Let Freedom Reign!


 
HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Cowboy Poets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 1:50 am

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0311/Reid_Save_federal_funding_for_the_cowboy_poets.html

March 08, 2011

Reid: Save federal funding for the cowboy poets!

File this under: Did Harry Reid just say that?
In the middle of his tirade against House Republicans' "mean-spirited" budget bill on the Senate floor Tuesday, the Senate Majority Leader lamented that the GOP’s proposed budget cuts would eliminate the annual "cowboy poetry festival” in his home state of Nevada.

Reid clearly has a soft spot for the Baxter Blacks of the poetry world and thinks Republicans don't.
“The mean-spirited bill, H.R. 1 … eliminates the National Endowment of the Humanities, National Endowment of the Arts,” said Reid. “These programs create jobs. The National Endowment of the Humanities is the reason we have in northern Nevada every January a cowboy poetry festival. Had that program not been around, the tens of thousands of people who come there every year would not exist.”






That’s a pretty good trick, Harry. The National Endowment of the Humanities not only creates jobs, but it creates people, too.
That is one hell of a federal program, if I do say so myself.
It's kind of touching that the federal government helps the boys from Brokeback Mountain write love poems to each other, but I could probably think of a few other things on which the money would be better spent.

Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9360

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 8:18 am

Thousands of people travel to Elko,NV to attend this. They spend money there by patronizing businesses and lodging facilities. How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?
Back to top Go down
chuckmo48

avatar

Posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 8:50 am

What is so shocking..Repubs have no use for the arts, music, child care, or any humane endeavor...
Among other things:
- Cut off any assistance to low income children, including Head Start, child nutrition, and other programs for homeless children
- Republicans tried to end unemployment compensation.
- Republicans did everything possible to prevent any health care reform
- Republicans wanted to prevent any reform of the Wall Street
- Record budget deficits, record corporate profits, and record bonuses to the bankers, Republicans want to give their billionaire buddies a tax cut
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 10:37 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Thousands of people travel to Elko,NV to attend this. They spend money there by patronizing businesses and lodging facilities. How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?
If the festival is so damned successful and such a major attraction, it will easily thrive on its own merits.
If the festival is so damned successful and such a major attraction, people will still be willing and able to patronize the local businesses and lodging facilities.
If the festival is so damned successful and such a major attraction, the guy with the Stetson, chaps, and spurs will still be able to read you his poems.
Just don't make me pay for it.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 11:22 am

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NPR_TEA_PARTY_CRITICISM?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-09-10-55-50
Mar 9, 11:32 AM EST

NPR chief executive quits over hidden camera video

By BEN NUCKOLS
Associated Press


WASHINGTON (AP) -- NPR president and CEO Vivian Schiller resigned Wednesday in the wake of comments by a fellow executive that angered conservatives and renewed calls to end federal funding for public broadcasting.
The chairman of NPR's board of directors announced that he has accepted Schiller's resignation, effective immediately. Schiller wouldn't say whether she offered to quit or was forced out.
On Tuesday, conservative activist James O'Keefe posted a hidden-camera video in which NPR executive Ron Schiller bashed the tea party movement as "racist" and "xenophobic" and said NPR would be better off without federal funding. Ron Schiller is not related to Vivian Schiller.
Vivian Schiller told The Associated Press that her fellow executive's comments were outrageous and unfortunate at a critical time for NPR, which is fighting to keep congressional funding.
"It is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding," Ron Schiller said in the video, saying it would allow the organization to become an independent voice and clear up the misconception that it is largely government-funded.


Brainstorm!!!
Since NPR no longer needs federal funds, they can take their allotment of my money and give it to Harry Reid so that his pals can continue to seduce their pardners and their horses with beautiful poetry.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9360

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 11:26 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Thousands of people travel to Elko,NV to attend this. They spend money there by patronizing businesses and lodging facilities. How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?
If the festival is so damned successful and such a major attraction, it will easily thrive on its own merits.
If the festival is so damned successful and such a major attraction, people will still be willing and able to patronize the local businesses and lodging facilities.
If the festival is so damned successful and such a major attraction, the guy with the Stetson, chaps, and spurs will still be able to read you his poems.
Just don't make me pay for it.
How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding? How many jobs will be lost if they cut the funding and the event does not take place? Please stay on topic and refrain from posting stuff about NPR. :thanks:
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 11:49 am

Artie60438 wrote:

How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?
No idea.


Artie60438 wrote:
How many jobs will be lost if they cut the funding and the event does not take place?
If the event is as successful and crucial to the local economy as Harry Reid claims it to be, there is no reason that the event should not take place, whether or not they get federal funds. The local proprietors should welcome the festival with open arms, do what they can to promote it, and perhaps even contribute, resource-wise, to ensure its success, as it would be in their best interest to do so. Federal funds are unnecessary.
So, to answer your question, no jobs should be lost.







Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 11:57 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Please stay on topic and refrain from posting stuff about NPR. :thanks:
Oh, I'm right on topic.
You seemed to be worried that cowboys wearing buttless chaps would no longer be able to serenade you with their poetry unless they received federal funding, and I offered you an equitable solution.
How cool is that?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9360

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 12:12 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Please stay on topic and refrain from posting stuff about NPR. :thanks:
Oh, I'm right on topic.
You seemed to be worried that cowboys wearing buttless chaps would no longer be able to serenade you with their poetry unless they received federal funding, and I offered you an equitable solution.
How cool is that?

What does "NPR chief executive quits over hidden camera video" have to do with the topic of Cowboy Poets?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 12:25 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

What does "NPR chief executive quits over hidden camera video" have to do with the topic of Cowboy Poets?

In and of itself, nothing. But if you had bothered to read the entire post, you would have seen this, ...


"It is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding," Ron Schiller said in the video,...


... which dovetails quite neatly with the topic at hand, which happens to concern the stupidest possible uses for federal funds.
See what you can learn if you pay attention?

Back to top Go down
chuckmo48

avatar

Posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 12:32 pm

happy jack wrote:
Just don't make me pay for it.[/b]
We all are paying for the tax cuts for the wealthiest...you do not seem to mind that...by the way still waiting for all the jobs that was going to create....
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9360

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 1:49 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

What does "NPR chief executive quits over hidden camera video" have to do with the topic of Cowboy Poets?

In and of itself, nothing. But if you had bothered to read the entire post, you would have seen this, ...


"It is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding," Ron Schiller said in the video,...


... which dovetails quite neatly with the topic at hand, which happens to concern the stupidest possible uses for federal funds.
See what you can learn if you pay attention?

NPR and a festival in NV have nothing to do with each other,nor does a statement made by someone at NPR. Keep trolling.
Back to top Go down
UrRight



Posts : 3993

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 2:03 pm

It is all hogwash.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

avatar

Posts : 1887

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 5:29 pm

As long as we're discussing Harry Reid, I want to take this opportunity to say that it's way past time for the Democrats to elect a new Senate Majority Leader. Personally, I'd much rather see Schumer or Durbin running the show in the Senate. Ya know, I like Harry, and his gaffes are actually kind of funny, but that's really not what the Senate Democrats need right now.

Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/9/2011, 10:46 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

What does "NPR chief executive quits over hidden camera video" have to do with the topic of Cowboy Poets?

In and of itself, nothing. But if you had bothered to read the entire post, you would have seen this, ...


"It is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding," Ron Schiller said in the video,...


... which dovetails quite neatly with the topic at hand, which happens to concern the stupidest possible uses for federal funds.
See what you can learn if you pay attention?

NPR and a festival in NV have nothing to do with each other,nor does a statement made by someone at NPR. Keep trolling.
Fine, Artie, I admit it - I went sufficiently off-topic to confuse the easily-confused, so do what you do best - snitch me out to the moderator.
Back to top Go down
Passion

avatar

Posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 3:32 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Thousands of people travel to Elko,NV to attend this. They spend money there by patronizing businesses and lodging facilities. How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?

So what makes this a Federal issue? Nothing. Can there be anything that is more contrary to the cowboy way of life than taking money from the government?

If local business owners feel this is so vital to their local economy let them pony up or hold a benefit. Maybe even a cowboy cookoff. But please don't be shining us on about a need for Federal taxpayers to subsidize one city's local tourism.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9360

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 7:39 am

Passion wrote:

So what makes this a Federal issue? Nothing. Can there be anything that is more contrary to the cowboy way of life than taking money from the government?

If local business owners feel this is so vital to their local economy let them pony up or hold a benefit. Maybe even a cowboy cookoff. But please don't be shining us on about a need for Federal taxpayers to subsidize one city's local tourism.
It's not just this festival. It's about cutting the National Endowment for the Humanities which is an agency of the U.S. government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities. No jobs will be created as a result of defunding them and many will be lost.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 9:53 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:


In and of itself, nothing. But if you had bothered to read the entire post, you would have seen this, ...


"It is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding," Ron Schiller said in the video,...


... which dovetails quite neatly with the topic at hand, which happens to concern the stupidest possible uses for federal funds.
See what you can learn if you pay attention?

NPR and a festival in NV have nothing to do with each other,nor does a statement made by someone at NPR. Keep trolling.
Fine, Artie, I admit it - I went sufficiently off-topic to confuse the easily-confused, so do what you do best - snitch me out to the moderator.
Artie:
The Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, etc., do a wonderful job of temporarily stimulating local economies, and such events would do so with or without federal funding. Obviously, you are quite adamant about having the taxpayers subsidize your desire to see a large group of men in chaps gathered in one convenient and centralized location, but I really think that such an event is best left to sink or swim on its own merits.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 10:58 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Passion wrote:

So what makes this a Federal issue? Nothing. Can there be anything that is more contrary to the cowboy way of life than taking money from the government?

If local business owners feel this is so vital to their local economy let them pony up or hold a benefit. Maybe even a cowboy cookoff. But please don't be shining us on about a need for Federal taxpayers to subsidize one city's local tourism.
It's not just this festival. It's about cutting the National Endowment for the Humanities which is an agency of the U.S. government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities. No jobs will be created as a result of defunding them and many will be lost.

I see that you possess such an in-depth insight into the inner workings of the NEH that you were able to quote verbatim from the very first search result that pops up when you type in ‘National Endowment for the Humanities’.
Is all of your research this thorough?


http://www.ask.com/web?q=National+Endowment+for+the+Humanities+&search=&qsrc=0&o=16794S&l=dis
The National Endowment for the Humanities
Mar 2, 2011 ... Agency of the U.S. government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities.
www.neh.gov/
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 11:59 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Cubs want weekend festivals around Wrigley during Yankees, Cardinals, White Sox series
Quote :
The Chicago Cubs want to stage weekend festivals on Sheffield Avenue during three popular series this summer, a team official said today.
The idea is to close Sheffield from Addison Street to Waveland Avenue on the east side of Wrigley Field for most of the day from Friday through Sunday on three weekends in June, July and August when the Cubs face the New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox and St. Louis Cardinals, said Wally Hayward, chief of sales and marketing for the club.

Tickets would not be needed to get into the area, where family entertainment, food and drink would be offered,
Are they out of their freakin mind? A free warm weather festival populated by fans of opposing teams that hate each other (Sox & Cards) and lots and lots of booze. What could possibly go wrong? Rolling Eyes

Artie60438 wrote:
UrRight wrote:
I look at it as having fun and freedom. What's wrong with having fun?
Nothing,but when you have a significant amount of people who hate the opposing team liquored up on a hot day in a somewhat small area that's a recipe for disaster,IMO. A close game ending on controversial call in the 9th inning,fans start to taunt each other....and :dyno:




You didn't seem to have these concerns when you came all-out in favor of the Cowboy Poetry Festival, did you?
I mean, one cowboy decides to go with a mixture of trochaic and iambic meter, while another takes issue with that because he is partial to anapestic. He challenges the other one to come out of the saloon and, before you know it, out come the six-guns and the dusty streets run red with the blood of the rugged, yet sensitive, cowpokes.
Now that's a recipe for disaster.

Back to top Go down
UrRight



Posts : 3993

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 12:08 pm

I have to agree with Happy Jack. Sorry...The Elko, NEvada is already a "HOTSPOT" tourism, gambling alone attracts millions from across the nation.

I am only familiar with the location through a couple my family and I met when Gary, IN had the planes flying there. They bragged about the place. Taking trips there and getting free money and lodging...it has been around since 2005, since we lost contact with them via the Trump boat, but they went their to Elko since it was such a neat place for tourism and grandiose gambling.

They don't need any federal assistance, sorry. I don't think Harry Reid is fit for office, as I felt Pelosi wasn't.

Icome from Ste. Genevieve, at the first town founded west of the Missippi River in the 1700s and that town doesn't get federal funds to keep up with the original fort houses, history, tourist attractions and the festival that draws thousands from out of state is all self promoting..no help from the FEDS.

A woman related to my mom devoted her entire life presenting a family and extended research on their ancestors and honored the family at the festival. A book was for sale for 20.00 which covered the cost of the book. Your name, family roots, ancestors, etc..dated back to where they originated from a complete family history was provided.

This town posses things from the civil war, and my point is the same as Happy Jacks. THEY DON'T ask for federal funding. They make their money from antique shops, the Jour de'Feat in August and plain ole tourism. Besides, hillbillies are known to scrimp their money away without embarrassing their pride, by taking money they don't need.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

avatar

Posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 6:09 pm

[quote="happy jack"]
Artie60438 wrote:

How many jobs will be created by eliminating these festivals?
None.
You do realize that money will be spent at the local bars and eateries, don't you?
How many businesses would be hurt by eliminating these festivals?
Would you be in favor of these festivals if they were funded by the Federal Freakin' Government, like your Cowboy Poetry Festival?


Artie60438 wrote:
Thousands of people travel to Elko,NV to attend this. They spend money there by patronizing businesses and lodging facilities. How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?
Ah yes, Harry Reid's favorite earmark, The Cowboy Poetry Festival!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

avatar

Posts : 9360

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 7:11 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

It's not just this festival. It's about cutting the National Endowment for the Humanities which is an agency of the U.S. government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities. No jobs will be created as a result of defunding them and many will be lost.

I see that you possess such an in-depth insight into the inner workings of the NEH that you were able to quote verbatim from the very first search result that pops up when you type in ‘National Endowment for the Humanities’.
Is all of your research this thorough?
Yep! It's called being efficient by saving me the time it would have taken to type it out. How much time did you waste chasing your tail on that one? :rolfcry:
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 11:23 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

It's not just this festival. It's about cutting the National Endowment for the Humanities which is an agency of the U.S. government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities. No jobs will be created as a result of defunding them and many will be lost.

I see that you possess such an in-depth insight into the inner workings of the NEH that you were able to quote verbatim from the very first search result that pops up when you type in ‘National Endowment for the Humanities’.
Is all of your research this thorough?
Yep! It's called being efficient by saving me the time it would have taken to type it out. How much time did you waste chasing your tail on that one? :rolfcry:

I wasted precisely as much time as it took me to paste the phrase 'National Endowment for the Humanities’ and click my mouse (or approximately as long as it took you to conclude your deep and thorough research on the subject).
And why are you suddenly so worried about time-saving efficiency?
Have you recently encountered a sudden lack of free time?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

avatar

Posts : 5953

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   3/10/2011, 11:50 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

How many jobs will be created by eliminating these festivals?
None.
That's because the festivals didn't exist in the first place,genius. Never mind the extra Police presence required which would cost the city extra and the fact that the Alderman and I'm sure the neighbors are against it.
You just don't get it, do you?

Artie60438 wrote:
Thousands of people travel to Elko,NV to attend this. They spend money there by patronizing businesses and lodging facilities. How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?
I was simply parroting the same ridiculous question you asked about the Cowboy Poetry Festival.


You are the one so worried about creating jobs and revenue for the 'little guy', which is exactly what these festivals would do.
Would you be happier if the federal government was funding these festivals?
Would that make the festivals as essential, in your book, as Nevada's Buttless Chaps version of Woodstock?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   

Back to top Go down
 
Cowboy Poets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: