Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Heretic

Heretic

Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty
PostSubject: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty3/1/2011, 10:38 am

A reasoned analysis on the true threat of Muslim terrorism, and why I can't get worked up about it.

Quote :
What Islamist Terrorist Threat?

Know thy enemy is an ancient principle of warfare. And if America had heeded it, it might have refrained from a full-scale “war” on terrorism whose price tag is touching $2 trillion. That’s because the Islamist enemy it is confronting is not some hyper-power capable of inflicting existential—or even grave—harm. It is, rather, a rag-tag band of peasants whose malevolent ambitions are far beyond the capacity of their shallow talent pool to deliver.

The shock and awe of 9-11 was so great that Americans came to think of Islamist jihadists as a low-tech version of Dr. Strangelove, an evil genius constantly looking for ingenious ways of spreading death and destruction. America is so open and vulnerable and the Islamists so crafty and motivated that it was just a matter of time, everyone thought, before they got us again.

But this year marks the 10th anniversary of 9-11 and none of the horrible scenarios conjured then have materialized. Islamic terrorists have not flown more planes into buildings. They haven’t detonated “loose nukes” or dirty bombs. They haven’t released nerve gas into subway stations. They haven’t poisoned the water supply. They haven’t even strolled into one of America’s hundreds of malls or farmer’s markets and blown themselves up.

Maybe this is because enhanced post-9/11 security has made America invulnerable. Or maybe the Islamists never posed that a big threat to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty3/1/2011, 1:26 pm

I've always believed that. While 911 was stunning in what it accomplished,the reality was that it was a crude plot,although well executed and synchronized, that simply exploited a stupid loophole allowing box cutters or other sharp objects that could inflict serious harm on an aircraft.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty3/1/2011, 2:19 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
I've always believed that. While 911 was stunning in what it accomplished,the reality was that it was a crude plot,although well executed and synchronized, that simply exploited a stupid loophole allowing box cutters or other sharp objects that could inflict serious harm on an aircraft.
I can think of a big loophole yet to be exploited, and if I've thought of it, I can guarantee some bad guys have, too.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty3/1/2011, 8:57 pm

What would that be?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty3/1/2011, 9:06 pm

Heretic wrote:
What would that be?
Why the hell would I give anyone ideas?
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty3/2/2011, 8:54 am

Security Guru Bruce Schneier (found the article at his site) runs an Annual Movie-Plot Threat Contest. You should submit yours; it might win.

Besides, you wouldn't be giving anyone ideas; not anyone that matters anyway. They already know, remember?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty3/2/2011, 10:41 am

Heretic wrote:
Security Guru Bruce Schneier (found the article at his site) runs an Annual Movie-Plot Threat Contest. You should submit yours; it might win.
No, thanks. That could possibly make me famous; then I would have to get Italian shoes, a trophy wife, and my own reality show.

Heretic wrote:
Besides, you wouldn't be giving anyone ideas; not anyone that matters anyway. They already know, remember?
They probably do, so they don’t need my help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America   Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America Empty

Back to top Go down

Al Qaeda doesn't have what it takes to hurt America
Page 1 of 1