Let Freedom Reign!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Let Freedom Reign!

HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hammond’s, Energy future.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Center-Right

Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty
PostSubject: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/5/2009, 5:44 am

It was interesting to read various posters view points on alternative energy being implemented into the market place now and other technologies; more advanced that are still under going research. I would like to target the discussion to two questions; I am intrested in reading your replies; (if you choose to).

1. How or can Hammond implement other current green technologies in our city?

2. Does Hammond have the practical resources needed to sustain and produce reliable energy production needs and can it be quantified into real tax payer saving and a possible revenue stream down the road?

From what I have heard Ken -J (Sanitary District Commissioner) will be presenting his thoughts and research on the above topic at an up coming Council meeting; I believe this Monday night.
study
Back to top Go down
sparks

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/5/2009, 3:14 pm

Much of being green revolves around conserving energy. Hammond has a huge opportunity to conserve resources, create jobs and build their tax base if they quit tearing down homes that could be rehabbed. At present, Hammond is tearing down 50 to 100 homes a year that are in need of major repairs.In theory, the owners of the property are responsible for paying for the demo of these homes, but if the city can't collect the cost, the taxpayers foot the bill. In most cases, it doesn't make sense financially to build a new home on the property, so the city is creating a vacant lot and forcing the rest of the taxpayers to make up the lost tax revenue. If the city were to partner with the Hammond Career center, most of these run down homes could be retrofitted with energy efficient heating and cooling systems,windows,doors and insulation. Over two thirds of the price of any construction project is labor and profit. With the Career center providing free labor and the city reselling these homes at cost, this project makes sense. All we need now are the political leaders with the vision to do something other than tear down homes.
Back to top Go down
the oracle

the oracle

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/5/2009, 3:34 pm

one thing sparks. i know a lot of the money used on the tear downs is actually coming from federal and or state grants. still tax money, yes, but not property tax money.

very few of the buildings being torn down are salvageable. most are very old, and have sub standard foundations at this point.
Back to top Go down
voter3

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/6/2009, 7:07 am

Sparks we take all of that into consideration when they are chosen to be demolished and the original owners are notified to repair OR demolish. With the 3.9 Million the feds are going to give for stabilizing neighborhoods that plan may be more reasonable. What is being torn down now are mostly fire damaged or structurally damaged and would take more to bring to minimum standards then to demo. Amazing what termites can do to a otherwise normal looking house!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/6/2009, 7:20 am

Instead of homebound, which may encourage ownership by those that really can't afford it, I would like to see a program that gives grants or no interest loans to property owners willing to install "green" technology on their property to reduce energy use.
For a homeowner it could be as simple as installing a tankless water heater; thus lowering their usage of natural gas and their monthly nipsco bill. The initial cost can make this relatively simple project out of reach for many, especially in todays' economy.
New construction could be given a grant for integrated thin film solar panels for a grid-tie system.
Comercial properties could be given a rebate on their taxes or a grant, depending on revenue. The UPS sorting facility in Palm Springs uses 100% solar energy for their lighting system which is significant. I remember reading about a laundromat, in the midwest, that is using solar for most of their hot water needs.
These are not the balky Rube Goldberg contraptions that people remember from the '70s, the technology has matured into reliable systems that are in use everyday around the world.
All it takes is willpower, education, and some help with the money.

Last edited by Bill B on 2/6/2009, 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingered some spelling because of the small laptop)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/6/2009, 5:54 pm

Oddly I just started a thread about wireless electricity.

2. Does Hammond have the practical resources needed to sustain and produce reliable energy production needs and can it be quantified into real tax payer saving and a possible revenue stream down the road?

But to address the OP's question it isn't practical for a city like Hammond to take on energy use in the way I assume you are referring to. Perhaps with respect to it's city vehicles, public building lighting and climate controls but not for general energy needs.
Back to top Go down
board monkey

board monkey

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/6/2009, 11:03 pm

I think that laundromat was here in Hammond Bill, on Calumet near Michigan. It recently burned down after being out of business for about a year after all the solar panels were stolen.
Back to top Go down
Center-Right

PostSubject: Ken J at councilmeeting tonight   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/9/2009, 1:37 pm

Well, Ken J. is going to step up to the plate tonight and address the Hammond City council.
From what I understand, he will discuss the possiblities of implmenting current technologies that can reduce municiple energy costs in Hammond.

The need to invest in other technologies that can lead to more reliable energy consumption needs should be discussed, and the Hammond City Council Chambers is a good place to start as any.

I dont think too many people out there will shed a tear if NIPSCO is nicked a bit.
Ken J. should have something published in the paper soon. Hopefully a reporter will be on hand tonight. Question
Back to top Go down
Center-Right

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty2/18/2009, 7:10 pm

I know cost is out of line right now, but look down the road and with improved technology. cost will come down.

Think along the lines of inincorporating new home design plans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/business/15novel.html?_r=1&em
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hammond’s, Energy future.   Hammond’s, Energy future. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hammond’s, Energy future.
Page 1 of 1