Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sparks

Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty
PostSubject: Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School   Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty3/11/2009, 8:51 am

I attended Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School today. He was holding a question and answer session to build support for two issues. Governor Daniels wants to amend Indiana's constitution so that the 1%,2%,3% property tax caps that will take effect in 2010 cannot be repealed in the future. He is also trying to make government more efficient eliminating the township form of government completely, along with local assessor's. This is the first time I have seen Mitch Daniels in person and I was impressed with him.Among the local politicians who were in attendance were Mayor McDermott,Frank Mrvan Sr.,Frank Mrvan Jr,Dan Stevenson and John Curley. At the start of the Q & A portion,pols were asked to speak after the audience had their chance to ask the Governor questions.This meant no one had to suffer through listening to Wes Miller or George Janiec.Speaking of Team Slumlord, when I walked up to the front, the first five rows on the right side of the auditorium had reserved signs on the seats. I assumed these seats had been set aside for students. As it turns out, those seats were set aside for Team Slumlord. That made it very easy to see they had less than 40 people in attedance. Jo Ann Pelko was the only one from the group to speak. She must have taken lessons from Wes Miller on how to talk without saying anything because even the Governor didn't understand her question,once she finally asked it. I did have a chance to ask the Governor two questions. I have to say I was really impressed with Governor Daniels. He is truly committed to making Indiana's government less costly.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School   Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty3/11/2009, 12:30 pm

I have to ask why the township government is in place when we have city, county, and state already? What are its functions?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School   Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty3/11/2009, 2:46 pm

paul87920 wrote:
I have to ask why the township government is in place when we have city, county, and state already? What are its functions?
IMO, it functions mainly as an employment agency for the family and friends of politicians.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School   Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty3/11/2009, 3:32 pm

Ok. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. What are its functions supposed to be?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School   Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty3/11/2009, 4:52 pm

In rural areas they provide ambulance and fire service. They also provide some poor relief.
In urban areas they are totally unneccessary as poor relief should be available from a central location, not many different entities that tell you to go everywhere else first.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School   Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty3/14/2009, 5:49 pm

Indiana needs to revamp it's layers of government agencies. SSA should be SSA. Food stamps & medicaid should follow FEDERAL REGULATIONS, in Indiana, which it does NOT, as I have learned from certain people.

It favors the gang-bangers, baby-churning mothers, and ignore the elderly. It should be one central place in each district, and run by FEDERAL employees, and not city-oriented employees. Maybe I am not understanding the deal here, but I see so many programs and places, that it should be combined in each county and regulated by the FEDS of the STATE.

One stop office only, like LEAP is in Illinois for the energy assistance. Township helps only the young. If they were to stay in existence, I would look into how IL runs their township and why. Though all townships everywhere, nationally should be eliminated, if you can't get rid of them, at least look at whatever state has the best utilization of that type of gov't service and better utilize the township in Hammond, and how it can/could make money instead of just spreading the wealth around. Focus on the elderly and disabled. Not the gang-bangers & the babies' mommas.

Thornton Township in Illinois serves mostly seniors. I get the idea in Hammond, it serves the younger ones. They don't have adequate transportation in place, when compared to Thornton Township in Illinois. Both are a waste, but if I were to start a business today, I would opt for the same version where private vans pick up and drop off service for small children, but target it for the elderly and handicapped only. There's a gold-mine in there for that need, and Hammond is ignoring it. With an organized route, and appts. taken two days ahead, with a small fee, it would make money and provide a much needed service.

Sometimes I see things happening where I know things could be run better. With less cost. It's just aggravating that you see so many duplicated services, where it would cost less, make more with someone coming in and showing them what to do. Obviously, the system is so antiquated, it's useless.

I have no idea what the hell that township is for, but it to me, is just duplication of services, and very limited in servicing. That's my perception of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School   Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School Empty

Back to top Go down

Mitch Daniels' public forum at Griffith High School
Page 1 of 1