Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cheney's Getting There

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
paul87920

paul87920

Cheney's Getting There Empty
PostSubject: Cheney's Getting There   Cheney's Getting There Empty6/1/2009, 6:02 pm

Supporting Same Sex Marriage

Quote :
Dick Cheney rarely takes a position that places him at a more progressive tilt than President Obama. But on Monday, the former vice president did just that, saying that he supports gay marriage as long as it is deemed legal by state and not federal government.

I'm for it being supported on the federal level, but I've got to take my hat of to Cheney for making such a bold statement considering his position as a staunch conservative. Personally, I think supporting same sex marriage can be a conservative position as it promotes monogamy amongst a group of people that have been stereotyped as being anything but monogamous. I don't see a person in a nightclub with a new partner every night being sexually promiscuous as something beneficial to the LGBT community or society in general.

Quote :
Caught up in the debate is the Obama administration. The president has said he supports civil unions for gay couples but that he remains committed to marriage being between and man and woman. His press department has been completely quiet about the recent California Supreme Court case upholding a ban on gay marriage in the state -- something that, it seems, Cheney would object to in spirit if not law.

I sometimes question whether Obama believes more in doing what's popular than he does in doing what is right.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Cheney's Getting There   Cheney's Getting There Empty6/2/2009, 6:42 am

In the current issue of Time magazine,there is a very good article that discusses gay rights.
Here is the story
Quote :
It's possible that the real battle will be in the gray areas, a fight more practical than ideological. As long as the laws are a patchwork, gay couples will face nasty tangles of rules and regulations if they move, separate or remarry. The 18,000 California couples who wed before Proposition 8 was passed remain legally married, but no one really knows the status of gay spouses who have moved to California from elsewhere (Iowa, Connecticut, Maine or Massachusetts, not to mention all of Canada). At least that will be true until the issue reaches a place that even California's ballot-crazy voters can't touch: the U.S. Supreme Court. But as with desegregation and abortion, a court ruling won't change attitudes overnight.
As the story points out, until gay marriage is addressed on the federal level, gays will continue to be denied rights that heterosexual couples receive. By refusing to support gay marriage on the federal level, Dick Cheney is just supporting the status quo. That's not change at all.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Cheney's Getting There   Cheney's Getting There Empty6/2/2009, 7:57 am

sparks wrote:
By refusing to support gay marriage on the federal level, Dick Cheney is just supporting the status quo. That's not change at all.

By refusing it all together what's Obama supporting then?
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Cheney's Getting There   Cheney's Getting There Empty6/3/2009, 6:13 am

paul87920 wrote:
sparks wrote:
By refusing to support gay marriage on the federal level, Dick Cheney is just supporting the status quo. That's not change at all.

I think there are far more important issues that the President should be and is focusing on. Dealing with the economy, enacting a national healthcare plan, lowering greenhouse gas emissions and creating an intelligent energy policy will benefit all Americans. The gay marriage issue is not something Obama campaigned on and I don't expect to see much support from the White House for it.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Cheney's Getting There   Cheney's Getting There Empty6/3/2009, 1:24 pm

sparks wrote:
paul87920 wrote:
sparks wrote:

I think there are far more important issues that the President should be and is focusing on. Dealing with the economy, enacting a national healthcare plan, lowering greenhouse gas emissions and creating an intelligent energy policy will benefit all Americans. The gay marriage issue is not something Obama campaigned on and I don't expect to see much support from the White House for it.

Then, I honestly don't see where you get off accusing Cheney of supporting the status quo. Based on what you've just said, Obama is much worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheney's Getting There   Cheney's Getting There Empty

Back to top Go down

Cheney's Getting There
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Let Freedom Reign! :: Nation/Other :: Nation/World-
Jump to: