Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

McDermott running for chairman

Go down 
+3
board monkey
the oracle
voter3
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
voter3

McDermott running for chairman Empty
PostSubject: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/23/2009, 8:08 pm

I dont know why but Mayor Mcdermott talked this morning about running for Lake County Democratic Chairman. He is facing Rudy Clay and George Van til. A lot of factors come in to play but if he can get the south counties behind him he has a very good chance of winning. I think it is obvious that rudy has his hands full and Van Til has his own issues...it will be interesting to see how this turn out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/24/2009, 7:23 am

McDermott has been speaking at many building trade union meetings and recently received an endorsement from the carpenters union. He seems very serious in his attempt to become commissioner.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/24/2009, 7:58 am

I think he would be a good leader for the party but it seems like a lot of headache.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/24/2009, 9:09 am

i hear rudy may keep his people home come vote night. kind of a redux of the fiasco 4 years ago that gave him the party chairmanship in the first place. it will be interesting to see how the state party leaders hash things out if he does.

although i think it notable, that while rudy 'paid his own way' to the innaugeration, it was evan bayh and the state democratic party that bought the hammond mayors ticket to the ball.

i know its just tea leaves, but i read that as meaning if rudy takes his ball and goes home and prevents a democratic vote than mcdermott has the inside track of being named county chair.
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/24/2009, 9:27 am

I remember the fiascos from 4 years ago. I believe there were three seperate attempts to get a quorum and they all failed. If Rudy does this, then he should be removed from the chair immediately.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/24/2009, 9:43 pm

You know I mentioned GVT and Scotty told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Very Happy

Still, like Oracle I didn't think McDermott would run. I think it's a mistake myself, but it's not like he listens to my opinions anyway. LOL
Back to top Go down
FFScott

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/24/2009, 10:39 pm

Mirage wrote:
You know I mentioned GVT and Scotty told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Very Happy

Still, like Oracle I didn't think McDermott would run. I think it's a mistake myself, but it's not like he listens to my opinions anyway. LOL

You said GVT would win and McDermott would not run I told you that you were wrong. I stand by that. Stick with republicans please.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/25/2009, 9:25 am

FFScott wrote:
Mirage wrote:

You said GVT would win and McDermott would not run I told you that you were wrong. I stand by that. Stick with republicans please.

Keep in mine I never said McDermott wouldn't win if he wanted it. I just think it would be a mistake for him. Does anybody outside of Gary actually want to see Rudy's smiling mug in the paper all the time representing the party? affraid

OTOH at his age I suppose Rudy probably wouldn't hold the position any farther than the next Presidential election, as opposed to a young Tom McDermott whom might, in theory at least, hold it for decades. So it will be interesting to see who those who may have a desire for a shot at the position in the future may want to support. Wink

Now if Rudy saw he wasn't likely to get it the question then becomes does he support GVT or TMD? Or does he hold out even knowing he will probably lose because of a lack of support outside of Gary? It all becomes especially interesting if the Federal investigations hit any closer to home. Not to be lost in this is Rudy's hand extended to demand more tax dollars from everybody just to keep his failed city afloat a little longer - a real gift horse there for the GOP with Clay as the poster child for the Dems! Razz

For those of us sitting on the sidelines this becomes quite a fun contest to follow given this is the political off season anyway. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Big Unit

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/27/2009, 1:41 pm

McDermott is meeting with the crown point democrats tonight, they actually play a major role in the votes do to there size.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/27/2009, 4:48 pm

I wonder what there feelings are about George Van Til? You would think they have had enough!
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/27/2009, 4:58 pm

Between Clay and Van'til...I'd go for McDermott. The most level-headed among the other two. I wouldn't blame him, and I think he has a much better reputation and voter confidence than Van'Til who isn't qualified for his job educationally, and Clay who plays his own city residents' to beg the state for bailouts.

By the way, did Rudy bring home any money from that inauguration/mayoral meeting...and did you notice Michelle didn't have time to dance with pork-chops?

Rudy's city is being examined by the Feds, no doubt. I've been reading that he is so flattered that they are finally coming into his "city" to examine....what he doesn't know what they are "examining". Sometimes it pays to shoot off letters to the "Distressed Board," to "Please check his cook-books."

I shot a lot of the newspaper articles off, and Rudy is flattered. Amen. Dumb nut.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/27/2009, 8:02 pm

here is the problem. most of the county political elite dont like the idea of a strong chairman. a guy like say stig was...can actually get in their face and tell them no, when they step out of line.

i think all of the politicians know that niether rudy, nor gvt would ever be in a position to lay a hammer down on them. im not saying mcdermott would be in that position, but i think they fear the possibility that mcdermott could become a very strong county leader. and none of the officials want that.

so i dont think many of the officials are going to be supporting mcdermott. the question is, will the committeeman follow their 'orders' from their favorite officials? or will they do what they know is right and vote for someone who could actually lead the away from its continuous back biting of the last few years.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/27/2009, 8:28 pm

I'm confused. The three contendors are George, Tom or Rudy, and what part am I missing here?

If those are the only three contenders, which out of the three are most likely to lead, and what part am I missing?

What part am I misunderstanding here? I'm only used to Illinois politics. and now I'm confused.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/28/2009, 4:18 am

the party officials dont want a leader. they want to be able to follow their own leads, and thus want a weak party chairman. that's why rudy or gvt is still attractive to many of them. they know that either would be feckless as party chair.
Back to top Go down
Big Unit

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/28/2009, 12:30 pm

Update:
Lake station endorsed Van Till
Munster endorsed McDermott
Crown Point endorsed McDermott

Its starting to get intersting kids.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/28/2009, 3:02 pm

crown point will be heavy mcdermott in the end i think. he gets along well with mayor uran and has some strong ties there. highland is likely going to be van till country. ironic, since the son of rick novak, who some claim was backed by mcdermott last year, is their party president. schererville and dyer? i have no idea who wins thier.

to me. the key areas are going to be the non rudy vote in merrillville and extreme south county (south of cp) i dont think niether mcdermott nor van til are very connected in those areas if everything else splits as expected a strong south county/merrillville swing either way could turn the tide.
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/28/2009, 5:15 pm

From what I am hearing, there may be a small group in Hammond pushing for Rudy being led by 3rd district councilman Higgs. Heard something about a get together at Anthony's house soon.

Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/28/2009, 5:44 pm

Please explain to me something about which I don't really understand about being involved as a "Chairman". My understanding from reading the boards and newspapers was that all though Rudy Clay is a mayor in Gary, he was also "Chairman of the Democratic Party". Correct me if I misconceived this role.

Exactly what does the "chairman-ship" mean? I would like to be educated in layman terms of what this position entails. My perception is if it means replacing Rudy, but still holding the office of Mayor, then that was my point.

Rudy, on my radar, is as sick as Blago. Explain to me, please, what this means if Mayor McDermott inherits the role of Chairman. He won't have to give up his mayoral role, right?
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/29/2009, 4:34 am

board monkey wrote:
From what I am hearing, there may be a small group in Hammond pushing for Rudy being led by 3rd district councilman Higgs. Heard something about a get together at Anthony's house soon.

yes. apparently higgs has a letter out reqiring his committeemen to show up at a meeting with rudy. i hope those committeeman know that the hammond democratic party isnt requiring them to show up at any meeting mr. higgs is holding. is anyone really surprised by this?

UrRight wrote:
Please explain to me something about which I don't really understand about being involved as a "Chairman". My understanding from reading the boards and newspapers was that all though Rudy Clay is a mayor in Gary, he was also "Chairman of the Democratic Party". Correct me if I misconceived this role.

this is correct

UrRight wrote:

Exactly what does the "chairman-ship" mean? I would like to be educated in layman terms of what this position entails. My perception is if it means replacing Rudy, but still holding the office of Mayor, then that was my point.

party chair is the chief fundraiser for the county party. he is also in charge of representing the local party statewide and settling internal local party disputes. in the past, chairs like stig used to literally force people out of races warning them that the party would basically cut off a candidates support if they went against his wishes. this led to a much more unified party come primary day. (everyone directed their anger at stig instead of each other) there werent any rough primary fights back in the days of stiglich.

also, unofficially it would be the party chairs job to attempt to unify his party's office holders on various issues effecting the county.

as for rudy his 4 years have been spent mostly focused on himself, and his relationship with the obama camp. he didnt influence primary opponants much at all as far as i can see, and hasnt raised a dime for the party at all. worse, the local party office holders seem to be as unfocused as ever when it comes to various local issues.

the position is not a paid position, however there is an office with a small staff (two part timers i believe) that the county party runs. and the party chair is charged with staffing it.

UrRight wrote:

Rudy, on my radar, is as sick as Blago. Explain to me, please, what this means if Mayor McDermott inherits the role of Chairman. He won't have to give up his mayoral role, right?

i dont think rudy is as far gone as blago...then again i dont know rudy very well.

as for mcdermott. i believe his intentions are to unify the party behind a handfull of issues. number one. quit letting state government walk all over lake county. ie...you want our support for some issue downstate? then you better damn well support our issues up here.

another big issue mcdermott has been complaining about is the party's lack of a consistent fund raising plan in recent years. since the old 2% club has gone away...the party has been struggling with financial issues. mcdermott has a proven track record of being the best fundraiser in the county on the dem side. and he believes he could bring a bunch of new donations to the county party.

also i know the mayor has been disappointed in all of the back fighting in recent years during primaries. i believe his goal would be to eliminate some of the anomosity over some of those elections in the future.
Back to top Go down
Mailman

Mailman

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/29/2009, 10:16 am

Big Unit wrote:
Update:
Lake station endorsed Van Till
Munster endorsed McDermott
Crown Point endorsed McDermott

Its starting to get intersting kids.
Whiting is McDermott and Hobart is McDermott also.
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/29/2009, 12:35 pm

Oracle, it seems Higgs isn't inviting all of the 3rd district committeemen. Just some of them. One I know real well hasn't gotten anything yet from Higgs.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/29/2009, 3:09 pm

lol. i guess that one can consider himself unrequired (sounds like a word higgs would use) to be in attendance? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/29/2009, 6:12 pm

Why would anyone be opposed to Mayor McDermott, vs Van'Til and Rudy vs with their "track records" if it means he (mcDermott can be more influential and credible in getting things done?

I mean, Voter mentioned," why the extra headache?" My thought is if (after Oracle explained it), "Why more heartache?

It won't take away his duties, but would add extra duties that should not really be a burden, right?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty1/31/2009, 6:41 pm

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/1407071,lcdems.article

I guess this answers my questions in a round-about way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty2/2/2009, 10:10 am

I would not want that job if my life depended on it

Having to work with Rudy is the deal breaker Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McDermott running for chairman   McDermott running for chairman Empty

Back to top Go down

McDermott running for chairman
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next