Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks

Go down 
+4
sparks
Scorpion
BigWhiteGuy
Artie60438
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty
PostSubject: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/13/2011, 10:18 pm

Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks -aide
Quote :
WASHINGTON, July 13 | Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37pm EDT

(Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama told Republicans at the conclusion of a stormy budget meeting on Wednesday that he would not yield further even if it puts his presidency at risk, a Republican aide said.

Quote :
"I have reached the point where I say enough," Obama said, according to the aide. "Would Ronald Reagan be sitting here? I've reached my limit. This may bring my presidency down, but I will not yield on this."
cheers cheers cheers
Hang tight Mr President and let the insane GOP clown posse commit political suicide.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/14/2011, 6:13 pm

Funny, he had a different attitude in 2006.

Quote :
From Senator Obama’s Floor Speech, March 20, 2006:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here.” Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/14/2011, 9:48 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Funny, he had a different attitude in 2006.

Quote :
From Senator Obama’s Floor Speech, March 20, 2006:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here.” Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

Yeah, well this is old news. He has already spoken about that vote, and acknowledged that it was a "political vote."

From April 2011....

Obama: 2006 Debt Ceiling Vote Was Politically Motivated

Quote :
“That was just an example of a new Senator, you know, making what is a political vote, as opposed to doing what was important for the country. And I’m the first one to acknowledge it,” Obama told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, according to a transcript of the interview.

Quote :
“I think that it’s important to understand the vantage point of a Senator versus the vantage point of a President,” Obama told Stephanopoulos on Thursday. “When you’re a Senator, traditionally what’s happened is this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit for the United States by a trillion dollars or a trillion and a half, whatever the number is. And so, traditionally the president’s party ... bears the burden of passing it.

“As President, you start realizing, ‘You know what? We can’t play around with this stuff. This is the full faith and credit of the United States.’”
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/15/2011, 4:43 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/13/mcconnell-on-his-debt-cei_n_897124.html
Mitch McConnell seems to be one of the few Republican leaders left who realizes have bad a default would prove to be to the country.
Quote :
"[W]e knew shutting down the government in 1995 was not going to work for us. It helped Bill Clinton get reelected. I refuse to help Barack Obama get reelected by marching Republicans into a position where we have co-ownership of a bad economy," McConnell said. "It didn't work in 1995. What will happen is the administration will send out notices to 80 million Social Security recipients and to military families and they will all start attacking members of Congress. That is not a useful place to take us. And the president will have the bully pulpit to blame Republicans for all this disruption."
I think that defaulting on our debt will have far greater consequences than the partial government shutdown that occurred in 1995.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/15/2011, 9:13 am

sparks wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/13/mcconnell-on-his-debt-cei_n_897124.html
Mitch McConnell seems to be one of the few Republican leaders left who realizes have bad a default would prove to be to the country.
Quote :
"[W]e knew shutting down the government in 1995 was not going to work for us. It helped Bill Clinton get reelected. I refuse to help Barack Obama get reelected by marching Republicans into a position where we have co-ownership of a bad economy," McConnell said. "It didn't work in 1995. What will happen is the administration will send out notices to 80 million Social Security recipients and to military families and they will all start attacking members of Congress. That is not a useful place to take us. And the president will have the bully pulpit to blame Republicans for all this disruption."
I think that defaulting on our debt will have far greater consequences than the partial government shutdown that occurred in 1995.
We've had (and passed) a "deadline" last May, and we are still here.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/15/2011, 11:46 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
The deadline got extended because of stronger than expected tax receipts. I don't what it's going to take to convince you R's that not raising the debt ceiling and going into default is a scenario that will cripple this country for a long time to come. You need to stop listening to morons like Bachmann,Palin and the rest of the mentally out to lunch crowd on the right. Even McConnell and Boehner realize the seriousness of this.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 9:26 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Even McConnell and Boehner realize the seriousness of this.

So does Wall Street and the Chamber of Commerce. So do the Koch brothers. The idea that this won't have an effect on us is found only in the tea party. You know, the same people who think dinosaurs were on the Ark...
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 10:30 am

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/6532321-418/244-mega-fund-raisers-rake-in-the-money-for-obama.html

Seems this Pc of TUShitz is focusing more on re-election than anything else.

My 26 year old daughter repaid her father's $500.00 bribe not to vote for Obama. He warned her, but her believing and replying at the time of election, her reasoning was.."If there's no HOPE or Change, what else do we have?"

She is very involved in her church, and asks God to forgive her for believing the DEVIL.

Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 10:41 am

They ought to frce the gov't to take pay cuts, sell their assests and no campaign donations, and be the public servants they are required to be. Not millionaires.

Then tell the seniors they can't get any soc. sec. money that rightfully belongs to them, but they STOLED the money. The politicians should be charged for THEFT. Repos, Demos, Independents...doesn't matter. They all are thieves.
Common sense says quit sending aid to foreign countries, and end all ties to forcing democracy on them. They enjoy the handouts. That's all. America can't take care of America, but the kickbacks are going great, aren't they. I say America is polluted with crooked politicians, always will be, but it's gotten worse.

Obama will be a one term Pc of Shitz. NO ONE from Chicago "bundled campaign" donationed to him. Ever notice how many left his administration?

While the country is in dire straits...he will be in Chicago August 3rd, with nothing to brag about.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 10:43 am

I think the American people have reached "THEIR LIMITS" in tolerating an incompetent idiot. I'm proud I didn't vote for him. He never kept one promise. It was all about "partying".

As far as "debt limits", the sky is his limit. He is so stupid. He isn't and never was qualified to be a POTUS.

He got there illegally - through corrupt friends.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 10:46 am

...and don't tell me he and Rham had nothing to do with Blago.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 1:42 pm

Heretic wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
Even McConnell and Boehner realize the seriousness of this.
So does Wall Street and the Chamber of Commerce. So do the Koch brothers. The idea that this won't have an effect on us is found only in the tea party. You know, the same people who think dinosaurs were on the Ark...
What's really frightening is some of the R's actually think that not raising the debt ceiling will improve our credit rating and make us look more responsible. Rolling Eyes My suggestion is that they miss a couple of mortgage and credit card payments and see how well that works out for them.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 2:04 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
The deadline got extended because of stronger than expected tax receipts. I don't what it's going to take to convince you R's that not raising the debt ceiling and going into default is a scenario that will cripple this country for a long time to come. You need to stop listening to morons like Bachmann,Palin and the rest of the mentally out to lunch crowd on the right. Even McConnell and Boehner realize the seriousness of this.
IMO, the house is where all the craziness about raising the debt ceiling is coming from. I am convinced that Boehner is so afraid of offending his whacked out Tea Party base that he will allow the US to default on it's debt. If you combine the intelligence of Boehner,Ryan and Cantor, you'd still have an idiot on your hands.The House of Representatives' budget that Paul Ryan proposed would cut Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, foreign food aid, health-care reform, and unemployment benefits while sparing military spending and giving even larger tax breaks to wealthy corporations and individuals. It's morally wrong to cut spending on needed social safety nets and keep giving the rich a pass on paying their fare share.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 6:30 pm

Scorpion wrote:

Yeah, well this is old news. He has already spoken about that vote, and acknowledged that it was a "political vote."

From April 2011....

Obama: 2006 Debt Ceiling Vote Was Politically Motivated

Quote :
“That was just an example of a new Senator, you know, making what is a political vote, as opposed to doing what was important for the country. And I’m the first one to acknowledge it,” Obama told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, according to a transcript of the interview.

Apparently, the old senators from the Democrat party didn't much feel like doing what was important for the country either, did they?
Can anybody spot the trend?

U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 109th Congress - 2nd Session as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate3/20/2006--Public Law. (This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The expanded summary of the House passed version is repeated here.) Amends federal law to increase the statutory limit on the public debt from $8.184 trillion to $8.965 trillion.

Vote Summary
YEAS-----52
Alexander (R-TN)Allard (R-CO)Allen (R-VA)Bennett (R-UT)Bond (R-MO)Brownback (R-KS)Bunning (R-KY)Burr (R-NC)Chafee (R-RI)Chambliss (R-GA)Cochran (R-MS)Coleman (R-MN)Collins (R-ME)Cornyn (R-TX)Craig (R-ID)Crapo (R-ID)DeMint (R-SC)DeWine (R-OH) Dole (R-NC)Domenici (R-NM)Enzi (R-WY)Frist (R-TN)Graham (R-SC)Grassley (R-IA)Gregg (R-NH)Hagel (R-NE)Hatch (R-UT)Hutchison (R-TX)Inhofe (R-OK)Isakson (R-GA)Kyl (R-AZ)Lott (R-MS)Lugar (R-IN)Martinez (R-FL)McCain (R-AZ)McConnell (R-KY) Murkowski (R-AK)Roberts (R-KS)Santorum (R-PA)Sessions (R-AL)Shelby (R-AL)Smith (R-OR)Snowe (R-ME)Specter (R-PA)Stevens (R-AK)Sununu (R-NH)Talent (R-MO)Thomas (R-WY)Thune (R-SD)Vitter (R-LA)Voinovich (R-OH)Warner (R-VA)

NAYs ---48
Akaka (D-HI)Baucus (D-MT)Bayh (D-IN)Biden (D-DE)Bingaman (D-NM)Boxer (D-CA)Burns (R-MT)Byrd (D-WV)Cantwell (D-WA)Carper (D-DE)Clinton (D-NY)Coburn (R-OK)Conrad (D-ND)Dayton (D-MN)Dodd (D-CT)Dorgan (D-ND) Durbin (D-IL)Ensign (R-NV)Feingold (D-WI)Feinstein (D-CA)Harkin (D-IA)Inouye (D-HI)Jeffords (I-VT)Johnson (D-SD)Kennedy (D-MA)Kerry (D-MA)Kohl (D-WI)Landrieu (D-LA)Lautenberg (D-NJ)Leahy (D-VT)Levin (D-MI)Lieberman (D-CT) Lincoln (D-AR)Menendez (D-NJ)Mikulski (D-MD)Murray (D-WA)Nelson (D-FL)Nelson (D-NE)Obama (D-IL)Pryor (D-AR)Reed (D-RI)Reid (D-NV)Rockefeller (D-WV)Salazar (D-CO)Sarbanes (D-MD)Schumer (D-NY)Stabenow (D-MI)Wyden (D-OR)
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/16/2011, 9:08 pm

happy jack wrote:

Apparently, the old senators from the Democrat party didn't much feel like doing what was important for the country either, did they?

Yeah. Well that's exactly what Barack was talking about in the second quote that I posted...

Quote :
“When you’re a Senator, traditionally what’s happened is this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit for the United States by a trillion dollars or a trillion and a half, whatever the number is. And so, traditionally the president’s party ... bears the burden of passing it.

“As President, you start realizing, ‘You know what? We can’t play around with this stuff. This is the full faith and credit of the United States.’”

So what's your point?

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 4:32 am

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Yeah. Well that's exactly what Barack was talking about in the second quote that I posted...

Quote :
“When you’re a Senator, traditionally what’s happened is this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit for the United States by a trillion dollars or a trillion and a half, whatever the number is. And so, traditionally the president’s party ... bears the burden of passing it.

So what's your point?

My point is that Barry and his cohorts quite knowingly, calculatedly and deliberately refused to do what even he acknowledges was important for the country.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 7:47 am

happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

Quote :

So what's your point?

My point is that Barry and his cohorts quite knowingly, calculatedly and deliberately refused to do what even he acknowledges was important for the country.
The difference is what the consequences of the vote will be. In the example you cited,Obama and the Democrats were in the minority party and their vote was symbolic. In this case, the vote of the Republicans will derail our economy and cost us billions in increased interest costs. However,if they do,the Republican party will self destruct. The seniors will make sure of that when they don't receive their social security checks. IMO, it's a win,win situation. The billionaires in this country are going pay their fair share of taxes now or in 2012 when Boehner and his ilk are run out of office.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 11:04 am

sparks wrote:
The difference is what the consequences of the vote will be. In the example you cited,Obama and the Democrats were in the minority party and their vote was symbolic. In this case, the vote of the Republicans will derail our economy and cost us billions in increased interest costs. However,if they do,the Republican party will self destruct. The seniors will make sure of that when they don't receive their social security checks. IMO, it's a win,win situation. The billionaires in this country are going pay their fair share of taxes now or in 2012 when Boehner and his ilk are run out of office.
How are they going to cut social security pay increases to recipients when there have been NO increases to cover cost of living increases in the last what 3-4 years? Sounds like a house of cards. Neither party is worrying about the seniors or disabled. But foriegn aid is at an all time high. Also, Obama is scheduled to sign a 78 Trillion dollar "spread the wealth around" measure with the United Nations early next year. Recipients of that US money will inclued countries listed as underdeveloped such as CHINA & NORTH KOREA.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 11:57 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Also, Obama is scheduled to sign a 78 Trillion dollar "spread the wealth around" measure with the United Nations early next year. Recipients of that US money will inclued countries listed as underdeveloped such as CHINA & NORTH KOREA.

Wow - that's quite a claim. If you could post a link regarding this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 12:40 pm

Scorpion wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Also, Obama is scheduled to sign a 78 Trillion dollar "spread the wealth around" measure with the United Nations early next year. Recipients of that US money will inclued countries listed as underdeveloped such as CHINA & NORTH KOREA.

Wow - that's quite a claim. If you could post a link regarding this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
His claim is misleading,as usual. The 76 trillion figure is based on a UN report regarding major investments in developing countries to build green economies. The
His claim is misleading,as usual. The 76 trillion figure is based on a UN report regarding major investments in developing countries to build green economies. This is the Press Release
He probably came up with this based on a
Fixed News Climate Change Denier's Op-Ed
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 4:49 pm

Thanks. Perhaps I missed it, but I couldn't find anything about Obama being "scheduled" to sign the document "early next year."

It's bullshit anyway. Does anyone really expect that the world is actually going to do anything serious about climate change at this point? IMHO, the time for meaningful action has passed. Now all we can do is try to mitigate the effects, although I suspect that it's probably too late for that as well.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 6:08 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Thanks. Perhaps I missed it, but I couldn't find anything about Obama being "scheduled" to sign the document "early next year."
That's what I tried first too. Then I dumbed down the search to just '76 trillion' and found where it came from.

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 6:56 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

His claim is misleading,as usual. The 76 trillion figure is based on a UN report regarding major investments in developing countries to build green economies.
His claim is misleading,as usual. The 76 trillion figure is based on a UN report regarding major investments in developing countries to build green economies.
Excuse me - could you repeat that?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/17/2011, 8:58 pm

GOP will get blame if debt ceiling not raised
Quote :
Voters will blame Republicans over Obama 48 - 34 percent if the debt limit is not raised;
Voters say 67 - 25 percent that an agreement to raise the debt ceiling should include tax hikes for the wealthy and corporations, not just spending cuts;
Voters say 45 - 37 percent that Obama's proposals to raise revenues are "closing loopholes," rather than "tax hikes"
Quote :
"Americans overwhelmingly disapprove of President Obama's handling of the economy, but by 2-1 they pin the blame on former President George W. Bush rather than Obama, who is now more than 60 percent through his term of office."
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty7/18/2011, 12:49 pm

happy jack wrote:

And what is happening now? The Republicans are "knowingly, calculatedly, and deliberately" doing the exact same thing. They're even setting up this bogus "procedure" so that they can vote against raising the debt limit 3 times before the 2012 election.

So it's not like the Republicans are distinguishing themselves by "doing what's important for the country," is it? It's just a continuation of the same politically motivated nonsense that goes on whenever the debt ceiling is reached.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks   Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama says has reached his limit in debt talks
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next