Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Republicans...Then and Now

Go down 
+3
edge540
paul87920
Artie60438
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Artie60438

Republicans...Then and Now Empty
PostSubject: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty3/31/2009, 10:48 am

Mitch McConnell, Then And Now
by BarbinMD
Mon Mar 30, 2009 at 03:20:04 PM PDT

Yesterday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was on CNN's State of the Nation, whining that:

Quote :
I must say I'm disappointed. After two months, the president has not governed in the middle as I had hoped he would. But it's not too late. He's only been in office a couple of months. Still before him are the opportunities to deal with us on a truly bipartisan basis.

And back when Republicans controlled the White House, Senate and the House?
Quote :
How can we have bipartisanship in the Congress if Democrats won't take 'yes' for an answer?
Hypocrite.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/3/30/714671/-Mitch-McConnell,-Then-And-Now

Last edited by Artie60438 on 3/31/2009, 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added url)
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty3/31/2009, 12:42 pm

I don't know if he is a hypocrite. I don't remember the Republicans running on claims of bipartisanship. President Obama did. However with that being said, I feel that President Obama is working with both sides.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty3/31/2009, 12:54 pm

paul87920 wrote:
I don't know if he is a hypocrite. I don't remember the Republicans running on claims of bipartisanship. President Obama did. However with that being said, I feel that President Obama is working with both sides.

Paul, Do you remember "I'm a Uniter not a divider" crap we heard all through the 2000 campaign? Then there was this....

November 11, 2000
Web posted at: 4:31 p.m. EST (2131 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Freshman Congresswoman Melissa Hart delivered the Republican Party's weekly radio address Saturday, emphasizing a pledge to work in a bipartisan fashion.

The Pennsylvania Republican said that despite the nation's prosperity, challenges remained that could be met by working together.

"As I campaigned over the last year and a half, there was one message I heard loud and clear from Republicans, Democrats and independents alike -- that the time has come to move away from partisan bickering and political gamesmanship," Hart said.
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/11/11/gop.radio/index.html
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 7:49 am

The Evolution Of John McCain

"But we are not asked to judge the President's character flaws. We are asked to judge whether the President, who swore an oath to faithfully execute his office, deliberately subverted--for whatever purpose--the rule of law," - John McCain arguing for the impeachment of Bill Clinton for perjury in a civil suit, February 1999.

"Anyone who knows what waterboarding is could not be unsure. It is a horrible torture technique used by Pol Pot," - John McCain, October 2007.

"We've got to move on," - John McCain, April 26, 2009, reacting to incontrovertible proof that George W. Bush ordered the waterboarding of a prisoner 183 times, as well as broader treatment that the Red Cross has called "unequivocally torture."
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/04/the-evolution-of-john-mccain.html
Back to top Go down
edge540

edge540

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 12:21 pm

Holy crap Batman... & what was it that Turd Blossom said about a "permanent Republican majority?" ...LOL
Quote :
GOP Sen. Arlen Specter switches parties
April 28, 2009 - 12:55pm.
By DAVID ESPO

Veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter disclosed plans Tuesday to switch parties, a move intended to boost his chances of winning re-election next year that will also push Democrats closer to a 60-vote filibuster-resistant majority.

"I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," Specter said in a statement posted on a Web site devoted to Pennsylvania politics and confirmed by his office. Several Senate officials said a formal announcement could come later in the day or Wednesday...
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 12:46 pm

edge540 wrote:
Holy crap Batman... & what was it that Turd Blossom said about a "permanent Republican majority?" ...LOL
Quote :
GOP Sen. Arlen Specter switches parties
April 28, 2009 - 12:55pm.
By DAVID ESPO

Veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter disclosed plans Tuesday to switch parties, a move intended to boost his chances of winning re-election next year that will also push Democrats closer to a 60-vote filibuster-resistant majority.

"I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," Specter said in a statement posted on a Web site devoted to Pennsylvania politics and confirmed by his office. Several Senate officials said a formal announcement could come later in the day or Wednesday...

Wow - This is frickin' awesome news. I know the GOP has been blasting him ever since his vote on the Stimulus package, but the relationship actually started to sour when the Conservatives tried to deny him the Chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee, back in 2004.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-11-08-specter_x.htm

In any case, I've always thought that Specter had more in common with the Democratic Party anyway. This move is long overdue.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 2:37 pm

Scorpion wrote:

In any case, I've always thought that Specter had more in common with the Democratic Party anyway. This move is long overdue.

I'd still like to take Specter out in the primary. While I'm glad that he switched,I just hope we don't end up with another Joe Lieberman.

Now we need to pressure the R's to seat Al Franken or else. The "else" being that we can block a resolution to reassign Specter's committee seats.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 3:23 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

I'd still like to take Specter out in the primary. While I'm glad that he switched,I just hope we don't end up with another Joe Lieberman.

IMHO, the Democrats should back Specter in the primary. Specter is not at all like Lieberman. Lieberman is a weasel, and he always has been. At least Specter has some integrity.

Artie60438 wrote:

Now we need to pressure the R's to seat Al Franken or else. The "else" being that we can block a resolution to reassign Specter's committee seats.

What resolution are you referring to?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 4:24 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

IMHO, the Democrats should back Specter in the primary. Specter is not at all like Lieberman. Lieberman is a weasel, and he always has been. At least Specter has some integrity.

I don't know about that integrity. He switched to get reelected. If the R's are running a wingnut then I'd like to see a real Dem challenge Spector. OTOH,Maybe I should wait to see how he operates as a Democrat.

Artie60438 wrote:

Scorpion wrote:

Memo to GOP: Seat Franken or we'll keep Specter's committee seats

Last edited by Artie60438 on 4/28/2009, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added:OTOH,Maybe I should wait to see how he operates as a Democrat.)
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 6:22 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

I don't know about that integrity. He switched to get reelected.

I don't know what you're talking about. Senator Specter has been a Republican since 1966, and until today, was the fifth most senior Republican in the Senate.

Artie60438 wrote:

Scorpion wrote:

Artie60438 wrote:

Memo to GOP: Seat Franken or we'll keep Specter's committee seats

Franken will be seated when the Minnesota Governor and Secretary of State sign the election certificate, which presumably will occur when the Minnesota Supreme Court finishes its review of the case and issues its ruling.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what the US Senate does. Franken won't be a Senator until the State of Minnesota issues the certification.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 7:01 pm

Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about. Senator Specter has been a Republican since 1966, and until today, was the fifth most senior Republican in the Senate.

He was going to face a tough primary challenge. The R's were targeting him because he voted for the stimulus. You can read more Conservatives Bet on Ousting Specter in 2010

Now even if he did survive a primary he would have had to spend a whole lot of money in the process. Dems are already out raising Repub senatorial candidates,so he'd have been at a big disadvantage moneywise in the general. Besides that,he couldn't run as an independent,ala Lieberman,if he lost because Pa law forbids it. Democrats in Pa also have over 1,000,000 more voters then Repubs registered, I believe.

Finally,here's another chapter of "Republicans..then and now" Specter condemned Jim Jeffords' party switch in 2001

All I see is a political opportunist here who's a little short on integrity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 7:08 pm

A dino RINO turning into dino DINO- say it ain't so joe! Wink
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 7:24 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
A dino RINO turning into dino DINO- say it ain't so joe! Wink

I think Specter is going to be sent to the same charm school that we sent Lieberman to when he was scared of losing his chairmanship. Wink He's been pretty quiet since.

Last edited by Artie60438 on 4/28/2009, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
Scorpion

Scorpion

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 8:21 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

He was going to face a tough primary challenge. The R's were targeting him because he voted for the stimulus. You can read more Conservatives Bet on Ousting Specter in 2010

Now even if he did survive a primary he would have had to spend a whole lot of money in the process. Dems are already out raising Repub senatorial candidates,so he'd have been at a big disadvantage moneywise in the general. Besides that,he couldn't run as an independent,ala Lieberman,if he lost because Pa law forbids it. Democrats in Pa also have over 1,000,000 more voters then Repubs registered, I believe.

Finally,here's another chapter of "Republicans..then and now" Specter condemned Jim Jeffords' party switch in 2001

All I see is a political opportunist here who's a little short on integrity.

Yeah, well I'm well aware of Specter's history, and the political situation that he was in, so the links weren't really necessary, but thanks anyway. I thought that you were saying that Specter had changed his party in a previous Senate reelection campaign. Sorry for the confusion.

IMHO, Specter is a really good Senator, and now that he is freed from the Republican Caucus, he will be a reliable vote when the Democrats need him. There are some very important votes coming up in the next few months. This is all very good news for Democrats.

All politicians are opportunists, that's just the nature of politics. But I have no reason to question the man's integrity. As Senator Leahy said, the Republican party left Specter, so Specter left the party. When a Senator as senior as Specter leaves the party, it speaks volumes about just how marginalized the shrinking GOP is becoming, and I gotta tell ya, the Republicans had better find a way to appeal to a larger constituency, or they will soon be irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty4/28/2009, 9:29 pm

Scorpion wrote:

IMHO, Specter is a really good Senator, and now that he is freed from the Republican Caucus, he will be a reliable vote when the Democrats need him. There are some very important votes coming up in the next few months. This is all very good news for Democrats.

I hope you're right and that he votes with us regularly but after the Judd Gregg fiasco I'm very hesitant to trust any Republican.

Quote :
All politicians are opportunists, that's just the nature of politics. But I have no reason to question the man's integrity. As Senator Leahy said, the Republican party left Specter, so Specter left the party. When a Senator as senior as Specter leaves the party, it speaks volumes about just how marginalized the shrinking GOP is becoming, and I gotta tell ya, the Republicans had better find a way to appeal to a larger constituency, or they will soon be irrelevant.

Despite the way I feel about how much Specter will help us,this is absolutely horrible news for the Repubs. They've sent a clear message that there is no room for moderates in their party and that any sign of bipartisanship will result in their being targeted for defeat in a primary. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see their approval ratings go down even more as a result of this,especially if the usual gasbags start a full fledged attack.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty6/29/2009, 1:52 pm

Sanford's not resigning either,so we'll have many more months to kick him around and remind voters of what hypocrites Repubs are.....

IOKIYAR
by Jed Lewison
Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 10:00:07 AM PDT

Here's Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour,the ethically challenged incoming chairman of the Republican Governors Association, on Face the Nation yesterday:
Quote :

BOB SCHIEFFER: This seems to go beyond just the fact that, you know, he became involved in this relationship. He was basically missing in action for five days. ... Isn’t this more than just a sex scandal here? I mean, this is dereliction of duty, isn’t it?

GOV. HALEY BARBOUR: You know, Bob, I don’t know all the details. But I’ve been in politics a long time. I’ve made it my policy, I just don’t talk about people’s personal problems. I don’t-- I don’t think it’s appropriate, I don’t think it’s polite, and I don’t think it-- it achieves any purpose.

Note that Schieffer never asked Barbour to comment on Sanford's personal life. In fact, Schieffer was referring to Sanford's public lapses, not his private ones -- yet Barbour still refused to answer.

Of course, the other thing about Barbour's non-answer is that it was a complete lie. He was more than happy to discuss President Clinton's sexual misconduct in quite graphic terms. Here he is on September 15, 1998, appearing on Fox's "Special Report with Brit Hume":

Quote :
HALEY BARBOUR: And now we have this president who treated Monica Lewinsky in such a way that it makes prostitution look dignified and ennobling. I mean, he made her a sex toy, a sex object. And now what do these women say? That it doesn't make any difference?

The American people hear that with a voice louder than a bolt of lightning and thunder when these same people never say one word about the way that this young woman was treated, when they've spent their whole careers complaining about it when it was the president of a company or a Republican Senator or a possible judge? The public sees through that like nothing you ever saw.

It never fails with them.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/6/28/747874/-IOKIYAR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty6/29/2009, 2:10 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
Sanford's not resigning either,so we'll have many more months to kick him around and remind voters of what hypocrites Repubs are.....

Let's not forget about the hypocrisy in the Democratic party- There will be no taxes raised on those making $250K, uh no, $200K, uh no, well, uh, I guess we'll just see when I make up my mind....
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty6/29/2009, 2:54 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
Artie60438 wrote:

Let's not forget about the hypocrisy in the Democratic party- There will be no taxes raised on those making $250K, uh no, $200K, uh no, well, uh, I guess we'll just see when I make up my mind....

Mama,"Not ruling out an increase" and actually implementing it are 2 completely different things. The Obama administration is smart to leave all their options open,instead of drawing a line in the sand,or my way or the highway,like Bush used to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty6/29/2009, 4:48 pm

You're right, we'll have to wait and see, although I for one won't be holding my breath. He's a politician and does what most politicians do to get the vote- lie. First it was out of the question, now it's on the table. So will YOU be outraged when he breaks that pledge?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty6/30/2009, 10:08 am

Ohhmama wrote:
You're right, we'll have to wait and see, although I for one won't be holding my breath. He's a politician and does what most politicians do to get the vote- lie. First it was out of the question, now it's on the table. So will YOU be outraged when he breaks that pledge?

It depends on what it entails and how much it is for the greater good.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty10/14/2009, 3:35 pm

Why this idiot is still the House GOP leader after 2 horrific election cycles absolutely baffles me,but I'm certainly not complaining.....Smile

John Boehner Then And Now
by BarbinMD
Wed Oct 14, 2009 at 12:50:04 PM PDT

Good news:
Quote :

The Dow Jones Industrial Average hit the 10000 mark briefly Wednesday afternoon for the first time in a year, as surprisingly positive earnings reports from Inteland J.P. Morgan Chasehelped fuel already recovering global economic sentiment.

The Dow had been flirting with the 10000 level throughout the session, and finally reached the psychologically important mark around 1:22 p.m.
And while we can't expect Republicans to celebrate this news like, say for instance, they would celebrate the United States losing out on a bid to host the Olympics, this is ridiculous par for the course:

Quote :
Dow 10,000 just isn't that big a deal, House Republican leader John Boehner said Wednesday morning.

And anyone who places significance on the stock market hitting this symbolic number is "certainly not talking to the American people."

Of course the tanned one was singing a different tune in October, 2008 (via a Nexis search):

Quote :
"I do think that the big [stock market] drop on Monday really had a chilling effect on a lot of our members and a lot of their constituents," Boehner said on Fox News.

... and in March, 2009:

Quote :
Political operatives in the White House are trying to divert attention away from the challenges facing our economy, the sinking stock market, and the irresponsible spending binge they are presiding over. This diversionary tactic will not create a single job or help a single family struggling in today's economic crisis. That's where our focus should be.

Who's diverting attention now, Mr. Boehner?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty12/22/2009, 6:15 pm

We aren't going to miss a guy that votes with the wingnuts anyway but this is a hoot...

Now This Is Embarrassing
by BarbinMD
Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 03:48:04 PM PST

Republicans are lining up to welcome Parker Griffith (R-AL), the party-switching congressman, into the fold:

Quote :
Republicans who desperately wanted to beat Alabama Democrat Parker Griffith next year are loving him today.

House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) touted Griffith as a "dedicated public servant who has consistently put the best interests of his constituents first." Pete Sessions, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said Griffith is putting the "interests of his constituents ahead of Nancy Pelosi’s reckless ideological agenda." Republican Whip Eric Cantor says Griffith is ready to "stand and fight" with his new party.
That's today -- this was last year:

Shameful conduct ... he can't be trusted. Comedy.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/12/22/818097/-Now-This-Is-Embarrassing
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty12/28/2009, 3:55 pm

Backtrack
by Jed Lewison
Mon Dec 28, 2009 at 09:00:04 AM PST

Must be a bad case of selective amnesia amongst Republicans:

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) yesterday on his infamous "Waterloo" comment:

I never wanted to break the President.

DeMint on July 17, 2009:

If we're able to stop Obama on this [health care reform], it will be his Waterloo. It will break him.

Uh, hate to break it you Jim, but not only did you lie yesterday, you didn't stop President Obama, and if it's going to be anybody's Waterloo, it's going to be yours.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/12/22/817912/-Backtrack
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty12/28/2009, 4:03 pm

Artie, no difference between Republicans and Democrats anymore. Can't trust no one.

Look what happened just Christmas day when the idiot boarded the plane.

The politicians are too busy placing blame, and not one PRESIDENT, VP or any significant other came forward to address the nation on terrorists. Until the idiot whatever her name is, came up with some stupid response I could think of BETTER.

Obamba is on vacation. VP is where? We're going down in a hell-basket. No one has their priorities right. Not even the President.

I could point out a lot of things, but I heard enough on the news where I don't care to know negative stuff anymore. It depresses me.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty12/28/2009, 5:26 pm

UrRight wrote:

Look what happened just Christmas day when the idiot boarded the plane.

The politicians are too busy placing blame, and not one PRESIDENT, VP or any significant other came forward to address the nation on terrorists. Until the idiot whatever her name is, came up with some stupid response I could think of BETTER.

Personally, I thought it was refreshing breath of fresh air not to have a President exploit an incident like this for political purposes like the last administration would have certainly done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Republicans...Then and Now   Republicans...Then and Now Empty

Back to top Go down

Republicans...Then and Now
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next