Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sparks

Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty
PostSubject: Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM   Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty12/17/2008, 12:00 pm

http://www.post-trib.com/news/opinion/1328847,edit.article
The Post-Tribune had an editorial Sunday about Governor Mitch Daniels and his attacks on the agency designed to protect our air and water.
If you were waiting for further proof that Gov. Mitch Daniels is friendly to industry at the expense of the environment, you need look no further than the two most recent shocking developments.

The first is that the Indiana Department of Environmental Management is closing its office of enforcement.

The second is a new set of policies that narrows the definition of environmental harm -- and investigates only after damage can be proven

The really sad thing about Mitch's foolish attempt to destroy the Indiana Dept. of Environmental Management is that there are very real opportunities for economic developement from the growing green movement. When we have a Governor who is out of touch with the very real threats to our health from pollution in Indiana, I think it is unlikely that Governor Daniels will demand that the state itself moves to lessen it's environmental impact.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM   Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty12/17/2008, 3:36 pm

i have to say i dont understand what the heck he is doing.

the hsd, is still negotiating its basin project with them. they are demanding we built it at a current estimated cost of around 40 million. but if there is no enforcement then why the hell do we even still talk to them?

ok that was sarcasm, but i really dont see why you would have an idem, if there isnt going to be an enforcement arm. its like passing a law and then telling the cops not to enforce it (sorry, not trying to go off on an illegal immigration tangent)

mitch has done some very good things in my opinion. but hes also done some very destructive ones. this move is definately in the destructive category.

im a lifelong repub, who is now a dem because of local issues...but i wouldnt even consider voting for mitch last year after the toll road debacle and how little we got out of the deal up here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM   Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty12/18/2008, 12:00 am

Well to play devil's advocate it's kinda like Freetime's rants about FOIs not getting fulfilled. Of course she usually just sends an email and expects immediate compliance, which is NOT FOI procedure. Still, even if there were an intentional refusal to honor FOI there's not a lot that would happen short of having deep pockets to bring the request to court.

So I suppose the IDEM is just window dressing more or less now but gives the legislature, governor, or courts a bit of leverage if needed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM   Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty12/18/2008, 12:07 am

the oracle wrote:

ok that was sarcasm, but i really dont see why you would have an idem, if there isnt going to be an enforcement arm. its like passing a law and then telling the cops not to enforce it (sorry, not trying to go off on an illegal immigration tangent)

ahem, no child left behind Oracle? A Federally mandated law, and no federal funding for it, left up to the states

This is a big mistake, but honestly, they have been worthless for over a decade now if you think about it
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM   Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty12/18/2008, 4:45 am

yeah thats another good example
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM   Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty12/18/2008, 10:50 am

IDEM was a waste though

They really did not do anything and they allowed things to occur that they should not have, but you also have to remember, by doing so, this area supposedly got better
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM   Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM Empty

Back to top Go down

Mitch Daniels dismantles the Indiana IDEM
Page 1 of 1