Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flu Watch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
paul87920

paul87920

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/26/2009, 7:37 am

Swine Flu

Honestly don't know what to think. SARS, Bird Flu, haven't we been through the mass hysteria enough times? I don't know, and I don't know if this is any different, but I'm not taking any risk.
Back to top Go down

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/26/2009, 11:05 am

There was a swine flu scare back in the 70's. It was all gloom and doom and had everyone scared to death. Nothing happened, or at least, not much anyway. I know people that just returned from Mexico.....I'm a little concerned about being around them right now but I guess if they came to my door right now I would let them in.
Back to top Go down

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/27/2009, 10:42 am

now there seems to be 40 cases of this flu up from 20 from yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 5:30 am

I'll offer a few links to help distinguish between the useless fearmongering that sadly counts as journalism nowadays and the valid concerns from health professionals:

Swine flu: a quick overview--and new New York and Kansas cases
Swine flu: What you need to know

And for the latest news and updates, keep an eye on Effect Measure. It's a blog written directly by public health administrators, scientists, and practitioners.

There certainly is cause for concern, which is why public health officials are taking it seriously, but the end of the world scenarios that have been all over the news the past few days are hilariously unwarranted. Last night's Daily Show had a wonderful roundup of clips, if anyone saw it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
sparks

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 8:10 am

Heretic wrote:
I'll offer a few links to help distinguish between the useless fearmongering that sadly counts as journalism nowadays and the valid concerns from health professionals:

Swine flu: a quick overview--and new New York and Kansas cases
Swine flu: What you need to know

And for the latest news and updates, keep an eye on Effect Measure. It's a blog written directly by public health administrators, scientists, and practitioners.

There certainly is cause for concern, which is why public health officials are taking it seriously, but the end of the world scenarios that have been all over the news the past few days are hilariously unwarranted. Last night's Daily Show had a wonderful roundup of clips, if anyone saw it. Laughing
Speaking of scenarios that are unwarranted, on another thread about swine flu, Mirage actually made the claim that the Democrats are to blame for this outbreak.
Mirage wrote:
If you really want to go there this thing in Mexico didn't even pop up until Obama and his super majorities in Congress were in power, so on this one in fairness it's all on the Dems.
I believe that risk assessment should be a required subject in every public school and that every elected official in this country should have to pass a risk assessment course. In spite of all the hysteria about swine flu in the media, the fact is that we are much more likely to meet our demise during our commute to work than as a result of the swine flu.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 8:22 am

I wrote:

Here's the link: Snoutbreak '09 - the Last 100 Days

sparks wrote:
I believe that risk assessment should be a required subject in every public school and that every elected official in this country should have to pass a risk assessment course.

It certainly couldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 10:48 am

Heretic wrote:

Here's the link: Snoutbreak '09 - the Last 100 Days

Thanks for the link. BTW - Did you happen to catch the story that broke yesterday which showed that one's political ideology determines how he/she perceives the Colbert Report?

Colbert Study: Conservatives Don't Know He's Joking

Since Colbert has been on the air for years, I found this story difficult to believe, but sure enough, I found a link to an abstract of the study, which was published in this month's issue ofThe International Journal of Press/Politics.

The Irony of Satire
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 11:25 am

That's awesome. :rolfcry:
Back to top Go down

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 3:01 pm

Indiana now has a confirmed case of the swine flu, at Notre Dame. It was just on the news.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 4:16 pm

I hope they are able to contain it to Notre Dame.
Back to top Go down

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty4/28/2009, 7:04 pm

As long as people can remember to use common sense, washing hands, coughing, &sneezing (preferrably in the "elbow area") or a tissue, at the very least, washing your hands after coughing or sneezing- that should help lessen spreading the virus around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flu Watch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flu Watch   Flu Watch Empty

Back to top Go down

Flu Watch
Page 1 of 1