Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday   Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday Empty8/31/2009, 12:49 pm

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. | Illinois consumers will pay more for toiletries, candy, soft drinks and liquor starting Tuesday as lawmakers raise cash to pay for a statewide construction program.

Most candy -- currently carrying a 1 percent sales tax -- will be taxed at 6.25 percent. And it'll be the same for shampoos and toothpastes that until now were considered "medicated."

Bottled soft drinks with added sweetener or flavoring, such as iced tea, will be taxed more. And liquor distributors will pay more for alcohol. In many cases, the cost will be passed on to consumers.

All told, the changes should raise about $150 million a year toward a $30 billion roads-and-schools building plan. The program also includes hundreds of millions of dollars for local pet projects of lawmakers.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday   Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday Empty9/1/2009, 11:09 am

I love it. Nothing like an Illinois tax to stimulate an Indiana economy.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday   Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday Empty9/6/2009, 10:43 am

Why Louis, did you know that if you buy peanuts it is one tax. If you buy the beer nuts, it's a candy, calling for the higher taxes.

Paul, the thing that blows my mind is, when the Times Newspaper brought up the "Blue Law" to sell liquor on Sundays. Here's a stupid old law that should be repealed. It's 2009; not 1929.

The politicians can't see that extra revenue in Indiana on a Sunday? Blows my mind.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday   Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday Empty9/7/2009, 1:30 pm

UrRight wrote:
Why Louis, did you know that if you buy peanuts it is one tax. If you buy the beer nuts, it's a candy, calling for the higher taxes.

Paul, the thing that blows my mind is, when the Times Newspaper brought up the "Blue Law" to sell liquor on Sundays. Here's a stupid old law that should be repealed. It's 2009; not 1929.

The politicians can't see that extra revenue in Indiana on a Sunday? Blows my mind.

I get what you are saying. Nothing like a beer run to the state line. Lousy Indiana laws...
Back to top Go down
Passion

Passion

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday   Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday Empty9/7/2009, 10:23 pm

All told, the changes should raise about $150 million a year toward a $30 billion roads-and-schools building plan. The program also includes hundreds of millions of dollars for local pet projects of lawmakers.

I realize proponents have to claim new taxes are actually FOR something in order to sell it. But I wonder what else wasn't cut that might have made more taxes unnecessary.

Seems like all I ever see is more ways to tax anything in sight. But I guess that happens when government wants to manage more of your life than it should. It costs money to hire more bureaucrats to rule over what often should be personal choices and to provide services better met by the private sector charities. No wonder charitable giving is down. All these new taxes are eating up the funds that used to go there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday   Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday Empty

Back to top Go down

Illinois Sales Taxes Increase Tuesday
Page 1 of 1