Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sparks

From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty
PostSubject: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/20/2009, 5:12 pm

This guy is going from making $750,000/yr on Wall Street to delivering pizzas. If he had worked for AIG, we'd be paying him a bonus for being incompetent. I don't think your average American is going to have too much sympathy for these newly "poor" Wall Street types. If they hadn't been so busy touting the companies exporting our jobs, maybe they could find a job that pays enough to put a roof over their head.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=12586266
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/20/2009, 5:29 pm

sparks wrote:
This guy is going from making $750,000/yr on Wall Street to delivering pizzas. If he had worked for AIG, we'd be paying him a bonus for being incompetent. I don't think your average American is going to have too much sympathy for these newly "poor" Wall Street types. If they hadn't been so busy touting the companies exporting our jobs, maybe they could find a job that pays enough to put a roof over their head.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=12586266

If there was a Nobel prize for failure based on greed and stupidity this guy would be a heavy favorite to win. How he was able to accomplish this feat without a drug,booze,or gambling problem to help him flush money down the drain is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 2:01 am

How the hell did he lose all of his money? I could probably live a good 15 years off of $750000 without doing anything...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:21 am

paul87920 wrote:
How the hell did he lose all of his money? I could probably live a good 15 years off of $750000 without doing anything...

He went into business for himself at the worst possible time and went broke. As for the $100k in credit card debt keep in mind that if that's including the penalties and fees it doesn't take long to double. As I have often said the credit card contracts are unfair because when you really cannot pay in the first place they make it almost impossible to get caught up. Now there's a real racket for ya! But hey, you just bailed them guys out, lucky you. Razz

Talk about a cold hearted bunch here! Just going by the clip this guy hardly sounds like the money grubbing scum class. He was an institutional investment manager. And he was apparently good at it. But with the market tanking who's putting their money into the market these days?

Had this story been about a commercial electrician or an independent plumber it probably wouldn't have been national news (with apologies to Joe the plumber) and you'd all be crying right along with him at his plight. But because he had a better paying job it's time to kick the guy while he's down, I guess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 7:19 am

Maybe they should unionize the investment firms to protect these guys?? Shocked
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 8:11 am

Ohhmama wrote:
Like that will happen. Guys like this are part of the conservative base who have want to see unions destroyed in this country. Citibank has contributed millions to defeat the Employee Free Choice act. We're at a turning point in this country. We need to stop sending our jobs overseas and destroying the middle class. If doing that causes Wall Street some discomfort,too bad! Shit happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 8:21 am

sparks wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:
Like that will happen. Guys like this are part of the conservative base who have want to see unions destroyed in this country. Citibank has contributed millions to defeat the Employee Free Choice act. We're at a turning point in this country. We need to stop sending our jobs overseas and destroying the middle class. If doing that causes Wall Street some discomfort,too bad! Shit happens.
Our jobs went overseas because our unskilled and skilled labor force is hugely over compensated. If getting rid of the unions will work, so be it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 9:28 am

See here's the problem. And I'm sorry the unions dropped the ball here a while back. Remember those pro union consumer spots? Buy American! & the union label and all that all that. Of course that's back when Wal*Mart was selling American too, so it was quite a while ago.

The failing of unions in manufacturing is when, we'll say, the marketplace changed from superior quality at a fair price and was replaced by fair quality at a cheap price along with a lack of appreciation for quality customer support.

I mostly buy my meat from a stand alone butcher shop just to get what I consider quality & value, but most head on down to Aldi or Food4Less for their sale prices on what I call inferior quality goods. Not to say I never ever buy anything from Aldi or other deemed value stores. It's just not my 1st choice.

As time went on (remember first it was Japan, then Korea, now China) the quality of foreign produced goods improved while the cost to produce the same items in the US became cost prohibitive. And yes I've overly generalizing.

Ironically with China today we have some fairly good products coming in but also a whole lot of bottom line driven cheap junk that keeps nabbing the headlines for one problem or another.

You can't really buy a true American car today despite all those concerns about union US auto workers. The irony is there are some Japanese names that are more American built. But regardless you won't get BMW quality out of a Caddy because even if it would sell at the price needed to do it US automakers know that if they build them too good there would be too little turnover to keep the people buying. So it isn't cost effective.

The people who can afford and choose to buy $100k+ cars don't just like blowing money. It's a matter of fine quality. But all said & done high wages for American quality moved us towards cost cutting measures to keep up mass production to keep everybody working.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 11:31 am

Mirage wrote:
paul87920 wrote:

He went into business for himself at the worst possible time and went broke. As for the $100k in credit card debt keep in mind that if that's including the penalties and fees it doesn't take long to double. As I have often said the credit card contracts are unfair because when you really cannot pay in the first place they make it almost impossible to get caught up. Now there's a real racket for ya! But hey, you just bailed them guys out, lucky you. Razz

Talk about a cold hearted bunch here! Just going by the clip this guy hardly sounds like the money grubbing scum class. He was an institutional investment manager. And he was apparently good at it. But with the market tanking who's putting their money into the market these days?

Had this story been about a commercial electrician or an independent plumber it probably wouldn't have been national news (with apologies to Joe the plumber) and you'd all be crying right along with him at his plight. But because he had a better paying job it's time to kick the guy while he's down, I guess.

I don't believe I kicked him while he was down, and I don't believe I'd cry over an electrician or a plumber either. I work a job. I'm working on a degree. I live within my means. Not a damn person is bailing me out. He didn't set aside anything for a rainy day and that's not my problem. Neither is everybody else losing their jobs.

Mama - I think Sparks missed the sarcasm of your post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 1:40 pm

paul87920 wrote:
Mirage wrote:
paul87920 wrote:

I don't believe I kicked him while he was down, and I don't believe I'd cry over an electrician or a plumber either. I work a job. I'm working on a degree. I live within my means. Not a damn person is bailing me out. He didn't set aside anything for a rainy day and that's not my problem. Neither is everybody else losing their jobs.

Mama - I think Sparks missed the sarcasm of your post.

Wink That's why I've always thought you were a smart cookie!
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 2:20 pm

paul87920 wrote:
Mirage wrote:
paul87920 wrote:

I think the guy in the video made some incredibly poor choices and I'm with Paul in that he brought things on himself. Once you have a family, you have a responsibility to make good decisions. He had a job paying $750,000/yr. with benefits and he quit that to start his own business. Really dumb move there. He was already living in a home that looks like it could be in an episode of cribs. Did he really need to risk his family's financial future to make even more money? I really wish that every one of the risk takers on Wall Street who made bad bets that taxpayers have to make good on were forced into similar situations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 2:34 pm

So, you complain when people make X amount of money and when they make X amount of money they are stupid when they go off to try and better themselves?

I feel bad for this man and think that he should just look into all the social welfare this government has to offer him and his family.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 5:16 pm

sparks wrote:

I think the guy in the video made some incredibly poor choices and I'm with Paul in that he brought things on himself. Once you have a family, you have a responsibility to make good decisions. He had a job paying $750,000/yr. with benefits and he quit that to start his own business. Really dumb move there. He was already living in a home that looks like it could be in an episode of cribs. Did he really need to risk his family's financial future to make even more money? I really wish that every one of the risk takers on Wall Street who made bad bets that taxpayers have to make good on were forced into similar situations.

What a fountain of Christian compassion.

WWJD???
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 5:44 pm

He wouldn't gamble on Wall Street for one...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 5:47 pm

paul87920 wrote:
He wouldn't gamble on Wall Street for one...

LOL, not in today's economy he sure wouldn't! Razz
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 5:49 pm

I just don't understand these people rich or poor that get themselves into these situations. I don't have pity on the poor who choose to waste their money on lottery tickets either. As far as what Jesus would do goes, I was always taught that gambling was immoral.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 5:53 pm

Don't say that in the Bingo hall at St. Anne's... LOL

I think you said it best a few posts up:

Quote :

I agree with you completely, which is why I have issues with our social programs and who it goes out to. I think what you stated is the responsibility of all of us- to go out and work hard to get what we need and then what we want. Not be "bailed out" cuz we can't get our shit together to take care of ourselves.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:04 pm

The social programs while well-intended are in dire need of reform. People who don't need help are ciphering off the money, and the people who truly do need it have to go through so much hell before they can actually get it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:11 pm

Amen brutha-

Which is why you will hear people like me complain about the programs.

There are people who learn to play the system just to receive aid because they are too damn lazy to go work or think the gov't owes them for something (insert lame azz reason here). I wouldn't so much mind my money going towards giving people a hand "up" to get back on their feet, not a hand "out".
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:15 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
I wouldn't so much mind my money going towards giving people a hand "up" to get back on their feet, not a hand "out".
And I even don't have a problem with hand outs to people who are never going to be able to get back up on their feet like the elderly and disabled.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:22 pm

No, me neither- we can never overlook their place in society as equally deserving to live a good life by having their needs met.

But our gov't is out of control as exampled by current bail out events.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:45 pm

Come to think of it I have noticed a number of gas stations go out of business in the last several months. Were they also foolish for investing? Or were they perhaps just taking a chance at the the American dream at the wrong time. If you think about the money involved it really doesn't take long to lose what some would deem a fortune based on 1970s wealth perceptions.

$1 million in business investment ain't a drop in the bucket anymore. Remember those 2 fire engines in PA that had a crash last week and the department lost $1 mil on those 2 trucks?

Sure the guy took risks with saved money. He apparently also had a little set aside for a rainy day though to keep him going the last couple of years.

Yes there is a lot of money grubbing scum out there but know what? This guy didn't get you to bail him out. He took his own risks. Wanna be mad at somebody? Get mad at credit card companies. On top of what you already know about some of their seedier business practices and recent bailout it was reported on Fox yesterday night that now they want to come after people who pay on time to help make up lost revenue from their predatory lending practices and also that they may need ANOTHER Federal bailout. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:48 pm

paul87920 wrote:
The social programs while well-intended are in dire need of reform. People who don't need help are ciphering off the money, and the people who truly do need it have to go through so much hell before they can actually get it.

Absolutely. You can hardly find anyone who wants to deny needed assistance to the truly needy. The problem is that when government gets involved it usually plays favorites to the truly greedy. Wink
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 6:51 pm

It's set up to fail the truly needy. They end up homeless or dead before they can get approved, but the people who can hold out and don't need it usually get it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty3/21/2009, 8:25 pm

paul87920 wrote:
It's set up to fail the truly needy. They end up homeless or dead before they can get approved, but the people who can hold out and don't need it usually get it.

Well take the case of the Trustees office. I have been saying eliminate the government overhead and let existing charities handle the charatable monies since they actually have their own resources towards the goals already. But why do recipients balk at that idea? They said the charities ask too many questions. As they say, there's your sign. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!   From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo! Empty

Back to top Go down

From Wall Street to delivering pizzas, boo-hoo!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next