ Like A ‘War On Caterpillars’
I'm sure comments like this will definitely help things Laughing
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/9/2012, 6:21 pm

Scott Walker's War on Women escalates
Quote :
Last Thursday, Scott Walker quietly repealed Wisconsin's equal pay law, sneaking in the bill signing just before his deadline for action, and without fanfare. His office sent a press release out on Friday listing the 50 bills he'd signed the day before, hoping perhaps to hide this little bomb.

But that's not the only stealth attack on women Walker enacted on Thurday. He signed three other bills, rolling back women's rights:

Quote :
The first bill bans abortion coverage through policies obtained through a health insurance exchange, set to be created under the federal health care reform law starting in 2014. The only exceptions would be in cases of rape, incest or medical necessity. [...]

The second bill requires a woman seeking an abortion to undergo an exam and consult with a doctor alone, away from her friends and family. The doctor must determine whether someone is pressuring the woman into the procedure. Doctors who break the law could be charged with a felony. [...]

The sex education bill requires teachers in schools that offer sex education to stress abstinence as the only sure way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

The bill also declares that sex education teachers do not have to address contraception. That's a dramatic shift from current state law, which requires teachers to instruct students on birth control options.

Scott Walker with his buddy Mitt Romney
Republicans War on Women - Page 9 120402_romney_wisco_ap_328
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 12:40 am

Artie60438 wrote:
The second bill requires a woman seeking an abortion to undergo an exam and consult with a doctor alone, away from her friends and family. The doctor must determine whether someone is pressuring the woman into the procedure. Doctors who break the law could be charged with a felony. [...]

Are you suggesting that it is acceptable that a woman be pressured into having an abortion?
Isn’t that just a teensy-weensy bit antithetical to the all-sacred ‘woman’s right to choose’?

Artie60438 wrote:
The sex education bill requires teachers in schools that offer sex education to stress abstinence as the only sure way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

Abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
Or do you know something I don’t know?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 7:44 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Are you suggesting that it is acceptable that a woman be pressured into having an abortion?
Isn’t that just a teensy-weensy bit antithetical to the all-sacred ‘woman’s right to choose’?
No I'm not suggesting that,but unless there is probable cause that suggests that a woman is being pressured I don't see any reason for them to be interrogated alone and treated like a suspect in a crime.

Artie60438 wrote:

Quote :
Abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
Yeah,as a matter of fact I do.....
Abstinence-Only Sex Education Statistics – Final Nail in the Coffin
Quote :
• There is no evidence to date that abstinence-only-until-marriage education delays teen sexual activity. Moreover, research shows that abstinence-only strategies may deter contraceptive use among sexually active teens, increasing their risk of unintended pregnancy and STIs.[23]

• A 2007 congressionally mandated study found that federally-funded abstinence-only programs have no beneficial impact on young people’s sexual behavior.[23]
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Teen-Sex-Ed.html
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 9:01 am

Artie60438 wrote:
No I'm not suggesting that,but unless there is probable cause that suggests that a woman is being pressured I don't see any reason for them to be interrogated alone and treated like a suspect in a crime.

Not to mention charging the doctors with a felony for noncompliance... Yeah, that's exactly what our overloaded court system needs.

Artie60438 wrote:

Well, this part wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the very next sentence in the article:

Quote :
The bill also declares that sex education teachers do not have to address contraception.

Which is why abstinence only education fails. Biology wins in any given population, which means teens will have sex whether we like it or not. That's just our reality, much like evolution or global warming. And thanks to programs like this, they won't have the knowledge they need to avoid an STD or pregnancy (and subsequent abortions) when they decide to do so.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 9:07 am

Artie60438 wrote:

Artie60438 wrote:

Quote :
Yeah,as a matter of fact I do.....
Abstinence-Only Sex Education Statistics – Final Nail in the Coffin
Quote :
• There is no evidence to date that abstinence-only-until-marriage education delays teen sexual activity. Moreover, research shows that abstinence-only strategies may deter contraceptive use among sexually active teens, increasing their risk of unintended pregnancy and STIs.[23]

• A 2007 congressionally mandated study found that federally-funded abstinence-only programs have no beneficial impact on young people’s sexual behavior.[23]

Great - you've discovered Google.
Except that doesn't have a thing to do with either refuting my statement or answering my question:

Quote :
Can you provide me with even one sure means of preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, other than abstinence?
Didn't think so.

Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 9:45 am

happy jack wrote:
Except that doesn't have a thing to do with either refuting my statement or answering my question:
Abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy and ...
Except your statement and question is a silly straw man argument.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 9:57 am

happy jack wrote:

[b]Great - you've discovered Google.
Yeah,you should try it sometime. Who knows? You might actually find some facts that could help you win an argument.
Quote :
Quote :
Ask Bristol Palin how well abstinence only worked out for her.

Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 10:05 am

It's not only the drug addicted leader of the GOP, Rush Limbaugh who insists that there is no republican war on women, now we also have Mitch McConnell claiming that there is no issue.

Quote :
Confused McConnell Thinks Female GOP Senators Agree With Him That There Is No ‘War On Women’

By Annie-Rose Strasser on Apr 9, 2012

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is either confused about what’s going on in his caucus, or in denial.

On a local Kentucky radio show today, the Senate minority leader argued that the female members in his caucus agree with him that the GOP’s “war on women” is just “a manufactured issue”:

MCCONNELL: There is no issue. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison and Kelly Ayotte from New Hampshire and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe from Maine I think would be the first to say — and Lisa Murkowski from Alaska — ‘we don’t see any evidence of this.’

Except that they do. Three of the four women McConnell names have already come out against the GOP’s war on women — Sens. Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK).

In fact, Murkowski specifically pushed back on claims like McConnell’s, saying, “If you don’t feel this is an attack, you need to go home and talk to your wife and your daughters.” Maybe McConnell should take her advice.

http://thinkprogress.org/special/2012/04/09/460746/mcconnell-war-on-women/?mobile=nc
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 10:49 am

Nikki Haley, too. Outright denial seems to be the latest talking point. Since every woman who's working and/or trying to find affordable healthcare knows better (and judging by the polls, there's an awful lot of 'em... Laughing), my guess is it's just to make the few male voters against such policies feel better, those who exist outside of the "Jesus put men in charge, get back to the kitchen, woman" mentality of the Religious Right, plus they get to spin it as the next Great Liberal Media Conspiracy. Gotta have the Boogeyman of the Week.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 2:57 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Yeah,you should try it sometime. Who knows? You might actually find some facts that could help you win an argument.
Quote :
Quote :

[b]This is my argument, which I have already indisputably won:

What in the hell does Bristol Palin have to do with anything?
She clearly did not practice abstinence, so she is irrelevant to this argument.
(Ask edge about straw men.)
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 3:21 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Quote :
Quote :

[b]This is my argument, which I have already indisputably won:

Sorry,but I clearly proved that abstinence only doesn't work well.

Quote :
[b]What in the hell does Bristol Palin have to do with anything?
Bristol Palin is a typical example of what happens when teens are not educated about all forms of birth control.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 3:34 pm

Given the fact that mr jack introduced the subject of abstinence:
Quote :
Seems to me that talking about abstinence, how abstinence does not work and conservatives views on it are indeed relevant.

Quote :
Sarah Palin's Views on Abstinence Lead to Second Grandchild

By K.C. Dermody | Yahoo! Contributor Network – Thu, Jul 21, 2011

COMMENTARY | Sarah Palin is known for her strong beliefs against sex before marriage. She is staunchly opposed to sex education for teenagers as well the distribution of contraceptives in schools paid for by tax dollars.

In September 2008, Sarah's 17-year-old daughter Bristol announced that she was five months pregnant while her mother continued to support beliefs that obviously do not work within her own family. That year she also voted to cut funding to a program that helped support teen mothers, according to the Washington Post.

In the ultimate hypocrisy, Bristol went on to earn more than $260,000 in 2009 as an advocate against teen pregnancy while at the same time admitting that abstinence was not realistic.

In a not so surprising turn-of-events, the news that Sarah's son Track is expecting a baby with his wife Britta was just released Thursday.

Pictures of the new bride posted on Facebook show that she is rather obviously expecting, while her marriage took place just two months ago.

The quick ceremony prompted many to ask whether Britta was pregnant, but supporters of conservative Sarah became extremely upset, continuing to argue that the new couple was not expecting. It certainly seemed like a shot-gun wedding, and today it was finally confirmed that the pregnancy came before the marriage.

Track apparently did not listen to his mother's or sister's advice, and I wonder how long it will be before the rest of the Palins are multiplying faster than a calculator.

People said the family has not responded to a request for a comment in regard to the pregnancy.

Rosie Pope, star of the Bravo show "Pregnant in Heels," said of Britta's posted pictures, "In my opinion it looks like she is more than four months along, as it is not customary to have a baby shower so early in a pregnancy and first-time moms usually take longer to pop," according to the New York Daily News.

The Palins make an excellent example for the latest research on abstinence education. The National Sexuality Resource Center's Sexuality Research and Social Policy completed a recent study that showed abstinence-only education does not delay or prevent teens from having sex. These same programs that Palin and many other conservatives support have received $1.5 billion in federal funding.
The editor of the academic journal of SRSP, Brian Devries, stated, "Sex educators know. Teens know. Parents know. And the research shows it. When will our policies and interventions reflect what science, research and best practices demonstrate? We need comprehensive sexuality education that is truly comprehensive."

With a second premarital pregnancy in the Palin family, how much more proof do our hypocritical politicians and ultra conservative right-wing Christians need?

mr jack wrote:
Quote :
Nobody made that argument except you which is why it's a straw man.
Quote :

Abstinence is the only sure way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases
Really? ...no shit?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 4:24 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

What in God's name are you talking about?
Abstinence works 100% of the time in preventing pregnancy, and would likely work 100% of the time in preventing sexually transmitted diseases, provided a person doesn't go around licking public toilet seats.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 4:28 pm

Quote :
Abstinence works 100% of the time in preventing pregnancy
And the earth is flat, water is wet and the sky is blue.
Quote :
What in God's name are you talking about?

Uhm, me thinks he's saying that contraception works too.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 4:47 pm

edge540 wrote:
Given the fact that mr jack introduced the subject of abstinence:

Check your chronology, edge – and watch out for that rake.

Artie60438 wrote:

edge540 wrote:

Tell that to the countless children sired by the Broken Rubber Brigade.
And, once again - rake.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/10/2012, 8:02 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

[b]What in God's name are you talking about?
Abstinence works 100% of the time in preventing pregnancy, and would likely work 100% of the time in preventing sexually transmitted diseases, provided a person doesn't go around licking public toilet seats.
Yes,abstinence is 100% effective but few people,especially teenagers are likely to be able to follow it,eg Bristol Palin. But teaching abstinence only clearly doesn't work as well as including all other methods of contraception,as I've already pointed out to you.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/11/2012, 8:50 am

happy jack wrote:

I did.
YOU were the first one to make a comment about the article. You brought the subject of abstinence into the discussion.

edge540 wrote:

happy jack wrote:
Tell that to the countless children sired by the Broken Rubber Brigade.
And, once again - rake.
You mean as opposed to conservative abstinence only education programs that do not work? LOL, yeah right.
I'm afraid there are millions of more children sired by teenagers who are the product of ineffective abstinence only education programs.

Ask the Palin family.
The rake thing is getting a little stale.

BTW, do you think public high schools should teach only abstinence or include education about all forms of contraception?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/11/2012, 11:40 am

edge540 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

I did.
YOU were the first one to make a comment about the article. You brought the subject of abstinence into the discussion.
edge, edge, edge – if I was able to make a comment on a previously posted article dealing with abstinence, then it would follow that the subject had already been brought into the discussion.
Do you see how that works?
Do you need me to define ‘chronology’?

edge540 wrote:

The rake thing is getting a little stale.
I can understand how it would get stale when you are the one constantly getting smacked by it.

edge540 wrote:

I'm afraid there are millions of more children sired by teenagers who are the product of ineffective abstinence only education programs.
Link, please?

edge540 wrote:

BTW, do you think public high schools should teach only abstinence or include education about all forms of contraception?
High schools should teach about all forms of contraception, but should stress that abstinence is the only one that is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/11/2012, 12:52 pm

happy jack wrote:
Do you see how that works?
Yes, I see your point now. I should have said that you started the discussion on abstinence only, you did not introduce the subject.

edge540 wrote:

Quote :
Link, please?
It's been proven that abstinence only education programs are a failure and the result is unintended pregnancies. See the Palin family. Didn't Heretic already explain that?
Condoms and other contraceptives work as opposed to abstinence only education programs that do not. Comprehensive approaches that include both abstinence
and the use of contraceptives work. See below. Stands to reason that there are more unintended pregnancies do to abstinence only education programs as opposed to comprehensive programs.

Quote :
EFFECTIVENESS OF SEX EDUCATION PROGRAMS

• Strong evidence suggests that comprehensive approaches to sex education help young people both to withstand the pressures to have sex too soon and to have healthy, responsible and mutually protective relationships when they do become sexually active.

• A November 2007 report found that “two-thirds of the 48 comprehensive programs that supported both abstinence and the use of condoms and contraceptives for sexually active teens had positive behavioral effects.” Many either delayed or reduced sexual activity, reduced the number of sexual partners, or increased the use of condoms or other contraceptives.

There is no evidence to date that abstinence-only-until-marriage education delays teen sexual activity. Moreover, research shows that abstinence-only strategies may deter contraceptive use among sexually active teens, increasing their risk of unintended pregnancy and STIs.

• A 2007 congressionally mandated study found that federally-funded abstinence-only programs have no beneficial impact on young people’s sexual behavior.

• Leading public health and medical professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, the American Nurses Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Public Health Association, the Institute of Medicine and the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, support a comprehensive approach to educating young people about sex.

edge540 wrote:

Quote :
High schools should teach about all forms of contraception, but should stress that abstinence is the only one that is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy.
Great!
Good to see that you do not agree with conservatives like Scott Walker who promote abstinence only.

Last edited by edge540 on 4/11/2012, 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/11/2012, 1:05 pm

edge540 wrote:
And a link to these “millions” of which you speak?

edge540 wrote:
Ask the Palin family.
Well, that’s one. Only 999,999 to go.

edge540 wrote:
Yes, I see your point now. I should have said that you started the discussion on abstinence only, you did not introduce the subject.
No, I started no such discussion. I just jumped onto a topic which had already been broached.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/11/2012, 1:13 pm

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:
And a link to these “millions” of which you speak?

Quote :
Of the approximately 750,000 teen pregnancies that occur each year, 82% are unintended.
Over ten tears, you want to do the math?

Quote :
Well, that’s one. Only 999,999 to go.
Pretty sure if Levi had used a condom (2% per-year pregnancy rate) Ms Palin would not have gotten pregnant...agree?

edge540 wrote:
Quote :
No, I started no such discussion. I just jumped onto a topic which had already been broached.

OK, you "jumped onto a topic" by making the first comment on the article, yes?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/11/2012, 2:08 pm

edge540 wrote:
Quote :
Of the approximately 750,000 teen pregnancies that occur each year, 82% are unintended.
Over ten tears, you want to do the math?

How many of those unintended pregnancies are the result of abstinence-only programs?
Can you show me the "millions"?
I can do the math.
Can you back up your claim?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty4/11/2012, 2:43 pm

[quote="edge540"]
happy jack wrote:

Quote :
Great!
Good to see that you do not agree with conservatives like Scott Walker who promote abstinence only.
I'm on board with that position too. Look at us....The Three Amigos Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Republicans War on Women   Republicans War on Women - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Republicans War on Women
Page 9 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next