Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

COVID-19

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/22/2020, 12:07 pm

COVID-19 Tenor
Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/23/2020, 10:12 am

Heretic wrote:
COVID-19 Tenor

Chin up, Heretic, old chap - perhaps your prayers have been answered.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-opportunity-on-climate-change

Letters to the Editor: The coronavirus offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity on climate change

MARCH 22, 20203 AM
To the editor: For once , there is an unintended consequence that is supremely positive. The economic havoc that coronavirus is visiting on the world has surely reduced greenhouse gas emissions in a way that no coordinated actions by nations could have hoped for. (“Coronavirus has something to teach us about how to save the planet — by staying put,” Opinion, March 14)

We will come out of this pandemic. The world will survive. But the recovery will require sacrifice, and therein lies the second unintended consequence.

We, the citizenry of the world, can tell corporations and governments alike that if they want our participation in this shared sacrifice, then these are our conditions: Sustainability is part of everything we do from now on, and we must engineer and innovate our way out while reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.

Wayne Bass, Mission Viejo
Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/23/2020, 3:29 pm

No worries, folks.
Us Deplorables will keep the country running while all of the really important people continue to do what they do best - sit around and sing Imagine, worry about which bathroom a he/she can use, whine about Trump, encourage anybody and everybody who wants to cross our borders, yell at people who don't recycle, and call us racists.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/24/2020, 10:00 am

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/arizona-man-chloroquine-coronavirus-dead_n_5e7994f4c5b62f90bc506029

Arizona Man Dies After Self-Medicating With Chloroquine In Attempt To Prevent Coronavirus
The man and his wife had taken an aquarium cleaning product after hearing President Trump touting chloroquine as a possible treatment for COVID-19.

https://time.com/5808688/chloroquine-phosphate-coronavirus-death/

Arizona Man Dies After Taking Chemical in Coronavirus Treatment Touted by President Trump

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-in-attempt-to-prevent-virus/2341237/

Man Dies After Self-Medicating With Chloroquine Phosphate to Prevent Coronavirus
The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Donald Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine.

Y'know, it occurs to me that, rather than attempting to implicate Trump in this man's death, it would be much more accurate if the headlines were to read:

Absolute Fucking Moron Dies After Eating Industrial Chemicals

Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/24/2020, 6:27 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/media/christine-pelosi-rand-paul-coronavirus-neighbor-tweet

Christine Pelosi under fire for tweeting 'Rand Paul's neighbor was right' after senator's virus diagnosis

Christine Pelosi, a political strategist and daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., is under fire over a tweet that appears to endorse the 2017 assault of Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., after the lawmaker revealed he tested positive for the coronavirus.
Paul's announcement this past Sunday that he had contracted the virus led some other GOP lawmakers to self-quarantine, including Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah.

"Rand Paul's neighbor was right," Christine Pelosi reacted Sunday evening.
Paul's neighbor, Rene Boucher, was sentenced to 30 days behind bars for assault after he tackled the senator over a yard dispute, resulting in five broken ribs and the removal of part of his lung damaged from the incident.
Christine Pelosi was blasted on social media for the tweet.
"Nancy Pelosi's daughter just endorsed the felony assault against Sen. Rand Paul," The Federalist co-founder Sean Davis wrote.

Another fine example of the cunt not falling far from the cunt tree.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/25/2020, 9:23 am

Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/25/2020, 11:20 am

I have been trying and, I believe, succeeding, in remaining calm and rational in these uncertain times, but if there has ever been a time to panic, it is now.
My God, will this never end?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/03/drag-queen-performance-online-coronavirus-struggle.html

The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Forced Drag to Sashay Online

Can an art form that thrives in live performance survive on livestream?

By Miz Cracker
March 24, 20204:58 PM

The novel coronavirus crisis has forced bars and theaters across the U.S. to close, shuttering with them the stages drag performers call home. But these artists are uniting to keep their community alive in innovative new ways. Using digital platforms from Instagram to Twitch, they are organizing online group shows designed specifically to reach homebound audiences in difficult times.
For some drag performers, these livestreamed spectacles are an essential means of staying in touch with their hard-won fans. But for others, finding work online may make the difference between paying the rent this month—and losing everything.
Speaking as a drag performer myself, it’s hard to overstate the impact of the current pandemic on our industry. In February, a few cautious queens began tweeting about cancellations at local bars, promising to resume their regularly scheduled shows as soon as it seemed safe. Back then, most of us felt that things would get better and that bar life would be back on track within days.

But when World of Wonder, the production company behind RuPaul’s Drag Race, announced the cancellation of DragCon LA two weeks ago, panic rippled out. (Full disclosure: I had made an agreement with WOW to appear at the event.) From performers with local drag brunches to artists and troupes slated for major tours, everyone began to call off their shows. I was personally forced to postpone a two-month tour, leaving me without planned work through at least July. Within days, the global drag calendar was empty.
In a community where even the luckiest often live paycheck to paycheck, this sudden shutdown is having devastating effects. Tina Burner, a New York City drag queen, has gone from one of the most booked queens in town—known for her choice Chelsea digs—to complete unemployment.

“I am making zero dollars. Not making five dollars here, five dollars there. Nothing,” Burner says. “And everyone thinks that because I do nine shows a week that She must have money, she must be doing fine. But I put every dollar I make back into my drag. I’m not prepared for a, you know, pandemic.”
Drag is a zero-margins business that requires constant and extravagant investment for performers struggling to keep their audiences and gigs. For example, while most queens in New York City receive a base pay of $100 to $200 per show, the garments and hair they are expected to wear can easily cost more than $1,000 per look. And that’s not to mention the cost of sets, signage, advertising, or myriad other expenses involved in independently producing a regular show with no financial backing.

As a stopgap, Burner has started producing online editions of her weekly shows, but even these come with their own costs. Streamed from her living room via Instagram Live, they’re complete with specially printed backdrops and paid guest performances by fellow queens.
One of last week’s shows featured a young queen performing in her own bedroom while her mother hopped in and out of the video frame to help with quick costume changes. Everyone got digital tips from Venmo accounts promoted on screen—except mom. The tips didn’t make up for lost gigs, but at least they were something.
“I’m a queen. I have to make content, or I don’t get paid,” Burner says. “[The Trump administration] just announced a stop on mortgages [in certain cases] but what does that do for artists like us? If you’re a bartender, you can apply for unemployment, but we’re on 1099s.”
For Mitch Ferrino, a New York City nightlife promoter, the need to get queens of all kinds working again is very real and very urgent. “Being able to go out and perform live is a queen’s livelihood,” he says. “If you take away their venues, they’re not going to be able to pay their bills, pay for their medication, pay their rent.”

That’s why Ferrino is working with major artists like Peppermint to create a livestreaming show that unites both well-known and rising stars to support performers in need. A “soft run” of the show last Thursday drew 15,000 viewers, but Ferrino’s vision is to build a large enough paying audience for a single streaming show that every participating queen can pull a significant base pay—something that can make a real difference in their finances.
Ultimately, he’d like to offer access to the show for free for viewers in need, but he’d encourage people with stable salaries and the luxury of working from home to donate whatever they can to keep not-so-lucky queens from going bankrupt.
“We have the technology available,” Ferrino says. “Why not keep the revenue flowing?”

For drag queen Biqtch Puddin’ (crowned by Boulet Brothers’ Dragula), this new moment of digital drag is about more than making ends meet—it’s about helping queens hold their heads high through the crisis.
A few weeks ago, Puddin’ was working so hard that she found herself longing for a break, a mental cigarette, as she puts it. But then the outbreak brought everything to a halt and sent her into an emotional tailspin.
“I had this really big gig where all my childhood dreams were coinciding with my drag, and then I got an email message saying the party was canceled,” she told me. “I was like, what are we going to do, digital drag? And my best friend Meg Chase walked out and was like, That’s actually a good idea.”

Soon, Puddin’ and her friends had conceived Digital Drag: An Online Drag Show. The first iteration of the enormous, wonderfully chaotic group show, aired last Friday night on Twitch, drawing over to 27,000 viewers to see kings and queens from across the country—Alaska Thunderfuck, Rock M. Sakura, Vander Von Odd, Landon Cider, and many more.
“It was breaking my heart to see all my friends and people I admire posting their Venmo and PayPal,” Puddin’ told me. “It’s not like we want to do that. We want to perform art.” Her show will allow performers to do just that, working—and werking—just as hard as they normally do for the tips and donations they need.
There’s already a second show in the works, featuring queens like Jinkx Monsoon, Laila McQueen, Evah Destruction, and (full disclosure) me. “Because we don’t know if we’re getting a bailout. As entertainers, we don’t know if we’re going to be a part of that,” Puddin’ says. “Which is ironic because the entertainment industry is entertaining everyone trapped at home.”
Puddin’ raises an interesting point. Millions of Americans trapped by self-isolation and quarantine are using online content as a window into a happier world, and drag queens can certainly be proud to be part of that.

Is it going too far, though, to suggest that drag queens are actually helping people survive out there? And that America owes them for it? After all, it’s not like they’re medical professionals on the front lines—nor are they really even making public service announcements.
But for people like Pete Williams, director of digital at WOW, there is a real pride in creating drag content that eases people’s misery in a time of social distancing, even if the difference they’re making seems small. WOW Presents is scrambling to maintain its schedule of drag-heavy content through the crisis, guided by a belief that people really need it.
“I made a comment to my boss who wanted to do something serious: You know sometimes people just need a conduit to help them forget,” Williams says. “They come to our channel to forget about what’s bothering them for 10–15 minutes. After you laugh, it just changes your mood.”

Williams remarks that there’s no way to tell people that things are going to get better, but there is a way to make them feel better for a moment, to make them feel that people are going to carry on, and provide, as Ferrino puts it, “a distraction from the fact that we’re all stuck in our houses avoiding deep dark depression.”
And for queens, the ability to keep producing is a lifeline in itself. “There’s something inside me that’s always been inside me that if I don’t get it out, it makes me upset,” Burner says. “I know that’s weird, but I believe that I’m here to do that, to make people laugh.”
It’s a surreal moment for the drag community. RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 12 continues to air on VH1, showing drag in a state of heightened excess—meanwhile the season’s cast members are without work, watching episodes from living rooms they likely cannot afford. Though they’ve captivated millions of fans and followers around the globe, drag performers of every kind are struggling. If we can’t find ways to adjust to the times—and audiences and their support with us—the beloved world drag has created may not be there after the pandemic finally fades.

Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/27/2020, 8:53 am

US surpasses China for highest number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in the world

Quote :
Donald Trump again struggled to reassure a fearful nation on Thursday as it emerged the US now has the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the world.

News that America had surpassed virus hotspots China and Italy with 82,404 cases of infection, according to a tracker run by Johns Hopkins University, broke as the president was holding a press conference at the White House.

His instinctive response was to question other countries’ statistics. “It’s a tribute to the amount of testing that we’re doing,” Trump told reporters. “We’re doing tremendous testing, and I’m sure you’re not able to tell what China is testing or not testing. I think that’s a little hard.”

. . .

While the US has increased its testing capacity in recents days the process has been flawed and incoherent, and the country still lags behind leaders such as South Korea in terms of the number of tests administered per-capita.

On a grim day, the death toll in America surpassed 1,000 and it was revealed that last week 3.3 million people filed for unemployment – the biggest single-week jump in history. The president has been widely condemned for failing to act fast enough, misjudging the public mood and seeking to blame others rather than taking personal responsibility.

“It’s nobody’s fault,” Trump said of the jobless figure. “Certainly not in this country. Nobody’s fault. We got very lucky when we made a decision not to allow people in from China on a very early date. I say that because some people don’t want to accept it, but this was a great decision made by our country, or the numbers that you’re talking about – we’re a big country – they’d be far greater, far bigger.”

. . .

Even as New York hospitals become overwhelmed, with doctors complaining of nightmarish conditions, and cases spike in cities such as New Orleans, Trump continued to talk down the threat from the virus. “Many people have it. I just spoke to two people that had it. They never went to a doctor, they didn’t report it ... The people that actually die, that percentage is much lower than I actually thought.”

He added, “The mortality rate, in my opinion, is way down,” even though experts have warned that this is likely to worsen in the coming weeks.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/27/2020, 9:25 am

Anthony Fauci becomes a fringe MAGA target

Quote :
The far-right’s most zealous Trump supporters have set their sights on Dr. Anthony Fauci.

To the vast majority of Republicans, the entire medical community and the country at large, Fauci is the government’s leading infectious disease expert, respected for providing Americans with consistent, factual information about the coronavirus pandemic — even if it means contradicting President Donald Trump while he hovers feet away.

But to a vocal minority of right-wing blogs and pro-Trump pundits, Fauci is the embodiment of the establishment forces that have been arrayed against the president since he came to Washington. And those voices are getting louder amid rumblings about Fauci’s standing with Trump as the president itches to get the economy restarted in the coming weeks.

. . .

Fauci’s portrayal in conservative media circles could play a crucial role in the coming days as the country comes to the end of a 15-day period of social distancing and business closures intended to slow the coronavirus outbreak. While public health officials like Fauci have cautioned that the country will likely have to extend that period, Trump and his team are signaling that they want to get people back to work soon, by mid-April if possible. The cues from right-wing media, as split as they are, could influence how much Trump listens to Fauci.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/27/2020, 8:04 pm

Very Stable Genius wrote:
You can call it a germ. You can call it a flu. You can call it a virus. You can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is.
Back to top Go down
chuckmo48

chuckmo48

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/28/2020, 6:01 pm

Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China.
Feb. 2: “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China.
Feb. 7: “Nothing is easy, but [Chinese President Xi Jinping] … will be successful, especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone.”
Feb. 10: “I think the virus is going to be — it’s going to be fine.”
Feb. 14: “We have a very small number of people in the country, right now, with it. It’s like around 12. Many of them are getting better. Some are fully recovered already. So we’re in very good shape.”
Feb. 19: “I think it’s going to work out fine. I think when we get into April, in the warmer weather, that has a very negative effect on that."
Feb. 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
Feb. 25: “You may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it, and the people that have it are … getting better.
Feb. 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus, including the very early closing of our borders to certain areas of the world.”
Feb. 26: “Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low. … When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done."
Feb. 26:Q: This is spreading — or is going to spread, maybe, within communities. That’s the expectation.
A: It may. It may.
Q: Does that worry you?
A: No. ... No, because we’re ready for it. It is what it is.
Feb. 27: “Only a very small number in U.S., & China numbers look to be going down. All countries working well together!”
Feb. 28: “I think it’s really going well.
Feb. 28: “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
Feb. 29: “We’re the number-one travel destination anywhere in the world, yet we have far fewer cases of the disease than even countries with much less travel or a much smaller population.”
March 4: “Some people will have this at a very light level and won’t even go to a doctor or hospital, and they’ll get better. There are many people like that.”
March 6: “We did an interview on Fox last night, a town hall. I think it was very good. And I said, ‘Calm. You have to be calm. It’ll go away.' ”
March 9: “The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant. Surgeon General, ‘The risk is low to the average American.’ ”
March 10: “And it hit the world. And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”
March 15: “This is a very contagious virus. It’s incredible. But it’s something that we have tremendous control over.”
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/29/2020, 1:20 pm

Desperate for medical equipment, states encounter a beleaguered national stockpile

Quote :
On Feb. 5, with fewer than a dozen confirmed novel coronavirus cases in the United States but tens of thousands around the globe, a shouting match broke out in the White House Situation Room between Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and an Office of Management and Budget official, according to three people aware of the outburst.

Azar had asked OMB that morning for $2 billion to buy respirator masks and other supplies for a depleted federal stockpile of emergency medical equipment, according to individuals familiar with the request, who spoke on the condition of anonymity about internal discussions.

The previously unreported argument turned on the request and on the budget official’s accusation that Azar had improperly lobbied Capitol Hill for money for the repository, which Azar denied, the individuals said.

The $2 billion request from HHS was cut to $500 million when the White House eventually sent Congress a supplemental budget request weeks later. White House budget officials now say the relief package enacted Friday secured $16 billion for the Strategic National Stockpile, more money than HHS had asked for.

. . .

Anecdotally, there are wide differences, and they do not appear to follow discernible political or geographic lines. Democratic-leaning Massachusetts, which has had a serious outbreak in Boston, has received 17 percent of the protective gear it requested, according to state leaders. Maine requested a half-million N95 specialized protective masks and received 25,558 — about 5 percent of what it sought. The shipment delivered to Colorado — 49,000 N95 masks, 115,000 surgical masks and other supplies — would be “enough for only one full day of statewide operations,” Rep. Scott R. Tipton (R-Colo.) told the White House in a letter several days ago.

. . .

Florida has been an exception in its dealings with the stockpile: The state submitted a request on March 11 for 430,000 surgical masks, 180,000 N95 respirators, 82,000 face shields and 238,000 gloves, among other supplies — and received a shipment with everything three days later, according to figures from the state’s Division of Emergency Management. It received an identical shipment on March 23, according to the division, and is awaiting a third.

President Trump repeatedly has warned states not to complain about how much they are receiving, including Friday during a White House briefing, where he advised Vice President Pence not to call governors who are critical of the administration’s response. “I want them to be appreciative,” he said.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/29/2020, 8:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/30/2020, 12:16 pm

Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/30/2020, 4:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/31/2020, 10:59 am

Illinois governor: Federal government sent wrong type of masks

Quote :
Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) on Monday said that his state received the wrong type of medical masks from the federal government in a shipment meant to equip medical professionals responding to the coronavirus pandemic.

"My team is sorting through the shipment of 300,000 N95 masks the White House personally told me would be sent to our state, and while we do not have a final count on this yet, I can say with certainty that what they sent were not the N95 masks that were promised but instead were surgical masks, which is not what we asked for," he said at a press conference, according to CNN, which noted that doctors wear the N95 masks when interacting with infected patients.

Pritzker added the he couldn’t “emphasize enough how much we need the federal government to step up and amplify the size of their PPE [personal protective equipment] deliveries to Illinois and, frankly, across the nation.”

The price of not kissing the Emperor's ring. Don't worry, though.  The people this kills aren't fetuses, so Republicans can still pretend to be prolife.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty3/31/2020, 4:13 pm

Study: COVID-19 Impacts Men, Women More Than All Other Genders Combined

March 26th, 2020

BALTIMORE, MD—A new study by Johns Hopkins University found that the novel coronavirus is impacting men and women more than all the other genders combined.
According to the study, 100% of coronavirus cases have affected men and women and not a single other gender.
"It's incredible - we've found this virus is far more likely to affect biological males and biological females than any other biological gender," said Head of Gender Research Dr. Benji Charmin. "We thought the data had to be flawed, but we checked again and again, and sure enough, this thing is aggressively going after men and women and ignoring the other genders entirely."
He shrugged. "It's just science."
Progressives quickly applauded the virus for not attacking any of the other genders and only focusing on traditional, outdated, binary genders.
……...
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/1/2020, 9:09 am

Trump's alarming message portends tragic days ahead

Quote :
President Donald Trump finally leveled with America about the desperate reality of the coronavirus pandemic, warning of cruel weeks to come in one of the most chilling White House moments in modern history.

Even with blanket nationwide adoption of stringent mitigation efforts, between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could face death in the coming weeks in a cascading nationwide ordeal, according to modeling explained by senior members of the President's emergency task force Tuesday.

. . .

The stark spectacle of a president, especially one who spent weeks dismissing the virus, warning of the imminent demise of so many Americans encapsulated the scale of the crisis.

"I want every American to be prepared for the hard days that lie ahead. We're going to go through a very tough two weeks," the President said in the White House briefing room.

Trump's briefing mostly lacked the elements of self-congratulation and false hope that have characterized his heavily criticized leadership in the crisis.

So we're looking at somewhere between 33 to 80 9/11s, for perspective, and that's with "blanket nationwide adoption of stringent mitigation efforts." That seems unlikely, so expect even higher.

COVID-19 Tenor

We'll all know someone that's died from this by the end of it, if you don't already.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/1/2020, 3:50 pm

Heretic wrote:
Trump's alarming message portends tragic days ahead

Quote :
President Donald Trump finally leveled with America about the desperate reality of the coronavirus pandemic, warning of cruel weeks to come in one of the most chilling White House moments in modern history.

Even with blanket nationwide adoption of stringent mitigation efforts, between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could face death in the coming weeks in a cascading nationwide ordeal, according to modeling explained by senior members of the President's emergency task force Tuesday.

. . .

The stark spectacle of a president, especially one who spent weeks dismissing the virus, warning of the imminent demise of so many Americans encapsulated the scale of the crisis.

"I want every American to be prepared for the hard days that lie ahead. We're going to go through a very tough two weeks," the President said in the White House briefing room.

Trump's briefing mostly lacked the elements of self-congratulation and false hope that have characterized his heavily criticized leadership in the crisis.

So we're looking at somewhere between 33 to 80 9/11s, for perspective, and that's with "blanket nationwide adoption of stringent mitigation efforts." That seems unlikely, so expect even higher.

COVID-19 Tenor

We'll all know someone that's died from this by the end of it, if you don't already.

As of yet, we don't personally know anyone who has tested positive, much less died, but I agree that it's only a matter of time until we do.
How about you?
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/2/2020, 3:25 am

COVID-19 Untitl11

Quote :
The top White House official responsible for leading the U.S. response in the event of a deadly pandemic has left the administration, and the global health security team he oversaw has been disbanded under a reorganization by national security adviser John Bolton.

The abrupt departure of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer from the National Security Council means no senior administration official is now focused solely on global health security. Ziemer’s departure, along with the breakup of his team, comes at a time when many experts say the country is already underprepared for the increasing risks of a pandemic or bioterrorism attack.

Ziemer’s last day was Tuesday, the same day a new Ebola outbreak was declared in Congo. He is not being replaced.

Pandemic preparedness and global health security are issues that require government-wide responses, experts say, as well as the leadership of a high-ranking official within the White House who is assigned only this role.

“Health security is very fragmented, with many different agencies,” said J. Stephen Morrison, senior vice president at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. “It means coordination and direction from the White House is terribly important. ”

The personnel changes, which Morrison and others characterize as a downgrading of global health security, are part of Bolton’s previously announced plans to streamline the NSC. Two members of Ziemer's team have been merged into a unit in charge of weapons of mass destruction, and another official's position is now part of a unit responsible for international organizations. White House homeland security adviser Tom Bossert, who had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks, is out completely. He left the day after Bolton took over last month.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/2/2020, 5:12 pm

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/armchair-quarterbacks-try-to-rewrite-history-on-coronavirus/?utm_source=recirc-desktop&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=river&utm_content=featured-content-trending&utm_term=first

Armchair Quarterbacks Try to Rewrite History on Coronavirus

By David Harsanyi

April 1, 2020 1:04 PM

COVID-19 caught lots of people in America by surprise. We shouldn’t pretend otherwise for cynical political gain.

This morning, MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough claimed that, unlike the Trump administration, “Everybody saw this coming in early January.”
If Scarborough knew that a deadly, once-in-a-century pandemic was about to descend on the nation in early January — I assume he considers himself part of “everyone” — why on God’s earth didn’t he warn his susceptible viewers that they should begin social distancing? Why didn’t his producers book a single expert who could beseech his viewers to start wearing masks, to shutter their non-essential businesses, and to avoid church and sporting events? Why didn’t he mention coronavirus at all? Even in late January, nearly a full month after “everyone knew,” Scarborough’s show was dominated by the Donald Trump impeachment trial.

As far as I can tell, in the entire month of January, Morning Joe didn’t reference the coronavirus once to his 2.6 million followers on Twitter. Imagine the thousands of lives Scarborough could have saved if he had only shared his insight.
Does “everyone” include the World Health Organization, which claimed in a January 14 tweet (reflecting earlier findings) that preliminary investigations into Chinese authorities found “no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus”?
Does “everyone” include the Chinese government — whose propaganda Scarborough shares as reliable data? Because it was China’s downplaying and lying about coronavirus that ensured its spread around the world. The blood is on their hands, not on the hands of your least favorite American politicians.

In early March, when reporters were fixated on a vacuous debate over the political correctness of affixing “China” to the virus’s name, researchers at the University of Southampton released a study indicating that 95 percent of COVD-19 cases would have been prevented around the world if the Communist regime had acted three weeks earlier. If China had intervened just one week earlier, there would have been an 66 percent mitigation, while two weeks would have led to 86 percent fewer cases.

Scarborough, like most of us, was busy talking about the impeachment trial in early January. And that’s exactly the topic we should have been focusing on. We had no business expecting our elected officials or our media outlets to obsess over every outbreak in China. No doubt I’m older than many of you, but I can recall warnings about perhaps a dozen potentially dangerous epidemic breakouts around the world, and none of them ever materialized in a legitimately scary way for us. It’s human nature to assume similar outcomes. And if China had acted like a first-world nation, coronavirus would have been contained.
Even if Scarborough had warned us, what would the public have done differently in early January, before a single confirmed case in the United States? When Trump “did something” in late January and restricted travel to China, I don’t recall a single mainstream pundit applauding him for taking the virus seriously. (In fact, the opposite happened.)

And even if we had “listened to the scientists,” the United States wouldn’t have been able to avert the coronavirus. Expert predictions were all over the place, and very few researchers or scientists came close to calling the spread correctly. But now we’re going to act as if politicians were negligent for failing to try to lock down the entire economy in early January? In mid March, you could hardly get people off beach in Florida, but you think the American public was going to consent to deep-freeze the economy and shut down the NFL in January? To say such things is just armchair quarterbacking of the most cynical kind.
Major media outlets, incidentally, ran plenty of their own stories in January and February tempering fears over coronavirus. And that’s okay, too. As I’ve argued elsewhere, it’s impossible to be on a perpetual war footing, organizing and planning for every known emergency and eventuality at all times. Of course there is great room for improvement. Of course we should have more flexibility to produce ventilators or other emergency equipment. But it’s unrealistic for the public to expect there is any policy proposal or political leader that can immunize us from disasters such as this one.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1245313313715650560

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/29/de-blasio-coronavirus-trump-response/

De Blasio, NYC Officials Downplayed COVID-19 Threat After Trump Restricted Travel To China. Here Are 5 Examples

Mayor Bill de Blasio and his health top official repeatedly downplayed the coronavirus threat while imploring citizens to get on with their lives.
They spent two months suggesting New York citizens attend parades and visit movie theatres after the Trump administration imposed restrictions on travel to China.
The mayor’s office says de Blasio has put been on top of the problem at the get-go and that it’s “inaccurate” to suggest the mayor dismissed the pandemic.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and his top health official were telling citizens to take the subway and attend parades months after President Donald Trump restricted travel to coronavirus-plagued China.
De Blasio and New York City Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot took turns telling citizens in February and March that the virus was not as widespread as people thought. Data now show that the city is becoming the epicenter for the coronavirus, which has killed 883 New Yorkers.

De Blasio is getting some pushback. CNN’s Jake Tapper, for instance, asked the Democrat on Sunday if his unwillingness to publicly request New Yorkers pull back from New York’s nightlife is partly to “blame for how rapidly the virus has spread across the city?”
City officials were working with the information they had at the time, de Blasio responded, adding: “This was a very different world just a short time ago.” The New York mayor has spent weeks railing against what he believes is the president’s poor response to the virus.
“Here’s reality: This is a war-like situation,” de Blasio said in a March 14 interview with MSNBC’s Joy Reid. “We’re in a wartime scenario with a Mar-a-Lago attitude being used by the federal government,” he added, referencing Trump’s resort in Florida.
Here are five times de Blasio and Barbot downplayed the virus after the president announced in January restrictions on foreign nationals who have recently been to China from entering the U.S.

Barbot Tells Citizens Not To Miss Out On A Parade
“There is no reason not to take the subway, not to take the bus, not to go out to your favorite restaurant, and certainly not to miss the parade next Sunday.” Barbot said during a Feb. 2 press conference addressing the pandemic.
Barbot was referring to a New York Chinatown parade, which celebrates China’s New Year and took place on Feb. 9. Barbot appeared to suggest Trump’s travel restrictions were racist in Feb. 2 tweet to her followers.
“I want to be clear, this is about a virus, not a group of people. There is NO excuse for anyone to discriminate or stigmatize people of Asian heritage. We are here today to urge all New Yorkers to continue to live their lives as usual,” she said.

Barbot Suggests The Risks Are Minimal
Barbot argued in a local TV interview on Feb. 7 that the city is “telling New Yorkers, go about your lives, take the subway, go out, enjoy life.” She did say that citizens must practice good hygiene, but suggested the biggest threat comes from family members and not large packs of people.
“And so we know that this virus can be transmitted from one individual to another, but that it’s typically people who live together,” she said during the interview. “That there’s no risk at this point in time — we’re always learning more — about having it be transmitted in casual contact, right?”

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended on March 15 that U.S. citizens inside the country not hold events with 50 or more people for the next eight weeks out of an abundance of caution. CDC suggested avoiding any large conferences, festivals or parades.

De Blasio Says New Yorkers Under 50 Years Old Are Safe
De Blasio followed suit three days after Barbot’s Feb. 7 comments. (RELATED: FLASHBACK To March 3: De Blasio Asks New Yorkers To Ignore Coronavirus, Get On With Their Lives)
“We want to encourage” New Yorkers going out, the mayor said during a Feb. 10 MSNBC broadcast.
“If you’re under 50 & you’re healthy, which is most NYers, there’s very little threat here. This disease, even if you were to get it, basically acts like a common cold or flu. And transmission is not that easy,” de Blasio said at the time.

De Blasio Suggests New Yorkers Visit Movie Theaters During Pandemic
“Since I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus,” de Blasio told his Twitter followers on March 3, no more than two weeks before likening the outbreak to a type of World War that required nationalizing industries.
He offered some suggestions for what New Yorkers should do instead of social distancing. “I thought I would offer some suggestions. Here’s the first: thru Thurs 3/5 go see ‘The Traitor,'” de Blasio said, referring to a 2019 crime drama about the life and times of a Mafia mob boss.

“The Facts Are Reassuring,” De Blasio Says On March 2
‘The facts are reassuring,” the New York mayor said during a March 2 press conference alongside New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
De Blasio added: “We have a lot of information now, information that is actually showing us things that should give us more reason to stay calm and go about our lives” normally.
The mayor’s office is pushing back against suggestions that de Blasio downplayed the problem.
“No one is taking this more seriously than our mayor and the people of this city. It’s inaccurate to suggest otherwise,” Freddi Goldstein, a spokesman in de Blasio’s office, told the Daily Caller News Foundation.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/politics/bill-de-blasio-says-there-isnt-time-to-focus-on-coronavirus-prevention-missteps/ar-BB11Sasm

...……

Now that it's become clear New York was unable to evade the virus, de Blasio argues "none of us have time to look backward." He said the only thing that should be on people's minds is how to get through the next week.

Tapper, though, pointed out that de Blasio himself has criticized President Trump for being behind the coronavirus curve, to which the mayor replied he was early in complaining about a lack of testing. But he also suggested now wasn't the moment to talk about that, either. "The time to deal with these questions is after this war is over," he said.

Bill de Blasio is asked on CNN about comments he made as recently as two weeks ago urging New Yorkers to "go about their lives."

De Blasio responded, "we should not be focusing, in my view, on anything looking back on any level of government right now."

………

Asswipe.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/new-york-city-is-the-new-coronavirus-epicenter-with-one-third-of-all-us-cases-mayor-de-blasio-says.html

New York City is the new coronavirus epicenter with one-third of all US cases, Mayor de Blasio says

https://www.dailywire.com/news/bill-de-blasio-says-he-will-monitor-christian-charity-helping-with-coronavirus-response-after-leftists-complain-about-discrimination

Bill De Blasio Says He Will Monitor Christian Charity Helping With Coronavirus Response After Leftists Complain About ‘Discrimination’

By  Emily Zanotti

New York City mayor Bill de Blasio has reassured panicked progressives that he will be monitoring Samaritan’s Purse, an evangelical Christian organization constructing a field hospital to help treat coronavirus victims in Manhattan, for signs of “discrimination” after leftists on social media noticed that the Franklin Graham-led organization opposes gay marriage.
Samaritan’s Purse, which is a global relief organization, has volunteered its time to assist New York City’s healthcare workers, constructing a 60-bed assistance center in Central Park. The organization, like many Christian relief organizations, opposes abortion and gay marriage on Biblical grounds, and largely requires those working for it to ascribe to its foundational beliefs, leaving some NYC leftists “very concerned.”
“Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city will keep a close eye on the Christian fundamentalist group operating a field hospital in Central Park, amid growing fears that some New Yorkers could face discrimination and substandard care from the religious organization,” NYC blog Gothamist reported earlier this week.
Jonathan Merritt, a “contributing writer” to the Atlantic, catalogued his terror at Samaritan’s Purse being tapped to handle at least some aspects of New York City’s coronavirus response in The Daily Beast, adding that such efforts “blur[] the lines between church and state,” and could lead to violence against LGBT individuals.
The concerns eventually reached De Blasio who has reassured New Yorkers living in fear of evangelicals that city resources, already stretched thin, will be dispatched to “monitor” the situation at the tent city in Central Park, according to the New York Post.
“I said immediately to my team that we had to find out exactly what was happening,” de Blasio said in a press conference. “Was there going to be an approach that was truly consistent with the values and the laws in New York City, that everyone would be served and served equally?”
“We’ve received those assurances from the organization,” de Blasio said, clearly skeptical. “I spoke earlier today with the CEO of the Mount Sinai system, Dr. Ken Davis, who was adamant that they will only continue their relationship with the organization if those rules are followed, that they have a written agreement, that there’s going to be no discrimination whatsoever.”
“We’re going to send people over from the Mayor’s Office to monitor,” de Blasio concluded. “I am very concerned that this is done right. But if it is done right, we need all the help we can get.”
A number of New York City councilmen also noted that they would be checking in Samaritan’s Purse and may also send aides to monitor the situation on the ground in Central Park.
New York City is the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States, and the organization partnering with Samaritan’s Purse, Mount Sinai, is one of the hardest hit healthcare systems in the country.
“In order to meet the needs of the coming surge, we must work as a united front in order save as many lives as possible. We are grateful for the collaboration with Samaritan’s Purse who have come to the aid of the people of Italy and now New York. Through this partnership, we are leveraging our collective resources to care for our patients and community,” the hospital system said in a statement earlier this week.

Shitstain.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/4/2020, 12:00 pm

Dr. Fauci Says We Need a Nationwide Lockdown and We Need It Now

Quote :
There should be a national stay-at-home order to combat the spread of the coronavirus, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of the Trump administration’s coronavirus task force, on Thursday night, adding: “I don’t understand why that’s not happening.”

Fauci made the recommendation during an interview on CNN, and hours later location data published by Google backed up his claim that the state-by-state patchwork of restrictions currently in place is leading to a huge disparity in how effectively social distancing is being implemented across the country.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/4/2020, 12:02 pm

US edits National Stockpile website after Kushner claims it’s not for states

Quote :
The Trump administration changed the Strategic National Stockpile website's description of the program yesterday after White House adviser Jared Kushner falsely claimed that the medical-supply stockpile is not meant to be used to help states. The description was changed to minimize the stockpile's role in helping states through crises like the current pandemic, but other portions of the official website still make it clear that Kushner was wrong.

Kushner acknowledged that the federal government is giving ventilators and other equipment to states, even though he argued that the stockpile isn't meant to be used by states. But the Strategic National Stockpile website homepage, maintained by the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), previously made it clear that the stockpile is for the entire country.

If the goal was to completely remove all traces of the stockpile's role in helping states, the effort was not thorough enough. An "About the Stockpile" link on the homepage still leads to a fuller description that says it is supposed to "resupply state and local public health agencies in a catastrophic health event."
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/4/2020, 12:17 pm

Trump’s wobbly coronavirus response leaves Pentagon playing catch-up

Quote :
The Pentagon and the White House, in the weeks leading up to the president’s national emergency declaration on Friday, quarreled over the response to the coronavirus outbreak that was sweeping the country.

Defense Department leaders urged measures such as restricting troop travel in order to contain the virus. But other administration officials pushed back, arguing against any “rash” steps that could have political ramifications and economic impact, defense officials told POLITICO.

It wasn't until President Donald Trump declared a national emergency on March 13 that leaders began to coalesce around a strategy. Trump’s comments served as a “green light” for DoD leaders to take more aggressive steps such as providing medical equipment, putting field hospitals on alert and making preparations to dispatch the military’s twin hospital ships to virus hotspots, said the defense official.

“We’re muddling through,” one defense official said.

Absent clear direction from the White House, the Pentagon’s initial internal response to the crisis, was ad hoc. In recent days, officials have scrambled to prepare the Navy's hospital ships, USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy, to help relieve pressure on civilian hospitals, defense officials said. Despite Trump’s assertion that the ships are “in tip-top shape,” the Comfort, homeported in Norfolk, Va., has been in pierside maintenance since December after returning from a five-month deployment and will not get underway until April 2. Meanwhile the Mercy, based out of San Diego, will be able to launch to its West Coast destination, either in California or Washington State, on Monday.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty4/4/2020, 12:21 pm

U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic

Quote :
At a White House briefing Friday, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said officials had been alerted to the initial reports of the virus by discussions that the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had with Chinese colleagues on Jan. 3.

The warnings from U.S. intelligence agencies increased in volume toward the end of January and into early February, said officials familiar with the reports. By then, a majority of the intelligence reporting included in daily briefing papers and digests from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the CIA was about covid-19, said officials who have read the reports.

. . .

Inside the White House, Trump’s advisers struggled to get him to take the virus seriously, according to multiple officials with knowledge of meetings among those advisers and with the president.

Azar couldn’t get through to Trump to speak with him about the virus until Jan. 18, according to two senior administration officials. When he reached Trump by phone, the president interjected to ask about vaping and when flavored vaping products would be back on the market, the senior administration officials said.

On Jan. 27, White House aides huddled with then-acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney in his office, trying to get senior officials to pay more attention to the virus, according to people briefed on the meeting. Joe Grogan, the head of the White House Domestic Policy Council, argued that the administration needed to take the virus seriously or it could cost the president his reelection, and that dealing with the virus was likely to dominate life in the United States for many months.

Mulvaney then began convening more regular meetings. In early briefings, however, officials said Trump was dismissive because he did not believe that the virus had spread widely throughout the United States.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

COVID-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COVID-19   COVID-19 Empty

Back to top Go down

COVID-19
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: