Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"? Empty
PostSubject: Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"?   Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"? Empty9/8/2010, 12:31 pm

Just read in a local downstate paper that a huge Merrillville industry is moving to a new "Industrial Park" in Knox, IN.

When I travel to my brother's and take back roads from I-80 or even head further west on Route 52 make a right to go to Joliet, I notice so many industrial parks.

Which is just loaded with warehouses for places such as "Dollar Bills" and can't think of all the names, but they have more than a few industrial parks. They add a lot to the tax base.

So, instead of developing another mall where the old K-Mart is, why didn't they try and make it an Industrial Park?

Just asking...and wondering why Hammond doesn't really try to swing more if they have land available for such an industry.

Heck, a big-truck stop there would be good.

I don't see or read about Hammond trying to attract huge industrial warehouses that would certainly give more benefits, tax-wise, than another strip mall.

What say you? They already have the lowest taxes..great location next to the expressway...why can't Hammond attract huge businesses like that?
Back to top Go down
BigFan

BigFan

PostSubject: Re: Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"?   Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"? Empty9/8/2010, 2:40 pm

Summer st, 165th between industry and calumet, Columbia between gostlin and 140th....
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"?   Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"? Empty9/8/2010, 4:09 pm

UrRight wrote:
Just read in a local downstate paper that a huge Merrillville industry is moving to a new "Industrial Park" in Knox, IN.

When I travel to my brother's and take back roads from I-80 or even head further west on Route 52 make a right to go to Joliet, I notice so many industrial parks.

Which is just loaded with warehouses for places such as "Dollar Bills" and can't think of all the names, but they have more than a few industrial parks. They add a lot to the tax base.

So, instead of developing another mall where the old K-Mart is, why didn't they try and make it an Industrial Park?
I think that location is better served with retail being that it's right on Indy Blvd.

Quote :
Just asking...and wondering why Hammond doesn't really try to swing more if they have land available for such an industry.

Heck, a big-truck stop there would be good.
Think of the traffic nightmare it would cause on the Blvd.

Quote :
I don't see or read about Hammond trying to attract huge industrial warehouses that would certainly give more benefits, tax-wise, than another strip mall.

What say you? They already have the lowest taxes..great location next to the expressway...why can't Hammond attract huge businesses like that?
The locations you mention in your followup post are good ideas for locating them.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"?   Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"? Empty9/8/2010, 7:39 pm

If traffic is an issue, I say not! There is a huge - huge warehouse, industrial park on the south side of I-80 in New Lenox, with a huge high school not too far down the road.

Same with the other industrial parks with businesses surrounding it that are located quite near the expressway I-80 in the Joliet area. Trucks and stuff are common there.

The proximity to the I-80 ramps are less than a mile away, and I have many times traveled by those industrial parks...most are storage warehouses for Sams, etc. Never is traffic a problem. Even near my bro's house...which is a problem...a two lane highway with a 50 mile speed limit, it is so dangerous trying to drive the limit among cornfields, yet driving side roads to get to I-80 East or West, passing Industrial parks, never a snarl...or a danger.

I'm talking classy industrial parks...not the stuff on the North Side of Hammond. Try South Hammond, where the trucks really want to travel without paying tolls.

My nephew owns a trucking company..he has over 18 trailer trucks. He had to relocate for easier access to the Borman Expressway, yet his business is in IL...all because of access to the expressway. Tolls were killing him to travel loads through Indiana.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"?   Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"? Empty

Back to top Go down

Question: Why Can't Hammond Develop An "INDUSTRIAL PARK"?
Page 1 of 1