Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.

Go down 
+5
Heretic
happy jack
edge540
Artie60438
sparks
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sparks

Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty
PostSubject: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 12:58 pm

More signs of positive change in the US. Vermont became the fourth state to allow gay couples the same rights as the rest of us.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/us/08vermont.html?partner=rss&emc=rss — The Vermont Legislature on Tuesday overrode Gov. Jim Douglas’s veto of a bill allowing gay couples to marry, mustering exactly enough votes to preserve the measure.

The step makes Vermont the first state to allow same-sex marriage through legislative action instead of a court ruling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 1:04 pm

sparks wrote:
More signs of positive change in the US. Vermont became the fourth state to allow gay couples the same rights as the rest of us.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/us/08vermont.html?partner=rss&emc=rss — The Vermont Legislature on Tuesday overrode Gov. Jim Douglas’s veto of a bill allowing gay couples to marry, mustering exactly enough votes to preserve the measure.

The step makes Vermont the first state to allow same-sex marriage through legislative action instead of a court ruling.
Point of clarification: Will you be moving soon?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 1:21 pm

LoisLane wrote:
sparks wrote:

Point of clarification: does implying that another person is gay somehow make you feel better about yourself? I hope so, because in the eyes of others, your lame attempt to take a shot at me just makes you look pathetic and ignorant. Don't worry though,I won't ask for an apology. I just consider the source.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 1:35 pm

LoisLane wrote:
sparks wrote:

Lois,You're obviously against gay marriage. I get that. Exactly how do 2 people of the same sex who love each other and want to marry,personally affect your life? Anyone else against gay marriage is also free to join in and answer this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 1:57 pm

sparks wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
sparks wrote:

Point of clarification: does implying that another person is gay somehow make you feel better about yourself? I hope so, because in the eyes of others, your lame attempt to take a shot at me just makes you look pathetic and ignorant. Don't worry though,I won't ask for an apology. I just consider the source.
You just seem to display a huge amount of interest in the subject. I was just curious.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 2:19 pm

...so do you Lois.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 2:26 pm

edge540 wrote:
...so do you Lois.

Nah, she just seems to be the type of person that has a hard time being nice to anyone. It seems some people just have a HUGE chip on their shoulder...and she is one of them.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 2:30 pm

party42 wrote:
edge540 wrote:
...so do you Lois.

Nah, she just seems to be the type of person that has a hard time being nice to anyone. It seems some people just have a HUGE chip on their shoulder...and she is one of them.
She's always been nice to me.
Of course, I'm hard not to like.
Ask anyone.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 2:33 pm

LoisLane wrote:
You just seem to display a huge amount of interest in the subject. I was just curious.

Civil rights have always been an important issue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 2:37 pm

happy jack wrote:

Of course, I'm hard not to like

I beg to differ.
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 2:40 pm

party42 wrote:
edge540 wrote:
...so do you Lois.

Yes, I 've noticed that since Jan 20, 2009 some people have become extremely surly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 6:02 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Lois,You're obviously against gay marriage. I get that. Exactly how do 2 people of the same sex who love each other and want to marry,personally affect your life? Anyone else against gay marriage is also free to join in and answer this.
Again, and for the last time, I am from a very small European country. My beliefs and values differ widely from yours, due to historic and old country upbringing. I do not like same sex marriage, and I feel if two "partners" want to live together, that is their prerogative. However, I don't need to be exposed to it, and have it thrown in my face. In addition, like religion, keep it to yourself, I am not interested. If I don't share your beliefs, leave me alone. I wish not to be influenced. Are we clear on this?
Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 7:13 pm

How is living together or being married exposing you? We have some families in the neighborhood that live together and some that are married. With people keeping their own names nowadays, I can't always tell which is which.

KarenT
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 8:12 pm

LoisLane wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Lois,You're obviously against gay marriage. I get that. Anyone else against gay marriage is also free to join in and answer this.
Again, and for the last time, I am from a very small European country. My beliefs and values differ widely from yours, due to historic and old country upbringing. I do not like same sex marriage, and I feel if two "partners" want to live together, that is their prerogative. However, I don't need to be exposed to it, and have it thrown in my face. In addition, like religion, keep it to yourself, I am not interested. If I don't share your beliefs, leave me alone. I wish not to be influenced. Are we clear on this?

Lois,Thanks for the reply,but you didn't answer my question. Exactly how do 2 people of the same sex who love each other and want to marry,personally affect your life? Why shouldn't they have the same rights as you do?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/7/2009, 8:23 pm

I believe all people should have the same right to get married as myself. I am very happy to see another state come to their senses. I don't think it will be long before all or most states are on the same page.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 6:16 am

party42 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Of course, I'm hard not to like

I beg to differ.
I think you're just in denial, party42.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 7:41 am

This ought to cause some wingnut heads to explode...

White House invites gay families to Easter event
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 10:24 am

I see no problem with this Artie. Everyone who wants to attend should be allowed to.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 10:33 am

Yet Barry Himself maintains that, "marriage is between a man and a woman."
What's He trying to pull here?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 11:17 am

happy jack wrote:
Promote fair treatment for all,perhaps?
Family Equality council wrote:
the Obama administration actually reached out to us as an organization, and said we want gay families there, and they are an important part of the American family fabric," said Jennifer Chrisler, executive director of the Boston-based Family Equality Council, which is helping spearhead the effort to organize families to attend.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 11:37 am

sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:
the Obama administration actually reached out to us as an organization, and said we want gay families there, and they are an important part of the American family fabric," said Jennifer Chrisler, executive director of the Boston-based Family Equality Council, which is helping spearhead the effort to organize families to attend.
Fair treatment for all?
That certainly doesn’t coincide with His stance on same-sex marriage, does it?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 12:20 pm

happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Fair treatment for all?

Yeah, well just for the record, here is Obama's actual position on the subject...

http://pewforum.org/religion08/compare.php?Issue=Gay_Marriage

Quote :
Obama says that he personally believes that "marriage is between a man and a woman" but also says that "equality is a moral imperative" for gay and lesbian Americans. He advocates the complete repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) because "federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does." He supports granting civil unions for gay couples, and in 2006 he opposed a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/alexokrent/gGggJS

Quote :
As your President, I will use the bully pulpit to urge states to treat same-sex couples with full
equality in their family and adoption laws. I personally believe that civil unions represent the best
way to secure that equal treatment. But I also believe that the federal government should not
stand in the way of states that want to decide on their own how best to pursue equality for gay and
lesbian couples — whether that means a domestic partnership, a civil union, or a civil marriage.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 12:26 pm

happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Fair treatment for all?
From what I have read, Obama has consistently supported gay rights issues. Apparently you aren't able to see a leader can be in favor of extending civil rights to all Americans even though he doesn't agree with their choices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 6:30 pm

party42 wrote:
I believe all people should have the same right to get married as myself. I am very happy to see another state come to their senses. I don't think it will be long before all or most states are on the same page.
Right, and we've found a cure for the prevention of A.I.D.S. I guess we've all thrown that variable out the window, right?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty4/8/2009, 7:20 pm

LoisLane wrote:
party42 wrote:
Right, and we've found a cure for the prevention of A.I.D.S. I guess we've all thrown that variable out the window, right?

Wouldn't marriage rights promote monogamous relationships?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.   Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal. Empty

Back to top Go down

Vermont legislature overrides veto,makes gay marriage legal.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: