Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sparks

Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty
PostSubject: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/15/2009, 5:37 pm

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/1428709,hbskul.article
The Hobart School board is considering requiring community service of all students in order to graduate high school.
Under a proposal being discussed by the Hobart School Board, juniors and seniors would have to roll up their sleeves and complete several hours of community service before earning a diploma.

"My thought is that students should complete 20 hours of community service. But that hasn't been decided," School Board Trustee David Bigler said.

I think this is a great idea that should be adopted by every school board. Requiring students to give back to their community is an excellent way for students to show their appreciation for the education their community provides for them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/15/2009, 5:58 pm

While I don't completely disagree with you, not all kids have the time to dedicate to community service. Kids are already busy with xtra curricular activities, jobs, homework, etc. etc. Is this 20 hours to be completed thru-out their entire stint in HS or during their senior year? If it's entire stint, I would suppose it shouldn't be to hard to do.

On a similar note, my niece tried to get into the National Honor Society but was rejected because even though she is an A student, she didn't have any community service, sports, etc in her "resume". I think more and more societies and future job prospects would like to see people with community service in their background.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/15/2009, 6:34 pm

When I was serving on a local board, the best time many of the students got their Community Service obligations out of the way, was in the summer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/15/2009, 7:15 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
When I was serving on a local board, the best time many of the students got their Community Service obligations out of the way, was in the summer.

That would be a very good option for them then. Smile
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/15/2009, 7:36 pm

Students with extra curricular activities could do community service through those programs. Athletes could donate their time to an organization or their community for example.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/15/2009, 9:25 pm

I've read where members of certain football teams for example will spend time in nursing homes, singing, etc. I would think that could count towards the community service.
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/15/2009, 9:41 pm

Church activities can count, also. I think most kids are already doing 20 hours and only need to document them.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/16/2009, 6:01 am

http://www.rebuildingtogether.org/ Hobart already has this organization in place. They could accomplish far more in the community if they had hundreds of high school kids donating 20 hours to help those less fortunate than themselves.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/17/2009, 6:47 pm

sparks wrote:
http://www.rebuildingtogether.org/ Hobart already has this organization in place. They could accomplish far more in the community if they had hundreds of high school kids donating 20 hours to help those less fortunate than themselves.
Why does it have to be about helping those less fortunate? Get off the bandwagon. Community service involves a broad range of programs. It could be something as simple as painting curbs for the town, or picking up trash along the highway. And yes, I have a huge problem with handing out free services to those that are "less fortunate than others". Too many people in a community abuse the privilege. In Calumet City, there are handicap parking spaces at the curbs in residential neighborhoods. Not parking lots but on the street. There are also signs in the same neighborhoods that say Residential Parking Only. What? I am a resident, and I pay taxes, so I will park wherever I wish. Also, did you know in Harvey (IL) there are 13 food pantries? Harvey has professional pantry raiders that go from one to another collecting food, and selling it in Chicago.

So Community Service should benefit the person FIRST. If it happens to be someone less fortunate, then so be it.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/17/2009, 7:55 pm

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
Why does it have to be about helping those less fortunate? Get off the bandwagon. Community service involves a broad range of programs. It could be something as simple as painting curbs for the town, or picking up trash along the highway. And yes, I have a huge problem with handing out free services to those that are "less fortunate than others". Too many people in a community abuse the privilege. In Calumet City, there are handicap parking spaces at the curbs in residential neighborhoods. Not parking lots but on the street. There are also signs in the same neighborhoods that say Residential Parking Only. What? I am a resident, and I pay taxes, so I will park wherever I wish. Also, did you know in Harvey (IL) there are 13 food pantries? Harvey has professional pantry raiders that go from one to another collecting food, and selling it in Chicago.

So Community Service should benefit the person FIRST. If it happens to be someone less fortunate, then so be it.
Wow, that's a pretty ugly self portrait that you have created here, far more effective than anything I could have said about you. I can say from experience that the people that receive help from this program have been vetted. The home I worked on last spring was for a divorced mother of three. She was a nurse who had suffered a stroke in her mid-forties and couldn't work anymore. The program is privately funded and run and does just fine without the help of compassionate conservatives like yourself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/17/2009, 8:29 pm

I think instead of attacking BWG, you could have considered what he said. He's right, not all volunteering has to do with helping those "less fortunate". Volunteering can be done in many ways as he pointed out. Beautifying one's community is equally important as building a home for someone and is equally important as volunteering your time to children's programs.

Unfortunately we all don't live in a fantasy world, like certain individuals, where poor or unfortunate individuals surely don't abuse a system there to help. Scammers come from all backgrounds of wealth. Time to stop thinking that all "unfortunate" people are good, wealthy people bad...

What is important is to figure out what fits best with what one has to offer when it comes to voluteering.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/17/2009, 10:53 pm

The thing is, the keyword is VOLUNTEER

Being forced to do it to graduate eliminates the term VOLUNTEER and turns it into FORCED service

Big red flag as far as I am concerned, as being forced to do it just to get a piece of paper that is required to get a job is not right

Volunteer work is supposed to be just that, not forced to get something in return(unless its court ordered)
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/18/2009, 6:51 am

mike3775 wrote:

Being forced to do it to graduate eliminates the term VOLUNTEER and turns it into FORCED service

Big red flag as far as I am concerned, as being forced to do it just to get a piece of paper that is required to get a job is not right

Volunteer work is supposed to be just that, not forced to get something in return(unless its court ordered)
Mike, in any discussion about education, I think we need to look at what society's goals are in providing public education. Here is what the founding father's thought about the role of education in society.
http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/webfeatures_viewpoints_education_goals/
A Historical Perspective

The current overemphasis on basic academic skills is a historical aberration. Throughout American history, we have held a more expansive set of goals for our public schools.

When the Founders endorsed the need for public education, their motives were mostly political. Learning to read was less important than, and only a means toward, helping citizens make wise political decisions. History instruction was thought to teach students good judgment, enabling them to learn from prior generations' mistakes and successes and inspiring them to develop such character traits as honesty, integrity, and compassion. The Founders had no doubt that schools could produce students who exhibited these traits, and it would never have occurred to them that instruction in reading and arithmetic alone would guarantee good citizenship.

If you want schools to teach students to become productive members of society, one way you can do that is to allow them to experience how satisfying it is to help someone who is less fortuanate.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/18/2009, 7:51 am

Ohhmama wrote:
I think instead of attacking BWG, you could have considered what he said. He's right, not all volunteering has to do with helping those "less fortunate". Volunteering can be done in many ways as he pointed out. Beautifying one's community is equally important as building a home for someone and is equally important as volunteering your time to children's programs.

Unfortunately we all don't live in a fantasy world, like certain individuals, where poor or unfortunate individuals surely don't abuse a system there to help. Scammers come from all backgrounds of wealth. Time to stop thinking that all "unfortunate" people are good, wealthy people bad...

What is important is to figure out what fits best with what one has to offer when it comes to voluteering.
Unfortunately, when it comes to charitable work,the needs are far greater than the resources that are available to meet those needs. If you go to the ER for medical treatment,the staff decides who is going to be helped first based on medical need not who arrived first. Decisions about who is granted assistance made according to need. In many cases, if private assistance is not given, those people will end up requiring more taxpayer funded assistance. BTW, I did not attack BWG, I criticized what he wrote in his post. If there really are 13 food pantries in Harvey, as he claims, it is because of the widespread poverty in Harvey. The food bank that my church is involved with is a private,non-profit organization run by volunteers. I stand by my remarks that anyone who criticizes food banks looks pretty pathetic to others.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/18/2009, 8:08 am

sparks wrote:

Wow, that's a pretty ugly self portrait that you have created here, far more effective than anything I could have said about you. I can say from experience that the people that receive help from this program have been vetted. The home I worked on last spring was for a divorced mother of three. She was a nurse who had suffered a stroke in her mid-forties and couldn't work anymore. The program is privately funded and run and does just fine without the help of compassionate conservatives like yourself.
My case in point: Look at New Orleans! Five (5) years after that windstorm blew in, they still are sucking the government teat. Why? THAT'S ALL THEY KNOW. Some have moved out, just to become a burden on the next city and state. And how about that woman in California that just gave birth to another litter of eight more illegitimate kiddies. She was on welfare then, and she is on welfare now. But now the welfare in California is gone. My bet is she will end up in the midwest (possibly Illinois) with her hand out.

I know all too well about volunteering. I did it for eight years, for my community. Maybe I'm bitter because my community forgot to say "thanks".....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/18/2009, 8:23 am

voter3 wrote:
Students with extra curricular activities could do community service through those programs. Athletes could donate their time to an organization or their community for example.

I have been a life-long volunteer, in my church, and in my community. I have raised my children to do the same, and they have. My youngest will be a junior assistant coach for the Eggers Middle School Swim Team, when her swim season at Hammond High is over. She is involved in her school, church,etc, and is ranked 1st academically in her freshman class of 307.

That said, to FORCE kid's to volunteer is wrong as heck. It is alike communism, to force someone to work for the good of the state, with no recompense. I would be protesting this to the max, as this forced volunteerism has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Academics the kid's are supposed to be receiving in the school setting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/18/2009, 9:29 am

sparks wrote:
mike3775 wrote:

Mike, in any discussion about education, I think we need to look at what society's goals are in providing public education. Here is what the founding father's thought about the role of education in society.
http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/webfeatures_viewpoints_education_goals/
A Historical Perspective

The current overemphasis on basic academic skills is a historical aberration. Throughout American history, we have held a more expansive set of goals for our public schools.

When the Founders endorsed the need for public education, their motives were mostly political. Learning to read was less important than, and only a means toward, helping citizens make wise political decisions. History instruction was thought to teach students good judgment, enabling them to learn from prior generations' mistakes and successes and inspiring them to develop such character traits as honesty, integrity, and compassion. The Founders had no doubt that schools could produce students who exhibited these traits, and it would never have occurred to them that instruction in reading and arithmetic alone would guarantee good citizenship.

If you want schools to teach students to become productive members of society, one way you can do that is to allow them to experience how satisfying it is to help someone who is less fortuanate.

Sparks how is forcing someone to do volunteer work good?

Its forced, thus no benefit will come of it, because the kids did nothing wrong

All this will do is lead to more kids dropping out and signing up for GED classes

Forcing a child to do a voluntary service is not the right thing to do, especially when they have the threat of nbot being able to graduate high school over the head

If my son came to me tomorrow and said in order for him to graduate high school he has to do volunteer work, but he does not want to, I would withdraw him from school, and sign him up for adult education in order to get the GED, which is just as valid as a high school diploma, and he could still go to college if he desires

I love how some people think forcing kids to do the right thing will somehow make them turn out better, sorry if my son is doing fine without giving time to the community, why should he be forced to do it just to graduate?

The only time anyone should be forced to do volunteer work is when it is court ordered.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 6:26 am

Tiger1 wrote:
voter3 wrote:

I have been a life-long volunteer, in my church, and in my community. I have raised my children to do the same, and they have. My youngest will be a junior assistant coach for the Eggers Middle School Swim Team, when her swim season at Hammond High is over. She is involved in her school, church,etc, and is ranked 1st academically in her freshman class of 307.

That said, to FORCE kid's to volunteer is wrong as heck. It is alike communism, to force someone to work for the good of the state, with no recompense. I would be protesting this to the max, as this forced volunteerism has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Academics the kid's are supposed to be receiving in the school setting.

Requiring high school kids to complete 20 hours of community service is alike(sic) communism? That is absolutely ridiculous. The reason the law requires every student in this country goes to school is to educate them so they can participate in our democracy. What exactly you do mean when you throw out terms
like the good of the state? I picture high school kids doing the same kind of work that organizations like Hearts for Hammers already do, painting, landscaping,improving neighborhoods. Public schools should do far more than just teach our children academics, they should teach children character traits like honesty,integrity and compassion. For any democracy to succeed, students must be taught how to be good citizens and IMO, that includes giving back to the community that pays for their education.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 8:17 am

sparks wrote:
Requiring high school kids to complete 20 hours of community service is alike(sic) communism? That is absolutely ridiculous. The reason the law requires every student in this country goes to school is to educate them so they can participate in our democracy. What exactly you do mean when you throw out terms
like the good of the state? I picture high school kids doing the same kind of work that organizations like Hearts for Hammers already do, painting, landscaping,improving neighborhoods. Public schools should do far more than just teach our children academics, they should teach children character traits like honesty,integrity and compassion. For any democracy to succeed, students must be taught how to be good citizens and IMO, that includes giving back to the community that pays for their education.
Wrong once again....ever hear of home schooling?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 8:35 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:

Oh so now the community is paying for the kids textbooks? How about the lunches? When my son was in a public school, I remember having to pay $120 for textbooks, and over $15 a week for lunches. So the community should have been paying it right, so when is the community going to come over and do some volunteer work to help me out, since they were supposedly paying for my son's education

Look up the word Volunteer in the dictionary, and show me where it states that people should be forced to do it
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 8:53 am

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
sparks wrote:
How is that wrong? I stated that the law requires every kid to go to school. Since home schooling is recognized by the state as a form of school, I think your post is moronic.
Back to top Go down
BigWhiteGuy

BigWhiteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 9:00 am

sparks wrote:
How is that wrong? I stated that the law requires every kid to go to school. Since home schooling is recognized by the state as a form of school, I think your post is moronic.
Ooooooooooooo, moronic? Better check your "ground rules", dude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 11:18 am

forcing kids to volunteer to graduate is what is moronic

here is the definition of volunteer

Quote :

vol⋅un⋅teer
   /ˌvɒlənˈtɪər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [vol-uhn-teer] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.
2. a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.
3. Military. a person who enters the service voluntarily rather than through conscription or draft, esp. for special or temporary service rather than as a member of the regular or permanent army.
4. Law.
a. a person whose actions are not founded on any legal obligation so to act.
b. a person who intrudes into a matter that does not concern him or her, as a person who pays the debt of another where he or she is neither legally nor morally bound to do so and has no interest to protect in making the payment.
5. Agriculture. a volunteer plant.
6. (initial capital letter) a native or inhabitant of Tennessee (used as a nickname).
–adjective
7. of, pertaining to, or being a volunteer or volunteers: a volunteer fireman.
8. Agriculture. growing without being seeded, planted, or cultivated by a person; springing up spontaneously.
–verb (used without object)
9. to offer oneself for some service or undertaking.
10. to enter service or enlist as a volunteer.
–verb (used with object)
11. to offer (oneself or one's services) for some undertaking or purpose.
12. to give, bestow, or perform voluntarily: to volunteer a song.
13. to say, tell, or communicate voluntarily: to volunteer an explanation.
Origin:
1590–1600; < F volontaire < L voluntārius voluntary, with -eer for F -aire

Where in those definitions does it state that people should have to do it to gain anything?
Back to top Go down
Robin Banks

Robin Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 11:24 am

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
voter3 wrote:

So you think it is ok to take away jobs from landscapers, painters, and others in favor of forced volunteer labor. Great plan.
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty2/19/2009, 12:25 pm

Robin Banks wrote:
sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
voter3 wrote:

So you think it is ok to take away jobs from landscapers, painters, and others in favor of forced volunteer labor. Great plan.
This country has had a long tradition of citizens donating their labor to help others who are less fortunate.
There is all kinds of charitable work that can be done to help people who because of illness or injury do not have the financial means to pay for the work. The organization that I mentioned, Hearts for Hammers worked on homes that belonged to senior citizens,disabled and low income residents.So, in response to your question, no jobs would be taken away from anyone.It's always good to hear from compassionate conservatives,though.

HAMMOND | When Bernadine Kingkade stood in the yard and looked at her 1950s home, she saw beauty and a new family.

"It was in pretty bad shape until they got a hold of it," said the 83-year-old as she wiped tears from her eyes.

Kingkade's single-story home on New Jersey Avenue is one of 43 sites receiving improvements through Hammond's Hammers for Hearts Week of Hope, an affiliate of Group Workcamps. The Colorado-based Christian nonprofit performs short-term mission work.

More than 300 teenagers arrived Sunday to spend time making home repairs for seniors and low-income and disabled residents. They were sectioned into 58 crews that each include five youths and an adult team leader. Their work will end Friday.
http://nwi.com/articles/2008/06/26/news/lake_county/doc53ac1e0eba7fb9e8862574740009524e.txt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school   Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school Empty

Back to top Go down

Hobart to require volunteer service to graduate high school
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next