Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who Would Replace Bayh?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty
PostSubject: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 2:55 pm

Not sure that he'll be offered anything, especially if the Senate count remains close to 60 Dem Senators, but I wonder who Mitch might name to replace him were he to accept an appointment?

My guess is it would be some legislator that most folks in NWI probably never even heard of. But one thing's for sure. Mitch would be extra careful about shopping out that appointment given Bloggo's current woes. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 3:18 pm

mitch could, if he wanted pick a repub. if thats the case i believe you are right. hed be someone few people up here know of.

if mitch were to pick a dem? as is a common nod by governors of opposing parties to the electorate...then wiseapple of evansville, or our very own mayor would be the likely top contenders for an appointment.

honestly i think mitch would view the guy from northwest indiana as the more unlikely candidate to win statewide in two years. so if he chose this route i think hed try to appoint mcdermott.

but with all of that in mind, im not sure if mcdermott would accept right now if the offer ever came along.

and besides that, thus far evan hasnt been nominated for anything has he?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 3:46 pm

Nothing yet that I know of but if he can appoint Hillary he could appoint just about anybody. Still plenty of slots to fill including ambassadorships you know.

On another note I still think Senators need to have legislative experience, but that doesn't seem to be stopping Carolina Kennedy I guess. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 3:49 pm

hell i heard someone suggest chelsea today for that spot. i dont think shes constitutionally old enough...but i really dont think some people care much about the constitution anymore.

the thing obama may be thinking about evan...if he appoints him...that could be one less dem in the senate for the next two years. and with franken's race still in doubt...and still at least one short of the 60 threshold...risking another dem seat may not be something obama wants to do.

so maybe bayh gets left out in the cold?

if hes thinking this way...look for him to try to appoint lieberman to something. than the dem conn governor (thats conn as in connecticut, not illinois) could put a true blue dog in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 3:54 pm

I'm pretty sure she's no where near 35. But then there could possibly be a House seat somewhere. I doubt she really wants either. Still, ain't it funny that everyone was to treat her with kid gloves during the primary, yet now there's talk of her getting appointed to a high political office? LMAO
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 3:58 pm

hell maliea might get an ambassadorship!
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 5:52 pm

I don't know that Chelsea would want anything political. She's made a damn good name for herself in the corporate world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 5:55 pm

I doubt Mitch would try to replace Bayh with a republican, the backlash would be way to much heat, especially after Blagogate

I could see him nominating someone from the state house who I have never heard of, who agrees with him politically that is a D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 5:56 pm

I don't think Lieberman would accept an appointment. He holds a great deal of power where he is.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 5:56 pm

Think he'd throw Schellinger in there as an extra blow to Long-Thompson?
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 7:24 pm

wow, that would be a big blow to thompson.

honestly though. i cant think of one name on either side of the aisle that would be a lock for re-election in two years. so if evan does leave it makes me think this could be a hell of a race to watch in the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/16/2008, 9:55 pm

Well I guess if he wants to put Indiana on the map he could always appoint old Rudy Clay. That should be good for a few colorful headlines. At worst he'd probably be ready to retire come the next election anyway. LMAO
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 7:16 am

I'm kinda mean. If I were Mitch, I would appoint the most incompetent Democrat I could find and let them make a national spectacle out of the Democrats. I'm not saying that because I'm anti-Democrat either though. I'd say the same thing if it were a Democrat governor appointing a Republican. I'd just pick someone who's going to make a spectacle and lose to my party in the next election.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 7:28 am

paul87920 wrote:
I'm kinda mean. If I were Mitch, I would appoint the most incompetent Democrat I could find and let them make a national spectacle out of the Democrats. I'm not saying that because I'm anti-Democrat either though. I'd say the same thing if it were a Democrat governor appointing a Republican. I'd just pick someone who's going to make a spectacle and lose to my party in the next election.
Doing something like that could hurt Daniel's political career. A strong Senator representing Indiana is an asset to the Governor and his political future also.
Back to top Go down
FFScott

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 7:35 am

Bayh is not going anywhere. He had a chance if Mitch had been beaten. I love when republicans think they know whats going on with the way dems think about anything.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 7:44 am

sparks wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
Doing something like that could hurt Daniel's political career. A strong Senator representing Indiana is an asset to the Governor and his political future also.

Probably why I'm not governor. Right right? lol

FFScott wrote:
Bayh is not going anywhere. He had a chance if Mitch had been beaten. I love when republicans think they know whats going on with the way dems think about anything.

I can't speak for the Republicans on this forum but I know I for one was speaking in hypotheticals and do not believe Bayh even has a chance at an appointment under an Obama administration considering how aggressively he helped Hillary win the state.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 10:46 am

Well he did give Hillary a great job after winning, so Obama doesn;t seem to be holding a grudge

I thought I read somewhere Bayh wanted to be an ambassador, so I could see him doing that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 12:10 pm

sparks wrote:
paul87920 wrote:

Not really so much. What office would Mitch run for next? Except for Bayh it seems like after being Indiana governor people just disappear off the political map. I was kinda expecting Quayle to make a run for the governorship at some point but he was strangely absent all through the last election unless there was an appearance downstate. So outside of a future Presidential appointment I think he's done.

I suppose he could appoint himself. That is a possibility. He could justify appointing Rudy Clay and write-off the negatives by claiming the Senate needed more minority representation. Or he could appoint a rising star in the Dem party like a Tom McDermott, which he won't because he IS a rising star in the Dem party. OTOH McDermott might not make it past the primary for the same reason NWI people rarely win statewide office. Besides the bad reputation of the Region it's another case of no local TV coverage. OTOH if he could bring home the bacon to Indiana he could be a lifelong lock for re-election, which I'm sure a GOP governor would get more heat for than appointing a Rudy Clay. Wink

I wonder if Dan Coats is still available? It could be argued that he was acceptable to Dems by winning re-elections, scandal free, and voluntarily retired on the principle of term limits. That could be Mitch's out to put a Republican in the Senate and Dan wouldn't even necessarily have to run for re-election. Just agree to fill out the remainder of the term if he wanted. But again, we don't know if he would even have any interest. It would also, I believe, give Indiana an instant ranking minority member since he did retire with full privileges.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 3:27 pm

mirage...think what you are just saying!

Senator, Rudy Clay? OMG!

on the other hand if mitch wanted to single handedly bring down the democratic party, that might be one way to do it! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty12/17/2008, 5:09 pm

Exactly! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who Would Replace Bayh?   Who Would Replace Bayh? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who Would Replace Bayh?
Page 1 of 1