Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Obama Curse?

Go down 
+3
UrRight
Face
sparks
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 9:31 am

I have not heard anyone mention it but I can't hold it in no more. Think about it. I am certain that in the life of this country it's probably been said literally a million times "It will be a cold day before a black man gets sworn in as President." Or words to that affect. And of course they were literally right! Razz It's cold as hell (who thought that one up?) and the US economy is in the toilet and headed down the drain.

Call it coincidence but some people believe in the power to curse. They also believe in the power to bless for that matter. So do your words hold any magical power? Can you be so sure they don't? Could this weather be the result of all those cures words being uttered?

Could the weather ever be a sign from heaven of displeasure of our choices? Again, some think yes while others say no. Still others wouldn't even consider the possibility because it might fly in the face of their beliefs regarding some of those choices. Then again, there are even some on these boards who believe you can be a true Christian and also a practicing, unabashed homosexual or lesbian at the same time.
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 11:05 am

Mirage wrote:
I have not heard anyone mention it but I can't hold it in no more. Think about it. I am certain that in the life of this country it's probably been said literally a million times "It will be a cold day before a black man gets sworn in as President." Or words to that affect. And of course they were literally right! Razz It's cold as hell (who thought that one up?) and the US economy is in the toilet and headed down the drain.

Call it coincidence but some people believe in the power to curse. They also believe in the power to bless for that matter. So do your words hold any magical power? Can you be so sure they don't? Could this weather be the result of all those cures words being uttered?

Could the weather ever be a sign from heaven of displeasure of our choices? Again, some think yes while others say no. Still others wouldn't even consider the possibility because it might fly in the face of their beliefs regarding some of those choices. Then again, there are even some on these boards who believe you can be a true Christian and also a practicing, unabashed homosexual or lesbian at the same time.

Sadly, there is so much more grief to come, and we have brought it on ourselves. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
sparks

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 11:35 am

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080519214407AALQiDW
Illiterate and weak minded people all over the world often are a prey to superstitions.Their lives are ruled and controlled by them. Superstition may be defined as belief in the power of omen, the significance of ceremonial and the existence of supernatural being.
Back to top Go down
Face

Face

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 12:40 pm

Mirage, are you really that concerned about the new and up comming adminstration to continually bring these type of "Biblical references"?
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 12:47 pm

Face wrote:
Mirage, are you really that concerned about the new and up comming adminstration to continually bring these type of "Biblical references"?

I think he is, Face.

I also think we all need to give this new President a chance to take office and see what he can or cannot do. Lets see what he can do during his first 100 days before we start second guessing him.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 1:44 pm

67% or more think Obama will perform above average or better, according to the CNN poll (news) this a.m.

I am willing to wait and not judge. I see already obstacles before him. How he handles them, and the end results...until then, I'll reserve my opinion. I didn't vote for him, but he has instilled this "hope" in many young people, so perhaps he may make a difference.

What concerns me most are these billions of "bail-outs", that when you think about it, most that have already been doled out to the banks, are still crying for more.

Somewhere, I read that this recent release of stimulus money would be enough for every person in the US to receive $5,000.00. That would certainly stimulate the economy, pay off charges, and be a boost. I wish that would really happen. It's our money, and they give it to banks? Banks have sprouted up on every corner in the U.S.

Less banks, and more money back to the people who really need it.

As far as Mirage's statement, there is some "truth" to it. I believe things happen for a reason...
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 3:30 pm

Throughout this great Countrys history we have been blessed with leadership and a populace that has challenged and overcome the crisis of the day.

I have no doubt we will persevere and prosper!
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 4:11 pm

party42 wrote:
Face wrote:

I think he is, Face.

I also think we all need to give this new President a chance to take office and see what he can or cannot do. Lets see what he can do during his first 100 days before we start second guessing him.

I was willing to give him a chance, until he started going back on the CHANGEs he promised he would bring.

I had no problem with Hillary as Sec State, but when other Clinton Era retreads were chosen, CHANGE went away. Where is the grief for him in choosing a guy to head the Treasury Department who didn;t pay his own taxes? If it had been Mccain, the press would be cricifying him for not vetting the candidate, so where is the uproar over Obama not vetting this guy out fully?

He said he wanted Congress to pass a stimulus package that contained no pork, yet look at the bill as it is right now, and of the $800+ Billion, only $68 billion is for the stimulus. The rest is for tax cuts(which he said he would take away), digital converter boxes(which sorry, they had plenty of time to get those already, no need to put more money into it), and billions to universities(which are facing state cuts)
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 4:34 pm

mike3775 wrote:

I had no problem with Hillary as Sec State, but when other Clinton Era retreads were chosen, CHANGE went away. Where is the grief for him in choosing a guy to head the Treasury Department who didn;t pay his own taxes? If it had been Mccain, the press would be cricifying him for not vetting the candidate, so where is the uproar over Obama not vetting this guy out fully?

His not paying taxes was a simple oversight. Timothy Geithner is far and away the most qualified man for the job.
Quote :

He said he wanted Congress to pass a stimulus package that contained no pork, yet look at the bill as it is right now, and of the $800+ Billion, only $68 billion is for the stimulus. The rest is for tax cuts(which he said he would take away), digital converter boxes(which sorry, they had plenty of time to get those already, no need to put more money into it), and billions to universities(which are facing state cuts)

The bulk of the package -- about $550 billion -- would be used to build new schools and highways, invest in energy and health-care projects and provide unemployment and health benefits for out-of-work Americans. The rest would provide tax relief for businesses and individuals. If approved, most workers would get about a $500 tax cut in their paychecks.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/15/AR2009011502054_2.html?hpid=topnews

Mike,from what I can glean there is very little pork in the stimulus....The bill also includes $200 million to refurbish the National Mall, particularly the Tidal Basin walls around the Jefferson Memorial, and another $150 million for a backlog of repairs at the Smithsonian Institution.) from the same link. Maybe if the commerce dept under Bush had done a better job we wouldn't have to revisit it.
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 5:35 pm

Not paying his taxes is an honest mistake?

Come on, I am a simpleton and know if I am self employed or employed the way he was at the time, I am responsible for paying the taxes at the end of the year

What he simply thought his job that paid him what he earned was tax free? Even my 11 yr old son knows that no paycheck is ever tax free.

How many jobs afre going to be created with the national mall pork? 0 thats how many, because the construction compnay chosen to do it will not hire any more people.

And excuse me, but it is not the federal Govt's job to be building schools, thats what the states are for. Remember how the issue recently was how the two big schools in Indiana RAISED RATES because they had state funding cut.

How many new jobs did the new Hobart High School produce? ZERO. Those companies already had enough people

Major moves supposedly created jobs. Yet when 6 different people I know called Reith Riley to see if they had any jobs when they were announced as the winners for the SR 49 resurfacing, they were all told that they are not expecting to hire anyone because they have enough people already

And where in the stimulus package doesit give conditions as part of the job creation? What good is it to create 3 million new jobs if those 3 million new jobs could be gone when the project is completed?

I have a friend who got hired at a job in December and guess what, today she was told not to come in on Monday because her position is gone, and she was hired as a full time employee.

I do not see that stimulus package even creating 1 million jobs as it is.

Sorry that stimulus package needs to be tweaked big time to eliminate the funding for schools and the rest of the pork(like insurance for the unemployed)
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 6:03 pm

You want to create one million jobs? It is very easy. Put huge tariffs on any import that was formerly made in the U.S.A., but is made now in places like China, India, Mexico, etc.
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 8:09 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
You want to create one million jobs? It is very easy. Put huge tariffs on any import that was formerly made in the U.S.A., but is made now in places like China, India, Mexico, etc.

I will add to that, BWG. Ship all the ILLEGALS and their anchor kids back to their home countries, watch crime go down,employment go up, the cost for Welfare go down, and the economy in general go up. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 8:28 pm

mike3775 wrote:

How many jobs afre going to be created with the national mall pork? 0 thats how many, because the construction compnay chosen to do it will not hire any more people.

How do you know that?

Quote :
And excuse me, but it is not the federal Govt's job to be building schools, thats what the states are for. Remember how the issue recently was how the two big schools in Indiana RAISED RATES because they had state funding cut.

How many new jobs did the new Hobart High School produce? ZERO. Those companies already had enough people

Major moves supposedly created jobs. Yet when 6 different people I know called Reith Riley to see if they had any jobs when they were announced as the winners for the SR 49 resurfacing, they were all told that they are not expecting to hire anyone because they have enough people already

It's ridiculous to compare Indiana with the whole country. I'm sure much of that infrastructure will be in places where people will get jobs as a result.

Quote :
And where in the stimulus package doesit give conditions as part of the job creation? What good is it to create 3 million new jobs if those 3 million new jobs could be gone when the project is completed?

Those jobs will start putting money back into the economy where people will buy goods and services.

Quote :
I have a friend who got hired at a job in December and guess what, today she was told not to come in on Monday because her position is gone, and she was hired as a full time employee.

And this one anecdote has exactly what to do with the stimulus package?
Quote :

Sorry that stimulus package needs to be tweaked big time to eliminate the funding for schools and the rest of the pork(like insurance for the unemployed)

Helping the unemployed hardly qualifies as 'pork"
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/16/2009, 8:40 pm

i tried telling the irs i made a mistake once.....

that cost me a 10% fine plus interest

6 years later after they determinded i had underclaimed tips from a waiting job i had when i was a teenager.

i dont think i made more than 40 bucks a night at that job.

yet for 2 months of supposedly underreporting...they charged me 1800 dollars! they didnt give me two years to pay either
Back to top Go down
sparks

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 8:32 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
In other words, tax efficient producers of goods in other countries to subsidize bloated,inefficient producers of goods in this country. Sounds like a great way to promote runaway inflation to me by increasing the price of products. Do you also advocate raises to wages to pay for the huge tax increases tariffs impose in the form of higher prices? Tariffs are a poor way to try to create jobs. Other nations will erect their own tariffs that penalize our exports, costing jobs. A better approach is to change of the the conditions that make our manufacturers inefficient, like lifting the oppressive cost of health care from US businesses.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 8:37 am

sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
In other words, tax efficient producers of goods in other countries to subsidize bloated,inefficient producers of goods in this country. Sounds like a great way to promote runaway inflation to me by increasing the price of products. Do you also advocate raises to wages to pay for the huge tax increases tariffs impose in the form of higher prices? Tariffs are a poor way to try to create jobs. Other nations will erect their own tariffs that penalize our exports, costing jobs. A better approach is to change of the the conditions that make our manufacturers inefficient, like lifting the oppressive cost of health care from US businesses.
Well, then you go right ahead and buy that computer that is made in China. And when you screw it up, then you can talk to a techie from India, that is if you can understand him.

The trade deficit in this country is a joke, and it needs to be fixed.
Back to top Go down
sparks

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 8:44 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Well, then you go right ahead and buy that computer that is made in China. And when you screw it up, then you can talk to a techie from India, that is if you can understand him.

I think everyone can agree on that. We just differ on the solutions to the problem. Tariffs raise the cost of goods to all consumers while only benefiting a small group of workers. Fair,balanced trade can benefit benefit both countries.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 8:53 am

sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:

I think everyone can agree on that. We just differ on the solutions to the problem. Tariffs raise the cost of goods to all consumers while only benefiting a small group of workers. Fair,balanced trade can benefit benefit both countries.
Wrong! You slap a tariff on these companies, and they will be back here negotiating and hiring a labor force quicker than shit. Who else will buy their "Made in China" crap? Not the Chinese! They don't even have a clue as to what they are making, as long as they get their $.25 an hour. As far as I'm concerned Dell, IBM, and the rest of them can go screw themselves.
Back to top Go down
sparks

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 9:07 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:

Wrong! You slap a tariff on these companies, and they will be back here negotiating and hiring a labor force quicker than shit. Who else will buy their "Made in China" crap? Not the Chinese! They don't even have a clue as to what they are making, as long as they get their $.25 an hour. As far as I'm concerned Dell, IBM, and the rest of them can go screw themselves.
Whatever you say,dude. Maybe you could post a link to a single instance where tariffs have lead to a resurgence of any industry in this country.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 9:13 am

sparks wrote:
Whatever you say,dude. Maybe you could post a link to a single instance where tariffs have lead to a resurgence of any industry in this country.
And what would it hurt? Would we be any worse off?
Back to top Go down
sparks

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 9:23 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
And what would it hurt? Would we be any worse off?
Tariffs raise prices for everyone, so they hurt the American consumer. Tariffs have been tried in countless industries, from footwear to textile and they have failed every time. Why waste resources trying to protect jobs that are doomed anyways? Concentrate the country's resources in fields we can can and do compete and that raises the standard of living for everyone who chooses to learn the skills needed.
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 9:26 am

Or force those on welfare to get off their duffs and do those less attractive jobs. At least they'd be earning an income instead of getting it from the gov't.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/17/2009, 9:30 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Or force those on welfare to get off their duffs and do those less attractive jobs. At least they'd be earning an income instead of getting it from the gov't.
Amen, Mama. And don't exclude all of the free labor we house in the prisons.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/18/2009, 3:56 pm

I can remember back in the '70s, where the only manufacturing job for mostly women, produced "Miss Elaine" nightware. This was located in a small town where I used to live, in Missouri.

My aunt worked there. The plant relocated to Mexico back then, because of the cheap labor.

I just want to ask...what do the other companies purchase from us, since we don't have that many manufacturing companies anymore.

I sick of buying clothes made in Taiwan, Japan, Mexico...even appliances...the clothes are made say, a size 6 that actually is a "TWO" here; the shoes are made smaller, and just for an example, I bought a beautiful looking toaster from Aldies that lasted two days. I couldn't return it, because I didn't have the receipt. All products seem so inferior.

Why not slap a huge tariff on imports, and the companies just may wise up and relocate back to the US, and put the people back to work. Why are we allowing other company headquarters here, but they can manufacture items "over there," and make all the money, how does this help our economy when we have no real choices for American products?

I wish someone would explain to me why we can't do something to bring manufacturing jobs once held by Americans' back home. What's it take?

Another question: I understand it was Bill Clinton who signed the Free Trade thing, but what is in it for us? Didn't it destroy our economy? What do the foreign countries buy from us, is what I want to know.

Lastly, ahem, they predicted on CNN that two million more job losts are expected in 2009. With Pres. Obama in place, these construction jobs, etc., seem geared toward already-in-place concrete, construction businesses, and what's there for the women?

How does he plan to stimulate the country with what type of jobs for women...not all women want to be construction workers. So, I don't see anything helping our country until they quit importing.

Mexico has failed us miserably with everything from baby bottles, formula, fruits, vegs., etc. We have enough farmland to produce our own vegetables. Instead, the gov't pays them not to plant. I'm always scratching my head over all this stuff.
Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty1/18/2009, 7:18 pm

Artie how many local construction jobs were created with major moves money?

Very few. The two main construction companies that always bid on major construction projects already have full crews to handle the jobs they bid on.

Now that is probably the same all over the United States. You honestly think the construction company that will bid on the Mall repairs are going to hire more people and those people will still be working for the company in a year? No they won't

His stimulus package promises 3 million new jobs, what good are those jobs if they will be gone when the project is completed? That is the main issue that none of his advisors have talked about, what is the long term health of those 3 million new jobs

Look at this area, the Govt claims a south shore extension will create 26,000 new jobs, most in the construction phase. Well what happens to those people when the job is done? right back to the unemployment line, because construction jobs are spotty, and construction companies already have who they want full time even before the stimulus package is passed, and they bid on projects
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Obama Curse? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Obama Curse?   The Obama Curse? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Obama Curse?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next