Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Waiting For Superman"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

"Waiting For Superman" Empty
PostSubject: "Waiting For Superman"   "Waiting For Superman" Empty9/20/2010, 9:48 am

Six Time Grammy Award, Johnny Legend, made a remarkable movie, entitled, "Waiting for Superman," set for release in Oct. He is now appearing right now on Oprah.

He did this movie to show how schools are failing our children. It's remarkable...I just tuned in...so, if you are up late tonight, watch the re-run.

I think it gives so much insight to what the real problem is as to why so many children fall behind...most blame the parents, etc., but he exposes the real reason: administration and teachers.

One young girl who spoke out, that she attended a charter school instead of the neighborhood school. She said she is very intelligent and did well in most areas, but when it came to testing, she didn't do well. They wanted to throw her in the low track where kids can't spell, etc.

Since joining the charter school, they were all tested the same, and in some areas, certain kids may not be good at spelling, English, or whatever subject, but they are all encouraged and tested the same. Her test scores shot up! shot up!!!!...and if she had stayed at the public school they would have thrown her in a class on a "lower track" where teachers earned tenure, and treat the kids as being dumb. She didn't want to be thrown in with kids not as bright as her, she just had trouble when being tested.

The extent of the program is mostly "Why OUR Public Schools failing our children."..and they are.

The girl said, "The public school was fancy and new, but inside everything on the outside didn't matter."

I hope you catch it, or go on her web-site (Oprah's) or catch her rerun tonite. It sure shines a light on what plaques all public schools across the nation.

Right now they are talking about "INNOVATIVE" schools that a team put together where any kid from anywhere can attend (Denver is one place). These kids are innovative - all backgrounds with pursuing their dream of what it takes to become what they want after college. Graduation of the six innovative schools across the nation graduated all their kids and each one went on to college. No drop out rates.

Each innovative school (6 total, I believe) have a list of thousands wanting their children to attend these schools.

I wish the school officials would get in touch with the founders of these schools...it wouldn't be money wasted, and find out why their schools are so successful.

Mayor, why don't you go to find out about this? It would be money well spent...Don't send Wilson, send yourself...and see for yourself how Hammond can turn its schools around!

I can't wait to see this movie. Log onto Oprah.com and see today's show.

Back to top Go down
KarenT

PostSubject: Re: "Waiting For Superman"   "Waiting For Superman" Empty9/20/2010, 4:26 pm

That girl was energized - too bad more public school students aren't like her.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: "Waiting For Superman"   "Waiting For Superman" Empty9/20/2010, 7:25 pm

KarenT wrote:
That girl was energized - too bad more public school students aren't like her.

YOU saw it, Karen? wish Tiger would now...pm her on the other board...she would love it...right up her alley!

At least tell her to log on Oprah's website to see if they exposed today's show...remind her of the movie! Tell her i THINK OF HER ALWAYS!

sHE DOES SO MUCH FOR THE COMMUNITY.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Waiting For Superman"   "Waiting For Superman" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Waiting For Superman"
Page 1 of 1