Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie Review: Watchmen

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
paul87920

paul87920

Movie Review: Watchmen Empty
PostSubject: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/15/2009, 6:59 pm

I won't lie. This was the worst movie I've recently spent money to go see. In the beginning the movie is really jumpy from past to present scenes leaving the viewer mildly confused. I had a hard time telling who everyone was outside of a few consistent characters. There was a blue man who found it necessary to constantly show his schlong, and when you leave you start question everything. I won't pay to see this again including renting it. Wait for it to go to TV.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/15/2009, 7:01 pm

So it's not a good superhero movie?

I'm looking forward to Fast and the Furious 3!
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/15/2009, 7:42 pm

When compared to the recent ones I've seen like Iron Man and The Dark Knight I'd have to say that it wasn't a good superhero movie.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/15/2009, 8:10 pm

Watchmen is definitely not your run-of-the-mill superhero story. Not by a long shot... Anyone going to see it expecting such will be greatly disappointed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/15/2009, 9:11 pm

So nothing like a Fantastic Four?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/15/2009, 9:52 pm

Heretic wrote:
Watchmen is definitely not your run-of-the-mill superhero story. Not by a long shot... Anyone going to see it expecting such will be greatly disappointed.

I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be... Mad
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/16/2009, 11:12 am

Ohhmama wrote:

No.

paul87920 wrote:

Well, the graphic novel was kind of a "what if masked vigilantes are real" scenario set during the cold war. How would the world react to superhuman individual, and who watches the watchmen? It elevated the "comic book" into a very real form of literature/art, and it turned the superhero genre on its head portraying the "heroes" as real people, just as flawed as the rest of us. Comedian was a complete sadist, Dr. Manhattan (the only one with any *real* abilities) is so completely detached from his humanity he doesn't even wear clothes anymore...

So, if you're looking for a "Boy finds meteor. Boy gains powers. Boy defeats bad guy." story, you won't find it here.

Granted, I haven't seen the movie yet... but as a fan of the comic, I think everything looks absolutely amazing. Rorschach alone will be worth the price of admission. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/16/2009, 11:35 am

I like this genre, and it sounds interesting, but I think I'll wait to see it on PPV, but then again I usually do ... Smile
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/16/2009, 11:47 am

How would you say it compares to The Matrix?
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/16/2009, 5:08 pm

Heretic wrote:
Ohhmama wrote:

No.

paul87920 wrote:

Well, the graphic novel was kind of a "what if masked vigilantes are real" scenario set during the cold war. How would the world react to superhuman individual, and who watches the watchmen? It elevated the "comic book" into a very real form of literature/art, and it turned the superhero genre on its head portraying the "heroes" as real people, just as flawed as the rest of us. Comedian was a complete sadist, Dr. Manhattan (the only one with any *real* abilities) is so completely detached from his humanity he doesn't even wear clothes anymore...

So, if you're looking for a "Boy finds meteor. Boy gains powers. Boy defeats bad guy." story, you won't find it here.

Granted, I haven't seen the movie yet... but as a fan of the comic, I think everything looks absolutely amazing. Rorschach alone will be worth the price of admission. Very Happy

Sounds like it would be an interesting concept in book form, but as a movie it was really hard to follow.
Back to top Go down
Heretic

Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/21/2009, 6:24 pm

Well, I was finally able to see the movie last night, and damn... I thought that movie was absolutely amazing. As I was expecting (and as my favorite), Rorshach made it worth my time, but everything else was simply awesome. However it's definitely possible that reading the novel may be a prerequisite for enjoying the movie... It's long, there's definitely a lot of ground covered and its by no means your standard fare superhero movie... there's no Hollywood ending wrapped up in a neat little bow.

And I suppose the giant blue dork at least warrants a mention. though I've heard a lot about it, in all honesty I didn't think it was that noticeable, or at least that much of a problem. Like I said before, there really is a point to it, and there were no gratuitous or unnecessary closeups... I didn't find it anymore disturbing or gratuitous than the statue of David.

So, all in all, good movie, though you may have to know what you're getting yourself into.
Back to top Go down
paul87920

paul87920

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty3/21/2009, 6:28 pm

Yeah, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I read and understood the book first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review: Watchmen   Movie Review: Watchmen Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie Review: Watchmen
Page 1 of 1