Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

"Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty
PostSubject: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/6/2009, 5:14 pm

http://www.suntimes.com/news/huntley/1808020,CST-EDT-HUNT06.article

October 6, 2009

BY STEVE HUNTLEY

Illinois persists in clinging to a long, if unattractive tradition of looking down our noses at Indiana. If our recent record of corruption has done nothing to shake this bias, now comes the realization that Hoosier government maintains faith with its taxpayers in a way we can only envy.

Indiana has gone from a $700 million debt to a $1 billion reserve. Its low-tax policies have been rewarded with $8 billion in foreign investment in the last two years. Census figures put Indiana as one of only three states to reverse its population out-migration. In contrast, Illinois government is drowning in $4.6 billion in red ink, and the deficit could hit $10.2 billion next year. The Land of Lincoln has fallen from 23rd to 30th in the nonpartisan Tax Foundation's ranking of state business climates. We are one of a handful of states with fewer jobs today than in 1999.

Like the country, Hoosiers suffer under the Great Recession, especially the 9.9 percent unemployed. Business commitments for $1.28 billion in investments and 14,000 jobs are down from last year. But the credit for Indiana bucking the dreary trend of financially failing states goes to Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels, elected in 2004 after 16 years of Democrat rule. Called "The Blade" as President George W. Bush's budget director, he took a knife to state spending. For example, in the 2009 budget, Daniels used a gubernatorial prerogative to cut $800 million in spending approved by legislators.

He has sliced Indiana's annual rate of spending growth to 2.8 percent from 5.9 percent. In Illinois, spending soared 39 percent, after inflation, over 10 years. Daniels cut 5,000 state positions while adding 1,050 child-protection workers and state troopers. He did allow a sales tax hike to 7 percent, but capped property taxes.

Daniels was in Chicago last week to address an audience eager to hear Indiana's story, the nonpartisan Illinois Policy Institute. "Our goal is to raise the net disposable income of Hoosiers," he said. "Government's role is to create the conditions where free men and women can create wealth."

Daniels travels his state on a Harley motorcycle listening to Hoosiers and advocating solutions. While cautioning that he's "guarded about what works in Indiana working elsewhere," he noted he espouses "fundamental principles that people have to relearn" after years of unchecked government check-writing.

Clearly his message is one Illinois Republicans embrace. Ask what's the big issue for the 2010 elections, and new state GOP Chairman Pat Brady says, "Jobs -- that's what I hear everywhere." It outranks corruption, though graft contributes to a poor business climate. Illinois House Minority Leader Tom Cross wryly observes Republicans can focus on jobs while Rod Blagojevich's trial next year will keep Democrat corruption in voters' minds.

Brady relishes that the leading Democratic gubernatorial candidates, Gov. Quinn and Comptroller Dan Hynes, push job-killing income tax increases in a recession.

No one likes taxes, but recall that Illinois voters in 1990 elected a governor, a Republican, who campaigned on making a temporary income tax surcharge permanent. And these two Democrats can make the tax argument as well as anyone. Quinn, as one Republican lawmaker told me, projects a strong aura of "sincerity" that helps his cause. And few know government finances like Hynes, who also has a record of opposing profligate spending. He comes to the table with a detailed plan that first cuts state spending to 2005 levels before he would raise taxes.

Quinn and Hynes push differing proposals that both claim will shift the tax burden to the rich. But Daniels reminds that's who creates jobs. "There's no way you tax a weak economy more and don't hurt poor people," he said.

He's certainly right that the best system for all is one of low taxes spread over a large base so the tax burden doesn't harm economic innovation. That's the welcome mat Indiana lays down. Illinois has a different message, says Policy Institute CEO John Tillman: "We greet entrepreneurs with a hand in their wallet."

What is your view????
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/6/2009, 6:09 pm

Without that 3.8 billion toll road lease Indiana would be in deep doo doo too. Selling off a valuable asset reeks of desperation,not leadership or ingenuity.
Back to top Go down
Passion

Passion

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/6/2009, 6:49 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Without that 3.8 billion toll road lease Indiana would be in deep doo doo too. Selling off a valuable asset reeks of desperation,not leadership or ingenuity.

Perhaps but Daniels doesn't have the option of printing money like there was no tomorrow like a certain other politician seems to be doing. LOL
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/6/2009, 6:58 pm

Passion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Perhaps but Daniels doesn't have the option of printing money like there was no tomorrow like a certain other politician seems to be doing. LOL

Obama? I don't think he's planning to lease our ports to Dubai like Bush wanted.
Back to top Go down
Passion

Passion

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/6/2009, 7:38 pm

Na, he just opened the floodgates on spending and told Treasury to keep them money presses running overtime. LOL

You do realize that fiat money is not going to have good buying power when you owe everyone and the odds of fully paying off your outstanding debts is almost nil, right?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/6/2009, 9:34 pm

Passion wrote:
Na, he just opened the floodgates on spending and told Treasury to keep them money presses running overtime. LOL

You do realize that fiat money is not going to have good buying power when you owe everyone and the odds of fully paying off your outstanding debts is almost nil, right?

Which is what my politically minded, following the stock markets, said.

I reminded him that Mitch has that toll-way money stashed, and that's the reason why he says we have money in the RED. My brother said, "Good for him, at least he knows how to not spend it foolishly like Illinois."

I reminded him that Mitch said it was "Rainy Day Funds". My brother said, "How many times did it rain, and Indiana survived"?

How many times has it "SPRINKLED," and Obama printed money? He went on to say that Mitch was doing the right thing. Reigned in the money and too bad the "rest of the nation doesn't learn from this".

I used to criticize Mitch for holding onto that money, but I imagine it's accumulating interest. I personally liked the fact that IL called upon him for HIS opinion. He must be doing something right. :bball:
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/7/2009, 8:21 pm

I forgot..Red means you are in the hole. Black means you're ok..right? Well, anyway, if they only knew, but maybe Mitch is right.

Taxing the wealthy that provide the jobs?

Taxing us to hold up banks, cash for clunkers, the auto industry, the what'ever? Which is it?

I'm getting wrinkled and my mind is getting tired. I don't know what the hell these politicians are doing today, except making us bleed more.

They just gave out more bonuses to the bank CEO's.

The banks still will not lend out money.

So, where in the circle does it end?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty10/13/2009, 11:02 pm

And no one, left. right. center, bothered to respond. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"   "Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Hoosiers Know How To Take Care of Business"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Indiana/Illinois :: Statewide Indiana-
Jump to: