Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
UrRight

"It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty
PostSubject: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty2/16/2009, 9:50 am

"Most (electoral boards) are reasonable, but because we have so many, we have a lot of problems," said Orr who testified before the House Elections Committee in Springfield Wednesday. "We've got problems with delays, problems with politics. As (one lawmaker) said today, it's nuts because we have all these people recusing themselves because you have incumbents ruling on the properness of their opponents' petitions."
One option is for Orr's office to assume the duties of local electoral boards. That way, professionals who know election code and court precedent would rule on ballot challenges.
"I'm not looking for more work, but we have a serious problem that is really not in the public interest," Orr said. "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" when newcomers get kicked off the ballot for technical, political reasons.
McLaughlin's slate faces mayoral challenger Gerald Maher, Patrice Pykett for clerk and Kenneth Wzorek, Kenneth Houston and Marian Klemme for trustees. They followed tradition in Cook County by objecting to their opponents' petitions for petty reasons. It's really a waste of time.
I don't favor one side or the other in Orland Park's election. I would be writing the same column had McLaughlin's slate tried to remove Maher's slate from the ballot for silly reasons.
The point is, electoral boards need to be revamped or erased altogether. The list of candidates and potential candidates scatched out by their local electoral boards is long and tired.
A police sergeant in Calumet City, Pam Cap, is dangling by threads in her battle to challenge incumbent mayor Michelle Qualkinbush. She has resorted to the courts, but time is running out.
If we're going to talk about election reform and campaign funding all the rest, let's start where it really counts - in your towns.
Do away with electoral boards. It's a start.

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/mcqueary/1426552,021209mcqueary.article

How can Ms. Qualkinbush look at herself in the mirror each morning? queen
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty2/21/2009, 5:54 pm

Well, checking back in, guess we have no il POSTERS. Why's That?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty3/7/2009, 10:12 pm

It doesn't look like we have any posters from anywhere. Why's that? Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty3/8/2009, 12:16 am

The point is, electoral boards need to be revamped or erased altogether.

Wanna know WHY that ain't happening? In a word - Bloggo!

Yep. Bloggo, despite his faults, is actually the poster child for what happens when you buck the status quo. Some pundits claim what did in the governor was nothing less than trying to save the people money by purchasing drugs from Canada, which royally ticked off the pharmaceutical industry who then decided he had to go. Remember how Madagan claimed the legislature was trying to get rid of him for a year or more before the Senate seat for hire claims? Yet the oust the government effort wasn't really going anywhere until recently after the Senate seat accusations, was it? And we still don't know that he actually broke the law on that in particular or whether the whole thing wasn't merely political in nature just to free the legislature to finally impeach him.

About the only way to effect change has now days become a near impossibility. Either a group from within one of the 2 major parties comes in to unseat incumbents based upon a theme similar to that "Contract for America" or else a citizens party movement essentially does that on a local level. And that almost succeeded in LC over property taxes but it soon fizzled due to infighting among the various faction groups. And that just goes to show exactly how hard it really is to gain enough traction and momentum to effect much real change.

Now some may wish to point to Gov Daniels and some of his radical changes but I know some of those "reforms" are troubled behind the scenes such as this deal to sell the Children & Family Services to a division of IBM. You probably won't hear too much about it until it's too late and frankly I'm surprise it hasn't come to a head already. But I am not at liberty to tell all I know about it except to say I have little doubt that it likely will erupt during Daniels watch.

There is a reason why things change slowly, if ever for the better. It's hard to go against the tide. And today how many are truly willing to even try and chance not only failure but ridicule for even trying?
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty3/11/2009, 7:27 pm

I was going to ask you, Mirage, what is the deal with Children and Family Services? I was told by various people (even in the banking system), their "mother, etc" are living in Indiana, but are using IL addresses because they can't get any medical help.

What disturbed me most, by talking to someone who works the court system in Hammond, was, the fact that she told me that Indiana is at the "bottom of helping elders with health care." She is in the system, and as a worker, told me two horrifying stories - both were based on the fact that the elderly people could not get the health care needed in Indiana, and both died waiting, despite the fact that they had their health history, and still were denied help. She informed me that the state of Indiana is actually trying to rid the old people off the assistance in health care, making room for the younger ones.

This is my opinion - if that is true, which I believe it is, because an elderly friend had to hire a lawyer to get the medical attention for his wife, and nearly lost his home, back a few years ago...I think the state of Indiana needs revamping on health care. Kick the idiots off that have more than two children. I believe in IL they did put a cap on the limit of the amount of assistance you can receive per child. Food stamp wise, that was based on how many people lived with you. Now what they offer medical wise for the elderly and young women who have children, they are going to be covered.

When you compare Indiana to Illinois based on what I have been told, Indiana awards the young, and ignores the old or middle aged. They offer no services for the elderly. I heard Indiana is the worst state for Medical help.

I have been emailing, writing the WhiteHouse and asking Obama to make things fair across every state. It's terrible that Indiana is treating our elders the way they are. They paid their taxes; they deserve help when times are down. I also hate the fact that you can't go and plan a trip to another state, because of the timing of your medication that may be due while you are visiting out of state.

As far as what we were discussing, though....I agree. It's become impossible to effect change. They say to call your legislatures, and request them to back up such and such bills, but when you call, (I email, now), they have recordings that hang up on you. Honestly - one major bill I am poking for - and millions are involved is that insurance companies have to quit treating hearing aids as "cosmetics". I'm sure my sister enjoys paying out for 10 hearing aids = 2 adults 3 children at $2,400 each. Many people like her work, hold two degrees, and yet their insurance companies tell them it is "cosmetic". Oh yeah? I'd like to see them walk aroud with ear plugs and call it "cosmetic".

After reading what has been behind Burris lying and perjuring himself, all the connections behind him getting that seat...all I have learned is Daley, Blago, and the rest of the politicians are only out for themselves. This goes for Michelle - she booted Pam - but boosted Pam in retrospect, and it happens all over. People have come to believe the only profession is to be a politician and "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine." It all sucks. I don't think even Daniels is all that great; but he certainly is better than most politicians I've ever read about. It took great guts to say what he said about Lake County.

Revamp? I'm looking at the ages of these certain politicians...Rudy Clay, 70's, Burris, in his 70s, change? They only want what greed tells them...more money. It is never enough for them. Same goes for Michelle, as I had heard if she looses the campaign money goes toward her home she has been building in Indiana. It isn't a rumor, it's the truth - something politicians don't tell you.
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty3/11/2009, 9:49 pm

UrRight wrote:

When you compare Indiana to Illinois based on what I have been told, Indiana awards the young, and ignores the old or middle aged. They offer no services for the elderly. I heard Indiana is the worst state for Medical help.

"It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Usamap

Indiana shows great fluctuations in its Medicaid program scores from one category to another. While it ranks 45th overall, its rankings by category range from 16th to 51st.
http://www2.citizen.org/hrg/medicaid/ResultsStateOverview.aspx?State0=IN
Back to top Go down
UrRight

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty3/12/2009, 8:28 am

Hey, Artie. Thanks, but why is it left up to each state to dole out any rules they see fit? Why aren't there government-mandated guidelines to apply for each state? I don't understand how one person can qualify in one state and get the "no" in other states?
Back to top Go down
Artie60438

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty3/12/2009, 9:18 am

UrRight wrote:
Hey, Artie. Thanks, but why is it left up to each state to dole out any rules they see fit? Why aren't there government-mandated guidelines to apply for each state? I don't understand how one person can qualify in one state and get the "no" in other states?

I don't understand that either since the Feds fund about half of the money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"   "It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values" Empty

Back to top Go down

"It's pretty sad and a betrayal of democratic values"
Page 1 of 1