Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cowboy Poets

Go down 
+7
BigWhiteGuy
Passion
Scorpion
UrRight
chuckmo48
Artie60438
happy jack
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 5:44 am

happy jack wrote:

I was simply parroting the same ridiculous question you asked about the Cowboy Poetry Festival.
The difference is that the Cowboy festival already exists and jobs will probably be lost. The Cubs are the ones proposing their own festivals and additional city services and taxpayer dollars will be needed to handle the extra crowds.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: temp   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 11:43 am

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:

I was simply parroting the same ridiculous question you asked about the Cowboy Poetry Festival.
The difference is that the Cowboy festival already exists and jobs will probably be lost. The Cubs are the ones proposing their own festivals and additional city services and taxpayer dollars will be needed to handle the extra crowds.
If the Cowboy Poetry Festival is as successful as you and Harry Reid claim it to be, then there is absolutely no reason why it should not continue to exist - on its own merits, and without need for federal assistance.
Right?
Which aspects or components of the festival are currently in dire need of funding anyway?
The paper on which the poems are written?
The pens and pencils with which the poems are written?
The Stetsons?
The boots?
The spurs?
The horse trough?
The hitchin' posts?
The chaps?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 4:08 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
...additional city services and taxpayer dollars will be needed to handle the extra crowds.
I find you to be quite inconsistent and quite hypocritical - you are vehemently opposed to taxpayer dollars going toward the Cubs' festivals, but you are all in favor of taxpayer dollars going toward the rootin'-tootin'-high-falutin' Cowboy Poetry Festival.
And WTF rhymes with yippee-yi-oh-ki-ay, anyway?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 5:03 pm

happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
...additional city services and taxpayer dollars will be needed to handle the extra crowds.
I find you to be quite inconsistent and quite hypocritical - you are vehemently opposed to taxpayer dollars going toward the Cubs' festivals, but you are all in favor of taxpayer dollars going toward the rootin'-tootin'-high-falutin' Cowboy Poetry Festival.
The poetry festival actually has some cultural significance and celebrates the Arts,while the Cubs fest is backed by a for profit corporation and is nothing more than a boozefest. Are you suggesting taxpayers dollars be used to subsidize a corporate event?
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 5:30 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
happy jack wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:
The poetry festival actually has some cultural significance and celebrates the Arts,while the Cubs fest is backed by a for profit corporation and is nothing more than a boozefest. Are you suggesting taxpayers dollars be used to subsidize a corporate event?

Of course I'm not suggesting that the federal government subsidize the Cubs' festivals. But you have been claiming that the Cowboy Poetry Festival is necessary to the local economy in that it creates jobs and allows people to patronize local businesses and lodging facilities.

Artie60438 wrote:
Thousands of people travel to Elko,NV to attend this. They spend money there by patronizing businesses and lodging facilities. How many jobs will be created by cutting the funding?

Aren't those people in Nevada operating their businesses "for profit"? And if they are, why the hell do they need help from the federal government? What makes them different than the local Chicago merchants who would profit from the Cubs' festivals?
You are a hypocrite of the highest order.

Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 6:03 pm

happy jack wrote:

The Stetsons?

"I wear a Stetson now... Stetsons are cool!"

OK. I admit it's a pretty obscure reference to most people, but I just want to see if anybody else "gets it."
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 6:33 pm

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:

The Stetsons?

"I wear a Stetson now... Stetsons are cool!"

OK. I admit it's a pretty obscure reference to most people, but I just want to see if anybody else "gets it."
Color me stumped.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 7:02 pm

Artie - I gotta tell ya - I really don't understand how you can defend this expenditure. I mean, I'm all for the Endowment for The Arts. I think that the Endowment is important enough regardless of whether jobs are created or not.

Tell me Artie, and be honest...Would you be vehemently defending this festival if it was Haley Barbour or Mike Huckabee who were singing the praises of it?

To put it bluntly, Harry Reid is a politically tone deaf idiot. I don't blame the Republicans for jumping all over this issue. Harry served this up to them on a silver platter.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that the "cowboys" only get around 7% of their funds from the Federal government, so it's not like the Cowboy Poetry Festival will no longer happen, so you needn't worry. As I understand it, the Endowment helped get this slice of Americana going years ago. Now it's pretty lucrative, and for whatever reason, quite popular.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/09/6229485-all-hat-and-no-cattle-cowboy-poetry-event-boss-talks-funding

Quote :
Charlie Seemann, the executive director of the Western Folklife Center in Elko, Nev., says that federal funding only made up about 7 percent of the funding for last year's event, which drew about 8000 attendees and involved thousands of local school children in 2010.

"We could certainly continue if we lose that funding, but we do see it as very valuable," to the survival of a community event that injects over $7 million into the state's economy over the course of one week, he said.

Yeah, I'lll bet that "Seemann" likes that 7%. But the show will go on without it.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 7:17 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Now it's pretty lucrative, and for whatever reason, quite popular.
Shucks, pardner - if ah haveta explain it to y'all, ah reckon y'all'll never unnerstand why we take such a dad-gummed powerful hankerin' to it.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 7:22 pm

happy jack wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Now it's pretty lucrative, and for whatever reason, quite popular.
Shucks, pardner - if ah haveta explain it to y'all, ah reckon y'all'll never unnerstand why we take such a dad-gummed powerful hankerin' to it.

Yeah. Well "different strokes for different folks," I guess....er I mean I reckon...
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/11/2011, 8:28 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Artie - I gotta tell ya - I really don't understand how you can defend this expenditure. I mean, I'm all for the Endowment for The Arts. I think that the Endowment is important enough regardless of whether jobs are created or not.
It's the war on the Arts and cutural activities as a whole I'm opposed to.
Quote :
Tell me Artie, and be honest...Would you be vehemently defending this festival if it was Haley Barbour or Mike Huckabee who were singing the praises of it?
Of course not,but I doubt those two would be for it or something similar.
Quote :
To put it bluntly, Harry Reid is a politically tone deaf idiot. I don't blame the Republicans for jumping all over this issue. Harry served this up to them on a silver platter.
Yeah well for the record I'm not a Reid fan either.
Quote :
Incidentally, I read somewhere that the "cowboys" only get around 7% of their funds from the Federal government, so it's not like the Cowboy Poetry Festival will no longer happen, so you needn't worry. As I understand it, the Endowment helped get this slice of Americana going years ago. Now it's pretty lucrative, and for whatever reason, quite popular.
That's good news. Thanks for the link below which I'm deleting for the sake of brevity.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/12/2011, 7:16 am

[quote="Artie60438"]
Scorpion wrote:
Would you be vehemently defending this festival if it was Haley Barbour or Mike Huckabee who were singing the praises of it?
Quote :

It's a good thing we're talking about cowboys, because that answer is 'Dodge' City.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/15/2011, 9:55 am

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
It's the war on the Arts and cutural activities as a whole I'm opposed to.
Quote :
Quote :
Yeah well for the record I'm not a Reid fan either.
Quote :
That's good news. Thanks for the link below which I'm deleting for the sake of brevity.
It's so cute the way you obediently dropped this topic like a hot potato right after Scorpion smacked you on the nose with his rolled up newspaper.

Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/15/2011, 7:43 pm

“John Boehner’s America is a land in which cowboys would be forced into back-alley poetry recitations.”
- Ted Kennedy
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/15/2011, 9:00 pm

happy jack wrote:
“John Boehner’s America is a land in which cowboys would be forced into back-alley poetry recitations.”
- Ted Kennedy

I was just going to ask you if you wrote this, but I see that it was Mary Katherine Ham...

It's pretty clever.
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/16/2011, 6:46 am

Scorpion wrote:
happy jack wrote:
- Ted Kennedy

I was just going to ask you if you wrote this, but I see that it was Mary Katherine Ham...

It's pretty clever.
Yeah, sorry - I meant to attribute the quote, but I must have hit 'send' before I made sure the link was posted.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/17/2011, 1:46 am

I feel like the opportunity has come and passed to opine on the topic of Cowboy Poets. I had something good I promise... Something along the lines of a certain type of cowboy. Bah! The moment has passed.

Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/17/2011, 1:50 am

Screw it. I gotta Haiku to share with everyone.

Any puddin left Al
It's in my bedroom silly
Yeehaw a live one
Back to top Go down
happy jack

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/18/2011, 4:27 pm

paul87920 wrote:
Screw it. I gotta Haiku to share with everyone.

Any puddin left Al
It's in my bedroom silly
Yeehaw a live one
paul: not to be nit-picky, but I believe that traditional haiku should have no more than 17 syllables, and yours has 18.
Perhaps if you were federally funded, you would have gotten it right, pardner.
Back to top Go down
Passion

Passion

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/18/2011, 8:19 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Passion wrote:

So what makes this a Federal issue? Nothing. Can there be anything that is more contrary to the cowboy way of life than taking money from the government?

If local business owners feel this is so vital to their local economy let them pony up or hold a benefit. Maybe even a cowboy cookoff. But please don't be shining us on about a need for Federal taxpayers to subsidize one city's local tourism.
It's not just this festival. It's about cutting the National Endowment for the Humanities which is an agency of the U.S. government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities. No jobs will be created as a result of defunding them and many will be lost.

Oh please! Big Bird is a millionaire. As far as click & clack the only vehicles you can self service anymore are more hobby cars that would never pass emissions tests without a waiver. Cash for Clunkers killed all the models in between.

No taxpayer money should go for PBS or the arts. They can be privately funded and do just fine. If not, then they don't need to be funded. Get the message? we don't have the money to sustain these various agencies and positions on the dole. But even if we did I'd still oppose it on principle.
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/18/2011, 10:42 pm

Broke Back Mountain.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/19/2011, 11:10 pm

I'll play:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/20/2011, 9:41 am

"You've Lost That Lovin' Money....now it's gone, gone, gone..."
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/20/2011, 9:47 am

I think Happy Jack would get upset more than anyone.

No funding for his National Endowment for Def Tents and Wiener Roasts.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty3/20/2011, 10:35 am

Passion wrote:
we don't have the money to sustain these various agencies and positions on the dole.

Defunding NPR won't save taxpayers money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cowboy Poets   Cowboy Poets - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cowboy Poets
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: