Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sparks

Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty
PostSubject: Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package   Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty1/30/2009, 9:49 am

http://www.post-trib.com/news/1405204,gastimulus.article

Once the Senate approves the stimulus package, the school city of Gary is in line to receive $70 million dollars for school rebuilding. That isn't anywhere near the amount of money that is needed to upgrade all the schools buildings in Gary, but it is a good start.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package   Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty1/30/2009, 10:02 am

sparks wrote:
http://www.post-trib.com/news/1405204,gastimulus.article

Once the Senate approves the stimulus package, the school city of Gary is in line to receive $70 million dollars for school rebuilding. That isn't anywhere near the amount of money that is needed to upgrade all the schools buildings in Gary, but it is a good start.
For your information, Gary Schools are going to close many schools (around 20) because of low enrollment. Secondly, Gary just, in the past four years, build three brand new schools. Thirdly, and most importantly, their school board is in disarray, and don't have a clue as what they are doing.

Last edited by Admin on 1/30/2009, 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remove unwarranted attack. -Admin)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package   Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty1/30/2009, 10:43 am

How will they be able to hire any more than six or seven consultants on only $70,000,000?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package   Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty1/30/2009, 10:49 am

Gary is much like Hammond in that most of it's high schools need to be torn down.

Lew Wallace-built in 1926,last major renovation 1952

Roosevelt-built in 1930

Wirt-built in 1939

Westside-the newest major high school in Gary is 41 years old and in need of major work.

It is true that Gary's enrollment is declining and the new school board is closing schools. IMO,the new board is working hard to institute changes in that school system, starting with firing the old superintendent. I do not believe that declining enrollment is a reason to shortchange the approximately 4,000 students who are currently attending Gary high schools. I am glad to see that the federal government is willing to help Gary schools as the state has been totally unwilling to invest the money needed to build adequate schools for Gary students.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package   Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty1/30/2009, 2:46 pm

Sparks, no offense. Subscribe to the Federal Registar, and bid on some gov't contracts, using your electrical expertise.

Honestly, read where they need your skills, and you won't be focusing on Hammond schools. Go where they really need ya...be an outside contractor for the gov't.

I got the printing company out of a $26,000 in the HOLE back in the late seventies, and after subscribing to the Federal Register, I bid on printing jobs from the GPO, and a year later, we were $26,000 in profit, above the HOLE.

Schools don't make a difference if those kids in Gary aren't going to school. What makes you think Rudy ain't gonna dip in the pot, anyway. He'll divert the funds to add 6 more body-guards, cuz the crime rate will rise while school enrollment declines.

As far as Hammond, we have enough taken out of property taxes, and there should be a ding-dong school for the ding-dongs, and a school for those who carry a C and above average. I am scared for my neighbor's daughter....she goes to Gavit and the cops carry away the gang-bangers on a weekly basis. She stays to herself, but can you imagine how that disrupts the school day?

She's now 13, and I take her there, rather than have her walk; her father works nights...it's is scary seeing those kids with pants hanging half-way down their butts, in below zero weather with hoodies, going to school until they can drop out at 16. Yes, in Hammond. Ten trailers for the ding-dong-drop-out wannabees, and leave the schools for those who only maintain a C plus above average, that want to go to school and not be afraid.

Building a school without separating the idiots from those who are entitled to a school day without interruption isn't good enough. Buy a pre-fab building for the good kids, and throw the rest in double wide trailers. That's how I feel about it. A new building doesn't solve it. We went to schools built in the early 1950s. Did we die from it?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package   Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty1/30/2009, 3:06 pm

By the way, the Catholic school I attended from K thru 5th grade was built in the 1940's in Missouri. It churned out Rock Stars, lawyers, all of us scattered across the USA. All are successful. There was nothing but nuns, priests, steamed heat and bologna for the cafeteria.....and the windows were cranked windows that open horitonally, and today that school has only added air conditioning and continues to churn out STRAIGHT A students in 2008. They never altered that building... same windows are there. They added A/C - it's a small town, but it's the Quality of the TEACHERS that made a difference in their lives.

When I moved to Dolton and attended Lincoln School, well, I'm sure we were exposed to abestos, and they recently built a new one to replace the old one, but the test scores, I guarantee you are problably below average compared to when we went to school there. We had quality teachers, and we had fantastic principles...and we were expected to bring home A's or your butt got whipped. Everyone did their homework as soon as they got home, ate dinner together as a family, interacted with neighbors, and today, all you see are absentee parents looking at schools as babysitters.

The parents that don't care, don't give a damn what building you put their kid in...and if they drop out, you can almost guarantee that they encourage them to make a living by staking out, robbing or tipping other robber/friends about who comes and goes in the neighborhood.

I don't want a new school building until you expose how these kids' grades will rise, all of them, if they are promised a new building.

When I went to Thornridge, it was an era where they bussed the kids from Harvey to integrate, and bussed the white kids to Harvey. Who made all the trouble at Thornridge? Guess who. Who disrupted the classes? Guess who. They cut the school day in half, just to accommodate the idiots from Harvey who had no desire to act normal or try and accomplish good grades. You could figure on being picked on, bossed around, intimidated, and I didn't even want to attend graduation... I just wanted to get the hell out of there as fast as I could...I didn't care about walking on the stage for the diploma, but back then, you were not given that choice. I hated the trouble makers back then...can you imagine what our kids today are going through without enforced integration? Those idiots that go because they have to go until they can legally drop out are holding back the ones by disrupting the classcroom. I say separate them, then talk about how big of a new school you need.

After separating them, you can justify putting in a couple of ding-dong trailers for the gang-bangers, and pre-fabricated buildings for those that just want to succeed. Gone are the days of mixing both of them. It's not right anymore to think one building would serve all. Separate the troublemakers, from those successful students who take their studies seriously. You may as well be in Iraq the way the system works in the state of Indiana.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package   Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package Empty

Back to top Go down

Gary schools could receive $70 million from stimulus package
Page 1 of 1