Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hammond City Court ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
voter3

Hammond City Court ? Empty
PostSubject: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/20/2009, 7:21 am

What is the consensus out there regarding shutting Hammond City Court? I deal with the courts every week aqnd have no complaints but I also feel that we could easily adapt to any type of hearing for the reasons we are there. I do know that when I go through Munster I obey the rules of the road so I dont have to go to Crown Point to deal with a ticket !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/20/2009, 7:32 am

KEEP THE COURT !!!
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/20/2009, 5:38 pm

Close the Hammond court down ASAP. The money that is being spent to support that court would benefit far more residents if it was invested in the parks. Imagine what Hammond's parks could look like in ten years if they had an additional $2 million a year to spend on capital projects. We could have several baseball complexes like Optimist Park. The city could build indoor tennis courts, rehab their pools, add soccer fields and skate parks. Since the county will pick up the functions of the courts, why keep it? Most residents receive no benefit from the city spending $ 2 million a year for an unnecessary court.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/20/2009, 8:18 pm

My understanding was that the court was self-supporting. Was I wrong?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/21/2009, 6:12 am

Bill B wrote:
My understanding was that the court was self-supporting. Was I wrong?
Here is the link for the Times story about closing the Hammond city court. It costs taxpayers over $2 million a year for it. Closing the court will have a positive impact on Hammond and I urge everyone to call their councilmen and urge them to support the Mayor on this issue.
Quote :
The Hammond City Court's obituary may be written within the Lake County government's 2010 budget.
Lake County Council President Larry Blanchard, R-Crown Point, said they have prepared next year's spending plans on the assumption the county will take over the caseload of Hammond's municipal court, a move that will shift about $2.5 million in court operations off the backs of city residents and onto those of every taxpayer in the county.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/22/2009, 7:13 am

Tiger1 wrote:
KEEP THE COURT !!!

WHY?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/22/2009, 7:35 am

voter3 wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
KEEP THE COURT !!!

WHY?

With all the minor offenses that fill the dockets, small claims, and other court cases, the court is generating revenue for the city. I believe that the court is NOT costing us anything, with all the revenue coming in.

Also, for the minor stuff, especially code enforcement, do you really want to go all the way to Crown Point for this??? What about all the minor traffic violations, like parking tickets? What about the seatbelt blitzes? That revenue will no longer stay in Hammond, will it???
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/22/2009, 8:47 am

Tiger1 wrote:
voter3 wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
KEEP THE COURT !!!

WHY?

With all the minor offenses that fill the dockets, small claims, and other court cases, the court is generating revenue for the city. I believe that the court is NOT costing us anything, with all the revenue coming in.

Well if that's true then Harkin and his staff should just release the statistics to back up those claims.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/22/2009, 3:52 pm

That revenue doesnt stay in Hammond anyway...show me how much the city actually made from traffic tickets and seat belt blitzes. As far as code enforcement it has always been my goal to get compliance instead of money! I dont see any benefit if there is a fine in place and the house remains dilapidated...tiger you should know that first hand!! We would get by fine with an impartial hearing officer.
Back to top Go down
FFScott

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/23/2009, 8:11 am

I like Judge Harkin personally and probably know some of the court workers too. But given the choice of police officers and fire fighters who cant be replaced by county effectively - the choice is easy.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty7/23/2009, 10:00 am

What I find ironic is that a poster like Tiger1, who feels her property taxes are far too high, wants to keep this court. At a cost of over $ 2 million a year, it's a luxury Hammond doesn't need and can't afford.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hammond City Court ?   Hammond City Court ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Hammond City Court ?
Page 1 of 1