Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sparks

Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty
PostSubject: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 7:52 am

http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/story/Lab-Finds-Lead-in-Chinese-Made-Hannah-Montana-Toys/r758yYYk3Ei5e0yADkWjuw.cspx
The Center for Environment Health looked at 28 Hannah Montana toys, and say nine had high levels of lead. The toys include backpacks, wallets and purses.

The center says a Girls Rock backpack from Walmart.com and a Secret Star wallet from Toys 'R Us had lead content of 1,800 parts per million-to-8,300 parts per million. The federal standard of safety for lead in paint is 600 parts per million

These kind of stories about contaminated products coming out of China are becoming pretty common stories in the news. What is interesting about this one is the fact that Rush Limbaugh used this story to close out his show yesterday.
RUSH: I'll have more details on this tomorrow, but there's a new limit on lead in children's products. It means books are going to have to be burned and dirt bikes taken off showroom floors. A hundred million dollars in inventory is going to have to be taken out of stores. Government regulations are about to ruin yet another business.http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_021609/content/01125104.guest.html

I can't believe that Rush's listeners actually buy into his BS. The government regulations about lead in consumer products are there to protect our health.The claim that there is a "new limit on lead in children's products" is a lie.These standards were adopted over three decades ago. If Disney was negligent in overseeing their vendors, that is Disney's fault, not the fault of "government regulations".
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 8:09 am

If you buy one, don't stick it in your mouth...pretty simple to me.
Are you really worried about your Hanna Montana action figures?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 8:21 am

So Sparks, you going to say anything about lead in the toys you had as a child?

I used to live in an apartment that had lead paint beneath all the other layers of paint on the walls. And guess what, it is 100% legal for the apartment complexes to do that, since the Feds said so.

Before you make shots at China, look in your own backyard first. Lots and lots of lead still everywhere in the United States as well, which is 100% legal
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 8:37 am

Sparks, did you know lead is used in the PVC jacketing for wire and cable?

It's only been in the last few years that efforts have been made to eliminate lead from that application.

http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/wire-cable/wirecable-factsheet.pdf
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 9:08 am

sparks wrote:

These kind of stories about contaminated products coming out of China are becoming pretty common stories in the news. What is interesting about this one is the fact that Rush Limbaugh used this story to close out his show yesterday.
RUSH: I'll have more details on this tomorrow, but there's a new limit on lead in children's products. It means books are going to have to be burned and dirt bikes taken off showroom floors. A hundred million dollars in inventory is going to have to be taken out of stores. Government regulations are about to ruin yet another business.http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_021609/content/01125104.guest.html

I can't believe that Rush's listeners actually buy into his BS. The government regulations about lead in consumer products are there to protect our health.The claim that there is a "new limit on lead in children's products" is a lie.These standards were adopted over three decades ago. If Disney was negligent in overseeing their vendors, that is Disney's fault, not the fault of "government regulations".

Gee,Where was the Limbecile's outrage when Bush signed the bill that authorized it? I wonder how he's going to try and blame the Democrats for this,considering it passed with overwhelming bipartisan support....

President Bush Signs into Law the "Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008"
Aug.14.08

After much anticipation, the President signed the “Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008” into law today. The conference report passed in the House of Representatives by a vote of 424 – 1 on July 30, 2008; and passed in the Senate by a vote of 89 – 3 on July 31, 2008.
http://www.crowell.com/NewsEvents/Newsletter.aspx?id=985
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 9:16 am

Robin Banks wrote:

It's only been in the last few years that efforts have been made to eliminate lead from that application.

Wire that is encased in lead is still manufactured and used in corrosive environments, such as refineries. Electricians who have the skills and training needed to pull,splice and terminate lead cable are sought after in the electrical industry. However, the point I was making is that Rush Limbaugh is using outright deception in his claims about government regulations destroying businesses. His shows are full of lies and misleading distortions.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 9:24 am

Oh, I thought you were concerned about the health and safety of kids who may be exposed to high levels of lead. My mistake! I should have known it was about bashing someone instead.

I made my post because I wanted you to be aware of potential exposure to lead that is used in the PVC jacket that coats all kinds of wire. But clearly you know all there is to know about it.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 9:26 am

sparks wrote:
However, the point I was making is that Rush Limbaugh is using outright deception in his claims about government regulations destroying businesses. His shows are full of lies and misleading distortions.[/b]

On Feb 13,the Limbecile claimed that Obama was hiding the facts about the stimulus package because they put the bill in a PDF format that couldn't get searched by a keyword......

Memo to Limbaugh: Try CTRL+F before blasting Dems for purportedly unsearchable bill
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 9:33 am

Robin Banks wrote:
Oh, I thought you were concerned about the health and safety of kids who may be exposed to high levels of lead. My mistake! I should have known it was about bashing someone instead.

I made my post because I wanted you to be aware of potential exposure to lead that is used in the PVC jacket that coats all kinds of wire. But clearly you know all there is to know about it.
I thought the focus of this thread was pretty clear. My posts are pretty consistent regarding environmental issues. I continue to maintain that the Republican party has spent the last 30 years or so trying to undermine environmental regulations in this country to allow corporations to make bigger profits. It seems to me that you spend a large amount of energy trying to engage me with personal attacks. Be sure to let me know how that works out for you. Is this going to be another thread you run away from like the "Harvest Mouse" thread?

Last edited by sparks on 2/17/2009, 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 9:37 am

If you are against lead in toys, you need to be against lead in everything Sparks

It doesn't matter if it is incased, that does not mean a child cannot get at the lead at any time.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 9:41 am

mike3775 wrote:
If you are against lead in toys, you need to be against lead in everything Sparks

It doesn't matter if it is incased, that does not mean a child cannot get at the lead at any time.
Lead covered cable is installed in refineries and other industrial setting that are not open to the general public. I believe the security guards at the entrance to BP-Whiting would prevent children from entering that facility.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 10:02 am

PVC covered cable is used all over the place. Until recently, the PVC was formulated with lead stabilizers. I'm just looking out for your safety. Have you ever been checked for lead in your blood?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 12:14 pm

sparks wrote:
Robin Banks wrote:

Wire that is encased in lead is still manufactured and used in corrosive environments, such as refineries. Electricians who have the skills and training needed to pull,splice and terminate lead cable are sought after in the electrical industry. However, the point I was making is that Rush Limbaugh is using outright deception in his claims about government regulations destroying businesses. His shows are full of lies and misleading distortions.

Rush has often admitted he uses the extreme to show the obvious. It's kinda curious that while US factories are strapped by tons of regulatory red tape complying with numerous standards, some better than others, countries like China often disregard those regulations and their underlying concerns and continue to undercut US production prices by cutting corners.

So OK Obama is now in charge. Now what is he going to do to curb all these non-compliant imports? What is he going to do to discourage imports such as these?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 4:13 pm

sparks wrote:
http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/story/Lab-Finds-Lead-in-Chinese-Made-Hannah-Montana-Toys/r758yYYk3Ei5e0yADkWjuw.cspx
The Center for Environment Health looked at 28 Hannah Montana toys, and say nine had high levels of lead. The toys include backpacks, wallets and purses.

The center says a Girls Rock backpack from Walmart.com and a Secret Star wallet from Toys 'R Us had lead content of 1,800 parts per million-to-8,300 parts per million. The federal standard of safety for lead in paint is 600 parts per million

Another reason our "european, judeo-christian" society is better- we know not to put lead in our toys. Shocked

Now if we can just get these a-holes in the gov'ment to keep the companies here to make toys- well our "society" might be better off, more jobs, blah, blah, blah...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/17/2009, 10:56 pm

So Sparks, how about the lead based paint that is more than lilely found in every apartment building built prior to the 1980's?

You going to go out and demand all that is 100% removed as well?

How about the lead in matchbox cars from the 1980's- 1990's? You going to raise a fuss over those as well?

How about the lead that some vehicles are allowed to be placed in vehicles because they only run on leaded gasoline? Got to get rid of those as well right?

Can't have no exemptions to the no lead rule in the world
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty2/18/2009, 12:02 am

A thought struck me. Back when all these mandates to remove lead from paint in particular came to be I wonder how much of a factor lead was in interfering with government surveillance technology of the day? Today it's probably not as much of a concern but I wonder if that didn't help get the bandwagon started.

Obviously we are better off striving towards being lead free period where possible, but does it truly matter if lead paint is on cars or motorcycles? Or is the purpose merely to keep lead based paint out of the country entirely just because of a prior concern? Sorta like thinking a commercial aircraft might come crashing down because someone made a cell call in flight. There may have been a reason at one time that was taken to an extreme and now remains on the books to be enforced. Except it's NOT being enforced against existing and imported items like it should be if health is the real concern. At least I think that was really Rush's point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.   Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys. Empty

Back to top Go down

Lead in Chinese made Hannah Montana toys.
Page 1 of 1