Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Christmas Story

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/19/2008, 10:08 am

Has anyone gone to see the Christmas Story exhibit at the welcome center in Hammond? I'm a huge fan and was thinking of taking the kiddies but don't want to be disappointed...
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/19/2008, 11:09 am

I'm planning to early next week. Is there an admission price? Within the next day or 2 I'll be posting a short list of must see Christmas house decorations.
Back to top Go down
voter3

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/19/2008, 11:25 am

From what I have heard it is pretty cool and I dont believe there is a cost. I look forward to the list Artie its always nice to know where to find the really cool houses
Back to top Go down

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/19/2008, 12:35 pm

From what I've seen there is no cost. I too was thinking of going next week with the kiddies... I saw an article on nwi.com about candy cane lane in crown point and I think I will take them there too Smile

There used to be a "mansion" in Crete that lit up the entire house and maid quarters every year. They stopped doing that some time ago. My parents would take us there and when I started dating my husband we would take him there too. I loved his reaction to it, esp. since he's jewish...lol. To this day he still wishes that house would decorate like it used to, or at least find another house in the area like it.
Back to top Go down

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/19/2008, 12:42 pm

I remember when the former owner of the Oakland A's (who died not to long ago) used to decorate his land in LaPorte County for Christmas and allow vehicles to drive through and see it
Back to top Go down

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/20/2008, 6:49 pm

I have the addy of a site online where you can get A Christmas Story items,like a leg lamp ornament.If anyone's interested I'll post the addy.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/20/2008, 8:07 pm

Artie60438 wrote:
I'm planning to early next week. Is there an admission price? Within the next day or 2 I'll be posting a short list of must see Christmas house decorations.

artie, if youve never seen that guy on crane place in hammonds exhibit. its a must for local folks. the guy literally borrows every neighbors house on the block for his display. it isnt fancy. but its very cool.

someone somewhere will remember the link to the websight about it, i hope. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/21/2008, 7:52 am

the oracle wrote:

artie, if youve never seen that guy on crane place in hammonds exhibit. its a must for local folks. the guy literally borrows every neighbors house on the block for his display. it isnt fancy. but its very cool.

someone somewhere will remember the link to the websight about it, i hope. Very Happy

I loved that display,Oracle,especially because they have lots of old school decorations. 7000 lights,30 blow-up figures,12 foot Ferris wheel,and of course the leg lamp in the window. It's at 3033 Crane Place Hammond,In Hrs are 5-10PM www.peteyville.net

I'm using "The Best Christmas Decorations in Chicago" as my reference. http://www.christmashouses.com
There aren't a whole lot of entries for NW In,unfortunately.

Other suggested displays are.....

2833 Lancelot Lane. Dyer,In 6-10PM

Washington Park Festival of Holiday Lights
Lake Shore Dr @ Franklin St. Michigan City,In
The holiday lights in Washington Park are the largest free display in the entire Midwest, with close to 30 acres of decorations, 40 displays, 2 miles of extension cords, and millions of bulbs.

Teibels Restaurant US30 & 41 is mentioned for an HO train set up and their interior decorations

13320 84th Place, St John,In animated display,7000 lights,radio station. I got this one off another site.
------
Illinois

Sauk Village,Il 1951 219th Place. 4-10PM

South Chicago Heights,Il 3332 Lynwood Drive 4:30-10 PM

South Holland,IL
16912 Manor Drive Dusk-12AM
16428 Woodlawn East Avenue 4:30-11PM
639 East 158th St 4:30-11PM

Monee,IL 25825 Truman Court 5-11PM
Somewhat of a distance,but I've seen this one first hand and it is stunning! 35,000 Lights,226 plastic figurines,and a computerized light and music show that starts on the half hour.

If anyone is traveling to Chicaoo or any of the surrounding counties and wants some recommendations,just post, let me know where,and I'll post more
Back to top Go down
voter3

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/21/2008, 2:53 pm

Too cold today artie but maybe before christmas eve
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/21/2008, 4:04 pm

Voter,All of them stay up until the New Years,some until the end of the weekend,Jan 6.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/22/2008, 6:47 am

I visited some of these sites last night and here are my observations..

2833 Lancelot Lane. Dyer,In 6-10PM A really,really nice display. This is well worth the trip
------
Illinois

Sauk Village,Il 1951 219th Place. 4-10PM We got there and just said "huh,this made the book"? I suggest you skip it.

South Holland,IL
16912 Manor Drive Dusk-12AM The best of the South Holland bunch with a couple of other nicely decorated houses on the same street.
16428 Woodlawn East Avenue 4:30-11PM This was ok
639 East 158th St 4:30-11PM This was ok

If anyone is traveling to Chicaoo or any of the surrounding counties and wants some recommendations,just post, let me know where,and I'll post more
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/22/2008, 3:39 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
Has anyone gone to see the Christmas Story exhibit at the welcome center in Hammond? I'm a huge fan and was thinking of taking the kiddies but don't want to be disappointed...

I went there today,Mama. No admission cost. It consists of a bunch of displays that depict scenes from the movie. Some have a few moving parts,along with short explanations of each. Little kids would enjoy it. There's also a display featuring some really ugly lamps. The gift shop has lots of movie related souvenirs.

Quote :
A Christmas Story Comes Home

A Christmas Story and Hammond History
The 1983 holiday classic, A Christmas Story, is celebrating its 25th year anniversary. The film was written by Jean Shepherd, Leigh Brown and Bob Clark and was based on Shepherd's 1966 book, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. The book is a compilation of short stories based on Shepherd's experiences growing up in Hammond, Indiana. A number of the short stories appeared in Playboy magazine and originated from his unscripted radio broadcasts in the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

Shepherd narrated the entire movie and also had a cameo in the Higbee's Department Store scene. The movie was set in the fictional town of Hohman, Indiana which was a disguise for Shepherd's hometown: Hammond. Hohman is one of Hammond's busiest downtown streets.

A Christmas Story Comes Home - The Exhibit
The Indiana Welcome Center will feature six animated displays featuring scenes from A Christmas Story. The displays include; Higbee's Department Store Window, Flick's Tongue and the Triple Dog Dare, It's a Major Award, Santa's Mountain at Higbee's, The Bumpus Hounds and the Parker Living Room. The displays were first showcased in 2003 in the windows of the Macy's in New York City.
A Christmas Story Comes Home will open on November 28th and end January 11th.

Relive the "You'll shoot your eye out" scene atop Santa's Mountain
Have your picture taken with Santa on top of Santa's Mountain, a replica of the one featured in the movie. In the famous scene, Ralphie Parker asks Santa for an Official Red Ryder BB Gun, and Santa responds, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid." Photos with Santa on Santa's Mountain are available every Saturday and Sunday between Thanksgiving and Christmas from 11 am to 3pm at the Indiana Welcome Center. Children have the opportunity to slide down the big red slide into a pillow of snow. Photos are $5 a piece/person.

FREE Admission and Extended Hours
Open Sunday-Wednesday 8am-6pm
Thursday-Saturday 8am-8pm
On Display at
Indiana Welcome Center
7770 Corinne Drive
(I-80/94 & Kennedy Avenue south)
Hammond, IN 46323
219-989-7979/800-ALL-LAKE
Only 30 minutes from downtown Chicago!
http://www.southshorecva.com/listings/index.cfm
Back to top Go down

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/22/2008, 3:52 pm

Thanks Artie! I think we might go either tomorrow or Wed. For free I can't really complain, it'll be worth the experience either way... thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty12/22/2008, 4:05 pm

Ohhmama wrote:
Thanks Artie! I think we might go either tomorrow or Wed. For free I can't really complain, it'll be worth the experience either way... thanks again!

No problem. I think you'll be satisfied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Christmas Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Story   A Christmas Story Empty

Back to top Go down

A Christmas Story
Page 1 of 1