Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty
PostSubject: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty5/26/2009, 7:58 am

At 10:16 AM the party of "NO" will begin permanently alienating Hispanic voters.....

Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayor
08:13 AM

President Obama will nominate appeals court judge Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court, multiple news outlets are reporting.

Sotomayor, 54, would be the first Hispanic and third woman in history to serve on the nation's highest court. There is currently only one woman on the high court, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Sotomayor is based in New York City. President Clinton appointed her to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals back in 1998. She is a graduate of Princeton University and Yale Law School.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2009/05/67273777/1
Obama will introduce Sotomayor at 10:15 a.m. in the East Room.

Last edited by Artie60438 on 5/26/2009, 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty5/26/2009, 11:52 pm

I cannot believe he would nominate this woman. A moderate who spends a lot of her time voting with the Republicans! AND!!! AND!!! She's got the John McCain seal of approval!!! What a joke!!!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty5/27/2009, 5:49 am

paul87920 wrote:
I cannot believe he would nominate this woman. A moderate who spends a lot of her time voting with the Republicans! AND!!! AND!!! She's got the John McCain seal of approval!!! What a joke!!!

#1 reason she's an excellent choice.........

True to form, Rush Limbaugh today said he hopes Sonia Sotomayor fails.

Sotomayor, a federal appeals court judge who was first appointed to the bench by Republican George H. W. Bush, is President Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court. Her nomination was announced at a press conference this morning. Hours later, Limbaugh was lashing out on his radio show:

Quote :
Do I want her to fail? Yeah. Do I want her to fail to get on the court? Yes. She'd be a disaster on the Court.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/26/limbaugh-i-hope-sotomayor_n_207690.html?view=print

McCain is up for reelection and the last thing he wants to do is piss off Latinos.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty5/27/2009, 8:17 am

Artie60438 wrote:
paul87920 wrote:

#1 reason she's an excellent choice.........

True to form, Rush Limbaugh today said he hopes Sonia Sotomayor fails.

Sotomayor, a federal appeals court judge who was first appointed to the bench by Republican George H. W. Bush, is President Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court. Her nomination was announced at a press conference this morning. Hours later, Limbaugh was lashing out on his radio show:

Quote :
Do I want her to fail? Yeah. Do I want her to fail to get on the court? Yes. She'd be a disaster on the Court.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/26/limbaugh-i-hope-sotomayor_n_207690.html?view=print

McCain is up for reelection and the last thing he wants to do is piss off Latinos.

She votes like a Republican. Might as well have handed over another appointee to President Bush. Sorry there was nothing excellent about this choice. I can't believe in a Democrat controlled Congress and White House that they would appoint this Conservative.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty5/27/2009, 3:02 pm

paul87920 wrote:

She votes like a Republican. Might as well have handed over another appointee to President Bush. Sorry there was nothing excellent about this choice. I can't believe in a Democrat controlled Congress and White House that they would appoint this Conservative.

I disagree,Paul. I simply cannot see Obama making a mistake like that,being that he taught constitutional law himself.

This is from a blog that has researched her cases. There are many examples of her cases there...
Quote :
Since joining the Second Circuit in 1998, Sotomayor has authored over 150 opinions, addressing a wide range of issues, in civil cases. To date, two of these decisions have been overturned by the Supreme Court; a third is under review and likely to be reversed. In those two cases (and likely the third), Sotomayor’s opinion was rejected by the Supreme Court’s more conservative majority and adopted by its more liberal dissenters (including Justice Souter). Those outcomes suggest that Sotomayor’s views would in many respects be similar to those of Justice Souter.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/judge-sotomayors-appellate-opinions-in-civil-cases/
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty7/7/2009, 4:36 pm

I'm sure we'll be hearing soon from the right that the ABA is a bunch of liberal,reverse racist,activist,commies....

American Bar Association Praises Sotomayor. Unanimously Tabs Supreme Court Pick As "Well Qualified"; Highest Rating From Lawyer Group
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty8/3/2009, 5:54 pm

This from the guy that thought nominating Caribou Barbie was a great idea. What a petty little man he has become......

McCain to vote against Sotomayor
Published: Aug. 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM

U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said Monday he will vote against President Barack Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court, U.S. Judge Sonia Sotomayor.

"There is no doubt that Judge Sotomayor has the professional background and qualifications that one hopes for in a Supreme Court nominee," McCain said on the floor of the U.S. Senate. "And obviously, Judge Sotomayor's life story is inspiring and compelling."

McCain said an outstanding resume and an inspiring life aren't enough for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court, MSNBC reported.

McCain said he didn't think Sotomayor shared his belief in judicial restraint and offered a bit of tit-for-tat -- noting that a Hispanic nominated by President George W. Bush for a circuit court post was blocked by Democrats in the Senate.

"Though she attempted to walk back from her long public record of judicial activism during her confirmation hearings, Judge Sotomayor cannot change her record," McCain said.

"(Regardless) of one's success in academics and in government service, an individual who does not appreciate the common sense limitations on judicial power in our democratic system of government ultimately lacks a key qualification for a lifetime appointment to the bench," the 2008 Republican presidential nominee. "For this reason, and no other, I am unable to support Judge Sotomayor's nomination."
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/08/03/McCain-to-vote-against-Sotomayor/UPI-87181249338723/
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty8/6/2009, 2:41 pm

Congratulations to Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor cheers cheers cheers

The Senate confirmed Justice Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court Thursday by a vote of 68-31. 9 Republicans joined in voting for her. Among those are Lugar-IN,Voinovich-OH,Graham-SC,Snowe-ME,Alexander-TN,Martinez-FL,Bond-MO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty8/6/2009, 6:00 pm

I remember when expresso used to post to himself all day...
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty8/6/2009, 6:41 pm

LoisLane wrote:
I remember when expresso used to post to himself all day...

I remember long ago when you actually added something to the discussion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court   Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama picks Judge Sonia Sotomayo for Supreme Court
Page 1 of 1