Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?

Go down 
+2
BigWhiteGuy
sparks
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sparks

Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty
PostSubject: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/2/2011, 7:38 am

According to the authors of Freakonomics, the reason crime has dropped so dramatically is because of a change in demographics of children born in the US. It turns out the the group most likely to become violent criminals are children who are born to poor,uneducated,unmarried teenage mothers lacking the resources and desire to raise children. The unintended consequence of Roe vs. Wade is that legalized abortion has made the US a much safer place to live.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/2/2011, 8:21 am

sparks wrote:
According to the authors of Freakonomics, the reason crime has dropped so dramatically is because of a change in demographics of children born in the US. It turns out the the group most likely to become violent criminals are children who are born to poor,uneducated,unmarried teenage mothers lacking the resources and desire to raise children. The unintended consequence of Roe vs. Wade is that legalized abortion has made the US a much safer place to live.
Wrong, again...
Quote :

Fewer Black Children In Big Cities As Parents Seek Better Lives

Last year’s census found that the number of black, non-Hispanic children living in New York City had fallen by 22.4 percent in 10 years. In raw numbers, that meant 127,058 fewer black kids living in the city of Jay Z and Spike Lee, even as the number of black adults grew slightly.

The same pattern has repeated from coast to coast. Los Angeles saw a 31.8 percent decline in its population of black children, far surpassing the 6.9 percent drop in black adults. The number of black children in Atlanta fell by 27 percent. It was down 31 percent in Chicago and 37.6 percent in Detroit. Oakland, Calif. saw a drop of 42.3 percent, an exodus that fell only 6 percentage points below the decline in flood-ravaged New Orleans.

Oakland, a city fraught for years with violence and high poverty rates, has at last been experiencing a renaissance, but the number of white hipsters, Asians and Hispanics moving in has been outpaced by the number of black families that have disappeared.

That decline has been led by the 42.3 percent drop in the number of black children, from 38,765 a decade ago to 22,377 last year. By comparison, the number of black adults dropped by just under 17 percent.

Even cities that saw a large rise in their overall black population saw their numbers of black children fall, or grow at a much slower rate. In Phoenix, the number of black adult residents grew by 44.8 percent over the past decade, but added fewer than 4,000 black children, for a growth rate of 18.6 percent. Houston added 21,324 black adults, but had 23,219 fewer black children.

On a national level, the number of black children has inched down by only 2.3 percent, compared to a much larger 9.8 percent drop for white children.
http://www.blacknews.com/news/fewer_black_children_big_cities101.shtml
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/2/2011, 8:33 am

How can they claim crime is down with all the crime alone, in Gary, E.C., Hammond, not to mention Ford Heights, Calumet City, and that once, nice neighborhood and village, "Lansing, IL"?

Baloney!!!!!

I've seen it rise in Hammond within blocks of the house. 21 crimes committed over a two to three week period.

Baloney, baloney, baloney.

You can deny all you want, but I've seen, experienced it three times over the years, personally. I don't care what color they were.

Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/2/2011, 8:37 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
Wrong, again...
Quote :

Last year’s census found that the number of black, non-Hispanic children living in New York City had fallen by 22.4 percent in 10 years. In raw numbers, that meant 127,058 fewer black kids living in the city of Jay Z and Spike Lee, even as the number of black adults grew slightly.

The same pattern has repeated from coast to coast. Los Angeles saw a 31.8 percent decline in its population of black children, far surpassing the 6.9 percent drop in black adults. The number of black children in Atlanta fell by 27 percent. It was down 31 percent in Chicago and 37.6 percent in Detroit. Oakland, Calif. saw a drop of 42.3 percent, an exodus that fell only 6 percentage points below the decline in flood-ravaged New Orleans.

Oakland, a city fraught for years with violence and high poverty rates, has at last been experiencing a renaissance, but the number of white hipsters, Asians and Hispanics moving in has been outpaced by the number of black families that have disappeared.

That decline has been led by the 42.3 percent drop in the number of black children, from 38,765 a decade ago to 22,377 last year. By comparison, the number of black adults dropped by just under 17 percent.

Even cities that saw a large rise in their overall black population saw their numbers of black children fall, or grow at a much slower rate. In Phoenix, the number of black adult residents grew by 44.8 percent over the past decade, but added fewer than 4,000 black children, for a growth rate of 18.6 percent. Houston added 21,324 black adults, but had 23,219 fewer black children.

On a national level, the number of black children has inched down by only 2.3 percent, compared to a much larger 9.8 percent drop for white children.
Easy affordable access to abortions means that the poorest Americans are less likely to carry unwanted pregnancies to full-term. That explains the decline of young black children in urban areas.Put on your big boy pants and try again.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/2/2011, 12:16 pm

UrRight wrote:
How can they claim crime is down with all the crime alone, in Gary, E.C., Hammond, not to mention Ford Heights, Calumet City, and that once, nice neighborhood and village, "Lansing, IL"?

Baloney!!!!!

I've seen it rise in Hammond within blocks of the house. 21 crimes committed over a two to three week period.

Baloney, baloney, baloney.

You can deny all you want, but I've seen, experienced it three times over the years, personally. I don't care what color they were.

http://www.crimetrends.com/id3.html
Here is a link that shows how reported crime has dropped nationwide over the last twenty years. If you have any links to refute the data, I would like to see them.Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? HomRob6009
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/2/2011, 12:26 pm

Not refuting NATIONWIDE, Sparks. I don't care about the nation. I care about local, so strike me as being "off-topic".

Amazes me with all the killings at the border(s), the mob killings in Chicago, the rise in the local area, I think it went UP in certain parts of the country.

Especially with the economy...who can afford bullets? LOL
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/2/2011, 2:25 pm

UrRight wrote:
Not refuting NATIONWIDE, Sparks. I don't care about the nation. I care about local, so strike me as being "off-topic".

Amazes me with all the killings at the border(s), the mob killings in Chicago, the rise in the local area, I think it went UP in certain parts of the country.

Especially with the economy...who can afford bullets? LOL
[b]Sorry about confusing you with the facts,Ur. I've been going to local crime watch meetings for years and the reported crime rate in Hammond has been dropping also.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/5/2011, 4:56 pm

sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
Wrong, again...
Quote :

Easy affordable access to abortions means that the poorest Americans are less likely to carry unwanted pregnancies to full-term. That explains the decline of young black children in urban areas.Put on your big boy pants and try again.

sparks:

Do you advocate killing poor black children in the womb in order to make your neighborhood safer?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/5/2011, 8:44 pm

happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
Wrong, again...

sparks:

Do you advocate killing poor black children in the womb in order to make your neighborhood safer?
This thread isn't meant to be pro or con abortion, but how legalizing abortion has impacted crime in this country. Crime hasn't just dropped in urban areas but nationwide.It is understandable that someone like you who wants to impose his moral beliefs on women he doesn't know would be unhappy about this discussion.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 7:02 am

sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:

sparks:

It is understandable that someone like you who wants to impose his moral beliefs on women he doesn't know would be unhappy about this discussion.
What gives you the idea that I am "unhappy about this discussion"? I merely asked a question.
But it is understandable that someone like you would be ecstatic about keeping your own neighborhood safe regardless of how many poor black children need to be sacrificed in order to achieve that goal.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 7:24 am

happy jack wrote:

But it is understandable that someone like you would be ecstatic about keeping your own neighborhood safe regardless of how many poor black children need to be sacrificed in order to achieve that goal.[/b]
You claim to worry about "poor black children",yet you support politicians that vote against these same children's interests every chance they get.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 9:11 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

But it is understandable that someone like you would be ecstatic about keeping your own neighborhood safe regardless of how many poor black children need to be sacrificed in order to achieve that goal.[/b]
You claim to worry about "poor black children",yet you support politicians that vote against these same children's interests every chance they get.
And who would those politicians be?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 10:29 am

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

And who would those politicians be?[/b]
We could start with John McCain
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 4:05 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Then start with examples of McCain voting against the interests of poor black children every chance he gets.
(I'd like to see the bills in which he voted against the interests of poor black children in their original wording, please - not with dailykos or somebody else spinning and telling me what the bills meant.)
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 7:47 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

[b]Then start with examples of McCain voting against the interests of poor black children every chance he gets.
(I'd like to see the bills in which he voted against the interests of poor black children in their original wording, please - not with dailykos or somebody else spinning and telling me what the bills meant.)
Here ya go Very Happy

"The Children's Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in Congress for children."

McCain: Bush right to veto kids health insurance expansion

Your party,the Republicans, currently have declared war on both children and women with the draconian budget cuts they've been pushing during negotiations.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 7:59 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Then start with examples of McCain voting against the interests of poor black children every chance he gets.
Here ya go Very Happy

"The Children's Defense Fund rated McCain as the worst senator in Congress for children."

Your party,the Republicans, currently have declared war on both children and women with the draconian budget cuts they've been pushing during negotiations.

The bills, Artie, the bills – not PolitiFact’s spin on it.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 10:10 pm

Is there assessment incorrect?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/6/2011, 10:28 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

[b]Then start with examples of McCain voting against the interests of poor black children every chance he gets.
Here ya go Very Happy

Politfact didn't "spin" anything. The statements made about McCain were judged 100% true.
Quote :
PolitiFact.com was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting in 2009 for "its fact-checking initiative during the 2008 presidential campaign that used probing reporters and the power of the World Wide Web to examine more than 750 political claims, separating rhetoric from truth to enlighten voters."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PolitiFact.com
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/7/2011, 4:34 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Here ya go Very Happy

Politfact didn't "spin" anything. The statements made about McCain were judged 100% true.
Quote :
PolitiFact.com was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting in 2009 for "its fact-checking initiative during the 2008 presidential campaign that used probing reporters and the power of the World Wide Web to examine more than 750 political claims, separating rhetoric from truth to enlighten voters."
Artie, you're going to confuse Jack with the facts. He's much more comfortable posting about drunks and dogs.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/7/2011, 7:08 am

Heretic wrote:
I can't answer that without seeing the content of the bills.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/7/2011, 7:16 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Here ya go Very Happy

Quote :
How is anything that McCain voted either for or against more harmful to the poor black children than sparks' plan to dismember them by sucking them through vacuum hoses in order to keep his own neighborhood safe? (That's how this particular exchange got started, in case you forgot.) Perhaps you could show me some of those harmful bills.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/7/2011, 7:53 am

happy jack wrote:
Heretic wrote:
Quote :
Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization and Expansion

Key Votes:
HR 2

Issues: Budget, Spending and Taxes, Business and Consumers, Family and Children Issues, Health Issues
Date: 01/29/2009
Sponsor: Rep. Pallone, Frank Jr. (D-NJ)

Bill Passed
(Senate)
How members voted
(66 - 32)

Senator McCain voted NO
http://www.votesmart.org/issue_keyvote_detail.php?cs_id=23438&can_id=53270
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/7/2011, 4:35 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Heretic wrote:
Quote :

Key Votes:
HR 2

Issues: Budget, Spending and Taxes, Business and Consumers, Family and Children Issues, Health Issues
Date: 01/29/2009
Sponsor: Rep. Pallone, Frank Jr. (D-NJ)

Bill Passed
(Senate)
How members voted
(66 - 32)

Senator McCain voted NO
Thanks for the link.
Again, how is voting against this bill more harmful to poor black children than dismembering them by sucking them through vacuum hoses?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/7/2011, 6:01 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Quote :
Senator McCain voted NO
[b]Thanks for the link.
Again, how is voting against this bill more harmful to poor black children than dismembering them by sucking them through vacuum hoses?
If you want to start a topic about abortion,then please start a new topic. This part of the discussion was about Republican hypocrisy at it's finest.....folks who claim to care about "poor black children" and then support a political party who does everything it can to reduce any opportunities to make their lives easier.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty7/7/2011, 6:26 pm

Artie60438 wrote:

If you want to start a topic about abortion,then please start a new topic. This part of the discussion was about Republican hypocrisy at it's finest.....folks who claim to care about "poor black children" and then support a political party who does everything it can to reduce any opportunities to make their lives easier.

Here is the first post on this thread.
If you would care to start a thread about "Republican hypocrisy at its finest", please do.

sparks wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?   Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why have crime rates been dropping in the US for 20 years?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next